• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's Famitsu 12-8-09 (ETRIAN ODYSSEY 3... plus FFXIII score)

mclem

botticus said:
The only downside of EO3 is that Atlus USA will be unlikely to top the PR for EO2.

I dunno. I'm envisioning a lengthy discussion about how the solo careers of HEAL and FIGHT just didn't catch on, building up to an announcement of their triumphant reunion tour.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I'd like to be interested in EO3 but after three games that just get to a point where it is beyond easy to give up and go onto something else, I just don't know if I can take the games anymore. There is just too much stuff in them.

ReyBrujo

mclem said:
I dunno. I'm envisioning a lengthy discussion about how the solo careers of HEAL and FIGHT just didn't catch on, building up to an announcement of their triumphant reunion tour.
I think they will be able to top it with pirates and ninjas in the same game.

ReyBrujo

Why does the EO3 scan say 1ー5人? Are they talking about the playable characters? Or...? And isn't price a bit too high for a EO game? EO2 was around USD 10 cheaper.

Ondore

I guess Kowazu should've beaten up some executives for the last bit of GP instead of the janitors.

hamchan said:
39/40 like everyone guessed.
Famitsu is getting predictable.

I had it slated for 40 again, especially after NSMB:Wii.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Ondore said:

I had it slated for 42 after its 10th 15 page blowout in a row :lol

Wooooo EO3!
Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Sekaiju no Meikyuu III: Hoshimi no Raihousha (Etrian Odyssey III: Caller of the Starry Seas [lit])
- New Classes: Prince/Princess, Phalanx, Monk, Shinobi, Pirate
- Oceanic Quests, fight enemies on the ocean, new mapping system for the ocean
- March? 2010 in Japan
Phalanx? Isn't that like an a group of soldiers? How the hell's that supposed to work as a character class

ReyBrujo

nincompoop said:
Wooooo EO3!

Phalanx? Isn't that like an a group of soldiers? How the hell's that supposed to work as a character class
The more phalanxes in a row, the strongest they become? I would really like that. By the way, I ask again what does the 1ー5人 means in the infobox: multiplaying, saving slots or something else? Can't read from the scans I found around :-(

Onesimos

After quoting a translation of the Final Fantasy XII review:

10: "Although the game is linear until the midway point, the story is substantial, like no FF before it, with its own distinctive appeal. The battles based around changing characters' roles is radical, and highly strategic. The tempo is speedy and you get very excited when fighting strong enemies. Being able to restart battles is a user-friendly feature I'm happy about.

9: "Unquestionably the highest echelon of event and movie scenes. Moreover, changing Optimas on a dime, the varied abilities and being able to use multiple magics at once bring real exhilaration to the battles. That high quality is unfortunately offset by a story that stays linear until the midway point. The lack of gimmicks during the middle of the game also worried me."

10: "The overwhelming graphics expressing every nook and cranny of this unique world, along with the praiseworthy direction, moved me!! The battle system is applicable both to beginners and micro-managers. They progress quickly, and have ratings, so you never grow tired and can always fight with a feeling of urgency. The melancholic story is also so dramatic, you can't tear your eyes away from it."

10: "I doff my hat to the overwhelming graphics and story. Since the game's various systems become denser as the story progresses, you find yourself pulled ever deeper into the experience. The summon battles take careful planning and strategy, so I was frustrated a few times, but the feeling of achievement when you win is something special. You'll be sorry if you don't play this!"

Since we know the translations of the reviews, what are the names of the reviewers (the scan cut-off their names)?

I seem to notice that the second reviewer (the man wearing a yellow jacket) who gave the game 9/10 also gave Need for Speed Nitro a 6/10. He may be a tough reviewer, but we do not know as we do not even identify the reviewers, only their scores.

Wellscha

Surgeon Rocket said:
Famitsu just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after reading about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIII for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Famitsu has alienated an entire market with this move.

Famitsu, publicly apologize and give FFXIII a 40/40 for PS3 and 39/40 for 360 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

And you'd think the public would care?

thats some 'expert' opinion.

Brofist

Ondore said:
I guess Kowazu should've beaten up some executives for the last bit of GP instead of the janitors.

Nah it was obvious they weren't going give it a 40. Some Japanese blogs and gaming sites have made a point of mentioning the high amount of perfect scores from Famitsu after the NSMB review, so giving a 39 is the next best thing while maintaining "integrity".

