• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is the most amazing emulation project i've seen in a long. long time.

shuri

Banned
What's going on in those pics? Can you spot it? It looks like an old pinball machine, right?

P1020961%20%28Large%29.JPG

P1020925%20%28Large%29.JPG

P1030132%20%28Large%29.JPG

P1030400%20%28Large%29.JPG

P1030404%20%28Large%29.JPG

P1030007%20%28Large%29.JPG

Wait, whats this?

This guy took an original pinball cab, fitted 3 LCDS (a 46" for the playfield, 30" for the panel, and a 19 for the matrix display score counter), running a custom interface for a pc-based emulator that runs the original roms with scanned art for the playfield. The flipper buttons works, everything works like the real thing.

Here is the video of his table running it.. . Check out how smoothly he switches for a table to another one. This is so fucking AWESOME!!!!!

- empty star trek : tng widebody cabinet with
---> new legs
---> new widebody lockbar
---> new "old" williams siderails
---> black painted coindoor (illuminated)
---> wired coin acceptors
---> pinball service buttons
---> new playfield and backbox glass
---> blank williams speakerpanel / grill

- 46" 16:9 lcd sharp fullhd 1080p screen
- 30" 16:9 lcd hdready 720p screen
- 19" 4:3 lcd dmd-screen

- pc-setup
---> winxp sp3
---> core2duo @ 3600mhz
---> asus p5wdh deluxe mainboard
---> 4gig 1066 ddr2 ram
---> 32gb ssd super talent (read: 230MB/s - write: 160MB/s)
---> nvidia gtx260 with 1792mb ram (for playfield and dmd)
---> nvidia gs7600 with 512mb ram (for backbox/backglass)
---> soundblaster x-fi crystalizer pci soundcard (great enhancement for pinball-sound)
---> 550 watt 80+ arctic psu / 86% efficiency

- mot-ion & digital plunger set
- 2.1 quality teufel soundsystem with huge subwoofer (provides a nice and clear force-feedback)
- 4x led-illuminated transparent pinball buttons with leaf-switches
- 6x led-illuminated servicebuttons with plotted inlays
- 3x 22cm fans for cab ventilation / silent & powerfull 600rpm, 161.61m³/h (2x cabinet / 1x backbox)

MAME cabs are ALWAYS super ghetto looking monsters, but this guy managed to pull something classy and professional looking.

Holy crap, i want to make THIS!

FnordChan

That is fantastic. While emulation can't convey the physicality of pinball, that's still an amazing achievement. I am completely blown away. Thanks for sharing that link! I'm now going to go pine for a pin, virtual or otherwise, of my own.

FnordChan

SmokyDave

That is outstanding. It'd make me physically sick trying to keep that playfield clean though. I should look at re-installing PinMame.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing can compare to the tactile response of a real pinball machine but that looks like a very worthy effort. That's awesome. He picked some of the best tables too.

That is very impressive!

I will admit something like that though could never replace the real thing as it just wouldnt be the same experience, my dad owns these 2 machines:

Gottlieb's 300:
300%20july2008%20003.jpg

Gottliebs Central Park:
centralpark.jpg

I will again say that it is very impressive and would still be something i would love to own.

shuri

Banned
From what I've read, the emulator he uses has some sort of sick physics simulator built-in, thats why he has a beast under the hood. Of course, the physical feeling will never be the same, but pinball collecting is a really expensive hobby.. the good tables are worth a lot, and maintenance is a bitch. You can always buy reproduction sidearts and marquees for arcade games, but its impossible to buy repro art for a new playfield, and same things with the games.. the market is flooded with Hong Kong bootleg version of titles, so if you really want a pcb, you can find still it easily.

Chairhome

That is amazing. I have a MAME cabinet that I just finally got hooked up again, but I am jealous. How much did he spend on that? And what's the name of the Pinball emulator? I remember hearing it before, but I've never looked into it.

SmokyDave

Chairhome said:
That is amazing. I have a MAME cabinet that I just finally got hooked up again, but I am jealous. How much did he spend on that? And what's the name of the Pinball emulator? I remember hearing it before, but I've never looked into it.

That is Visual Pinball with some sort of front-end. PinMAME is another Pinball Emulator.

Holy crap, that is freaking awesome. I'm surprised that pinball machine manufacturers haven't done something similar, it would be much cheaper to make new machines since they could just release each new table on a disc and just reuse the hardware (Like a console!)

Darklord

Banned
That's pretty amazing but if I buy a pinball machine I want the feel of it, not like I'm looking at a screen or something. Still, like I said its awesome.

bdouble

Insane. Not the biggest fan of pinball but of I ever did get a table that would be the way to go for me. Yeah you don't have the physical feel but at the same time you get any table you wan almost.

BlueWord

Very impressive. I would never be able to justify spending what this must cost to build, but it's still cool to see.

neptunes

Grooveraider said:
Dude, with companies like this: http://www.hyundaiit.com/ producing 3-D HDTVs.
I wouldn't doubt the programmers behind those pinball emulators to add a
3-D application. Hell even make it optional so you can toggle between 2-D & 3-D.

Ofcourse you'll have to wear glasses when playing :D
3D.jpg
Couple the 3D with some advance rumble (just on the front and side panels), and you'd get a pretty cool experience.

shuri said:
MAME cabs are ALWAYS super ghetto looking monsters, but this guy managed to pull something classy and professional looking.!
I disagree, there are tons of awesome, classy MAME machines out there. Here's an example:
index.php

Nuclear Muffin said:
Holy crap, that is freaking awesome. I'm surprised that pinball machine manufacturers haven't done something similar, it would be much cheaper to make new machines since they could just release each new table on a disc and just reuse the hardware (Like a console!)
Actually, there is a commercial virtual pinball machine using the exact same emulators, they just kinda went cheap with the backglass TV:
ultrapin-livetopview-topside.jpg

ultrapin-livetopview.jpg

The cool thing is, they put things in the case that thunk when you use a flipper, so it feels real.

Top Bottom