• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is SSX (Trailer) + Uber Mondays

From what I've heard from various developers, controller input/filtering FPS is more important than on-screen FPS anyway. It means less delay/input lag, and this naturally makes for a smoother experience.

yeah sorta like how Eurogamer's Digital Foundry does their console-latency tests? I'm all for that.

All I'm saying is: someone's saying that 60-fps is a must-have for them to purchase SSX 2012 is just crazytalk with regards to the series being console-only for it's entirety.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
yeah sorta like how Eurogamer's Digital Foundry does their console-latency tests? I'm all for that but someone's opinion being that 60-fps is a must-have to purchase SSX 2012 is just crazytalk.
It's a bit crazy to avoid the game for that reason, but they absolutely could have hit that 60 fps target if they made it a priority.

soultron

Banned
yeah sorta like how Eurogamer's Digital Foundry does their console-latency tests? I'm all for that but someone's opinion being that 60-fps is a must-have to purchase SSX 2012 is just crazytalk.

It'd be nice, but as others have already stated, this is a console game. I'd rather have it locked at 30 than a fluctuating 60.

Now if SSX2012 had a PC port then I'd secede that maybe they should be able to pull back from motionblur and bring it up to 60. But that's not the case and is also farther from the fact that the game has been developed to be console exclusive from the start.

Then again if there was a PC port I wouldn't even look at my 360 as an option :lol

soultron

Banned
It's a bit crazy to avoid the game for that reason, but they absolutely could have hit that 60 fps target if they made it a priority.

You probably wouldn't see things like EA Harmony. The game probably wouldn't look as good either. And you'd most likely never be seeing splitscreen, or at least not at 60 like SP gameplay.

People act like 60FPS (EDIT: on console) is an easy goal. It's a lot of work.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You probably wouldn't see things like EA Harmony. The game probably wouldn't look as good either. And you'd most likely never be seeing splitscreen, or at least not at 60 like SP gameplay.

People act like 60FPS is an easy goal. It's a lot of work.
Who acts like that? It's an incredibly difficult goal to achieve. No question about it.

I do feel that the results are worth the effort, however. As I noted on the last page, Reflections pulled off a small miracle with Driver San Francisco.

930058_20110607_screen007.jpg

930058_20110607_screen001.jpg

Is it just me or does the game look a bit too "easy?" Everything is so forgiving. It looks like you can hold tricks until the last millisecond before landing, if you wipe out it looks like you can regain tons of speed and get crazy air off a jump even if it's only a few feet away, grinding seems to just lock on (not that it was difficult before)...

Is it just me or does the game look a bit too "easy?" Everything is so forgiving. It looks like you can hold tricks until the last millisecond before landing, if you wipe out it looks like you can regain tons of speed and get crazy air off a jump even if it's only a few feet away, grinding seems to just lock on (not that it was difficult before)...

im pissed about the balance mechanic for grinding is gone... :(

I hope they re-iterate a legacy grinding mode like they have a legacy trick mode.(even if the legacy trick mode is only input and not physics based)

soultron

Banned
Who acts like that? It's an incredibly difficult goal to achieve. No question about it.

I do feel that the results are worth the effort, however. As I noted on the last page, Reflections pulled off a small miracle with Driver San Francisco.

I wonder what features were cut or what compromises were made, however, to get the game to run at 60 FPS on console. Or even what middleware they used.

I feel like we'd not get a great feature like Harmony or the new physics engine (or one as complex in its simulation aspect) if the folks at EAC attempted to get SSX running at 60 in 3 years. Maybe the next SSX game will do this because, at that point, the physics tech and Harmony will be ready to re-use, rather than building these tech packages during the actual development cycle.

im pissed about the balance mechanic for grinding is gone... :(

I hope they re-iterate a legacy grinding mode like they have a legacy trick mode.(even if the legacy trick mode is only input and not physics based)

Connor Dougan explained it in the GB QL that the team felt it was best to just drop it because sometimes, on a short grind (or grinds made shorter by faster speeds -- and boosting on top of that), you'll be engaged on a rail for a very short amount of time. It doesn't make sense, and detracts from the fun, if you're forced to engage in a mini-game for not even 2 seconds to keep your string going.

When we visited in the summer we were also very adamant about Uber grinds being in the game. If they require directional inputs, I'd rather be able to focus on those operations rather than Uber grinding and balancing at the same time, or even interchangeably.

I totally understand where you're coming from, but I think it's a smarter design decision that we'll all appreciate when we get our hands on it and start stringing MASSIVE combos together by using rails to chain tricks.

Connor Dougan explained it in the GB QL that the team felt it was best to just drop it because sometimes, on a short grind (or grinds made shorter by faster speeds -- and boosting on top of that), you'll be engaged on a rail for a very short amount of time. It doesn't make sense, and detracts from the fun, if you're forced to engage in a mini-game for not even 2 seconds to keep your string going.

When we visited in the summer we were also very adamant about Uber grinds, so if those require directional inputs, I'd rather be able to focus on those operations rather than Uber grinding and balancing at the same time, or even interchangeably.

