• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Plus-Size Influencer's Stunning Bikini Post Is the Body Positivity Inspiration You Need - Slayyyy 2.0

CyberPanda

Banned
37ff174e540f3851dd1d5456f9d2bcbb

ASOS once again proved that they're on the right side of the body positivity movement—and unsurprisingly, the internet is loving it.

On March 29, ASOS regrammed a photo from plus-size influencer Callie Thorpe’s Instagram account that showed Thorpe and fellow influencer Chastity Garner Valentine posing in matching green and white two-piece swimsuits next to a pool. The clothing line captioned the photo, “First stop: the holiday outfit wall” and tagged both bikini-clad babes and photographerJulianny Casado.

In typical internet fashion, though, some comments on the post were less than kind. ASOS has since deleted a majority of the blowback, and supportive commenters were quick to call out the trolls for their hateful remarks.

“Do people realize that overweight people still need clothes to wear?! Just because you don't like the way they look doesn't meant they cease to exist,” one commenter wrote.

“I’m glad that they found the confidence, even though they get nasty comments. This isn’t about promoting an 'unhealthy' lifestyle. It’s about promoting body confidence and body acceptance,” wrote another.

RELATED: These Influencers Are Posing in Swimsuits That Show Off Their Scars and Cellulite—and It's the Message We Need for Summer

Thorpe’s husband, Daniel Hetherington, also expressed his opinion about the criticism.

“It's disappointing to see such nasty comments on such a beautiful picture. The woman on the right is my wife and it annoys and upsets me that people can be so mean to others,” Hetheringtonwrote in a caption. “She is the most kind hearted, caring and loving person I know and someone's size should never be a topic of conversation.”

As for Thorpe? She's focusing on all the appreciative comments she's received on her photo. Thorpe responded to dozens of commenters under her Instagram photo, thanking them for their support.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/plus-size-influencer-apos-stunning-182940635.html

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Still waiting for pictures of fat dudes that tell them to feel good about themselves....

That said, celebrating obesity is retarded. Fat shaming is too. People should be encouraged to get their diets in check.

Mista

Banned
Fat shaming is as bad as celebrating obesity. It’s unhealthy and we should encourage them politely to lose weight.

Fat Shaming should be tolerated. It is an inherent, objective shame to be so fat. Pointing out things as they are should never be discouraged. Fat people are a literal burden on society on par with Chronic drug addicts. Once you reach those proportions (and levels of self-delusion) you're either going to keep it going when presented with the reality of the situation, or you're going to seek real change by changing your eating habits so people will stop treating you like the fat cunt that you are.

Some effective fat-shaming methods:

• Extra charge for public transport and air transport.
  • Ban from purchasing large meal portions at fast food outlets. Small or Medium for you fatty.
  • Not allowed to work with Children. As a fat cunt, you present a bad influence on developing young minds; danger of normalization of your obese form precludes contact with Children.
  • Extra scrutiny by Child protective services, for households where one or both of the caretakers are plumpers.
  • Criminal penalties applied on parents of highly obese toddlers and children under 12 years of age.
  • Workplace bans in most industries for the highly obese.
  • Government mandated fat gulags, You as the fatty pays for your 1-3 year fat camp incarceration by having your assets seized. Your obesity will be reformed through hard labour and a controlled diet.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
>tfw these women can't even be normal fat and just a lil plump
It's always gotta be the ones that are all stretchy and cottage cheesy

CyberPanda

Banned
Fat Shaming should be tolerated. It is an inherent, objective shame to be so fat. Pointing out things as they are should never be discouraged. Fat people are a literal burden on society on par with Chronic drug addicts. Once you reach those proportions (and levels of self-delusion) you're either going to keep it going when presented with the reality of the situation, or you're going to seek real change by changing your eating habits so people will stop treating you like the fat cunt that you are.

• Ban from purchasing large meal portions at fast food outlets. Small or Medium for you fatty.
  • Not allowed to work with Children. As a fat cunt, you present a bad influence on developing young minds; danger of normalization of your obese form precludes contact with Children.
  • Extra scrutiny by Child protective services, for households where one or both of the caretakers are plumpers.
  • Criminal penalties applied on parents of highly obese toddlers and children under 12 years of age.
  • Government mandated fat gulags, You as the fatty pays for your 1-3 year fat camp incarceration by having your assets seized. Your obesity will be reformed through hard labour and a controlled diet.
Good post.

Body positivity? Another fail by modern society
Diabetes is sexy now.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I like thick women but when your thighs look like cottage cheese you've gone too far. Plus the health implications. Bad diet is just as bad, if not worse, than smoking and we don't celebrate that so why make an exception for this, to spare people's feelings?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Fat Shaming should be tolerated.
No, it does not accomplish anything. Next to no fat person will change their diet after being shamed. That is a fact.
Government/Media should do better in promoting a healthy life style. A least with that there is slight chance that someone might rethink his or her diet.

But to be honest I think that the only way to conquer this is to make certain foods (much) more expensive. It's quite funny when you, like me, go almost vegan and realize just how stupidly more cheap unhealthy food is compared to healthy food. I mean, buying a half chicken is loads cheaper than say a vegan pizza... I didn't use to pay attention that when I was eating meat regularly. It's quite crazy. I mention this because I noticed my body needs loads more time to process meat than most other foods, hence when you eat it regularly it's doom to make you gain weight.

Last edited:
No, it does not accomplish anything. Next to no fat person will change their diet after being shamed. That is a fact.
Government/Media should do better in promoting a healthy life style. A least with that there is slight chance that someone might rethink his or her diet.

But to be honest I think that the only way to conquer this is to make certain foods (much) more expensive. It's quite funny when you, like me, go almost vegan and realize just how stupidly more cheap unhealthy food is compared to healthy food. I mean, buying a half chicken is loads cheaper than say a vegan pizza... I didn't use to pay attention that when I was eating meat regularly. It's quite crazy. I mention this because I noticed my body needs loads more time to process meat than most other foods, hence when you eat it regularly it's doom to make you gain weight.

I think you misunderstand my examples of what constitues appropriate fat shaming. I tend to see it as a set of discouragements. Think of it like an anti-smoking campaign, which are typically HIGHLY effective. The shaming regime should target the actions and the effects of being coated in fat, just as smokers lungs are coated in tar and their blood streams profuse with carcinogenic compounds. Smoking harms those around you sure, but so can being fat. Just in different ways.

Last edited:

ellie666

Neo Member
Fat Shaming should be tolerated.

100% agree. It's disgusting for me to see fat women appearing more and more in ads and popular brand's campaigns saying "OH! That's great! Ur so beautiful with those 100kg xtra weight!". I'm not about discriminating people by any reasons. but guys, would you support drug addiction saying "that's his choice, he is happy with it"? No? Then why do you promote unhealthy habits and shame people who don't like tons of fat proudly shown all around the internet, who just politely point that it's totally wrong?

They ban extremely skinny girls from modelling because of health risks (and I agree with it) but then replace them with xxxl girls
Just w h y

Diabetes is sexy now.

Screamed out loud thnx

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I mean, buying a half chicken is loads cheaper than say a vegan pizza... I didn't use to pay attention that when I was eating meat regularly.
Why is a vegan pizza healthier than a half chicken? Both contain a significant amount of fat, but the pizza also contains a lot of carbon hydrates, whereas the chicken contains a lot of protein (and if you do not eat the skin, the chicken gets drastically less fatty).

CyberPanda

Banned
Why is a vegan pizza healthier than a half chicken? Both contain a significant amount of fat, but the pizza also contains a lot of carbon hydrates, whereas the chicken contains a lot of protein (and if you do not eat the skin, the chicken gets drastically less fatty).
Well, the vegan pizza could be made without cheese, and the crust could be made out of cauliflower.

This isn't body positivity this is lack of self awareness. You can do whatever You want but at least have some decency for other human beings on the planet.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Maybe healthier was the wrong word for this comparison. Like I said, since I usually eat the same (vegan) foods all the time except for a cheat meal per week, I noticed that it takes me longest to loose the extra weight from said cheat meal when it's meat compared to anything else. Hence my conclusion is that our body needs a lot more time to process meat in general and that does make me question just how healthy meat consumption is.

Yoshi

Maybe healthier was the wrong word for this comparison. Like I said, since I usually eat the same (vegan) foods all the time except for a cheat meal per week, I noticed that it takes me longest to loose the extra weight from said cheat meal when it's meat compared to anything else. Hence my conclusion is that our body needs a lot more time to process meat in general and that does make me question just how healthy meat consumption is.
You know what else takes long to process? Fiber. And high-fiber food is considered very healthy. This is not to say meat is the best (well it is, but not the healthiest) food you can possibly eat, but just the fact that you body takes a longer while to process it is not a good indicator to that.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
You know what else takes long to process? Fiber. And high-fiber food is considered very healthy. This is not to say meat is the best (well it is, but not the healthiest) food you can possibly eat, but just the fact that you body takes a longer while to process it is not a good indicator to that.
Not really. You're mixing this up. Fiber is healthy because it's not digested/stored and not because it takes so long to process.

Good point! I think I'm going to click "like" on this post...

Or not. Yeah, this is a "sin tax" argument. No thanks. Some of us have high metabolism, or we exercise, or we eat bad food occasionally in moderation, and we don't want to pay more for it. We also don't need the government telling us how to live our lives, and deciding what is "right" and "wrong" for us, like we're children.

Not that I'm a pure libertarian, though. I still think crack and meth should be illegal, for example. But beyond things like that, the government should keep out of people's business.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Not really. You're mixing this up. Fiber is healthy because it's not digested/stored and not because it takes so long to process.
I did not say it is healthy because it takes long, but actually, it is connected, because the healthy component is stimulating activity of the digestive tract. I was merely saying that taking long to digest is not an indicator for unhealthy food. For a clearer example: Nothing is easier (and quicker) to digest than sugar. Not exactly healthy though.

Skyr

These people are miserable. They know it, we know it.

Nothing more to add.

Besides..

