• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Is What a "Second-Person" Video Game Would Look Like (Fascinating Content)

This guy actually delivered!
rsz_1rsz_5z1dito.png

Last edited:
How about you go make another thread where you ask people if you should kill your best friends husband or play oblivion in 2019? Also learn to resize images you brainlet.
First of all, I never made a thread where I asked whether to kill my best friend's husband. Second, you are a Baka if you really think I'm upset with you or something. I'm just joking with you, sillygoose :(

How about you go make another thread where you ask people if you should kill your best friends husband or play oblivion in 2019? Also learn to resize images you brainlet.
Also, that connection I made with the second-person and your favourite (you) meme should've made you chuckle at the very least :'(

Z..

I've always been of the opinion that most RTS games are second person. There's a ton of characters and you as their leader have to manually select each of them and say "you, go do this". Hell, any game where you're not in direct control of a character would qualify, so MOBAs and Diablo would also qualify.

CYOA games and roleplaying books are generally 2nd person, because they have to describe scenarios to you.

In that sense, all games are 2nd person narratives because they necessarily have to describe things happening to you, the player, in a visual rather than written medium.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
feel like MGS2 has a bit of "2nd person game" feel to it when you shift to playing as Raiden. there are times where you see the character you were formerly controlling, and it kind of produces an out of body experience. you are (almost) watching you play the game. two frames of reference.

the key seems to be setting a perspective and then shifting it. the player having two frames of reference. with Driver, the main driving is done via 1st person view. you are driving car B following car A. then the shift happens, and you control car A. yet the perspective does not change. this is crucial to the "2nd person game" theory. the perspective has not changed but the gameplay has. in effect you are playing a person (car B) watching another person (car A) drive a car. two points of reference. 2nd person game boiiiiiii.

it is not 1st person anymore because tho you are looking from the inside of car B, you are controlling car A. 1st person for car A would be you looking out from inside car A. it has to be controlling & viewing from the same reference point. it is not 3rd person because with 3rd person games the camera is the Silent Observer. just a technical necessity, not a part of the story itself. it is not a character in it's own right, usually, unless in games like Super Mario 64, where it is cheekily referenced from time to time. actually, given the framing of SM64, that may be a 2nd person game in parts...

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
This is so simple and obvious that people are missing it and making it out to be more complicated than it really is.

Every RTS game is second person. Second person is literally imperative commands. You're literally telling people you're not in direct control of to do shit. Hey you, go there. You, come here. You can't control their specific pathing or how they actually move. You just direct commands at them and let them interpret your commands.

In a third person game, you have complete direct control over something. It is you, just from outside the perspective of the thing you're directly controlling. In a second person game you're commanding or communicating with something else. Also the battlefield commander in battlefield games that gives orders would be second person.

The Driver example doesn't even work because it's YOU. You're simply controlling two objects directly instead of one. That isn't second person because you're in direct control.

The video is stupid. RTS games are true second person games.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
This is so simple and obvious that people are missing it and making it out to be more complicated than it really is.

Every RTS game is second person. Second person is literally imperative commands. You're literally telling people you're not in direct control of to do shit. Hey you, go there. You, come here. You can't control their specific pathing or how they actually move. You just direct commands at them and let them interpret your commands.

In a third person game, you have complete direct control over something. It is you, just from outside the perspective of the thing you're directly controlling. In a second person game you're commanding or communicating with something else. Also the battlefield commander in battlefield games that gives orders would be second person.

The Driver example doesn't even work because it's YOU. You're simply controlling two objects directly instead of one. That isn't second person because you're in direct control.

The video is stupid. RTS games are true second person games.

I was going to say the exact same thing. He gets it right all the way up until he brings up that Driver game. That is not 2nd person, that is still 1st/3rd person. Every SRPG with multiple characters that you control and every RTS are in second person.

Kamina

Golden Boy
From my understanding 2nd person view would be like playing The Last of Us, actively controlling Joel, but seeing from Ellies eyes.

dirthead

Banned
From my understanding 2nd person view would be like playing The Last of Us, actively controlling Joel, but seeing from Ellies eyes.

That'd just be third person. You can't have direct control in a second person game. It'd have to be a setup where you gave Joel commands but how he actually interpreted them and acted on them was out of your control.

It's just like if you were writing a book, and a line in the book was, "She was a good dancer, but you didn't hear that from me." That's the author telling the reader something. That could be followed, ignored, whatever. It's out of the author's control. By contrast, a book with a line like "I watched her perform the dance flawlessly" would be first person, and it's taken for a fact that the narrator thought that she danced flawlessly. "She performed the dance flawlessly," third person, is the same idea except even more authoritative because it's just a godly detached statement of fact.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I could be very off here does Fire Emblem considered "2nd person" while Valkyria Chronicles considered 3rd person because you have full control for each unit?

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
Yeah Valkyria Chronciles is absolutely not second person because you have direct control over what the characters do.

Amusingly, Guardian Heroes has second person gameplay, because you can give the Golden Warrior commands, and how he interprets them is out of your control (and anyone who's played the game knows that he doesn't listen half the time).

guardianheroes-14-1-320x224.png

Shrap

Oof. It started off cool until he got pretentious -
"I can only describe it as transcendent"
"I was experiencing something almost no on else had"
"Shaken by my otherworldly encounter with this already existential mission"
""Richly existential and metatextual reflection"

This video seemed like an excuse just to jerk off over Driver SF. It's a great underappreciated game but he is trying way too hard.

I've always been of the opinion that most RTS games are second person. There's a ton of characters and you as their leader have to manually select each of them and say "you, go do this". Hell, any game where you're not in direct control of a character would qualify, so MOBAs and Diablo would also qualify.
Except shitty D3 on consoles you mean.

Z..

Except shitty D3 on consoles you mean.

As a long time Diablo 1 & 2 fan who had hundreds of hours of PC Diablo 3 under his belt before ever even trying the PS4 version, I can safely say there's really nothing shitty about D3 on consoles, it plays great.

Last edited:
This was just a stealth Driver: San Francisco appreciation vid. Is this just a stealth Driver appreciation thread? That guy from Polygon got fat.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Super Mario 64 is second person and it is pretty amazing. Not watching some random Youtube video though, it's probably just Death Stranding propaganda!

dirthead

Banned
As a long time Diablo 1 & 2 fan who had hundreds of hours of PC Diablo 3 under his belt before ever even trying the PS4 version, I can safely say there's really nothing shitty about D3 on consoles, it plays great.

I'm still bitter that the PC never got a gamepad option.

Well no-one gives a shit what you think because D3 on consoles isn't a 2nd person game because you're actively controlling the character yourself.

Last edited:

Z..

Well no-one gives a shit what you think because D3 on consoles isn't a 2nd person game because you're actively controlling the character yourself.
I never said it was, Don Quixote... I merely said it isn't shitty.
Watch out for those straw men, buddy!

stranno

In every single RC racing game ever you are supposed to be controlling the RC car from the guys perspective, so its pretty much the same thing: R.C. Pro-Am, RC De Go, etc.

If that counts then Remote Control Dandy for Playstation would be a far more better example than Driver: San Francisco.

Kwb3ApU.jpg

n-Space's Geist for Gamecube used this second person concept a lot if you want an FPS example.

Last edited:
Top Bottom