I totally understand where you're coming from, but I think it's a smarter design decision that we'll all appreciate when we get our hands on it and start stringing MASSIVE combos together by using rails to chain tricks.

Thinking back to SSX 3, as long as you were grinding with the board perpendicular to the rail there was basically no need to balance anyway. The only time you really needed to pay attention to balance if you were grinding with the board parallel to the rail. As a result, I always switched it to perpendicular as soon as I hit a rail.

So you may as well drop the balancing in my opinion.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Maybe I missed it awhile back, but didn't they say early on that the characters would have outfits from past SSX titles? It will be disappointing if their definition of different outfits is the same one they're currently wearing just a different color.

Thinking back to SSX 3, as long as you were grinding with the board perpendicular to the rail there was basically no need to balance anyway. The only time you really needed to pay attention to balance if you were grinding with the board parallel to the rail. As a result, I always switched it to perpendicular as soon as I hit a rail.

So you may as well drop the balancing in my opinion.

This is what i would do (and still do to this day while trying to max out XBOX SSX3) So i guess it's not that big of a deal now that I think about what soultron explained it.

-BTW, I regietered over at the Gravitude Bar SSX FanForums, because souldtron kept shamelessly plugging the place (jk).

-But seriously bro, they've got this "post your SX2012 HarmonyRace/Trick/Survive Playlist Thread" that's got some amazing suggestions and is making me seriously want to know exactly what our song limits are so I can start building a playlist for each gametype pronto.

btkadams

This is what i would do (and still do to this day while trying to max out XBOX SSX3) So i guess it's not that big of a deal now that I think about what soultron explained it.

-BTW, I regietered over at the Gravitude Bar SSX FanForums, because souldtron kept shamelessly plugging the place (jk).

-But seriously bro, they've got this "post your SX2012 HarmonyRace/Trick/Survive Playlist Thread" that's got some amazing suggestions and is making me seriously want to know exactly what our song limits are so I can start building a playlist for each gametype pronto.

is the game able to configure separate custom playlists for each mode or something?

is the game able to configure separate custom playlists for each mode or something?

Yes! It was mentioned in the GiantBomb Quick Look. This is totally awesome because I always prefer listening to slower and typically more hip-hop during trick events, and faster and typically more rock during races. So I'm totally setting that up.

btkadams

Yes! It was mentioned in the GiantBomb Quick Look. This is totally awesome because I always prefer listening to slower and typically more hip-hop during trick events, and faster and typically more rock during races. So I'm totally setting that up.

whaaaat? that's so awesome.

I've been noticing the exact same thing watching gameplay videos. The previous games certainly had that arcade sensibility about them, but this new game looks like it's taking the forgiving nature even further.

soultron

Banned
I've been noticing the exact same thing watching gameplay videos. The previous games certainly had that arcade sensibility about them, but this new game looks like it's taking the forgiving nature even further.

Connor Dougan is the best (current) SSX12 player in the world. Not only that, but (in the gameplay videos from this week) he's also rigged his characters to have 9mln+ credits meaning he could easily buy higher level gear with really good specs.

He definitely makes it look easy, sure. But some of the challenges (particularly the ridge run in the GB QL) look really hard.

Connor Dougan is the best (current) SSX12 player in the world. Not only that, but (in the gameplay videos from this week) he's also rigged his characters to have 9mln+ credits meaning he could easily buy higher level gear with really good specs.

He definitely makes it look easy, sure. But some of the challenges (particularly the ridge run in the GB QL) look really hard.

Yeah even as the "best" SSX2012 player in the world, he got crushed by that course. Granted, he was talking at the same time but still...

Also I bet that there are at least a dozen guys on the game's QA team that would absolutely embarrass him with their scores/times.

It'd be nice, but as others have already stated, this is a console game. I'd rather have it locked at 30 than a fluctuating 60.

And then there are games like Burnout Paradise that deliver a rock solid 60fps and an open world setting.

soultron said:

That's a good point, but they did admit to the rail sliding being more automated than the previous games, so it does seem they've made some things easier.

And then there are games like Burnout Paradise that deliver a rock solid 60fps and an open world setting.

And to think at one point Criterion was rumored to be making SSX. That would have been so tits. But EA Canada has clearly tried to make this "Burnout on a snowboard" and that is awesome.

soultron

Banned
Yeah even as the "best" SSX2012 player in the world, he got crushed by that course. Granted, he was talking at the same time but still...

Also I bet that there are at least a dozen guys on the game's QA team that would absolutely embarrass him with their scores/times.

These guys have been playing it ever since it was playable. Haha. Even in the summer, I only got to roughly 1/2 of Connor's score, using the lines that he himself showed to me. The guy is nuts at this game.

More videos (courtesy of Kivvi at Merq, vix at Merq also posted YouTube versions):

Mac gameplay
Ty gameplay
Zoe gameplay

Connor discusses the game with Gamesradar in these videos.

And to think at one point Criterion was rumored to be making SSX. That would have been so tits. But EA Canada has clearly tried to make this "Burnout on a snowboard" and that is awesome.

