• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This LGBTQ+ Steam Sale is ridiculous

Whitecrow

Banned
LGTBQ sale!! ALways looking for equality and inclusion, putting up things to separate themselves.

They are so smart.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
This is a pretty obviously equality Fallacy you you have fallen for.

I bet you think straight pride parades are required for “equality”...
Ahahahaha

You cannot be more wrong.

They want to be treated equal, yet they dont stop to put useless tags on themselves and screaming what they are.
You think it's a fallacy? Great for you.

Like if some attention would solve the problem. HAHAHA that just make it worse, attention whoring just makes people get fucking tired of them.

Katsura

This is a pretty obviously equality Fallacy you you have fallen for.

I bet you think straight pride parades are required for “equality”...
What is an equality fallacy? Because that's the first i've ever heard of it and a quick search only gives links to rationalwiki which is not exactly the pinnacle of trustworthy and unbiased knowledge. I've heard of the false equivalence fallacy but i doubt that's what you had in mind

Ascend

What is an equality fallacy? Because that's the first i've ever heard of it and a quick search only gives links to rationalwiki which is not exactly the pinnacle of trustworthy and unbiased knowledge. I've heard of the false equivalence fallacy but i doubt that's what you had in mind
I always find the whole movement for- and even the term "gender equality".... interesting.... Wasn't the whole point of having a gazillion genders differentiation?

Nester99

The fallacy or mistake I am talking about is the idea that to achieve equality we must shut up about our differences.

You can still value individuality while fighting for fundamental freedoms for marginalized groups whose rights are supposed to be assured by a consensus via constitution or charter of rights and freedoms.

A sale for LGBT games to is no more an Affront to equality than a seniors discount at the movies or ladies night at the bar.

Claiming as such is the rallying call for veiled bigotry.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I always find the whole movement for- and even the term "gender equality".... interesting.... Wasn't the whole point of having a gazillion genders differentiation?

No, it was to be "treated" equally. It doesn't mean the LGBT community is looking to have one big label to be identified by.

FireFly

I think when people say they are for equality, they generally mean:

A.) Individuals should have the same basic rights and opportunities
B.) Individuals should be treated with full dignity and respect

Believing A.) and B.) doesn't commit us to any view about how individuals should actually live their lives, beyond the minimal constraint that they respect others' rights. So in no way does it commit us to the claim differences are bad or that only one way of living is the right one.

ExpandKong

Banned
It’s funny the amount of people saying where is the “straight sale” and what not shows there is still a long way to go for the LGBT community

Bruh they get special sales and their own month and Coming Out Day and laws multiplying punishment for crimes committed against them and corporations huge and small alike change their logos every year to try and sell them shit. Where else do they have to go?

Nester99

It’s funny the amount of people saying where is the “straight sale” and what not shows there is still a long way to go for the LGBT community

It’s like asking your mother on Mother’s Day, “when is children’s day” which of course is followed up by “every other day”

Last edited:

Ascend

A sale for LGBT games to is no more an Affront to equality than a seniors discount at the movies or ladies night at the bar.
Uh.... Let's clarify a few things, shall we?

The whole idea of seniors getting a discount is because they are presumed to have a lower income than the working class, which is logical and reasonable in most cases. Their pension is not as much as a normal salary, if they even have that at all, and with their physical limits to get work, it makes sense to give them some sort of compensation.

The whole idea of a ladies night came from the time that women either didn't do paid work or could only work part time. That made sense back then, but now is technically pandering, because women have the same (if not more) opportunities for income as men. But in any case, they still had value to society back then, either through supporting their man or their children at, and now in supporting large communities and having huge financial and political power.

What value do you bring to society if you choose to identify as a cat? Why does this somehow give you the right to a discount?

It’s like asking your mother on Mother’s Day, “when is children’s day” which of course is followed up by “every other day”
The same reaction men get regarding men's day. Which is a condescending and denigrating dismissal.

Last edited:

Katsura

The fallacy or mistake I am talking about is the idea that to achieve equality we must shut up about our differences.

You can still value individuality while fighting for fundamental freedoms for marginalized groups whose rights are supposed to be assured by a consensus via constitution or charter of rights and freedoms.

