• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This feels like the Cheapest nextgen transition ever.

*Face palm"

So if consoles set the precedence for PC, then why have PCs have SSDs for over 10 years, or why is 16gb of ram the standard for pc's for several years? I thought consoles dictate pc specs? That kinda shit are you smoking dude?!
Its not just an ssd they have proprietary ssds used as vram buffers at even 5.5gb/s on ps5 thats faster than any ssd on the market, they are more like ssgs, solid state graphics n dont kid yourself that just because u have something called ssd on ur pc then its the same as the ssds on this consoles its miles apart bro and itll take an arm and a leg to even afford those ssds when they come out for ur pc

Kacho

Gold Member
It’s definitely a boring transition. It’s why I’m barely participating in next gen discussion.

Didn’t a platinum dev talk about how bland the new consoles were a while back? Said that consoles don’t really have cool and unique features like they used to. Better hardware and that’s about it.

I think most people will be totally fine with the quality of next gen games, maybe your personal expectations are set to high.
most people are fine and dandy with games right now all they want is 4k gaming at 60fps and thats not all that i reqyire from a next gen console its not just more resolution, more fps its the quality of assets per frame its the effects more triangles more volumetrics more physics, not the same old same old but just with high res

Lukin1978

There wasome vitching but dont get me wrong nobody expected 8gb vram everybody expected 4gb maximum and nobody believed it that the ps4 was 8gb 1.8tf and when they showed killzone nobody believed it at all, when they showed uncharted 4 and the order everybody died.
That's exactly why I don't complain about specs the games will blow our minds everyone just needs to wait.

Its not just an ssd they have proprietary ssds used as vram buffers at even 5.5gb/s on ps5 thats faster than any ssd on the market, they are more like ssgs, solid state graphics n dont kid yourself that just because u have something called ssd on ur pc then its the same as the ssds on this consoles its miles apart bro and itll take an arm and a leg to even afford those ssds when they come out for ur pc
Before I disapprove you for the 4th or 5th time today, are you saying that ps5 ssd is the fastest ssd in existence? What if I told you there is 7gbps, from 2019? Would you still feel like you are correct in this matter? Hate to say it, but several things are already beaten, before they even release, because of the evolution of pc hardware. But as a graphic designer, you would know this, right?

Before I disapprove you for the 4th or 5th time today, are you saying that ps5 ssd is the fastest ssd in existence? What if I told you there is 7gbps, from 2019? Would you still feel like you are correct in this matter? Hate to say it, but several things are already beaten, before they even release, because of the evolution of pc hardware. But as a graphic designer, you would know this, right?
Ps5 is 5.5gb raw and 9-10gb compressed plus it has other features to cut off latency your 7gb/s ssd translates to 3.5gb/s in actuall performance

All of these letdown expectations seem a bit premature. With 6+ months before the new consoles are released there is plenty of time for both Sony and Microsoft to ramp up the PR. I suspect from June onward we will see a lot of hyping up of next gen.

OP has some weird obsession with RAM thinking he can directly extrapolate how powerful a console is based on its RAM alone. It’s truly bizarre he keeps making these rambling threads and I’m still not convinced it’s not an elaborate troll, but here we are
Cause ram is all that ever mattered most in graphics you can have 100tf but with 8gb a 6tf machine with 10gb of fast ram would display more data on screen than you can ever dream of

Ps5 is 5.5gb raw and 9-10gb compressed plus it has other features to cut off latency your 7gb/s ssd translates to 3.5gb/s in actuall performance
Is it? You sure it's not 7 uncompressed, 14 compressed? Or do you even know what ssd I'm talking about? Or, you're just pulling numbers out your rear again.... I'm just gonna drop it now lol. Your a funny guy. Not the brightest, by far, but a funny guy. I'll give you that.

