• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is why police shoot when they think a suspect could be dangerous

cryptoadam

Banned
Step 1 - "Is he black?" if no go to step three if yes go to step two.
Step 2 - "Shoot on sight because that wallet might be loaded, Johnson!"
Step 3 - Allow him to wave a loaded gun at you whilst screaming threatening obscenities about you as you repeatedly say "Calm down Sir, there is nothing we can't fix. I'm here to help you" with your gun firmly holstered and hands in the air whilst speaking in measured, calm tone.

Look at my post above, sometimes being white can't save you from police incompetence.

Its not only a black/white thing its across the board, police are badly trained, scared for their lives, and power hungry. And they know they can get away with any crime so they have 0 concerns for any consequences. Thats why they would rather blast an unarmed man on the .00001% chance he has a gun since all they have to say is "I feared for my life" and they get off scott free.

Gander

Banned
When you sign up to be a firefighter you know getting burned by fire is a possibility, when you sign up to be a cop you know getting shot on the job is a possibility'

Doesn't give you the right to shoot first ask questions second. Especially when cops be going to the wrong house on a regular basis.

Tesseract

Banned
my neighbor went missing, police knocked my door. i'm pretty shredded, opened the door in a slinky tank top. am 6 foot 4, nervous cop saw me and immediately placed his hand over his gun holster. unbuttoned the holster, was ready to pull and shoot.

i understand the precaution, but that shit seems kinda fucked up.

i dunno where i land on the issue. i side with them taking the precaution to shoot when violent acts present themselves, the context will always be a wildly fluctuating force.

fight, fright, or flight is a hell of a thing.

my neighbor went missing, police knocked my door. i'm pretty shredded, opened the door in a slinky tank top. am 6 foot 4, nervous cop saw me and immediately placed his hand over his gun holster. unbuttoned the holster, was ready to pull and shoot.

i understand the precaution, but that shit seems kinda fucked up.

i dunno where i land on the issue. i side with them taking the precaution to shoot when violent acts present themselves, the context will always be a wildly fluctuating force.

fight, fright, or flight is a hell of a thing.

slinky?

BANGS

Banned
Allow him to wave a loaded gun at you whilst screaming threatening obscenities about you as you repeatedly say "Calm down Sir, there is nothing we can't fix. I'm here to help you" with your gun firmly holstered and hands in the air whilst speaking in measured, calm tone.

Reference:
https://www.bet.com/news/national/2018/03/28/white-man-with-loaded-gun-peacefully-arrested.html
Your reference doesn't even come close to supporting your wild claim. Are you just reverse trolling SJWs with this nonsense?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Step 1 - "Is he black?" if no go to step three if yes go to step two.
Step 2 - "Shoot on sight because that wallet might be loaded, Johnson!"
Step 3 - Allow him to wave a loaded gun at you whilst screaming threatening obscenities about you as you repeatedly say "Calm down Sir, there is nothing we can't fix. I'm here to help you" with your gun firmly holstered and hands in the air whilst speaking in measured, calm tone.

Reference:
https://www.bet.com/news/national/2018/03/28/white-man-with-loaded-gun-peacefully-arrested.html

BRUH! This is insane!

I'll add this.

Police have a tough job and the choices they make are life and death, and can have massive impacts on entire communities. Very, very few professions have this hanging on their heads day in, and day out so I understand mistakes(sometimes deadly) and the immense pressure and scrutiny they face.

With that said, problems with the police are systemic, and the overwhelming problem are the recruits themselves, and the protection they get from unions, and fellow officers.

They absolutely have to be held to a higher standard at all times as we the people, have entrusted our safety, civility, and social fabric to them under a contract of trust. To often they break that public trust and getting rid of those that do so becomes a nightmare.

Police unions need to be greatly weakened, and fireable offenses need to be expanded. Sentencing for police officers for crimes of any type need to be much harsher then those for citizens as they have that public trust. I honestly believe that if those few things happen, problems will decrease.

I would also like to look at incidents that happen between city, county, and state troopers as the education required for those jobs are different and I think it will show in the statistics. If I'm not mistaken, the more education a person has, the less prone to violence they are, and the more use of critical thinking increases.

You keep blaming the unions, yet you fail to realize that the citizens themselves citywide don't seem to care that the police have this level of power. You cut kill all police unions and this same stuff would still be happening.

Last edited:

SonicSleuth

They ARE well-selected and well-trained and there is no evidence that they aren't. What you're ignoring is that there's bad seeds in every group. You can't weed out a guy for being aggressive if he has no past history or record of being aggressive. People fall through the cracks and flaws are sometimes not detectable. This isn't a case with the cops...it's an issue in EVERY workplace. Sometimes you simply make bad hires and you have no idea it was bad until there's a major screw-up or issue.

You're also ignoring that people change. A man is a very different person at 38 than they are at 28. Some people get more bitter and angry or have things that happen in life that change them...maybe they have a partner who is murdered. There's a millions things that can happen and absolutely no way to weed it out.

Your brilliant idea to stop cop brutality is already being done. You're just complaining that it's not perfect because it never will be simply because people are not perfect. Until all cops are replaced with robots, there is no way to ever stop this so please stop this and most precincts do whatever they can to do so.

This is why the protests on this are so frustrating. People complain and march and not one of them provides a solution...because there isn't one. Yet they complain and march as though there is.
As an attorney who's worked in criminal law for the past decade, I can tell you without question that there are *plenty* of poorly selected and poorly trained police. Arguing that this isn't a problem when the evidence is on display every day is some serious head-in-sand stuff.

Also, the argument that you don't know someone is a dirtbag until they do something dirtbaggy makes the selection process completely unnecessary, with everything that goes along with it. Background checks, psychological assessments, stress testing, in your world these will reveal no bad seeds.

The funny thing is that many of the police who find themselves in hot water have a history of bad or improper acts. In my county, defense attorneys have a running list of *still active* police who have been penalized for brutality and drug use. That is a selection problem.

chaos789

Banned
My psychology professor told me he use to have a job psychologically assessing people on who should and should not be qualified to be police officers. He told me he had to quit his job, because he said every candidate he had to psychologically assess was unfit to serve as a police officer.

Last edited:
Cops should be held to higher standards. Just the notion that a cop "feared" for their life shouldn't be enough of a get out of jail card. If as a cop you want to go around shooting people because your life is more important then those you serve and protect(yes even criminals are included) then they should be ready to face the consequences. If there are no weapons found on a person then the cop should face harsh punishment for making the WRONG decision that resulted in the end of someones life.

As a cop you know you are signing up for a dangerous job. If you aren't comfortable with putting the life of others ahead of yours then being a cop isn't the job for you. Be a garbageman or salesman instead. You don't get a gun and can't abuse your authority but you don't have to worry about putting your life on the line.
I completely agree with this.

Top Bottom