• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's cruisin' Japanese mag news (17 Oct~)

Cedille

On a horrifying note, FFTA JP version was much worse than one for US/EU. There were bans on attacking a specific race, or damage/recovery higher than 100. I can't believe FFT got a 8899 score by Famitsu..., but I can as far as US/EU version goes. US/EU version was simply a fine game, for me.

Kyoufu

ethelred said:
Actually, the new White Knight Story is basically killing off my interest. It's that one word that does it -- "MMOlike." I don't enjoy MMOs. Why would I enjoy something like MMOs? If I wanted to play an MMO, I would, but they're not at all fun.

MMOs are not usually very fun because:

battle systems are bland
storyline/plot is meaningless/non-existent
just a time-sink grind-fest

I'm pretty sure WKC has none of the above. I think the reason why they put in the words "MMO-like" is because it has a mission/quest structure which I'm sure you can do with friends online as well as offline. I have high hopes for this game and am not put off in the slightest.

TreIII

PepsimanVsJoe said:
SB2 Heroes

Not really much to say. I'm hoping the multiplayer mode actually means a real coop campaign style mode and not just lame challenge or VS modes. Still hoping for a US release for the Wii version.

Previous scans have already shown that you can have co-op through stages. Whether or not this translates to full-scale campaign co-op and "Conquer" modes,, or merely just for Free Mode, hasn't been disclosed. But I think it's pretty safe to assume that they've heard the many, many, many wantons for multiplayer in BASARA, and Capcom has finally granted us this request.

There is this one mission with Nobunaga where he faces off against Nagamasa Azai and Oichi. Nobunaga tends to laugh often throughout his story mode and for some odd reason him, Azai, and Oichi are just laughing like crazy for parts of the battle. I had no idea what the hell was going on.

That would be due primarily to the fact that:

a) For Oichi, Nobunaga is her big brother. Obviously, in the BASARA-verse, when you come from the same family that produced a megalomaniac, demonic-powered conqueror like Nobunaga, obviously you gotta have some things wrong with you too. Oichi also doesn't like her brother all that much either. But nevertheless, it may be all she can do but to give into the same type of madness that Nobunaga has, it least, in the thick of battle...

b) For Nagamasa, he's so obsessed with the idea of enforcing his ideals of justice, that he's probably a bit kooky too. Kill Oichi, and you'll basically have a "straw that broke the camel's back" type of moment, and he'll just get all the more insane.

I look forward to seeing what those two have to offer for story modes in HEROES. Even moreso, I look forward to how the new version of "Daibutokai" (100-level challenge) will allow you to take two characters in, and tag between them as needed. That should DEFINITELY make the whole process of getting those damn 8th weapons go by at least SOMEWHAT smoother...

ethelred

sp0rsk said:
Soul Calibur is about as popular as ranch dressing here.

It's not quite that bad, but... yeah, there's no mistaking which series is more popular.

Code:
Soul Edge		PSX  	419,965
Soul Calibur		DC 	288,604
Soul Calibur II 	MULT 	276,019 
Soul Calibur III 	PS2 	134,868 

Phantasia Remake	PSX 	631,904 
Destiny		 	PSX 	895,177 
Eternia			PSX 	669,248
Destiny 2		PS2 	762,861 
Symphonia		MULT 	764,964 
Rebirth			PS2 	596,493
Legendia		PS2 	343,332
Abyss			PS2 	556,465

Kyoufu said:
I think the reason why they put in the words "MMO-like" is because it has a mission/quest structure which I'm sure you can do with friends online as well as offline. I have high hopes for this game and am not put off in the slightest.

I hate MMOs. If someone describes something as MMO-like, that's a big huge buzzkill for me.

Jiggy

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I'm saying that if Mithos was in Soul Calibur Legends, I'd have to buy it.
But Lloyd's the only Tales of Symphonia character and I don't care about him, so I can save my $50. :D

WORLDWIDEWII said:
i am happy until i see a new character:D

I'm curious who they'll pick next.

Personally I'd like to see Deng Ai and Zhong Hui, or maybe Yu Jin(he served Cao Cao for over 30 years I mean come on already!) Li Jue and Guo Si would be nice(though you can't have one without the other). Yuan Shu would be nice as well, or maybe Liu Baio. Sima Yan would also make a neat addition, though he'd be more of a free mode character since as the story goes he took control of the Wei kingdom and brought an end to the Cao Wei dynasty. Sima Yan then changed the ruling name to Jin with both the Shu and Wei territorities under his control. After taking over Wu about 15 years later he thus brought the end to the Three Kingdoms era.

TreIII said:
That would be due primarily to the fact that:

a) For Oichi, Nobunaga is her big brother. Obviously, in the BASARA-verse, when you come from the same family that produced a megalomaniac, demonic-powered conqueror like Nobunaga, obviously you gotta have some things wrong with you too. Oichi also doesn't like her brother all that much either. But nevertheless, it may be all she can do but to give into the same type of madness that Nobunaga has, it least, in the thick of battle...

b) For Nagamasa, he's so obsessed with the idea of enforcing his ideals of justice, that he's probably a bit kooky too. Kill Oichi, and you'll basically have a "straw that broke the camel's back" type of moment, and he'll just get all the more insane.

