• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is how you play Red Alert 2 in 2021

jigglet

Banned
Buy the game (via EA's shitty store), then install this patch: https://cncnet.org/red-alert-2

I rarely come across any patches this perfect. I have been playing for a few years now....and not a single crash. Not one. No glitches, no bugs, nothing.

Usually old games with patches come with a ton of caveats. Or a million patches, fixes, and hacks you have to install to get it running. Not this one. It's literally one patch and it works flawlessly.

And it's not some fake ass 1080p / 1440p with stretched pixels. It renders natively in modern resolutions (this includes the UI, some games like Generals can be scaled to modern resolutions but the UI is still locked to the past).

And about 18 months ago they added support for the campaign (launch directly from Origin after installing the patch, CnCnet launcher is only for multiplayer or skirmish).

All the other C&C games are a massive pain in the ass to get working, but this one is perfection.

If you've ever enjoyed this game, do yourself a favour and get this patch.

(look how damn sharp the pixels are below, it doesn't even need a remaster)

iu

(btw the definitive source for anything C&C these days is here: https://cnc.community/ -- here you can find info on how to run past C&C games. As I said none of them run as flawlessly as RA2 but I guess if you're still determined to play them, you know where to start)

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
wow this mod supports campaign finally ??
thanks OP i will redownload this

Spukc

MVTmYGH.png

looks pretty damn sick in 21:9

campaign is still not working tho ?

fatty

I played only a little bit of Red Alert back in the day, it was always Warcraft/Starcraft that took up my RTS time.

That sure does look beautiful, might have to go back and play it. Thanks!

Last edited:

Spukc

OOOH ok

it works but camera movement is glitchy AF maybe it's a 21:9 issue

Last edited:

Pidull

I rediscovered RA2 about 12 years ago and went on a binge with it, eventually I let it go again around 2015. When they modded the resolution it was a game changer.

Wish I didn't suck so much though, I can't multitask for shit so as soon as I pump out a bunch of tanks from a couple war factories I start sucking. One of my mates was a map hacker in Yuri's for years and pretty damn good with Yuri, after they fixed the hacking issues he learned how to play well legitimately.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Definitely going to have to try it out, played endlessly many years ago. People used to constantly call me a cheater even though it never once happened, lol.

Been thinking of checking out Red Alert 3 myself. I want to see those Gina Carano/Tim Curry/David Hasselhoff cutscenes.

Last edited:

Allandor

Still a great game. I'm replaying it at least once a year.
The "patches" from cncnet are great. But the game still crashes from time to time. Don't forget to save regularly.

FrozenFlame

There, fixed this.

Actually, I hate to ask questions, but is anyone aware of a place you can buy a digital copy of Generals? I miss that game.
Get the Command & Conquer: The ultimate collection. It includes Generals and the Zero Hour expansion.
I think it goes for $5 on sales (at least it did on Amazon) but you can also get it for that price on cdkeys.com. Alternatively, you can play it if you have EA Play.

V4skunk

Banned
Buy the game (via EA's shitty store), then install this patch: https://cncnet.org/red-alert-2

I rarely come across any patches this perfect. I have been playing for a few years now....and not a single crash. Not one. No glitches, no bugs, nothing.

Usually old games with patches come with a ton of caveats. Or a million patches, fixes, and hacks you have to install to get it running. Not this one. It's literally one patch and it works flawlessly.

And it's not some fake ass 1080p / 1440p with stretched pixels. It renders natively in modern resolutions.

And about 18 months ago they added support for the campaign.

All the other C&C games are a massive pain in the ass to get working, but this one is perfection.

If you've ever enjoyed this game, do yourself a favor and get this patch.

(look how damn sharp the pixels are below, it doesn't even need a remaster)

iu
You should check out Tiberian Sun!
It looks even better imo and much more atmospheric because of its lighting system.
The Twisted Insurrection mod is also good.

jigglet

Banned
You should check out Tiberian Sun!
It looks even better imo and much more atmospheric because of its lighting system.
The Twisted Insurrection mod is also good.

I haven't tried it so I can't comment on the quality. I only posted about RA2 cause it's so rock solid stable and easy to install. I usually find it hard to recommend mods that require multiple patch files, config changes and a bunch of other hacks. TS is probably fine as it runs on the RA2 engine but I'm not sure enough to make a recommendation on it.

jigglet

Banned
There, fixed this.

Actually, I hate to ask questions, but is anyone aware of a place you can buy a digital copy of Generals? I miss that game.

I find it hard to recommend Generals. The GenTools patch does a lot to prevent crashing, but eventually you will get the odd crash. Unless you play a rush style game, it's difficult to play. If you are a turtler then it can be heartbreaking to see the army you've spent an hour building just disappear as the game crashes.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's great, my problem so far is my screen glitches when I hit the left side with the mouse in 4k.

Top Bottom