Claiming as such is the rallying call for veiled bigotry.
Yes, i got what you meant but i was doubting such a fallacy actually exists. So far i've yet to see any evidence beyond rational wiki, a fringe left website, so i am still doubting it's real. Do you have any links to the origin of the fallacy? Also, ladies nights is textbook discrimination. It doesn't support your case

Katsura

It's funny the amount of people getting aggressive and downright violent when there is a straight pride parade. It really shows how there is still a long way to go for actual equality

Last edited:

Ascend

I think when people say they are for equality, they generally mean:

A.) Individuals should have the same basic rights and opportunities
B.) Individuals should be treated with full dignity and respect

Believing A.) and B.) doesn't commit us to any view about how individuals should actually live their lives, beyond the minimal constraint that they respect others' rights. So in no way does it commit us to the claim differences are bad or that only one way of living is the right one.
Yeah.... I understand the sentiment but the world does not work that way. Do you have the same respect for someone that chose to drink and do drugs and ends up homeless, as you have for someone that had the same origin but worked their ass off instead and managed to maintain a job and a healthy family? You may intend to treat them both equally, but inevitably your attitude towards them will be completely different, even if the circumstances of the encounter are exactly the same.

How many of these people that claim to stand for equality look down on anyone that is not pushing for what they believe in? The majority of these people don't want equality. They want revenge against a ghost.

Do you mean Father’s Day?
No. Men's day.

Nester99

Yes, i got what you meant but i was doubting such a fallacy actually exists. So far i've yet to see any evidence beyond rational wiki, a fringe left website, so i am still doubting it's real. Do you have any links to the origin of the fallacy? Also, ladies nights is textbook discrimination. It doesn't support your case

Why are you looking for a third party confirmation how words work?

Fallacy means mistaken belief. The end nothing deeper. I am not talking about some fallacy anointed by the queen now destined to be “official”

I feel like you are trying to say if it’s not on a top ten list like a YouTube video on logical fallacies it does not exist. I hope that’s not what you are saying.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It’s a sale of games aimed at Gay people, what’s the issue? Are people offended that there are games for gay people? Or that they put them on sale

like somebody said there are all types of sales onSteam , when there are other sales that ain’t aimed at you do you get offended by that?

Katsura

Why are you looking for a third party confirmation how words work?

Fallacy means mistaken belief. The end nothing deeper. I am not talking about some fallacy anointed by the queen now destined to be “official”

I feel like you are trying to say if it’s not on a top ten list like a YouTube video on logical fallacies it does not exist. I hope that’s not what you are saying.
I'm implying you're invoking a fallacy made up by the fringe left and not recognized by anyone else. I gave you the chance to show that wasn't the case but it seems you cannot do that. You haven't even argued why it was a mistaken belief. It's almost as if you invoked it hoping it would lend some authority to your stance. By the way, a fallacy is much more than simply a mistaken belief

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Bruh they get special sales and their own month and Coming Out Day and laws multiplying punishment for crimes committed against them and corporations huge and small alike change their logos every year to try and sell them shit. Where else do they have to go?

so your saying that people like Alan Turing deserved his punishment for being gay and should not be pardend?

FireFly

Yeah.... I understand the sentiment but the world does not work that way. Do you have the same respect for someone that chose to drink and do drugs and ends up homeless, as you have for someone that had the same origin but worked their ass off instead and managed to maintain a job and a healthy family? You may intend to treat them both equally, but inevitably your attitude towards them will be completely different, even if the circumstances of the encounter are exactly the same.
I mean respect in a "moral" sense. You're free to think what you like about the person who chose to do drink and drugs (though disentangling choice from environment is pretty hard). But you wouldn't treating them with dignity and respect, in my sense if you followed them around all day and verbally abused them, or spat at them, or urinated on the spot where they planned on sleeping. (People actually do this in London).

ExpandKong

Banned
End of the day it’s a sale of games aimed at a certain type of people, there is nothing wrong with it. Why you so offended by it?

Hold on there pardner I still want you to explain why you’re saying I think Alan Turing deserved his indecency conviction nearly 70 years ago in a country I’ve never even visited and what that has to do with Steam sales.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Hold on there pardner I still want you to explain why you’re saying I think Alan Turing deserved his indecency conviction nearly 70 years ago in a country I’ve never even visited and what that has to do with Steam sales.

you broughtup about crimes against them, I pointed out a crime against somebody that was wrongly done. Simple

ExpandKong

Banned
you broughtup about crimes against them, I pointed out a crime against somebody that was wrongly done. Simple

If you had to go back 3/4 of a century and to the other side of the planet then maybe LGBT acceptance has come farther than you’re ready to admit.

Alan Turing probably would’ve thought Dream Daddy sucks anyway.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
If you had to go back 3/4 of a century and to the other side of the planet then maybe LGBT acceptance has come farther than you’re ready to admit.

