• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thirteen years after its release, a new sidequest is discovered in Final Fantasy IX

Why does the best Final Fantasy have the worst official guide? Fuck Playonline and it's bullshit hoops.
13 years ago I bought the guide and still ended up printing off like 200 pages from gamefaqs on stuff the guide never covered.
Thanks for the paper and Ink college! ^_^

Futureman

I'm not joking. Don't get me wrong, it's cool that new stuff can be discovered in old games, but do you actually think this sort of thing is good design?

They probably didn't intend it as "good design." They probably intended it as "secret that only the hardcore would discover."

Leeness

FFIX <3

Replaying it right now, and oh yeah, now I remember why I never beat Ozma.

Chocograph hunting drives me up the damn wall haha. I get legit mad at the game.

This is really neat! I love things that get discovered years and years later. You know you'd all probably pee yourselves if the Triforce was found in OoT.

gwarm01

Are you talkin about the Chris Houlihan room? That's been known for about a decade now, I think.

I discovered this on accident when the game first came out. I forget what sequence I must have been following, but I fell into the hole covered by a shrub right by the river, and landed in the secret room. None of my friends believed me.

Sulla1980

Very nice find. I love it when sidequests are buried to such a degree that the majority of players might miss them. Makes the experience more unique.

I don't understand why people have to be negative about this. It's an optional side quest with an optional item. If it was a -key- item then maybe the bad comments and ugly words could be made but this is pretty bad ass. This was the first game I played on my launch PS2... I was so stoked :p Love the game...

.la1n

This is terrible. It's a case of Guide Dang It taken to the next level.

One of the worst aspects of most JRPGs, even to this day, is this sort of hidden content. It doesn't require careful thought to find, or interesting gameplay, or even persistence. It requires a FAQ--or even worse, like in this case, a FAQ plus playing the game years later when secrets are discovered. There's absolutely nothing clever or challenging about this sort of design--it's the designers being obscure for obscurity's sake.

No fun allowed

Shito

Ok, wait a minute there...

It was discovered by The_Kusabi_ (through the Ultimania guide)
... so, basically, Japan knew about this all along, it's just that us westerners didn't notice up until now?
Because, well, if this is indeed in the Ultimania guide, I would hardly call it "discovering a new sidequest"... It's cool that we finally take notice of this, though.

Recall

One of the worst aspects of most JRPGs, even to this day, is this sort of hidden content. It doesn't require careful thought to find, or interesting gameplay, or even persistence. It requires a FAQ--or even worse, like in this case, a FAQ plus playing the game years later when secrets are discovered. There's absolutely nothing clever or challenging about this sort of design--it's the designers being obscure for obscurity's sake.

Its ok all modern games are just linear corridors you have nothing to worry about as it won't happen again...

... :(

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Highly recommend GalrandtheGreat. Even if you don't play FF his videos can be fascinating.

He also has full 100% playthroughs of the Donkey Kong Countrys and Crash Bandicoots.

Ceebs

Agree 100%. This kind of stuff is awful.

Good hidden secrets are things like the Bald Bull Punch Out camera flash.

Vidpixel

yeah, that makes it alright.

zodiac spear made me hate XII. So bs.

Unlike this side quest, though, that was for the ultimate weapon of the game, and yes, that was poorly designed. However, you can complete FFXII perfectly fine without the Zodiac Spear. Still, it was dumb to make a powerful weapon like that missable, especially since Square Enix knew most people would want to obtain it.

Tizoc

Well this just blew my fucking mind, and I've played FF9 dozens of times by now.
Granted the item to be gained isn't exactly worth going through it IMO, but my 'complete all sidequests' OCD in FF9 compels me to do it.

I'm curious what happens if you force event flags all the way through the second time... if the chest refills, or if it's empty or what. Curious and all that.

legacyzero

Banned
I often wonder how much devs randomly put undisclosed secret shit in games like this, only for it to be discovered generations later.

This is fascinating.
You can skip VIII.

CEASE YOUR BLASPHEMY.

Maybe after 13 years from now some people will discover a hidden sidequest in FFXIII

lol

ikKpXmvebq8ys.gif

Javier

It's called Chris Houlihan&#8217;s secret room in Zelda LTTP. It took many years for someone to find it.
The Chris Houlihan room has been known since... over a decade. It's definitely not something that was discovered "recently".

Heck, I remember reading about the Chris Houlihan room in a Nintendo magazine before the N64 came out.

Bulzeeb

He's not completely wrong. See the completely ridiculous Zodiac Spear (?) requirements in FF12. There is no way anyone is getting that without use of a guide.

to be honest I wouldn't mind that kind of things if there was some kind of new game + at least for the level, grinding your way agian for like 60+ levels is really a bother (and that is why I love the chrono games or the recent tales of games, lots of endings and secret stuff but the new game + lets me visit the game again without minding the grind)

Neophoton

Neo Member
"Turns out there's a hidden side quest that nobody knows about. Check out PlayOnline for more details!"

That guide was kind of shitty.

I'm amazed to see something like this stay hidden for so many years, but I'd imagine that's how they get people to guide the guides.

Haha, that's pretty awesome...it's not a super complicated and it's kind of tedious to do since it requires you to backtrack a lot so I'm not shocked it went hidden for so long but that's an awesome find.

Darn, I feel like listening to my FFIX soundtrack again...

Dunan

I hate to be "that guy", but this has always been known -- at least since the Ultimania came out around 2002 or so. At the time, reading about it, I remember being a little upset that they would make something so ridiculously obscure and figured that it was another part of the PlayOnline scam.

You mean no Western media have ever mentioned it?

Top Bottom