• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is easily the worst leadership playstation had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
from being asinine about crossplay, censorship, and now losing exclusives to PC. having nintendo and microsoft potentially play buddies as we have seen in some games now is just not a good look for the brand no matter which side your on or how you look at it.

I don't know what they are thinking. but I think they believe that they won this gen because of their cinematic games or something. and not the fact that microsoft had a big blunder. many big blunders at the start of the generation

Sony lost a lot of 2nd party and potential 3rd party games when microsoft acquired 5 studios. to Sony's 0 so far. infact sony has closed 5 studios since 2012.

you have divisions like Sony music that made less money than playstation for for ever. make a 2.3 Billion dollar acquirement. but Sony playstation division is too afraid to make a few tens of million dollar investments into strengthening the platform. again. idc how you look at it. when your doing well you look for growth. Sony playstation division is probably scared to fund a damn game that they dont already have seen do well. they literally asked people to crowdfund shenmue 3 a few years back which imo was pathetic. you really couldn't throw in that few million dollars in?.

"only on playstation". crash bandicoot now multiplat. same with spyro. some of their actually owned IPs are now on PC and potentially other platforms. its looking weak brand wise imo.

they started "Sort of" the whole streaming on console movement with ps now in 2013. now they got google and microsoft to chip in with their services. and its obvious that Sony can't compete with 1tn dollar tech companies that have world wide networking infrastructure that Sony does not have access to. lets be real. PS now performance wise will most definitely be worse than google or microsoft. Sony does not own world wide data centers like them. not even close.

Seems like either Sony as a corporation is taking Sony playstation's entire money that they are making. and putting it into the money losing phone division. and the growth of other divisions. or the leadership of the playstation division is just that inept really. I think Shawn layden is just an inept weak leader imo. we heard him talk. hes never held a big position. and hes playing it safe. hes not taking any risks because he doesn't know what to do if he fails. thats what my assessment is. you had andrew house literally make a partnership with Kojima right before he left when he left a big power position. and the inept shawn layden can't even keep his words up "we will communicate more with you" thats what he said last year. we literally haven't heard him say anything for a year. they canceled two events after that. was it a meme?.

you have atlus, a company that just made you one of the best japanese games exclusive on your console. be acquired by a fellow japanese company. sega. Sega has a market cap of like 2 billion dollars. Sony market cap is 50 billion dollars. how does Sega manage to acquire atlus but not you? I do not understand??.

I might be alone here but thats my opinion. obviously some of you don't really care about the longevity of the traditional console culture or the playstation brand. which is fair.

they did not play to their strengths and focus on even increasing their games even more. and Shawn layden comes out with a comment on Cnet "we want to make less, bigger games". sorry there buddy but nobody wants a game to take more than the 5 years god of war took. there is just nothing exciting going on for this brand for such a long time now

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
giphy.gif

I don't see how anyone can disagree with what am saying. we had jack tretton and andrew house bringing PS3 back from the grave with so many cool consistently good announcements from 2010-2013. and they launch PS4 successfully yay and then Sony starts to close studios under the new garbage leadership. regress in every way. and compete in fields they have no business competing in (cloud gaming and ip tv streaming). and now we're here.

you remember these kevin butler ads? they were so funny. and one time he came on stage. and jack was such a good speaker

and we have sean layden. comes out. talks about idealistic nonsense that has nothing to do with anything. he could be in a ted talk about philosophy for all I can tell. and then leaves

I have supported this company's consoles since ps1. ps2 and ps3. and ps4 initially. but I'd say by the end of 2016 it started to change under layden and kodera. started to look doomy and gloomy. and generic to me. they looked like they just want to coast with the same announcements for years. upon years. and here we are. we saw days gone in what. 4 years of events? 3 for the other games?. really fun. really interesting to look forward for your events. no thanks. I don't want to listen to the sack of shit that is shawn layden .hes not a good speaker. hes not fun to listen to. and he says nothing interesting. and none of what he says has to do with anything

Sony made more moves in the playstation division when they were almost bankrupt than they are doing now. when they brought over 10bn in revenue last quarter

they stopped creating many games to many niche fans. they stop making arcade racers. shooters. platformers. many other games. JRPGs. and they start making uncharted clones. god of war might have as well had a Naughty dog emblem on it. they are turning into ubisoft. where every one of their games have the same basic ingredients. its not interesting

I like how we can count the number of great exclusives this generation on like two hands. but hey. the fanboys will still say its the best ever because its more than microsoft right? thats such a good way to make arguments.

what happened to the focus on games? they are creating a new studio to milk uncharted even more. how many more uncharted games do we need?. we have uncharted with zombies. uncharted with dad and daughter and zombies. uncharted with axeman and son. and soon to be uncharted with sword man in japan.

even shuhei yoshida himself said that their games look the same nowdays I can't remember when or where he said it. but I heard him say that in an interview a year or two ago.

