• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Month In Gaming 5, 10, 15... Years Ago : June Edition

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
【2015】
  • Several companies had changes in personal at the higher levels this month.
    • Matias Myllyrinne, the CEO of Remedy Entertainment, had left the company for Wargaming. He is currently working on the game “Nine to Five”, a 3v3v3 team-tactics FPS which announced a closed alpha over the past few days.
    • Ready At Dawn’s CEO positions shifted hands from Ru Weerasuriya to Paul Sams. Weerasuriya is currently the acting CCO of the company.
    • Co-founder of Obisidian Entertainment, Chris Avellone, left the company. He is currently freelance and is helping as the Narrative Designer of Bloodlines 2.
gt2Eu0e.png

23Kyw1c.png

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
【2010】
6uGXb5l.png

tCa6D3K.png

【2005】
  • Not much happened in the industry outside of game releases this month, but a number of those games have stayed in gamers minds ever since. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Battlefield 2, Destroy All Humans!, and Psychonauts all released this month. Full list below
  • Games Released in June:
Zj5sq7G.png

【2000】
  • Computer Game Developers Association (CGDA) changed their names to International Game Developers Association (IGDA). The association is a non-profit whose mission statement as such: “Support and empower game developers around the world in achieving and fulfilling sustainable careers”.
  • They will be celebrating their 30th anniversary come 2024.
  • Nintendo’s original online system, the Satellaview, stopped receiving broadcasts on June 30th. The service lasted a little over 5 years in Japan and had several unique titles based on popular IPs as well as some titles never to be seen again in an official capacity.
A4bASG8.png

【1995】
  • Issue 073 of Nintendo Power released. Its cover focused on Killer Instict, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Super Turrican 2, Earthbound, Weaponlord, and the “NU 64 UNVEILED!” It had a 4 page spread about the ill-fated Virtual Boy console, a brief snippet over the “Nintendo Ultra 64” which soon became the Nintendo 64, and more! Link to an archived copy of the magazine.
    ksIJagA.png
【1990】
【1985】
  • Bug-Byte Software Ltd went defunct after a difficult trading season and a shake-out in the industry. Argus Press PLC had purchased their IPs and brand. The last few games released were Savage Pond, Star Force Seven, Tennis, The Dogboy, and Zoot.
  • The Atari Corporation released the 520ST. The ST line of computers would last 8 years until it was discontinued in 1993. It brought forth the innovation of being the first personal computer to come with a bitmapped colour GUI,[3] using a version of Digital Research's GEM released in February 1985.[4]

Source: Wikipedia, Nintendo Power, Playstation Magazine, Xbox Magazine, PCGamer, RetroGamer, and more.

This isn't a comprehensive list, but just what I could pull from the magazines I currently have and archives I can find online. If there is anything you think should be added or is missing, post below! What was your favorite gaming memory during these times?

Bolivar687

Banned
What a thread

tenor.gif

It has finally been starting to get to me about no E3. By 2015, we had already been telling ourselves every year that Sony's next year would be stacked, and I was starting to question whether we would ever get the games. This was the turning point.

It's weird looking back on that bizarre Kinect and Move E3. I definitely prefer just getting uograded consoles to generate enthusiasm mid console cycle now.

D.Final

Banned
【2015】
gt2Eu0e.png

23Kyw1c.png

Awesome
Definitely great work

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What a thread

tenor.gif

It has finally been starting to get to me about no E3. By 2015, we had already been telling ourselves every year that Sony's next year would be stacked, and I was starting to question whether we would ever get the games. This was the turning point.

It's weird looking back on that bizarre Kinect and Move E3. I definitely prefer just getting uograded consoles to generate enthusiasm mid console cycle now.

That era was a massive turning point for gaming as a whole. The Wii introduced and brought back a lot of people into gaming via its casual pick up and play nature. Kinect and Move all were attempts to capture that market as well, though over the next few years many developers and publishers would move to the mobile market. Almost all of which would end in failure for major publishers. Just looking at what Microsoft did to Rare during this time is painful to see.

Awesome
Definitely great work

Thanks. Speaking with a few gaming preservation groups to get even more info for future posts. I think it is important to look back at what gaming was to appreciate what we have now, and what we could/should have with future games.

Deus Ex, Diablo II, Earthbound - many games that are still considered to be amazing even compared to many modern games.

D.Final

Banned
That era was a massive turning point for gaming as a whole. The Wii introduced and brought back a lot of people into gaming via its casual pick up and play nature. Kinect and Move all were attempts to capture that market as well, though over the next few years many developers and publishers would move to the mobile market. Almost all of which would end in failure for major publishers. Just looking at what Microsoft did to Rare during this time is painful to see.

Thanks. Speaking with a few gaming preservation groups to get even more info for future posts. I think it is important to look back at what gaming was to appreciate what we have now, and what we could/should have with future games.

Deus Ex, Diablo II, Earthbound - many games that are still considered to be amazing even compared to many modern games.

I completely agree.
A very interesting generation.
And the work you're doing here is really great.
Keep it up.

MS E3 2010 brings back the fondest of memories

Shawnmichaelskinectimals.gif

Would love to just embed that directly but it's not on giphy and I'm too lazy to create an account.

Thanks for this thread OP, some great memories here. Diablo 2 and Earthbound are some of my all time favorite games, hard to believe they both dropped in June, one of the "dead" months.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
MS E3 2010 brings back the fondest of memories

Shawnmichaelskinectimals.gif

Would love to just embed that directly but it's not on giphy and I'm too lazy to create an account.

Thanks for this thread OP, some great memories here. Diablo 2 and Earthbound are some of my all time favorite games, hard to believe they both dropped in June, one of the "dead" months.

For future knowledge, all you have to do is click on the Insert Image (Ctrl+P) icon and paste the link. Should work! At least it does on my end when I try.

If I weren't broke as fuck I'd gift you gold. Great thread.

:messenger_heart:

Awesome thread.

I'd go back to 2005 and play BF2 on my 4:3 monitor in a heartbeat.
That game was so damn good.

Top Bottom