• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is a lie :\ (was: next Team ICO-Game!?)

eve241

SolidSnakex said:
I don't get this at all. The lack of hype for ICO was due to no one knowing who was behind it or how good it was going to be. The hype for SoTC was based largely on how good ICO is. Without ICO, SoTC never would've got the type of hype it did. It's the game that showed people just how good Team ICO is.

Well Sotc was heavily marketed when comparing with Ico.Hype isn't a phenomenon you can only see before a game's release date.It's peak is when the first guys play it and then tell their friends how awesome it is.You know, like the numerous Bioshock threads here at NeoGAF after the demo was released.

LaneDS

SolidSnakex said:
I don't get this at all. The lack of hype for ICO was due to no one knowing who was behind it or how good it was going to be. The hype for SoTC was based largely on how good ICO is. Without ICO, SoTC never would've got the type of hype it did. It's the game that showed people just how good Team ICO is.

This is the truth. And ICO was plenty praised, it just didn't sell well. I blame the U.S. box art for this 593%.

eve241

Madman said:
What motivation would anyone today have for hyping the game? And how would it be a Sony fanboy's agenda to praise one game but not praise another (which ICO has recieved plenty of)? Especially when they are both first party exclusives. SotC may be more popular than ICO, but you admitted yourself that you thought SotC was better.

I'm really confused as to how praising SotC over ICO(which I have seen go both ways here at GAF) is a part of a fanboy agenda. They're both exclusives to the same system! :lol

Because ultimately Sotc was more approachable by the mainstream audience regardless of what you think is the best game.The marketing campaign behind Sotc helped spur a lot of interest.It's always easier to hype a game when you got ads and such.Just look at Halo 3.It's almost ridiculous.

PS:Oh and I don't mean praising Sotc over Ico is a fanboy agenda.I believe praising Sotc to the point of saturation (a holy cow) is a fanboy agenda.

Endow said:
Well Sotc was heavily marketed when comparing with Ico.Hype isn't a phenomenon you can only see before a game's release date.It's peak is when the first guys play it and then tell their friends how awesome it is.You know, like the numerous Bioshock threads here at NeoGAF after the demo was released.

That's because Sony underestimated how much they could market ICO. They learned their mistake with ICO and made up for it by putting a bigger campaign behind SoTC which is a good thing because it sold a lot better. Another thing to remember is that it basically came out in the PS2's wave of late 01 when MGS2, GTA3, FFX ect. were all coming out. It just got lost in the mix as it was some small game from a developer no one had heard of.

Steroyd

Endow said:
The difference between the hype for Ico and Sotc was enormous.Even though I preferred Sotc myself when you have two somewhat similar games in terms of feel it seems artificial for only one of them to be praised.So yeah, I definately think part of it is related to the Sony fanboys' agenda.

It took me 4 years to find out how awesome ICO was I had to spend fucking £45 from ebay and it only came to my attention because of the Sotc hype.

'Sequels' always gets more hype than the original.

Top Bottom