• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Sony handheld device patent looks familiar

Parahan

As much as I'd love Vita 2, we could use something far more elegant in post-switch era. This looks like a random Chinese Android(gaming) tablet.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Meh, even if sony makes a new handheld i wouldn't buy it, i have PSP and Vita and i really love them but Sony lost me, i don't trust them anymore, i'm on the handheld pc side now.

massoluk

Banned
555x385.jpg
Lol

sense

Sony is not gonna go head to head with Nintendo again in the handheld market when Nintendo already trounced them twice. What about the vita makes anyone think Sony is ready to jump back in?
Nintendo got trounced in the console market multiple times and they keep trying right?

Would buy.

I concur.

If this was a seperate machine capable of running full PS4 games - I'd probably buy it so the wife can watch her shit while I play. The VITA never seems to work for me.

If this is some sort of gimmick for PS5 - I'm all for it too.

Part of me thinks they are just patenting it because the Switch is out soon and they are hedging their bets just in case it's a huge success.

Oregano

You guys know that if Sony comes out with a new handheld it's not going to be a PS4 portable. That's not feasible with current technology, especially the architecture they went with for PS4.

This looks like a old Nintendo design hardware (Ugly AF) and the Switch looks like a Sony modern design hardware.... Humm, Cant wait to see the Microsoft version (If The Switch is a success)

Hoo-doo

Banned
Obviously Sony has a concept like this just simmering somewhere, with a very modest budget going to R&D.
In the off chance that the Nintendo Switch actually blows up and becomes hugely popular, Sony is going to enter that market as well.

Obviously Sony has a concept like this just simmering somewhere, with a very modest budget going to R&D.
In the off chance that the Nintendo Switch actually blows up and becomes hugely popular, Sony is going to enter that market as well.

Exactly my theory too.

It's perfect business sense. Low cost (just-in case) measures.

massucci

Banned
I said this before and no one paid attention.
It's like everyone has short memories lol
To be fair, sort of kinect and wiimote tech (ended in the eyetoy) have been patented by sony in the ps2 era but no one paid attention and accuse Sony to copy both years later.

True Fire

Sony is not gonna go head to head with Nintendo again in the handheld market when Nintendo already trounced them twice. What about the vita makes anyone think Sony is ready to jump back in?

I'm guessing it would be a PS4 Portable. It would have access to PS4P "enhanced" games, and probably PS4's entire indie catalog with zero concessions. That would be an interesting move on Sony's part.

I mean, Sony shamelessly ripped off the Wii. Remember that shitty E3 when they tried to appeal to casual audiences? I still have nightmares about Wonderbook.

You guys know that if Sony comes out with a new handheld it's not going to be a PS4 portable. That's not feasible with current technology, especially the architecture they went with for PS4.

Sony already set the precedent for games running at different settings for different hardware. Who says they can't make games run worse to run on a portable?

They also have PlayStation Now and Remote Play technology. Remote Play is almost seamless, and with a few upgrades (and PS4 games) PlayStation Now could be a killer app for this sort of hardware.

A Sony mole infiltrated Nintendo while they were toying around with the idea of Switch and came back with this patent 👀👀👀

Love my Vita, but I'm gonna buy a Switch as soon as it hits a decent price point.
If Sony wants to make a Vita 2 they should not wait too long to announce, cause I won't buy two handhelds!!1

jobrro

I wish we could get a Vita Pro. Vita with a 2017 SoC and R2 and L2 buttons. Everything else can stay the same.

Maybe the Switch will fill that void but Nintendo going to Nintendo so I am not confident in that.

Interesting how similar the concepts are here though.

Nikodemos

The only way Sony could make a splash in the handheld space, now that Switch is almost upon us, is to go extreme bottom feeder with a cheap low-end indie/pervy-animu machine. Something powered by either the Qualcomm 650 series or the Rockchip RK3399, coming in at just a bit over half of what Nintendo are demanding.

Oregano

Sony already set the precedent for games running at different settings for different hardware. Who says they can't make games run worse to run on a portable?

They also have PlayStation Now and Remote Play technology. Remote Play is almost seamless, and with a few upgrades (and PS4 games) PlayStation Now could be a killer app for this sort of hardware.

Because those games use an 8-core Jaguar CPU regardless and you can't use that configuration in even a tablet that size.

Plus even from a GPU perspective the difference between Switch portable and Switch docked is 2.5. That's largely to go from 720p to 1080p.

If you divide the 1.8TFlops of the PS4 by 2.5 you get 720GFlops which is almost twice as powerful as the Switch is when docked. There's no battery powered GPU that powerful.

Love my Vita, but I'm gonna buy a Switch as soon as it hits a decent price point.
If Sony wants to make a Vita 2 they should not wait too long to announce, cause I won't buy two handhelds!!1

You say that but you are about to buy a switch having already owned a Vita so you will buy two handhelds :)

Just face it. They already control your every move!

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'd kill for a Vita 2, that's for sure.

Hands down my favorite handheld of all time. I also love my 3DS, but I need a Vita successor!

wildfire

Banned
To be fair, sort of kinect and wiimote tech (ended in the eyetoy) have been patented by sony in the ps2 era but no one paid attention and accuse Sony to copy both years later.

You said it yourself. Years later. Sony has a lack of confidence in certain ideas so they won't do it until someone else proves it might be successful. On that score they deserve the label of being a copycat, better than an "afraidy" cat.

wildfire

Banned
Because those games use an 8-core Jaguar CPU regardless and you can't use that configuration in even a tablet that size.

Plus even from a GPU perspective the difference between Switch portable and Switch docked is 2.5. That's largely to go from 720p to 1080p.

If you divide the 1.8TFlops of the PS4 by 2.5 you get 720GFlops which is almost twice as powerful as the Switch is when docked. There's no battery powered GPU that powerful.

What? No. That's Undocked.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I want an Xperia Play 2. Would actually work perfectly with the detatchable controllers concept. If Sony ever wants to give a PlayStation Phone concept a real go, that's the way to do it.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
...I like the name PlayStation Shift.

Also, being a copycat ain't too bad if the result is good. If the Switch turns out to be awesome, and more console manufacturers follow suit, I can't say I'd be upset about it.

Demon's Souls was great, and from that we got Dark Souls, Bloddborne, and Nioh, to name only a few quality Soulslike games. I can't complain about it, personally.

I'm not terribly interested in a hybrid console/handheld, but I always want competition among the console manufacturers. I don't want them getting all comfortable and complacent.

This patent looks like a tablet hybrid of sorts. Just give me a Vita 2 already, Sony!!

OCD Guy

Not surprised, I could see Sony jumping in again if the Switch looks remotely successful.

I'll buy it again provided it's not full of b teams making their own versions of AAA games.

If it was a ps4 in portable form, able to run all my digital purchases I'd jump in right away.

Yes I'm aware PS4 in portable form just isn't feasible at this point, but this thing isn't going to release this year is it? In 18 months who's to say we can't have equivalent spec, with reasonable battery life.

sinonobu

Banned
I heard this patent is not for new console but rather for a controller....
It might be just stuff you put on smart phone for remote play,
or just vita go with only remote play functionality.

Top Bottom