Yeah. I remember those SSX references in Burnout Paradise, and it did make me hope that was the case.

New videos look good, too bad you can't really get a feel for the character. Anyway, I like the design of Ty so I might just use him.

soultron

Banned
New videos look good, too bad you can't really get a feel for the character. Anyway, I like the design of Ty so I might just use him.

Yeah, since Connor is narrating, the game audio is too low to really hear the character chatter.

The Trees DD was so awesome. Some nice berms and high snowbanks to really tear into with heavy carving.

Rewatching the IGN stream and I just noticed that Connor mentioned an iPhone all that lets you keep track of your records on the go. Insane.

Pre-ordered earlier. Couldn't find it for less than £39.89. Am I right in thinking that you can usually find Sony published games for less than RRP at release, but its a lot harder to find a pre-release bargain on third-party games?

Yeah, since Connor is narrating, the game audio is too low to really hear the character chatter.

The Trees DD was so awesome. Some nice berms and high snowbanks to really tear into with heavy carving.

I found it underwhelming. I was hoping for 1. more trees; 2. some sort of... fog. Any kind of fog. As it is it's too easy. The track itself is one single path and that means it'll get even easier after some time.

I'm starting to think I wish DDs weren't a one-off track. They all look easy as it is, some doable at first, some doable at max in 5 tries. I now wish they had 2 or 3 tracks per DD, like say an easier, introducing DD, hard, but doable. They'd ramp up difficulty in the next track, and the last one would truly be a 'boss fight' and be absolutely crazy to beat - stuff that could only be achieved by either being really good or trying hard for an hour. I feel they're easy because I'm an experienced player and I feel after an hour of playing I'll be fully familiar withe very nuance of the physics and gameplay. It's second nature to me playing SSX, the only 3 things that can make the experience difficult and rewarding like SSX3 was are either very high scores on trick it and very fast times on race it, really, really hard DDs, or an entirely new control scheme. And they put the classic scheme back into the game. I do love that Alps track that was narrow as fuck. That was fricking awesome and they did say they had a small few in the game.

... Then again I intend to do the DDs without equipments. Hell yeah 4% surviving chance on the gravity DD. That's WAY more interesting to me!

soultron

Banned
I found it underwhelming. I was hoping for 1. more trees; 2. some sort of... fog. Any kind of fog. As it is it's too easy. The track itself is one single path and that means it'll get even easier after some time.

I'm starting to think I wish DDs weren't a one-off track. They all look easy as it is, some doable at first, some doable at max in 5 tries. I now wish they had 2 or 3 tracks per DD, like say an easier, introducing DD, hard, but doable. They'd ramp up difficulty in the next track, and the last one would truly be a 'boss fight' and be absolutely crazy to beat - stuff that could only be achieved by either being really good or trying hard for an hour. I feel they're easy because I'm an experienced player and I feel after an hour of playing I'll be fully familiar withe very nuance of the physics and gameplay. It's second nature to me playing SSX, the only 3 things that can make the experience difficult and rewarding like SSX3 was are either very high scores on trick it and very fast times on race it, really, really hard DDs, or an entirely new control scheme. And they put the classic scheme back into the game. I do love that Alps track that was narrow as fuck. That was fricking awesome and they did say they had a small few in the game.

... Then again I intend to do the DDs without equipments. Hell yeah 4% surviving chance on the gravity DD. That's WAY more interesting to me!

I thought the entire point of Survive It was to go for multiple runs, where each run gets successively harder. This allows you to compete with your friends as well.

Connor showcased this in the Gravity run on the GB QL.

I thought the entire point of Survive It was to go for multiple runs, where each run gets successively harder. This allows you to compete with your friends as well.

Connor showcased this in the Gravity run on the GB QL.
I know about that but I'd prefer either a longer run or a harder one. There's no point explaining though, I can't have everything lol. I'm happy with what I'm getting. It's gonna be awesome and frustrating to go for the top of the leaderboards on those 9 tracks.

Blutonium

Is it possible to use a normal camera in the deadly descent (avalanche) mode? Who's idea was this, really?

A birds-eye view with an avalanche gaining on you, will look so much better/intense if you ask me.

kaskade

I would love a demo. Mostly because I want to know which console to play on. Since SSX was always a playstation game to me it might feel kid of weird playing it on a 360 controller. But my friends are all on the 360. I did go back and play SSX 3 and games still holds up pretty damn well.

That Giant Bomb QL definitely sold me 100%. Not that I really wasnted before anyway.

I would love a demo. Mostly because I want to know which console to play on. Since SSX was always a playstation game to me it might feel kid of weird playing it on a 360 controller. But my friends are all on the 360. I did go back and play SSX 3 and games still holds up pretty damn well.

That Giant Bomb QL definitely sold me 100%. Not that I really wasnted before anyway.

The extra mountain on the PS3 is making my decision easier, but if it were the superior version, you'd think they'd be demoing that one. Maybe it's just easier to demo on a 360 dev unit and show off the online interactions via XBL.

prophecy0

This is exactly my dilemma. I guess the demo will be the deciding factor for me as well.

Top Bottom