I used to follow the brand a lot even when I didn't buy the games. well I followed most brands tbh when it comes to gaming. but playstation the most. I can tell you right now am no longer interested in tuning to E3 or whatever event year after year to see the same games be rolled through for 3-4 years straight. am done with that.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us...LUSIVESCAT/2?direction=desc&sort=release_date

thats right there is this generations exclusive line up. and half of these came to other platforms or are crap downloadables. thats how good console gaming is nowdays thats how pathetic it is. but oh well. thats just what happens when PS+ brings in the revenue. who needs games? ask microsoft in 2011. they did the same thing

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
Another Sony = Doomed thread. Time to put SlashBringingHasher on ignore.

Remember that SlashBringingHasher is the person that bitched that he is going to quit playing games because there isn't enough gaming news.

Ivellios

I stopped reading at the uncharted comparisons.

If you dont like Sony exclusives, buy another system, simple as that.

I agree that the censorship might be getting out of hand though.

Last edited:
Ohh boi, one of the "hardcore" ones has spoken...I expect to see more of this caliber dudes to loose their shit when more exclusives get ported. Tie up your boats and hold tight fellaz, gon' get ugly up in here 😅🤣🤣

ethomaz

Banned
Troll thread? It is the second time the same user do a Sony evil anti-consumer identical thread.

And you know consumers disagree with you.

They have made it very easy to transition completely to pc gaming.
Yeap... let’s play... oh wait I can’t play these games on PC... dammit.

Evil Sony stole even my choice to transition to PC :(

Last edited:
see the wall of text someone complaining about things he doesn 't understand form the business and shareholders point of view,leaves the thread

Ar¢tos

Congratulations OP! You earned a place in my ignore list.
Someone will contact you soon with information on how to claim the prize.

Raph64

When I read the thread title, I thought “ a SlashBringingHaser thread “ ?

Yup, that’s a SlashBringingHasher thread :pie_eyeroll:

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Neolombax

Ehh, I still have games to play on my PS4. Not concerned one bit. Even if it turns out Sony is on a decline, I'd just jump to the next best platform and game there. I have no interest their leadership capabilities in general.

Graciaus

Troll thread? It is the second time the same user do a Sony evil anti-consumer identical thread.

And you know consumers disagree with you.

Yeap... let’s play... oh wait I can’t play these games on PC... dammit.

Evil Sony stole even my choice to transition to PC :(
Other then bloodborne which I already played there isn't one exclusive I have enjoyed or care to play. I do own a ps4 and xbox1. I won't be buying either sequel.

Depending on how patient you are those exclusives can be played on pc also.

vkbest

Between backlog, older games I haven't bought yet, current new games, and probably 2-3 years more releasing on PS4, I don't need buy PS5, PC or other console for years.

LostDonkey

Traditional consoles are stupid anyway. Nothing wrong with opening up and allowing gamers to play their favourite games on whatever device they have.

Its the future of gaming. Embrace it and let your inner 10 year old fan boy go.

Traditional consoles are stupid anyway. Nothing wrong with opening up and allowing gamers to play their favourite games on whatever device they have.

Its the future of gaming. Embrace it and let your inner 10 year old fan boy go.
Yeah, just like Netflix and Amazon are releasing all of their original movies on other streaming platforms, and Disney just paid $70 billion for Fox so that they can share that content with every streaming service.

The future is actually balkanization, for better or for worse. Videogames had this figured out way ahead of other media - the only reason Netflix is even a thing is because other media companies had no idea what their content was worth, let Netflix use it for dirt cheap, and now those same companies are trying to fight the behemoth they created themselves.

llien

Sony lost a lot of 2nd party and potential 3rd party games when microsoft acquired 5 studios. to Sony's 0 so far. infact sony has closed 5 studios since 2012.

While I'm annoyed with talibanesque mindset in Sony headquarters and am angry about US Sony branch censoring games not even heading to US, bannig crossplay when you are the dominant player makes sense from company's perspective,
Microsoft has quite some catching up to do.

This gen has highlighted the issue with Microsoft: it needs Sony to f*ck up, to have any chance
This time:
1) PS4 wasn't pricey
2) PS4 wasn't a hard to program for weirdo like PS3

What else did we have? Microsoft's "online game sharing" fuckup was quickly reversed. Kinect was dropped.
Ok, Xbox was a tad slower, but hey, it was cheaper too, and at the moment the fastest console ever made is Microsoft's.

It is till lags far behind, because it severely lacks on exclusives.

The leadership wipes the floor with competitor and posts major profits, so, welp.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
But its not really a "war", because as Bill Hicks once pointed out. a war is when two or more armies fight each other.

This stuff is only going one way.

MDSLKTR

Op if you're that miserable, take a chill pill, buy an xbox/stadia and stop raging. You know you will be ridiculed once the PS5 is revealed and you do a hot take, right?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
But its not really a "war", because as Bill Hicks once pointed out. a war is when two or more armies fight each other.

This stuff is only going one way.
" I wouldn’t call it a war exactly. That suggests both sides stand an equal chance of winning."