Ah that makes sense. I was thinking of Sengoku Musou and remembered Oichi as mostly just depressed and whiny, Nobunaga more evil than crazy, and Azai...well he was just a ponce. Then I remembered in Basara Hideyoshi is a Gorilla of a man, Kenshin Uesugi is almost as cute as girlfriend, and well everything is either upside down or sideways.

If Omega Force and Capcom could get together and make Basara Vs Musou(with options to choose which gameplay style you wanted) it'd probably be the most incredible game of eternity.

Aeana

ethelred said:
I hate MMOs. If someone describes something as MMO-like, that's a big huge buzzkill for me.

Didn't you like FF12? People were throwing around "MMO-like" about that for a while, and still do (though it's not something I agree with at all).

Crushed

Fry Daddy
turk128 said:
Mayonnaise. lots of it and in an infinite amount of flavors.
That's how they live!? On the worst food in the history of mankind!?

Dear God. The Japanese are like anti-humans or something. The opposite of lifeforms.

TreIII

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Ah that makes sense. I was thinking of Sengoku Musou and remembered Oichi as mostly just depressed and whiny, Nobunaga more evil than crazy, and Azai...well he was just a ponce. Then I remembered in Basara Hideyoshi is a Gorilla of a man, Kenshin Uesugi is almost as cute as girlfriend, and well everything is either upside down or sideways.

Hence, the "BASARA" part of the title.

BASARA, in of it self, can just be translated as relating to "bizarre, craziness, over-the-top". Such a thing is only fitting for what the game series represents.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Aeana said:
Didn't you like FF12? People were throwing around "MMO-like" about that for a while, and still do (though it's not something I agree with at all).
Well that's not surprising since WKC seems to be building upon the gameplay from RG and FFXII, so this probably has MMO-styled missions just like those games. I have to admit though I was kinda underwhelmed when I figured that out, I thought after seeing the first video that the circle was more than your recharge bar redone to let you time your combos.

Kusagari said:
People actually LIKE Lloyd? I assumed everyone hated him.

Well he's a better character than the rest of Symphonia's cast. Not saying much but it's...something.

TreIII said:

BASARA, in of it self, can just be translated as relating to "bizarre, craziness, over-the-top". Such a thing is only fitting for what the game series represents.

As always if I only bothered to learn Japanese I could stop pulling things from my ass all the time.

Thanks.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Hmm... Lloyd in SCL changes the game from "probably ask for it for xmas" to "gotta scrap together the change to buy my xmas gifts and still get this game on launch day". :)

<3 TOS + <3 Soul Calibur = :D

That's how they live!? On the worst food in the history of mankind!?

Dear God. The Japanese are like anti-humans or something. The opposite of lifeforms.

You think that's bad? They don't have Alfredo sauce in the UK. They don't even know what it is. I damned near killed myself when I was living there.

ethelred

Aeana said:

FFXII is kind of a special case, though. I expected to not like the gameplay -- based on the frequent usage of the word MMOlike (which, I agree, was a very poor descriptor) and based on what I experienced in the unfinished demos that were put together (the DQVIII and the E3 demos).

I ended up liking the final product, when I think all the different elements came together very well... but I have to admit that I'm not sure if I would've tried it if it hadn't been Final Fantasy and/or a Matsuno game. Comparisons to MMOs (especially given the heavy online element of WKS, and the fact that it seems like they're incorporating a lot of stuff from their canned MMO True Fantasy Live Online) still get me a bit wary, though.

Vyse The Legend said:
You think that's bad? They don't have Alfredo sauce in the UK. They don't even know what it is. I damned near killed myself when I was living there.

How can you live in a country so close to Italy and not have Alfredo sauce?

Bebpo said:
But unlike Link, Lloyd was a horrible character. Who the hell wants him in other games? He's probably the worst Tales lead I can think of.

Well Lloyd does fight with two swords. Most of the Tales leads only fight with one.

2 > 1 after all....

Bebpo

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Seems like Namco has found their Link. Stick Lloyd in a game and everyone will buy it.

But unlike Link, Lloyd was a horrible character. Who the hell wants him in other games? He's probably the worst Tales lead I can think of.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Vyse The Legend said:
OMGMaskSeller.gif

STOP TALKING THESE HORRIBLE PLACES DON'T EXIST LALALALA

Cedille

(poorly translated) FFT A2 impression
- Filled with contents to play.
- Alternation of the law system is quite right
- Quests have a wide variety
- It's just glad many jobs and abilities are added.
- Some maps lack visibility (of either units or their positions)
- Story development is flat and may be unsatisfying to some.
- Enjoyment mainly comes from customizing characters
- Camera change would be great if possible since it gets messy with many units side by side.

jj984jj

ethelred said:
FFXII is kind of a special case, though. I expected to not like the gameplay -- based on the frequent usage of the word MMOlike (which, I agree, was a very poor descriptor) and based on what I experienced in the unfinished demos that were put together. I ended up liking the final product, when I think all the different elements came together very well... but I have to admit that I'm not sure if I would've tried it if it hadn't been Final Fantasy and/or a Matsuno game.