Alan Turing probably would’ve thought Dream Daddy sucks anyway.

my side of the planet and it was one example buddy

has there never been a sale on steam where you have thought one or two titles were aimed at you?

Meicyn

Gold Member
This thread is pretty much the modern version of "WHY IS THERE A BLACK ENTERTAINMENT TELEVISION CHANNEL WHERE IS MY WHITE ENTERTAINMENT TELEVISION CHANNEL I BET IF THEY CALLED A CHANNEL WHITE ENTERTAINMENT TELEVISION THE OWNERS WOULD BE CALLED RACIST WE ARE THE REAL VICTIMS HERE" with the usual expected lack of empathy, historical context, and so forth.

Christ, some of you people are so fucking dense.

Nester99

I'm implying you're invoking a fallacy made up by the fringe left and not recognized by anyone else. I gave you the chance to show that wasn't the case but it seems you cannot do that. You haven't even argued why it was a mistaken belief. It's almost as if you invoked it hoping it would lend some authority to your stance. By the way, a fallacy is much more than simply a mistaken belief

I added the word fallacy. I did not steal a talking point from the left. I have no idea what the you are talking about. I have no more authority than any other anonymous person on gaf.

Take off your internet warrior armor and try and converse like a human being rather getting stuck in a feedback loop of tropes.

Katsura

I added the word fallacy. I did not steal a talking point from the left. I have no idea what the you are talking about. I have no more authority than any other anonymous person on gaf.

Take off your internet warrior armor and try and converse like a human being rather getting stuck in a feedback loop of tropes.
The irony here is of course the fallacies you've committed during the last 2 replies to me. You do see that, right? I'm simply calling you out on the nonsense you posted - 'the equality fallacy'. You made it up and so far you have yet to make a coherent point to actually back it, instead resorting to lame insults. Why don't you try to converse like a human being discussing a topic? You know, using logic and facts

ExpandKong

Banned
This thread is pretty much the modern version of "WHY IS THERE A BLACK ENTERTAINMENT TELEVISION CHANNEL WHERE IS MY WHITE ENTERTAINMENT TELEVISION CHANNEL I BET IF THEY CALLED A CHANNEL WHITE ENTERTAINMENT TELEVISION THE OWNERS WOULD BE CALLED RACIST WE ARE THE REAL VICTIMS HERE" with the usual expected lack of empathy, historical context, and so forth.

Christ, some of you people are so fucking dense.

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelax buddy

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
This is just old fashion capitalism trying to be cool. Happened before and will happen later

Also, you're overreacting

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's funny the amount of people getting aggressive and downright violent when there is a straight pride parade. It really shows how there is still a long way to go for actual equality

You must being trolling us right? We really going to act like us straights have it harder than the LGBT community? Come on bruh!

Ascend

It's a sale promoting games with LGBT+ characters and themes. Not a sale for LGBT+ people.
If only it were so simply. Who is the most likely to buy games with LGBTQ+ characters? Yeah. Exactly. Who is the most likely to actually get excited about this sale? Yeah. Exactly.

This is like Steam having a sale that promotes games made by French devs then complaining: "So Steam are saying French people refuse to play games made by non French devs?!" Stop being so silly.
This is complete utter nonsense and a non-sequitur. Where has anybody here said that the LGBTQ+ demographic does not play games that do not include LGBTQ+ characters? Or where has anybody here said that the LGBTQ+ demographic does not play games that weren't made by LGBTQ+ devs? I didn't see any. This is a typical well-poisoning argument, and nothing more.

ExpandKong

Banned
You must being trolling us right? We really going to act like us straights have it harder than the LGBT community? Come on bruh!

I think giving someone some kind of default amount of Pity Points because of their preferred flavor of genitals is...I dunno, patronizing? Infantilizing almost? Especially in America in 2019 where the LGBT community isn’t so much oppressed as it is celebrated.

But I’m just a straight white male so maybe it’s hard for me to see all the oppression from Straight White Male Castle, where every last straight white male secretly gathers to rule over the world.

Last edited:

Lister

Banned
I think giving someone some kind of default amount of Pity Points because of their preferred flavor of genitals is...I dunno, patronizing? Infantilizing almost? Especially in America in 2019 where the LGBT community isn’t so much oppressed as it is celebrated.

But I’m just a straight white male so maybe it’s hard for me to see all the oppression from Straight White Male Castle, where every last straight white male secretly gathers to rule over the world.

I dont know how someone can be this clueless and still function enough not to forget to do things, like you know, breath.

The very notion that an lgbtq sale offends so many people here only shows how wrong you are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom