• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is Phil Fish

QaaQer

Before I give this youtube personality my time, is he just stirring up shit? I mean phil left the spotlight and gamerhate behind, why dredge?

Carcetti

That was a lot more interesting than I figured it would be.

Before I give this youtube personality my time, is he just stirring up shit? I mean phil left the spotlight and gamerhate behind, why dredge?

The video was less about Phil Fish than it was about people reacting to their perception of Phil Fish.

Nibel

Just watch it. If it was a waste of your time, I wouldn't have post it in the first place. The video offers a interesting take on internet celebrities such as Phil and while he plays a role in the video it's much more about the phenomenon itself.

That was an interesting watch.

My interaction with Phil was quite short, I sent him a mean tweet for whatever reason and he blocked me. In retrospect, I shouldn't have done that.

QaaQer

It is worth the time to watch the video.

Glad I watched that, fantastic.

I always hated seeing a Fish thread here because it made me want to never come back, like the early Anita threads before the mods cracked down.

I'd like to see something about what psychological need is fulfilled by hating someone a person has never met and does not know.

Nohar

Interesting video, though I think the OP could have fleshed out his post a little to give more incentive to people to actually watch said video (no offense, it's just that I find your post bare-boned).

QaaQer

That was an interesting watch.

My interaction with Phil was quite short, I sent him a mean tweet for whatever reason and he blocked me. In retrospect, I shouldn't have done that.

he never said 'japanese games suck' he actually said 'you guys need to get with the times'.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
he never said 'japanese games suck' he actually said 'you guys need to get with the times'.

No, he said "your games just suck"

I'd link the youtube video for proof, but it's been removed via a copyright claim from Blinkworks Media, creators of Indie Game the Movie. Shocking!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I don't know if I want to keep watching this to make more talking points but I think some of what the video creator is saying is wrong.

~7m40s claiming that reviews, criticisms and editorials have "no material repercussions on gaming as a whole, on how games are made and distributed..."

?_?

Also he thinks tweeting "anita sarkeesian is a hero" and bragging about winning an award and telling someone "suck my dick. choke on it" before his game was out are the same in terms of being newsworthy?

When asked specifically about Japanese games, he said "Your games just suck." Which is, no matter how you slice it, the same as saying "Japanese games suck." Like how "What colour is the sky?" "It is blue." is the same as saying "The sky is blue."

Phil Fish makes for an interesting case study about internet celebrity, but I feel like the video dismisses or overlooks the extent of some of Fish's comments. The Japanese games comment wasn't picked up because of how culturally insensitive it was, it was also picked up on because it was demonstrably not true, and was an example of a clueless developer talking out of his ass. The video also seems to imply that game articles and editorial pieces on game developer comments are somehow not proper journalism, despite the fact that comments of creatives in other media have often been heavily reported and discussed. If writers can post articles on the comments of Mel Gibson, why not Phil Fish? Do we ignore both, and just write reviews of Fez and Apocalypto?

QaaQer

No, he said "your games just suck"

I'd link the youtube video for proof, but it's been removed via a copyright claim from Blinkworks Media, creators of Indie Game the Movie. Shocking!

nope. he said 'you guys need to get with the times' followed by a discussion with jon blow about the problems with both american and japanese game design. watch the vid.

someone did tweet 'what do you think of japanese games' and he tweeted back 'they suck'. But seriously, it was a tweet, not something said to someone's face.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
nope. he said 'you guys need to get with the times' followed by a discussion with jon blow about the problems with both american and japanese game design. watch the vid.

someone did tweet 'what do you think of japanese games' and he tweeted back 'they suck'. But seriously, it was a tweet, not something said to someone's face.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/03/07/modern-japanese-games-just-suck-says-phil-fish
http://www.develop-online.net/news/gdc-japanese-dev-mocked-your-games-suck/0111354
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...fish-declares-modern-japanese-games-just-suck

etc.

QaaQer

When asked specifically about Japanese games, he said "Your games just suck." Which is, no matter how you slice it, the same as saying "Japanese games suck." Like how "What colour is the sky?" "It is blue." is the same as saying "The sky is blue."

Phil Fish makes for an interesting case study about internet celebrity, but I feel like the video dismisses or overlooks the extent of some of Fish's comments. The Japanese games comment wasn't picked up because of how culturally insensitive it was, it was also picked up on because it was demonstrably not true, and was an example of a clueless developer talking out of his ass. The video also seems to imply that game articles and editorial pieces on game developer comments are somehow not proper journalism, despite the fact that comments of creatives in other media have often been heavily reported and discussed. If writers can post articles on the comments of Mel Gibson, why not Phil Fish? Do we ignore both, and just write reviews of Fez and Apocalypto?

source? Kotaku, IGN, and everyone else made up a quote from gdc that never happened. watch the video.

Will watch this when I get home. Despite his flaws I like Phil and would rather listen to him talk passionately rightly or wrongly on something than have pure pr stuff other devs say.

Sometimes I play Fez with a mirror behind me, I'll turn towards the Fez mirror, and say Fish Phil 5 times. Sometimes I lose hope that he'll ever return but when that happens I look into the mirror again and Believe.

Top Bottom