Is it? You sure it's not 7 uncompressed, 14 compressed? Or do you even know what ssd I'm talking about? Or, you're just pulling numbers out your rear again.... I'm just gonna drop it now lol. Your a funny guy. Not the brightest, by far, but a funny guy. I'll give you that.
Bring that ssd up its not just about raw and compressed there is so much latency in pc ssds like i said these ssds on consoles are ssgs solid state graphics they are engineered to speak directly to the cpu and gpu this is why they use them as vram buffers they arent your typical ssd

I think you highly underestimate the difference between current gen and what a console more powerful than a 2080 can do when paired with memory technology that is even better than what's currently widely available.

I think the mid-gen refreshes has clouded some people’s perspective and even with the mid-gen consoles in mind the new consoles seem mighty impressive. Compared to the original ps4&xb1, it is like night and day. We get a new generation of CPUs, 8-10 times the gpu power of the ps4(stronger console last gen) at least on the XSX (which is around 16-18 TF GCN) and something close to that on the ps5, we get SSDs compared to the slow HDDs. The only aspect where we don’t get a huge increase is the ram but still this is GDDR6 and way faster than what was in the ps4 (the last gen console with the decent ram set up, the XB1 is not even worth mentioning in the ram department).

A.Romero

This thread is full of misinformation.

Whatever amount of RAM any device has, is nothing without the CPU that will actually process the information. Meaning, it doesn't matter if you have an unlimited amount of memory if your CPU is not processing it fast enough. Let's use an example:

Imagine we are playing a platforming game. To keep it simple let's reduce the elements of the game to: environment, character and music. When you first load the game, a certain amount of data is going to come from the storage device (optical, magnetic or solid), will be processed by the CPU, and sent to RAM. CPU means Central Processing Unit and it's not a coincidence, everything that happens in the device has to go through the CPU in one way or another. In this case, the CPU will be in charge of moving information back and forth from memory. So if you have a lot of memory and a slow CPU, your RAM is going to be bottlenecked and it doesn't matter how fast it can go because the CPU won't keep up. That's why frequency and timings in RAM matter.

Meaning that instructions that are in memory are just waiting to be fetched, decoded (or processed) and sent back to memory in order to be used by another part of the computer, like the GPU. Memory doesn't work by itself, it just temporarily stores data for the CPU to process. You need a really powerful CPU to actually make use of really fast RAM, otherwise it's just wasted.

Furthermore, the GPU will come into play when the information needs to be "painted" in the screen. Once again, this is an operation where the CPU is involved. When the player inputs something through the controller or any other device, the interface controller talks to the CPU which in turn submits the signals to all the relevant devices through memory. Was your input a jump? Well, now that input has to be fetched, processed, sent to RAM so the GPU can paint the animation of your character jumping and the sound interface can make the "jump" sound. Currently there is no way to go around this. Your CPU can bottleneck your really fast RAM and your really fast GPU because it can process it's data fast enough.

This diagram should better ilustrate the point better:

oeIqa1F.png

So as you can see the CPU is in the middle of everything and if it's not fast enough then it doesn't matter how huge is the buffer that you have on any side. Everything is related so what you want to do is avoid spending too much on any component that could be bottlenecked by another component because it's just a waste that makes the device more expensive and it turns out most gamers are price sensitive folk. The ones that aren't, play on PC (4X Titans and BS like that).

It sounds to me that you are a graphical designer and granted, a higher amount of RAM allows you to work with bigger images better but if you want to actually modify that image with say a filter that requires some processing, you won't be able to tell the difference between an i3 CPU with 16 gb of RAM and the same CPU but with 32 gb of RAM. It works the other way around too, though. It's a waste to have a really fast CPU with the minimum amount of RAM because then more reads and writes from static storage come into play.

Personally I think next gen consoles are not as gimped as PS4 and XBO where when they released (in comparision to what was available on the PC market back then). Depending on the price they could offer pretty good value.

But as always, PC is always an option although a bit more expensive which could tell anyone interested why consoles can't have the cutting edge. Instead they need to do their best to find the best balance between price and performance.

_Ex_

i dont mind paying 600-700$ aslong as i get myself a mext gen machine powerful enough to give me next gen experiences
You have to keep in mind the cost for publishers making graphically competitive games for such a machine though. Keeping the generation's graphical expectations within profitable range of production is the balancing act of profit. There simply comes a point where the cost of making advanced AAA graphics outweighs the gain. This is only offset by contemporary tools and libraries that expedite the process, but such aids focus on available equilibrium driven by technological homogeneity.

In order words, graphics get better as advanced technology becomes cheaper, and tools to produce those graphics become faster and easier to use. Thus trailing edge consoles can make game publishers money, but bleeding edge consoles likely won't.

I am pretty excited, more so than PS4, but I think it is because I skipped last gen entirely.
I cannot wait to play all the PS4 stuff I missed with better resolution and PS5 upgrades.

xPikYx

I agree, they went really cheap, I was expecting at least 14tf with 32GB of Ram, PS5 even did worst than the minimum, Microaoft just did the bare minimum, first we gotta say AMD is much behind nVidia in terms of GPU power, they came uo last year with this RDNA architecture which was just at Pascal card level nvidia hold 4 years ago. Sure cost is to take into account, if nvidia raised the cost of their card quite a lot for performance delivered, to keep the cost low console makers had to keep their expectations really low, and what they came up with is a technology we experienced more than 20 years ago with cartridges, absurd. I'm really disappointed from what they did, as a passionate, as a gamer, this time around we gonna forget the next gen leap for the sake of staying cheap

Bolivar687

Banned
I see you created your account in 2018, you really should have been here for this discussion last time around. People pieced together really quickly that Sony and Microsoft were basically making the PS4 and Xbox One out of laptop components with GPUs that couldn't compete with the high end graphics cards of the time. I had AMDs 2013 upper midrange card at the beginning of the gen and it utterly annihilated those consoles in everything.

10-14 teraflops is generally enough to compete with the top end video cards of today and the $1,300 GPU king only gets you 11GB of ram. You are absolutely out of your mind if you thought a $400 console was going to come with 24 or 32GB of ram.

I understand the desire for a true generational leap, but I can't get on board with saying this one feels cheaper than the last one.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
The whole marketing from both MS and Sony so far have felt really cheap and underwhelming. A bunch of twitter posts,some stupid Youtubers getting exclusive access to information and a boring GDC video conference.

It almost feels as if both MS and Sony are going to throw these consoles out there one day and hope for the best.
Yeah there isn't that salivating for next gen like last time. PS3 and 360 people were ready to move on from. Maybe it's all the VR and pro models but it feels like it could use another year or something

njean777

Yeah there isn't that salivating for next gen like last time. PS3 and 360 people were ready to move on from. Maybe it's all the VR and pro models but it feels like it could use another year or something

Considering there is a pandemic going on right not I don't think there is anything they can do right now other than what they are doing. We probably won't even be able to hold huge conventions or things like that for a year and a half or until a vaccine is hopefully found and made. I wouldn't mind delaying the new consoles a year and letting this virus stuff get situated with first. But I don't know if that will happen or not.

xPikYx

I see you created your account in 2018, you really should have been here for this discussion last time around. People pieced together really quickly that Sony and Microsoft were basically making the PS4 and Xbox One out of laptop components with GPUs that couldn't compete with the high end graphics cards of the time. I had AMDs 2013 upper midrange card at the beginning of the gen and it utterly annihilated those consoles in everything.

10-14 teraflops is generally enough to compete with the top end video cards of today and the $1,300 GPU king only gets you 11GB of ram. You are absolutely out of your mind if you thought a $400 console was going to come with 24 or 32GB of ram.

I understand the desire for a true generational leap, but I can't get on board with saying this one feels cheaper than the last one.
If you are talking to me, I was willing to pay up to 800£ if the leap was worth, no problem I'll keep staying on PC playing cheap-box- bottlenecked games

xPikYx

Considering there is a pandemic going on right not I don't think there is anything they can do right now other than what they are doing. We probably won't even be able to hold huge conventions or things like that for a year and a half or until a vaccine is hopefully found and made. I wouldn't mind delaying the new consoles a year and letting this virus stuff get situated with first. But I don't know if that will happen or not.
The pandemic may create a delay or shortage, but nothing has to do with the console project and them play cheap and comfort zone

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Would they be able to change power at all with a delay? I'm guessing it would just be to get costs down on the already made design.

njean777

The pandemic may create a delay or shortage, but nothing has to do with the console project and them play cheap and comfort zone

I think it does now more than ever, who is gonna want to go out and pay for 700-800$ console after all of this. Sure the two makers didn't know this was going to occur, but now is a time to be price sensitive if they want to sell these things. I mean who knows when anything will even begin to turn back to normal.

Would they be able to change power at all with a delay? I'm guessing it would just be to get costs down on the already made design.

Eh more than likely not, why would you want to make it more expensive when people are gonna be either not working or just getting back into the labor market? Probably would be best to keep what you have planned and hopefully release at a cheaper price.

You have to keep in mind the cost for publishers making graphically competitive games for such a machine though. Keeping the generation's graphical expectations within profitable range of production is the balancing act of profit. There simply comes a point where the cost of making advanced AAA graphics outweighs the gain. This is only offset by contemporary tools and libraries that expedite the process, but such aids focus on available equilibrium driven by technological homogeneity.

In order words, graphics get better as advanced technology becomes cheaper, and tools to produce those graphics become faster and easier to use. Thus trailing edge consoles can make game publishers money, but bleeding edge consoles likely won't.
Its actually the other way around, better hardware makes games cheaper, disney had to spend millions in render farms to create a frame of toy story today people can create toy story on their pcs, most budget in video games is spent on optimising everything to run on strict poor memory budgets on consoles its the reason games like the last of us or big triple a games take time its because they have a vision of making them cgi as possible but have to cut iterate optimise and delete certain features because the machines wont let them have the luxury to put them,

rage took years to make because They had to invent megatextures to have the game run on 512mb of ram with enough textures, crysis wasnt possible on console back then because it was designed to work with 2gb vram and they spent millions optimising it to work on 512mb. Memory is every graphics developers pain especially when your making realtime graphics. heres a simpler reason

go to 3:50

This thread is full of misinformation.

Whatever amount of RAM any device has, is nothing without the CPU that will actually process the information. Meaning, it doesn't matter if you have an unlimited amount of memory if your CPU is not processing it fast enough. Let's use an example:

Imagine we are playing a platforming game. To keep it simple let's reduce the elements of the game to: environment, character and music. When you first load the game, a certain amount of data is going to come from the storage device (optical, magnetic or solid), will be processed by the CPU, and sent to RAM. CPU means Central Processing Unit and it's not a coincidence, everything that happens in the device has to go through the CPU in one way or another. In this case, the CPU will be in charge of moving information back and forth from memory. So if you have a lot of memory and a slow CPU, your RAM is going to be bottlenecked and it doesn't matter how fast it can go because the CPU won't keep up. That's why frequency and timings in RAM matter.

Meaning that instructions that are in memory are just waiting to be fetched, decoded (or processed) and sent back to memory in order to be used by another part of the computer, like the GPU. Memory doesn't work by itself, it just temporarily stores data for the CPU to process. You need a really powerful CPU to actually make use of really fast RAM, otherwise it's just wasted.

Furthermore, the GPU will come into play when the information needs to be "painted" in the screen. Once again, this is an operation where the CPU is involved. When the player inputs something through the controller or any other device, the interface controller talks to the CPU which in turn submits the signals to all the relevant devices through memory. Was your input a jump? Well, now that input has to be fetched, processed, sent to RAM so the GPU can paint the animation of your character jumping and the sound interface can make the "jump" sound. Currently there is no way to go around this. Your CPU can bottleneck your really fast RAM and your really fast GPU because it can process it's data fast enough.

This diagram should better ilustrate the point better:

oeIqa1F.png

So as you can see the CPU is in the middle of everything and if it's not fast enough then it doesn't matter how huge is the buffer that you have on any side. Everything is related so what you want to do is avoid spending too much on any component that could be bottlenecked by another component because it's just a waste that makes the device more expensive and it turns out most gamers are price sensitive folk. The ones that aren't, play on PC (4X Titans and BS like that).

