• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's Famitsu 12-8-09 (ETRIAN ODYSSEY 3... plus FFXIII score)

rykomatsu

uhm....wow @ AT3's purge "function"...

i'm having second thoughts about getting this game...

who am i kidding lol...

MechaX

duckroll said:
Who said they're jokes?

They're jokes firmly rooted in reality. They're the best kind of jokes.

Low-Paid Famitsu Reviewer said:
9: "Unquestionably the highest echelon of event and movie scenes. Moreover, changing Optimas on a dime, the varied abilities and being able to use multiple magics at once bring real exhilaration to the battles. That high quality is unfortunately offset by a story that stays linear until the midway point. The lack of gimmicks during the middle of the game also worried me."

Wait.. linearity is bad? Wait again, gimmicks are considered good over in Famitsu? That's quite a contrast to the more... negative connotation of the word "gimmick" in the overseas reviews.

MechaX said:

Wait.. linearity is bad? Wait again, gimmicks are considered good over in Famitsu? That's quite a contrast to the more... negative connotation of the word "gimmick" in the overseas reviews.

i think this reference is to mini games and optional quirky stuff you can do outside of the main story

Yaweee

Wow, EO3 caught me off guard. I had completely written it off as a near possibility due to SJ's release, but is this not by LANCARSE (probably sic)? Either way I'm excited.

Still need to finish EO1. I bought it after two and it's honestly quite a downgrade (except in music and character art) During the first stratum money seems way harder to accumulate than it did in 2, even with Scavenge. I'll finish it eventually, though.

Really, I don't see how somebody could like EO1 and dislike EO2. I can understand perhaps a slight preference for the first, but anything more than that just makes no damn sense to me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Something about Monster Hunter seems to have popped up.

I can't tell if it's about a new game or something like an audio CD though.

Nirolak said:
Something about Monster Hunter seems to have popped up.

I can't tell if it's about a new game or something like an audio CD though.
If that were the case, the new game's title would be listed in the index. However, I can only find Tri listed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Cosmo Clock 21 said:
If that were the case, the new game's title would be listed in the index. However, I can only find Tri listed.
It looks like... an advertisement or vague teaser for something, as opposed to an actual game page.

They show up sometimes, but not in the index since there's usually no concrete information from them.

jman2050

rykomatsu said:

who am i kidding lol...

Oh my god it's somehow worse than I imagined it would be.

...do I really want to buy this? :lol

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Need more news....
MechaX said:

Of course!
Man I hate linear RPGs, but that's pretty much the way they are now.

And "gimmick" means something else in context I'm sure.

Yaweee said:
Wow, EO3 caught me off guard. I had completely written it off as a near possibility due to SJ's release, but is this not by LANCARSE (probably sic)? Either way I'm excited.

Still need to finish EO1. I bought it after two and it's honestly quite a downgrade (except in music and character art) During the first stratum money seems way harder to accumulate than it did in 2, even with Scavenge. I'll finish it eventually, though.

Really, I don't see how somebody could like EO1 and dislike EO2. I can understand perhaps a slight preference for the first, but anything more than that just makes no damn sense to me.

I'm in the exact same situation as you are. Been hacking away at a file in 1 for what seems like eons now, I guess this is the wake up call to finish it.

Also, what happened your avatar? :(

Etrian Odyssey 3, all I can say is about fuckin' time! I hope Atlus has as wicked fast a turn around for EO3 as they do SMT: Strange Journey.

Shouta

rykomatsu said:

who am i kidding lol...

Uh oh, and I already pre-ordered the game. I may have to cancel!

Yaweee

The scans look good. There's a giant tree and all on one island, but how is the game structured? Is there still one "main" island and dungeon, or is the game structured differently in having several dungeons?

Freyjadour said:
I'm in the exact same situation as you are. Been hacking away at a file in 1 for what seems like eons now, I guess this is the wake up call to finish it.

Also, what happened your avatar? :(

What, you liked my old avatar? In the "What does my avatar say about me?" thread, waaaaaaaaay too many people brought up bestiality or furries. So now it's a rock. Try sexualizing that, assholes.

More ETRIAN! *pounds desk* MORE ETRIAN! *pounds harder* MORE! BRING ME MORE!!! *POUND POUND POUND*

Waiting patiently for info on Yuzo "The Fucking Man" Koshiro's name and the dude who did the art for the last two being attached.

Yaweee said:
The scans look good. There's a giant tree and all on one island, but how is the game structured? Is there still one "main" island and dungeon, or is the game structured differently in having several dungeons?

What, you liked my old avatar? In the "What does my avatar say about me?" thread, waaaaaaaaay too many people brought up bestiality or furries. So now it's a rock. Try sexualizing that, assholes.
How often do you get your ROCK off?
Can you ROCK my world?
Nice picture of your big thick ROCK.