ReyBrujo said:
The more phalanxes in a row, the strongest they become? I would really like that. By the way, I ask again what does the 1ー5人 means in the infobox: multiplaying, saving slots or something else? Can't read from the scans I found around :-(
It would mean five players, but in the scans I saw it was too blurry to even make out that text.

lupinko

kpop100 said:
And watch it be the same game anyway. What have they changed from 1-3?

Well for starters in 3, half of the game takes place in Okinawa, and other new things like chase battle and the cabaret girl coach quests.

Wellscha

SabinFigaro said:
I still need to start the second one!

:lol

Another victim.

BlazingDarkness said:
Wellscha
(Today, 03:50 AM)

because a multi million seller franchise wont sell now that it didnt get a perfect score. really?

Junior doesn't know shit!

NeoZylom

Am I the only one who think those checks/money/famitsu jokes are getting odd?

Jokes are supposed to be funny, but they aren't since GAFFERS say them in EVERY famitsu thread.

Wellscha said:
because a multi million seller franchise wont sell now that it didnt get a perfect score. really?

1.jpg

:lol

NichM

Banned
Wellscha said:

He means that, because you are a junior member, you do not recognize that the post you quoted is a parody of an old GAF meme and not to be taken seriously.

neo2046

- DS Last Window scans are out
- LOL at special Hatsune Miku‎ & Idol Master costumes in Tales of Graces :lol

ReyBrujo

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
It would mean five players, but in the scans I saw it was too blurry to even make out that text.
Here I am hoping... no local multiplaying because I don't have anyone else around interested in these games... no history multiplaying I guess... but I would be content with extra quests with other players (even if it is just a Phantom Hourglass-type multiplaying).

EXGN

Wellscha said:

Look, I'm gonna be really nice. At E3 2008, when FF13 went multiplatform, someone posted this.

It's since become a GAF meme whenever someone does something stupid.

Quixzlizx

ReyBrujo said:
(Edited: Pirates and ninjas in the same team, what can top that?)

Nothing.

nincompoop said:

<history nerd>You're correct. A phalanx is made up of individual hoplites.</nerd>

So um, EOIII has five-player local wireless. No online, though.

EDIT: Also, Shigeo Komori is the director of EOIII, same as EOII, and scenario writer for EOI. Character and sound design are still Himukai and Koshiro, and I'm assuming the same for most other key players.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
RevenantKioku said:
A 39/40 from Famitsu actually makes me more excited for FF13 than a 40/40 would have.
Yeah it makes it slightly better then FFXII somewhat.:lol

ReyBrujo

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
So um, EOIII has five-player local wireless. No online, though.

EDIT: Also, Shigeo Komori is the director of EOIII, same as EOII, and scenario writer for EOI. Character and sound design are still Himukai and Koshiro, and I'm assuming the same for most other key players.
Well, that may explain why the game is more expensive than the previous one. Will have to buy a second copy once I get a DSi XL. It is nice they are spreading the reach of EO, even if it is only local multiplaying for now.

FOE! FOE! FOE! FOE! FOE!

Thanks again, Cosmo Clock 21, now I can rest for the night (after spreading the good news to a few sites ^_^)!

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Fuck, I havent even finished EO1, I have EO2 sitting unplayed. Yet i will feel compelled to buy 3 :(

Would be awesome if the US release of EO3 they could toss in Wifi multi. No one uses local. Devs need to get with the times.

Takuhi

Cosmo Clock 21 said:

Looks like it's only multiplayer in the "Oceanic Quest" mode, in which apparently each party has their own ship and all five players explore the same ocean together.

Hopefully it's just a throwaway mode, because that will never happen in the US without Wi-Fi support...

Feep said:
Not sure if this is better or worse than a 40.

I'm pretty sure that the interviews with various members of the Famitsu editorial team has shown that 39 is the score they give hyped games to appease fans/publishers. It used to be 36/38 (can't remember it's been a while since I read the articles) but people thought that was too low or something. Which means this score means exactly nothing, sadly.

The meaningfulness of a 40 is more debatable, but to the editorial team it tends to mean they think it deserves praise, what you think of their judgement is another thing entirely.

edit: EO3!

FFXIII is not worth getting anymore :( :(
the overreacting to the scores are baffling

EO III?? i just couldn't get into the second one, sorry ill pass.

anything else??

Brofist

lupinko said:
Well for starters in 3, half of the game takes place in Okinawa, and other new things like chase battle and the cabaret girl coach quests.
So basically nothing except for a new locale. I've played through 3 btw so I know what it's about.

I do admit I liked some of the Okinawa scenery in the game since I've been there a handful of times.

Top Bottom