• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This airplane is ENORMOUS

Antonov An-225 Mriya
Wingspan: 290′ 0″
Length: 276′
Weight: 628,300 lbs
Top speed: 528 mph
Unit cost: 200,000,000–250,000,000 USD (2013)
Did you know: There is only one operational AN-225 in the world.chapman-freeborn.com

sUuDjHF.jpg

TAKEOFF:

LANDING:

Can you imagine seeing this thing in the sky in person? Or piloting it? It's like a real life mothra. 😱 😱 😱

Post all the airplanes.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm no scientist, but I'm always amazed how huge heavy things can soar through the air like swiss cheese.

Those damn turbines working OT.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
My old office used to overlook schiphol runway in NL and I unexpectedly saw that thing takeoff. Absolutely nuts aircraft

Mohonky

Technically the Hughes H4 doesn't necessarily fly like most would consider a plane, it basically rides on ground effect a few meters of the ground.

Mohonky

University data modeling has been done showing it could indeed fly and fuffill the role Howard Hughes claimed it could do (be a tank/heavy equipment transport) though it sounds like it would have been an absolutle brute to fly. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-26025939

Hrmmmmm…..they are saying given it's weight, shape and thrust yeh it would have flown, but I don't see anywhere whether the actual loading on the structures of the plane would have handled it, that not keeping the wings 'level would send it into spiral which would rip them off' doesn't sound very convincing considering you kind of need to be able to bank to turn...….

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
The Messerschmitt Me 323 Giant is also cute:

1342161577344111684.jpg

And elaborating on Big things Nazi's thought of: We know the Maus, right? Well, the nazi's were thinking of even bigger tanks, called Landkreuzers (Or Landcruisers), and so they thought of P1000 Ratte and P1500 Monster. The Ratte would be 1000 ton and Monster 1500. By comparison, the Maus already weighed in at 128 tons and a Jagdtiger was 70 tons, which is already upper boundary for most modern tanks. Here is a crude size comparison:
pixel_panzer_by_tiefsee-d48xf43.png

AYW6RS0.jpg

And that's just the Ratte. The Monster was even larger, and would fire 800 mm shells. Size comparison:
Schwerer_Gustav_shell_by_Daniel_Perez_Sutil.jpg
This shell was actually used on the Schwerer Gustav railroad gun, which actually did exist. To put that in scale together with a OTR-21 Tochka SRBM launcher:
1280px-DoraVSScarab.svg.png

And in real world:

Hitler-gustav-railway-gun.jpg

That thing is straight up Japanese sci-fi sizes of WTF.

The Messerschmitt Me 323 Giant is also cute:

1342161577344111684.jpg

And elaborating on Big things Nazi's thought of: We know the Maus, right? Well, the nazi's were thinking of even bigger tanks, called Landkreuzers (Or Landcruisers), and so they thought of P1000 Ratte and P1500 Monster. The Ratte would be 1000 ton and Monster 1500. By comparison, the Maus already weighed in at 128 tons and a Jagdtiger was 70 tons, which is already upper boundary for most modern tanks. Here is a crude size comparison:
pixel_panzer_by_tiefsee-d48xf43.png

AYW6RS0.jpg

And that's just the Ratte. The Monster was even larger, and would fire 800 mm shells. Size comparison:
Schwerer_Gustav_shell_by_Daniel_Perez_Sutil.jpg
This shell was actually used on the Schwerer Gustav railroad gun, which actually did exist. To put that in scale together with a OTR-21 Tochka SRBM launcher:
1280px-DoraVSScarab.svg.png

And in real world:

Hitler-gustav-railway-gun.jpg

That thing is straight up Japanese sci-fi sizes of WTF.

Ah, the wonderful world of Kraut Space Magic.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Shame plane's are getting smaller in size.

747 should never be fazed out.
Well the 777 300 is larger/comparable depending on seating config so that is the new ‘large one’ for Boeing. 747 had its day, it’s all about fuel efficiency and finance now.

Top Bottom