• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This email was generated because of a login attempt from a web or mobile device

Ecto311

Anyone else get this shit like weekly from steam? Does it ever work for the person trying to get in? I get an email with a code and the IP of the person who tried to get in. I just started the steam authenticator since I have been buying more real games on there worth something and not just humble bundle $5 sets.

I do change the password almost every time and it seems like a month later it keeps popping in my email that someone has screen name and password correct but is far enough away to trigger this message.

MultiCore

Anyone else get this shit like weekly from steam? Does it ever work for the person trying to get in? I get an email with a code and the IP of the person who tried to get in. I just started the steam authenticator since I have been buying more real games on there worth something and not just humble bundle $5 sets.

I do change the password almost every time and it seems like a month later it keeps popping in my email that someone has screen name and password correct but is far enough away to trigger this message.
You may have malware.

Ecto311

You may have malware.

I did all the scans I can and don't see anything coming up. Doing a full reinstall of windows soon too so I'll see if it stops.

Do you have a really common steam name?

Maybe someone is mistyping your logon

Drfunkenstien311 is my steam name so I doubt its that common who knows - but they are getting my name and password right according to the emails.

shira

Drfunkenstien311 is my steam name so I doubt its that common who knows - but they are getting my name and password right according to the emails.
Yikes, you've got somekind of keylogger if they are getting your password.

I get them multiple times a month and it’s fucking annoying. My Mac doesn’t have malware I’ve done lots of scans. It’s always someone in the middle of nowhere in the med-West U.S or Russia. Not sure what to do I’ve changed my password like 10 times. I just ignore it now

Zenaku

They don't have his password, they have his log in and keep failing.
If they didn't have his password then he wouldn't be getting authentication codes.

Op, avoid typing in your email password on your pc until you do the clean install. Avoid other logins on your pc too. Anywhere your password's saved already should be ok.

Rellik

They don't have his password, they have his log in and keep failing.

They have his password hence why he's getting the codes sent to his email.

OP is also playing a dangerous game by using email authentication if someone is getting your passwords. How long until someone walks into your email and takes the code? Use the randomly generated codes that the Steam app does for you. That's what it's there for.

Ecto311

They have his password hence why he's getting the codes sent to his email.

OP is also playing a dangerous game by using email authentication if someone is getting your passwords. How long until someone walks into your email and takes the code? Use the randomly generated codes that the Steam app does for you. That's what it's there for.

For the most part I don't care that much about it. I don't just want it stolen but I don't put a lot of thought into it since it is just games. The main thing is I wish I could set it that if it is outside of my area or a certain geo fence then it doesn't even let people try to log in. I do have authenticator on now through the app so I doubt it will be much of a problem. Who knows.

I get these weekly too. Never really payed any attention to them.

Also, my blizzard account was hacked a few years ago & I went on about 9 months ago to find someone leveled up and used my WOW account from back in the day. It's kind of hilarious to think that someone else played and paid for a subscription to use my account.

After I got my account back and changed the password, they can't access their characters anymore & I almost feel bad taking it back from them. Like, if someone was living in my house for a few years, updated and upgraded everything, painted it, put up a new garage, and added a new floor & I just come in and kick them out and keep it.

prag16

Banned
Everybody should be using the mobile guard bullshit at this point if possible. Just need an iOS or Android device.

Top Bottom