Winter John

Gold Member
I'm pretty certain that Sony are going to get caught with their pants down next gen. Hell, they're falling behind now in terms of customer service and online infrastructure. It's amazing to me that they still have the same shitty browser that they kicked off with. That fuckin thing is so slow and broken, it literally falls apart at the site of a gif or any website that as an advert on it. If you want a good laugh go try and browse Metacritic on it. Meanwhile MS have been creeping up, looking ahead and putting in work. Sony's saving grace is it's software library. That's where it excels, especially compared to the XBox's. Sony can't rely on MS having a shit library forever though. MS seems to have finally woken up and are making efforts to improve their library. Whether they'll ever match Sony's I don't know but Sony have got to start getting their shit together.

ROMhack

I know where you're coming from but I don't think this is a problem for Sony whatsoever. They alienate people here maybe but they're dominating the mainstream market through games like God of War, RDR2 and Spiderman. Unless a major competitor comes in, I think they'll continue to sell really well because nobody else is publishing those titles.

It's been happening for years as Sony have shifted away from being a Japan-centric company. They aren't cool anymore, far from it.

Our opinion isn't important unfortunately. Remember Vita?

Last edited:

Arkage

Banned
Sony literally in the best position it's been in a decade.

"Let's make a thread about how they have the worst leadership ever. Also, nobody wants GoW type games with long development times" fuckin lol

Last edited:

CeeJay

I'm sure Sony will be fine. They may be quiet now and just riding out the rest of the gen but you can bet that they will be ready to compete at the start of next gen. This quiet period will be a distant memory in a couple of years.

sublimit

Banned
I honestly don't care if what they are doing is good or bad for them. I have zero loyalty to any company. They can go under tomorrow for all i care. Yes i have been buying Playstation systems since 1998 and most of my games are for their platforms. That was mostly because their portfolio offered an incredible variety of unique Japanese exclusive titles (first party or not) that i couldn't find anywhere else.

However this has been changing lately for the worse with their emphasis on safe,mainstream,cinematic exclusives. I also don't like Sony's recent double standards when it comes to censorship against Japanese-only games. Current trends of both business and gaming models,like digital-only,subscription services, streaming services,online-only games as services, all these are also not for me. But this is something that applies to the industry in general and not only to Sony.

If this continues and i'm not satisfied by their output as a customer i will look for alternatives. If i'm not satisfied by the alternatives either (which is quite possible at least for Xbox) then it will be high time to finally start giving proper attention to my backlog and also replay the games that i love. I have a backlog that can last me 2 lifetimes and thank God i'm not playing games for their graphics only so i can really enjoy old games for what they offer(ed) and immerse myself in them just as if i was playing a modern game.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I understand the frustration at closing down studios and not acquiring ones to replace them but the other issues (crossplay and censoring) are very minor. Censoring is the one I disagree with the most but it's not gonna stop me supporting PS.

Crossplay is bull and they shouldn't allow it, so Google needs their own sustainable crowd to play multiplayer and if they don't have the numbers, too bad.

rəddəM

We get you, you don't like PlayStation very much right now, it's ok. They've been radio silent and mysterious while enjoying the gaming's throne for quite some time now. Promises are still to be delivered and the prospect of new games are scarse. You're just waiting and waiting... It's ok.
Everything is gonna be alright in the end, have faith.

sublimit

Banned
Isn't the Playstation brand extremely successful? Surely that's due to bad leadership.
I think the OP is more like trying to ring the "danger bell" pinpointing specific issues that exist within current Sony in order for the situation to not get worse in the future. I know it's hard to hear any "danger bell" within all the laughs and celebrations within current Sony but the past has shown that it can all go very wrong very,very fast.

Last edited:

ViolentP

I think the OP is more like trying to ring the "danger bell" pinpointing specific issues that exist within current Sony in order for the situation to not get worse in the future. I know it's hard to hear any "danger bell" within all the laughs and celebrations within current Sony but the past has shown that it can all go very wrong very,very fast.

No doubt there is plenty room for improvement. Putting their leadership into question when there is an abundance of contrary evidence was probably not the best way to bring attention to those issues, however.

sublimit

Banned
No doubt there is plenty room for improvement. Putting their leadership into question when there is an abundance of contrary evidence was probably not the best way to bring attention to those issues, however.
Well those issues exist thanks to their current leadership.And it will probably be the same leadership going on to next gen.

ViolentP

Well those issues exist thanks to their current leadership.And it will probably be the same leadership going on to next gen.

It will be. Because we as consumers choose to buy and we choose to buy because the benefits far outweigh the negatives. As a business, this is ideal. Sony doesn't need to play their full hand because they already have our business. When business starts to wane, you'll start seeing more customer-facing improvements to their model.

Never play an ace when a two will do.

Jack Tretton was an alpha male leader:

Shawn Layden seems like a beta/soy boy to me. He hasn't done anything remarkable for the PS brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom