• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This episode of Angry Video Game Nerd had me in stitches last night

This is by far and away the best episode, I was in literal tears the first time. To this day, especially when I'm playing a game and I tend to be losing, I will scream "I'll show you a funny trick!!"
That and the Crazy Castle continuation are some of my favorites from him. The Mattel Electronics one is also a classic.

He was amazing up to Episode 100 (104 was the last big peak), after that it went down hill, straight. He wasn't the same anymore.

Sure, some Episodes are still surprisingly good, but overall, he just lost it completely after he did his big 100 and the amazing 104. Maybe he was burned out i don't know.

James Rolfe is a national treasure. Probably one of the most driven content creators out there. Off topic but it was a fucking shame to see how he was treated by the media over his stance on the Ghostbusters remake (which was why support a shitty movie? A good portion of Transformers tickets are sold to people who want to "make fun" of those movies and it's partially contributing to why they're so damn successful. Why do the same with Ghostbusters despite those awful trailers?)

Oh, please. That was one of the most pointless videos I have ever seen.

I'm completely willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that his issues didn't involve gender, but the whole thing was so milquetoast and pointless. Middle of a controversy about a movie where you've got a loud subset of dipshits loudly bitching about lady Ghostbusters, and he feels the need to put out a video announcing that he's not going to see the movie. Who does that? Like, please keep us updated on all the things you AREN'T doing, James.

Really tone deaf, IMO. It's like somebody coming out and saying, 'I'm not a Nazi. I don't support those ideas. But, eh, I'm not planning to join in any counter-protests.' Okay. Then shut up.

This is perhaps actually one of my least favorite AVGN episodes. I enjoy the ones where he's more "Video Game Nerd", and less "Angry".

The most recent one comes in mind, and I really enjoyed it.
Yeah I have to agree that this episode is one of my least favorite, let alone my least favorite Christmas episode of the AVGN.

You all should watch his "12 days of Shitsmas" from December 2014. The pacing, the short bursts of 12 consecutive reviews, the music, the (dare I say) endearing finale. It was all perfect.

I'm completely willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that his issues didn't involve gender, but the whole thing was so milquetoast and pointless. Middle of a controversy about a movie where you've got a loud subset of dipshits loudly bitching about lady Ghostbusters, and he feels the need to put out a video announcing that he's not going to see the movie. Who does that? Like, please keep us updated on all the things you AREN'T doing, James.

Really tone deaf, IMO. It's like somebody coming out and saying, 'I'm not a Nazi. I don't support those ideas. But, eh, I'm not planning to join in any counter-protests.' Okay. Then shut up.
Yeah all of that was really unfortunate and AFAIK his lowest point in his long YouTube career.

I wouldn't go as far as say "shut up! Only tell us what you ARE working on!" But it was the timing that made it worse. Had he at least waited for the movie to come out and see the reviews it would've been better but no! He did that video long before the movie had been watched by anyone and went by just one or two trailers and though "gee, I need to tell the Internet I am not watching this!" whilst ignoring that there was this awful culture war over this fucking movie and decided to pour fuel into the fire.

For the longest time I kept fearing Rolfe, my first YouTube I ever subscribed to back in 2006, might go Milkshake Duck on me during the worst of Gamergate days. After all he invited JonTron once (but in all fairness is also friends woth Doug Walker who is definitely not an alt-righter).

Enough time has passed and thankfully, other than that embarrassing lady Ghostbusters episode, it doesn't seem to be the case. He goes by himself in a very prudent manner be stays away from controversies. And I'm fine with that.

This is perhaps actually one of my least favorite AVGN episodes. I enjoy the ones where he's more "Video Game Nerd", and less "Angry".

The most recent one comes in mind, and I really enjoyed it.

I agree with this. Over time his "faux anger" just seems more and more fake.

Exotoro

i hated that episode so much and i never really feel that way to even the most mediocre episode of angry video game nerd

ScOULaris

I can't believe all the hate for this episode in this thread.

Maybe I was just in the right mood for this type of humor when I watched it, but damn if I didn't find it to be hilarious.

"Now you;re in the game."

"Yeah, I've always wanted to feel the PUNCHES!"

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
James still puts out good content regardless of not being as bombastic as he used to be. Its gotta be very hard to balance that with a personal life

ZangBa

The quality or lack of it from the games and hardware are what bring out the best in him and his humor. I don't think he ever fell off like a lot of others do, but at this point there aren't really any games left he can make quality episodes out of. He's working with scraps basically. Outside of AVGN, there's still some pretty good content there like Board James. I respect the amount of effort and care he puts into his videos, it really sets him apart from others.

Not to mention he was smart enough to diversify early on, creating many different types of content with his friends/partners while still remaining true his roots. Can't really say about everyone.

SpiceRacz

James' earlier videos will always be some of my favorite content from the internet. Ever.

"Live like a windrammer as you fuck."

eXistor

I actually think that's one of his weakest episodes. Most of his stuff this year has been great though, definitely a return to form.

rpmurphy

Can't say I agree. In fact, to me this was one of his worst episodes. Couldn't stand the guest nor the physical comedy, and I didn't find jokes funny either.

Same here. I never rewatch the ones where Mike acts as game characters; meanwhile I have seen Action 52/Cheetahmen, Swordquest, Dick Tracy, Star Wars, Silver Surfer and Bible games (among others) countless times. Guess I'm not a fan of his slapstick humor.
This one was a bit more tolerable for me, whereas some of Matei's guest roles are just too forced on being extremely crass (Cowardly Lion, Spiderman, Bugs Bunny come to mind mostly). Also, fuck Shitpickle.

But their horror episodes with Jason, Freddy, Leatherface, etc. and the one with the game gremlin are great.

eXistor

Everybody that watched AVGN knows his Ghostbusters reviews, it's one of those classic episodes everybody knows and I think it's very well known he's a big Ghostbusters fan so of course everyone wants to know his views on the new film and have no doubt been borderline harassing him on his opinions.

This was just a very simple way to come out and make to everyone "the movie looks terrible and I'm not seeing it, so stop asking me about it."

He was completely right too: the movie was a wet turd and not worth a watch to even the most die-hard Ghostbusters fan.

This one was a bit more tolerable for me, whereas some of Matei's guest roles are just too forced on being extremely crass (Cowardly Lion, Spiderman, Bugs Bunny come to mind mostly). Also, fuck Shitpickle.

But their horror episodes with Jason, Freddy, Leatherface, etc. and the one with the game gremlin are great.

Spiderman was great but that might be because it was Kyle and not Mike

Top Bottom