• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This one youtuber doesn't seem to like Mario 64 very much

Majukun

it is nowadays an extremely basic platform 3d, but moving around with mario is still a joy,at least with the original n64 controller

I haven't watched his video but to answer some people's questions - it's entirely possible to not like Mario 64. I thought it was a shit game when it was released, and I've never liked it. I've tried and tried many times, but I just don't enjoy it at all.

I guess I was just so disappointed after Super Mario World which I think is one of the best and most creative games ever created, and I didn't like the transition to 3D. I didn't like the music, the level design, the controller.. Didn't like anything. I especially didn't like the graphics, I hated the early low-polygon 3D look.

I'm not trying to take away anyone else's opinion or experience, but that's what I've always thought since day 1. I've thought about making a thread explaining my opinion in detail just to see if anyone agrees at all. So far, I don't think I've ever heard anyone who agrees with me (unless they hate all platformers or all Mario games but that's not relevant).

Last edited:
I haven't watched his video but to answer some people's questions - it's entirely possible to not like Mario 64. I thought it was a shit game when it was released, and I've never liked it. I've tried and tried many times, but I just don't enjoy it at all.

I guess I was just so disappointed after Super Mario World which I think is one of the best and most creative games ever created, and I didn't like the transition to 3D. I didn't like the music, the level design, the controller.. Didn't like anything. I especially didn't like the graphics, I hated the early low-polygon 3D look.

Opinions and all, but

you're wrong season 1 GIF by Outlander

TLZ

Banned
Give the guy a chance. He's looking at it from a 2020 pov. Whether it's aged well or not.

He's defo right about the camera. Like all the cameras from that era. They're very frustrating.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I gave Super Mario 64 for the first time in 2020 with the 3D All Stars pack... he says in the video description..

poor kid thinking mario 64 played that bad back in the day.. when you just unboxed your brand new 64.. and prolly played a 3d platformer for the first time in your life with a mint n64 controller a stick mario 64 was build around for..

then this raging retard plays it on hands down the worst fucking joystick ever made by nintendo.

just.... fuck

Last edited:
From what I gather from the comments this is a young YouTuber who’s probably never played a game that doesn’t handhold a player in what to do and requires some skill to control.

Won’t click on the video because he will get clicks/money; Mario 64, while old, has aged quite well.

He complained about the red coin at the start of the first Bowser world due to momentum, but then shows footage (presumably of him playing) of getting the other red coin across from the flamethrower where he uses the side jump to reverse direction.

Mario controls fine - his movement options are there for a reason. The only thing that is not great is the camera and that is because it is one of the first of its kind (maybe the first, although I see to recall an AKSHULY there that some other game had it first).

Bakkus

He brings up some very good points actually. I also dislike how Mario controls in this game.

I initially thought the same, but gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed that he might have some genuine (if misguided) criticisms, and gave it a watch.

He doesn't. He just sucks at the game, blames the controls, and refuses to learn.
The thing is that it takes forever to learn it to the point where controlling Mario becomes a breeze. It's still a good game if you play it safe, but really frustrating if you try to do things speedrun-esque. Also, the Bob-omb battlefield music sucks. But was amazing in Galaxy 2.

Neff

The thing is that it takes forever to learn it to the point where controlling Mario becomes a breeze.
it takes a long time to be really good, yeah. But you can be more than competent from the outset if you're willing to spend a little time figuring out how Mario works. There's a reason people still vividly recall playing SM64 for the first time, and that's because it was so appealing to simply waste time messing around in the castle garden, learning and experimenting.

It's fair to say though that players in 1996 would have had an advantage of sorts walking into SM64 blindly, when there was nothing remotely like it at that point, and were eagerly willing to learn without preconceived attitudes to design and control, as opposed to someone who has grown up playing subsequent 3D games and struggles with visiting the past.

It's a shame Nintendo never saw fit to do another 3D Mario in 64's style, with its heavy emphasis on momentum, but I can see why history has preferred control schemes with less friction since, because it's simply what the majority of players prefer.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
history changing game at the time, still holds up becuase of the feels but can totally see why someone new to it would dislike it. Games have come a long way.

sunnysideup

Banned
Mario 64 is the greatest 3D platformer ever made. Much better than the cookie cutter crap Nintendo release these days.

The controls are fucking spot on perfect.

SoraNoKuni

You know I raise my flameshield as well but I think it aged like crap, camera, and running feels like every surface is ice.

I much prefer crash bandicoot on psx, way more responsive controls.

Though Mario64 was really revolutionary in terms of full 3d platformers.

K' Dash

Let this be a lesson to you folks, this is what happens when you do drugs, drink alcohol and have a diet low on folic acid during pregnancy.

I can smell the room temperature IQ from here.

Dr. Suchong

I remember playing Mario 64 for the first time when working at Gamestation, on an imported Japanese N64 from Planet distribution iirc.
I was probably one of the first lucky few in the UK to play it.
I was even allowed to take the console home for an evening.
It really felt like the future. Definitely still holds up well today.
This kid should stick to playing Fortnite,
Filthy Casual lol

tylrdiablos

2 quick questions:
1: How do you people stumble across this shit?
2: Why do you bother watching it when you know the creator is clearly just seeking attention?
Don't bother replying, I don't care.

Excess

Zoomers gonna zoom.

Seriously, though, while M64's controls are not as solid as 3D games today, actual movement was and still is considered a skill of the game itself, unlike today where movement is mostly taken for granted.

Hestar69

I'll be honest. I love mario games but i could never get into 64.Even as a kid and even on the switch collection. super mario world best mario game IMO

Top Bottom