It sounds to me that you are a graphical designer and granted, a higher amount of RAM allows you to work with bigger images better but if you want to actually modify that image with say a filter that requires some processing, you won't be able to tell the difference between an i3 CPU with 16 gb of RAM and the same CPU but with 32 gb of RAM. It works the other way around too, though. It's a waste to have a really fast CPU with the minimum amount of RAM because then more reads and writes from static storage come into play.

Personally I think next gen consoles are not as gimped as PS4 and XBO where when they released (in comparision to what was available on the PC market back then). Depending on the price they could offer pretty good value.

But as always, PC is always an option although a bit more expensive which could tell anyone interested why consoles can't have the cutting edge. Instead they need to do their best to find the best balance between price and performance.
I didnt say you dont need a cpu so stop creating fantasies like ur talking to urself, i said what matters most is ram literally since computer graphics existed, your entire experience on screen is whats in memory, companies spend millions of budget to iterate and optimise visuals to deal with memory budgets, a fast cpu cant do shit with poor low memory your gonna make a cpu do fractions instead of calculus with low memory, cpus are already fast enough its the memory thats low. Literally sony and ms all had to invent special ssds and all this technologies to work with their strict memory budgets efficiently, most innovations in realtime graphics are always to deal with memory budgets, virtual texturing, instancing, asset occlusion, adaptive tesselation, lods, the new vrs, mesh shading, you name it even loading times are there because of memory. The xbox one had a faster cpu than the ps4 but completely brutaly got beaten because of its shit weird and slow memory.

Go to 3:50 ive said enough

A.Romero

I didnt say you dont need a cpu so stop creating fantasies like ur talking to urself, i said what matters most is ram literally since computer graphics existed, your entire experience on screen is whats in memory, companies spend millions of budget to iterate and optimise visuals to deal with memory budgets, a fast cpu cant do shit with poor low memory your gonna make a cpu do fractions instead of calculus with low memory, cpus are already fast enough its the memory thats low. Literally sony and ms all had to invent special ssds and all this technologies to work with their strict memory budgets efficiently, most innovations in realtime graphics are always to deal with memory budgets, virtual texturing, instancing, asset occlusion, adaptive tesselation, lods, the new vrs, mesh shading, you name it even loading times are there because of memory. The xbox one had a faster cpu than the ps4 but completely brutaly got beaten because of its shit weird and slow memory.

Go to 3:50 ive said enough

I know what they store in memory I'm just saying that more memory wouldn't give consoles the edge.

In the video they are talking about Ps3 during the times Cell was supposed to be a CPU ahead of it's time. It's not the same this time. These CPU are far from the fastest computing has to offer today.

Consoles have a different engineering approach.

Codes 208

I feel like midgens are partly responsible for this. The SX gpu is only twice as fast as the X, it only has 4gb of RAM more (though admittedly faster as its gddr6 as opposed to gddr5) and we’re still stuck with a paultry 1tb of memory in an age where games can be up to 160gb

meanwhile the ps4 is in the same boat, roughly twice as strong as the pro, double the ram and actually has less memory albeit significantly faster.

but when compared to the og’s, theyre leaps and bounds faster. Like how the ps4/xbo were leaps and bounds faster/stronger than ps3/360

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Sony approach is this - a good sized bump in performance and a very reasonable price. Then let the system sell itself based off its library of games. They know hardware does not make a game good, the game is what makes the game good.

Microsoft's approach is this- shove in a ton of hardware and chest bump everyone with how powerful their system is and their fanbase with buy it so they can get boners over how powerful the system is. And they won't worry about being more expensive because they know their fans think "big hardware means good games".

So each is playing to their fanbase. Not surprising at all.

Mendou

Banned
You cant build a 1000$ pc thatll last you the whole next gen 1000$ isnt even enough for a gpu to rival the series x
That's true. I have a GTX 780 that I bought around the time that the PS4 released and nowadays games run worse on the card than the PS4. The 3gb of vram on that card certainly didn't help either.

I know what they store in memory I'm just saying that more memory wouldn't give consoles the edge.