Comparisons to MMOs (especially given the heavy online element of WKS, and the fact that it seems like they're incorporating a lot of stuff from their canned MMO True Fantasy Live Online) still get me a bit wary, though.
Yeah I see what you mean, FFXII was still for all incentive purposes a single player game, while the plot wasn't the best part of the game I still found it more entertaining than anything Level 5 has written. WKC doesn't seem to have an overworld to explore either, it's just a map I believe, and when you select a mission I guess you just click on the right location to complete the mission.

Kyoufu

FateBreaker said:
How about it was the worst pile of doodoo stamped as an FF story ever?

*still bitter*

It has the weakest story out of all FFs that I've played during the Playstation era, but by no means is it terrible. It just feels unfinished and really cliche. One thing I really like about it is the whole Ivalice betrayal fetish people have in that world. Love it.

jj984jj

TheChaos said:
So the story's going to be on the same level as FFTA? Fabulous.
I could've told you that in May.
Can you tell us a little about the story? Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was criticized by some as being light on plot, have there been any efforts to beef up the story?

Murasawa Because of the light-hearted features of the previous game, we decided to keep the same sort of mood. Our goal this time is to keep things light, at least that is what we're aiming for.

The original Tactics Advance taught the tactics strategy gameplay at the beginning using snowball fights. How is that going to be applied in the sequel? Is there going to be a similar training session that's more light-hearted? How are you going to train people in the DS version?

Murasawa Because this title was developed on the DS, and that has expanded the users into broader audience. So, we have added a lot of tutorials to make it easy for newcomers to understand. However, in this title we don't have a snowball fight. Instead the main character is transported to Ivalice where he is confronted by a large bird that he must fight. That, in a way, is our substitute for the snowball fight.
Actually I did make a topic about it. :lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Bebpo said:

I sure know that I don't. But apparently he is quite popular somehow. I mean just look at all the people in this thread who are suddenly buying the game now.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
TreIII said:

Yeah, but none of these characterizations are that wacky. There is a pretty strong rumor that Uesugi Kenshin was actually a woman. Hideyoshi's nickname was "monkey". And Date Masamune did run around with 6 swords yelling out catch phrases in english.

The last part wasn't true, but the first two are!

Sagitario

Jonnyram said:
Looks like no all-new games as such, but there is info on other stuff:
Soul Calibur Legends
Wii / BanNam / 13 Dec
- Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia is in the game

I never thought I'd be one of those persons... but... sold... :(

Avrum

SatelliteOfLove said:
"SWORD RAIN! RAINING TIGER BLADE!!!" "VICTORY STRENGTHENS THE SOUL OF...LLOYD..."

This should be good. :lol

C'mon, you know they'll insert a Dwarven Vow in there somewhere. :lol

TreIII

sp0rsk said:
Yeah, but none of these characterizations are that wacky. There is a pretty strong rumor that Uesugi Kenshin was actually a woman. Hideyoshi's nickname was "monkey". And Date Masamune did run around with 6 swords yelling out catch phrases in english.

The last part wasn't true, but the first two are!

But Capcom really DID took things to an over-the-top extreme for BASARA.

For instance, last I checked, Hideyoshi was really supposed to be a fairly thin, monkey-like guy, not a friggin' SILVERBACK GORILLA, who looked like he took lessons from Hokuto no Ken's Raoh on how to be "Large and in Charge".

And Kenshin's thing about being a possible woman is still very ambiguous, at best. Furthermore, Kenshin is definitely a guy in the BASARA-verse, he's just a pretty boy with some nice ice/sword skills and shares the same voice actor as Hitsugaya from Bleach (who also happens to have ice powers with swordsmanship talents, no less!).

And, awesome as he may have been in real life, I doubt Honda Tadakatsu was a friggin' 1/30th scale Gundam, that Noh-Hime could give Dante a run for his money in the way of being a gunslinger, and that Matsu, Maeda Toshii's boo, had the power to basically do a pretty Sailor Moon-style henshin in order to power up and kick ass.

That's not to say that any of these characterizations are bad, I frankly love BASARA for these over-the-top shenanigans that just go over well with the presentation that just gives off a classical Capcom-arcade experience. But, let's just be "real" about this. BASARA is eccentric when it comes to character depictions.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
If they were going to put someone from Tales of Symphonia in, it should have been Yuan, Mithos, or Kratos.

And wtf @ Lloyd's new design o_O

Top Bottom