Takuhi

SatelliteOfLove said:
More ETRIAN! *pounds desk* MORE ETRIAN! *pounds harder* MORE! BRING ME MORE!!! *POUND POUND POUND*

Waiting patiently for info on Yuzo "The Fucking Man" Koshiro's name and the dude who did the art for the last two being attached.

Wasn't this revealed earlier in the thread?

Yuzo and character-designer Yuji Himukai are reprising their roles, as are all the other key peoples from EOII.

Here's what else is known:
• All character classes and character art is being completely redone. (So it seems there will be no returning classes.)

• Revealed classes:
Prince/Princess - Seems to be the new Troubadour, granting party-wide buffs.
Phalanx - High-defense frontline fighter, like the Paladin, but wields polearms
Monk - Excels at fighting bare-handed, can use chi to heal allies
Shinobi - Can't quite make this out from the scan. Looks like they're the class with environmental interaction abilities, stealth and such.
Pirate - Excels at fighting groups of enemies, not so great at 1-on-1 battles

• Five other new classes are shown in art only. Looks like some sort of fighter, a shaman/barbarian, a kid with goggles and a massive crossbow? or is that an anchor? Winged chick with some sort of light weapon, kid with a pitchfork...

• Game is set at least partially on the high seas. Mapping function has 23 different icons that seem designed to illustrate ocean currents, islands with various sorts of terrain (rocky, mountainous, level, etc.)

• Multiplayer mode allows one to five players to simultaneously explore a patch of ocean. One of the exploration shots has everyone in a boat (which is shown on screen) while another is the traditional first-person perspective.

• Release date is 3/4. Price is an unusually expensive 6279 yen (same as Strange Journey). All the key peoples have returned.

Takuhi said:

Yuzo and character-designer Yuji Himukai are reprising their roles, as are all the other key peoples from EOII.

I got to "Etrian Odyssey 3" on page 3. Then the fist pounding and Wooing began.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Welp. Hopefully EO3 is better than the last one.

What the hell? I'm in fucking love with EO2.

Also, yay EO3 :D

Takuhi said:

Here's what else is known:

[awesomeness]

That sounds really cool. I can't wait!

I should probably finish EO2, huh?

shuyin_

Banned
clashfan said:
FFXII was so great Square decides to go a totally different direction with FFXIII...
omg, FF x is so great Square decides to go a totally direction with FF x+1... Each FF is different than the previous one :p

Amir0x

Banned
LiK said:
39 = game is shit!

more like

Any score/Any score on Famitsu = says nothing about game irrelevant as always

(plus FFXIII is shit, we already know that)

but ETRIAN ODYSSEY 3 being announced? RELEVANT. Fuck yeah!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
[Nintex] said:
13x3=39 = score the game got in Famitsu, what does it mean?

Well, Japan does DD/MM/YY:

Famitsu Exclusive: Dreamcast 2 on March 13th 2039. BeLIEve. Final Fantasy 13 Beyond-HD (HHHHD) remix/remake as launch title.

Seriously though: Slow news week. EO3 being announced is good, but there isn't anything huge other than that lol-tastic 9 for FF13.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
more ds games should be using the map creation aspect of ETRIAN ODYSSEY, or at least some variation on it. the concept of having a direct hand in charting your progress and customizing the experience in such a direct way is pretty brilliant, and sort of hearkens back to when you had to use the graph paper to turn out your own maps for ZELDA or METROID. that's a cool feeling.

Amir0x

Banned
beelzebozo said:
more ds games should be using the map creation aspect of ETRIAN ODYSSEY, or at least some variation on it. the concept of having a direct hand in charting your progress and customizing the experience in such a direct way is pretty brilliant, and sort of hearkens back to when you had to use the graph paper to turn out your own maps for ZELDA or METROID. that's a cool feeling.

Yup. Seriously, in my opinion, is was what the DS was born to do. It's probably the best use of the touchscreen/dual screen functionality on the platform.

I don't like random battles at all, but I was totally able to get past that purely on the strength of its map creation aspect.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
beelzebozo said:

Metroid: Dread (lol) should use it for those that want that. Otherwise I'd rather have my auto-map-a-la-Castlevania/Super Metroid in the upper part of the game.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
why would a ds zelda set on the ocean that follows up a game where the map is gradually drawn for you give you a hand in drawing the damn map!?

(what a horrible sentence, but you get the point)

TheSeks said:
Metroid: Dread (lol) should use it for those that want that. Otherwise I'd rather have my auto-map-a-la-Castlevania/Super Metroid in the upper part of the game.

METROID might be a little too fast-paced to be conducive to drawing the whole map, and there are too many rooms to keep track of all that. rather, maybe just the ability like in PH to make notes on the map and give you a hand in keeping track of key points. with something like ZELDA, where you have something like the ocean where there are large land masses, being able to draw the land mass, make notes, etc. is simple enough yet rewarding, and seems like a no-brainer to implement.

Top Bottom