In the video they are talking about Ps3 during the times Cell was supposed to be a CPU ahead of it's time. It's not the same this time. These CPU are far from the fastest computing has to offer today.

Consoles have a different engineering approach.
In the video they are complaining of the 512mb of vram available at the time and having to optimise a 2gb frame to run on 512mb this was 7 years ago and its still the problem today, developers want more things on screen but cant because of tight memory budgets.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Consoles have to find a balancing point between hardware power and price. The average consumer wants to pay $400, maybe $500 max for their console and both Sony and Microsoft have to do everything in their power to make the best hardware they can to fit that price point.

If you wanna go nuts with graphical fidelity, put aside $3k and build a PC.

Kenpachii

Sony approach is this - a good sized bump in performance and a very reasonable price. Then let the system sell itself based off its library of games. They know hardware does not make a game good, the game is what makes the game good.

Microsoft's approach is this- shove in a ton of hardware and chest bump everyone with how powerful their system is and their fanbase with buy it so they can get boners over how powerful the system is. And they won't worry about being more expensive because they know their fans think "big hardware means good games".

So each is playing to their fanbase. Not surprising at all.

Sony's themselves before microsoft box was known what it had.

In a recent company strategy briefing, Sony chief executive Kenichiro Yoshida described the PlayStation 5 (or whatever it is eventually called) as a niche product aimed at hardcore players.

The emphasis for the machine is on 8K resolution, ultra high-definition graphics, as the platform holder believes visual quality to be a key factor in players' purchasing decisions.

The company is said to be concentrating on strengthening relationships with large publishers, as well as working on AAA exclusives from its internal studios.

Sony very much focuses on the hardware core 3rd party crowd, that's why they slammed that GPU to max clocks in order to outdo microsoft and they probably assumed they would go for the same GPU but ended up getting outplayed on that front.

Also wii-u and PS3 like to have a talk with you if you think exclusives and brand name matters to people. Most people probably buy those boxes for 3rd party titles and buy whatever performs best just for that. the xbox series X if sony isn't going to revamp the GPU in that box is going to heavily outperform the PS5 its entire gen. Sony could very well have lost the hardcore crowd on there platform by misjudging microsoft.

Will they, are exclusives really that important after all? who knows, nintendo exclusive sure as hell weren't important to anybody in the console space and even sony's massive populaire console PS2 didn't brought people over to the PS3 and yes they had tons of exclusives on there platform that xbox didn't had that where massive hype.

Time will tell, but so far sony is worse positioned this generation to succeed then microsoft unless microsoft fucks the price up entirely.

Ellery

I am sorry to hear that you are having troubles and being disappointed by what you perceive you are getting with the set of next generation consoles.

Thankfully for me I think the next generation consoles are so much better than I have ever expected them to be and I have a hard time picking up my drooling jaw which hit the floor brought by RDNA2 tech and there is zero doubt inside me that I will fcking enjoy next gen games and not waste a damn second being disappointed at hardware, because damn the hardware is actually amazing. This is so much better than the Xbox One hardware and even the superior PS4 hardware in 2013. So much better

Last edited:
You haven't seen the games and just scoffing at the specs? Pretty sure these modest specs will knock your socks off in first 3-4 yrs.

Yeah but that's gonna be held back by the fact that games will still have to be playable on the base model.

I don't understand this argument. Are pc games only optimised to work on latest gen Titan level graphic card?

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
The GPU's used in these consoles are cutting edge, the architecture isn't even available for PC yet.
Stick to PC, you expected too much from consoles that will cost less than your next Graphics card.

The GPU's used in these consoles are cutting edge, the architecture isn't even available for PC yet.
Stick to PC, you expected too much from consoles that will cost less than your next Graphics card.
So what happens when a gpu that is about 2 years old, performs better than next gen consoles (which aren't even out yet), with higher refresh rates, higher resolution textures, better raytracing, etc. Does a difference in architecture matter in that case, if the end result isn't better?

Consoles will definitely be powerful, but some people are eating up all the PR, and believing some crazy claims.

Last edited:
Top Bottom