Jeez, you could make a tent out of those panties.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Or not. Yeah, this is a "sin tax" argument. No thanks. Some of us have high metabolism, or we exercise, or we eat bad food occasionally in moderation, and we don't want to pay more for it. We also don't need the government telling us how to live our lives, and deciding what is "right" and "wrong" for us, like we're children.

Not that I'm a pure libertarian, though. I still think crack and meth should be illegal, for example. But beyond things like that, the government should keep out of people's business.
Well, if you think about it really hard there is no other way. Either you make those foods more expensive or you stop them from being made at all.
I really doubt that cigarette campaigns with pictures and stuff did much. What caused people to stop doing it is the price. Here where I live it's almost 6 € a pack now - that's like double of what I paid in my youth.

You need to face the fact that most human beings a lazy and it takes a buttload of effort to get our of this cycle. Believe me, I know. I actually think that getting ones diet in check is one of hardest things you can do as it goes against your basic instincts.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I did not say it is healthy because it takes long, but actually, it is connected, because the healthy component is stimulating activity of the digestive tract. I was merely saying that taking long to digest is not an indicator for unhealthy food. For a clearer example: Nothing is easier (and quicker) to digest than sugar. Not exactly healthy though.
I never said that fast digested foods are healthy. I raised the question if slow digested foods are healthy. Both claims are valid.
And no, high fibre foods are certainly not slowly digested. They are only extremely filling because they aren't stored. After a high fiber meal you will most certainly shit a huge load the very next day. For meat you may encounter are similar filling effect but it will take much longer for that dump to materialize. Hope you get the picture.

I think people need to worry less about what other people think of them. Shame is like offense. It can’t be given, only taken. When you have no shame, then and only then will you know true freedom.

That being said, I’ll bet those girls eat at least one birthday cake a week. They probably drop the whole cake into a blender and then drink it. To reach that level of obesity require replacing one’s blood with Cherry Coke and having a second second breakfast. They probably get winded walking up the handicap ramp. And they must go through lady razors daily, as they are shaving legs with the surface area of an adult human. But don’t worry. I’m sure they’ll lose a lot of weight in the future due to depression, surgery, and diabetes.

tkscz

Getting this out the way before someone ats me. She's not that hot, kind of plan looking. Like a 6 out of 10. There, the sole chubby chaser of GAF has spoke .

Getting this out the way before someone ats me. She's not that hot, kind of plan looking. Like a 6 out of 10. There, the sole chubby chaser of GAF has spoke .
Oh thank god. I was worried that I was fat shaming her by finding her repulsive, but if she’s just a 6 out of 10, then whew. Crisis averted.

tkscz

Oh thank god. I was worried that I was fat shaming her by finding her repulsive, but if she’s just a 6 out of 10, then whew. Crisis averted.

Never cared for that phrase. I like fat chicks, simple as that. Fat shame all you want, it's something you don't like, I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise. Just Everytime a thread like this pops up, someone ats me to it for my opinion on the chick in question.

I like fat chicks, simple as that.
You should care about what is on the inside, and with the morbidly obese, the outside is actively killing the inside. I mean, I get it. I like girls with three boobs. Really specific fetish that doesn’t get nearly as much play as it deserves. I mean, three boobs, three hands. The math just works out. But at least my fetish only involves a slight increase of risk for breast cancer. Yours is profoundly unhealthy and can result in death and other disabilities.

Fat shaming is wrong. But celebrating obesity is just as bad, if not worse.

I can definitely agree with this.

That being said, I do think it would be interesting to see actual pictures of the most aggressive fat shamers out there. Probably have some pretty bad flaws themselves. People who already look good generally don't have to tear other people down to make themselves feel better.

mckmas8808

Banned

I hope this is a troll, because most of these things are straight bullshit! This is pure asshole-like behavior.

Last edited:

Skyr

But we shouldn't make obese people feel like crap either. No reason to joke on them at their expense to their faces.

I won't laugh at an obese person whos walking around in public or has a good time at the beach in a bathing suite.

I will absolutely laugh and joke about these two who took this picture consciously to participate in a body positivity campaign.

mckmas8808

Banned
I won't laugh at an obese person whos walking around in public or has a good time at the beach in a bathing suite.

I will absolutely laugh and joke about these two who took this picture consciously to participate in a body positivity campaign.

Now I didn't say you can't be honest about how you think they look. I do think they look crazy! It's not sexy to me at all and literally, everybody should have the ethical right to voice their opinion on their look without shame too.

tkscz

You should care about what is on the inside, and with the morbidly obese, the outside is actively killing the inside. I mean, I get it. I like girls with three boobs. Really specific fetish that doesn’t get nearly as much play as it deserves. I mean, three boobs, three hands. The math just works out. But at least my fetish only involves a slight increase of risk for breast cancer. Yours is profoundly unhealthy and can result in death and other disabilities.

Heard it before, not changed my mind them, won't now. I'm just not attracted to thinner women, and the physical plays apart of a relationship, especially at the beginning. Even then, for hook ups and one night stands, personality is moot.

Top Bottom