• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's Famitsu 12-8-09 (ETRIAN ODYSSEY 3... plus FFXIII score)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
woah etrian odyssey on the high seas? glad i popped into the gaming side.

also, good scores for ff13 - didn't realize the xbox 360 US release date was so soon!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Sipowicz said:
Dragon Quest wins again!

what now dawgs?

The way things should be... next year will be good for American RPG fans though - FF13 and DQ9 in the same year :D

ReyBrujo

beelzebozo said:
more ds games should be using the map creation aspect of ETRIAN ODYSSEY, or at least some variation on it. the concept of having a direct hand in charting your progress and customizing the experience in such a direct way is pretty brilliant, and sort of hearkens back to when you had to use the graph paper to turn out your own maps for ZELDA or METROID. that's a cool feeling.
I play MUDs, and would buy a Nintendo DS mapper if it allowed me to transfer the maps to the computer in some way. And I am sure Dungeon Masters would have some fun creating maps for their sessions, letting the DS handle the enemy distribution and distance calculation.

FOE! FOE! FOE!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Oh there's gonna be a ton of awesome RPGs next year, I was just mentioning the 2 biggest (commercially). Personally I'm pretty damn hyped for the US release of 7th Dragon and Resonance of Fate.

wRATH2x

Banned
Who actually gives a shit about Famitsu? :lol Their scores haven't been relevant for a while now.

With that said, I don't reall give a shit about FFXIII anymore. The long development cycle ruined the hype for me. I know someone who's buying it, I'll borrow it from him after he's done.

syllogism

I liked EO2, but the manual mapping almost ruins it; what a waste of time. I'm still interested in EO3 as long as it's better balanced and has fewer broken mechanics.

Yaweee said:
What, you liked my old avatar? In the "What does my avatar say about me?" thread, waaaaaaaaay too many people brought up bestiality or furries. So now it's a rock. Try sexualizing that, assholes.

:lol

I will forever remember it as a Fusion Accident after the Strange Journey thread.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yaweee said:
What, you liked my old avatar? In the "What does my avatar say about me?" thread, waaaaaaaaay too many people brought up bestiality or furries. So now it's a rock. Try sexualizing that, assholes.
I can't, it just shows that you are a boring man.

ReyBrujo

syllogism said:
I liked EO2, but the manual mapping almost ruins it; what a waste of time. I'm still interested in EO3 as long as it's better balanced and has fewer broken mechanics.
That is half of its charm! As for broken mechanisms, I always play without reading walkthroughs and only check them once I am in the last stages of the extra stratus (I didn't know about Immunize until I finished the game, and never had a troubadour... the only thing I discovered by "myself" was having a medic with level 1 revive and a hexer with 1 health point and as many HP boosts as possible, other than that I am pretty classy (2 warriors, medic and alchemist).

turnbuckle

Etrian Odyssey III!!!!

I'm replaying it right now and in the 29th stratum. I was hoping we'd hear something about this at some point. The sequel had plenty of nice improvements from the original so I have high hopes for the third one. It better fucking come to NA :p

lyre

slaughterking said:
Etrian III begin on the ocean instead of a dungeon is the best idea ever. Seriously. :eek:
Has the formula gotten so stale that any minor change to the series can be seen as that great? Baffling.

turnbuckle

syllogism said:

Manual Mapping is one of the nicest things in the game. I'm only hoping for additional flexibility in editing options (new icons, path drawing, and probably something else). I agree on the imbalance issues and also hope they further reduce the penalty of retiring characters. Also, it would be nice if this one is actually bug free. I just noticed another error in the game recently when looking at the war medic's custom screen - the Luck attribute is spelled "Luk" while all other mentions of the stat spell it as "Luc".

I'd also like some more details regarding what stats and abilities do. Tec and agility are worthless stats for many classes.

larvi

syllogism said:

I beat both EOs without having to manual map so it's not needed unless it's something you like doing. I still have folders full of pencil graph paper maps for Apple II and early PC rpgs so I've done enough manual mapping in my lifetime as well.

syllogism

PataHikari said:
I think you're playing the wrong game here.
Well, I've been playing dungeon crawlers since 80s and not once since Ultima Underworld introduced automapping have I thought "wouldn't it be fun to go back to doing it manually?"

e: and yes, before that I did mapping manually

mutsu

Looks like there's a "Auto Pilot" function in EO3, which is a really nice addition in my opinion (if it does what I think it does).

biocat

Spiegel said:
What's this "New Monster Hunter project" scan about?

I wonder what scan you guys are seeing.
I have the issue in my hands and only see an article about another Best Hits version of Portable 2nd G with a lower price, and an article about the newest and next versions of Monster Hunter Frontier.

(edit)
Also, the FF13 review says up until the middle of the game there is a lack of gimmicks, not just during.

duckroll

biocat said:
I wonder what scan you guys are seeing.
I have the issue in my hands and only see an article about another Best Hits version of Portable 2nd G with a lower price, and an article about the newest and next versions of Monster Hunter Frontier.

How many pieces of Amano art are there for FFXIII?

biocat

duckroll said:
Could you describe them please? :)

Of course. :)
The first is all 7 main characters in a kind of flying 'V' with Lightning in the front.
The second is Lightning and Snow holding each other in an air ship in front of a firework filled sky.
The last one is Lightning walking forward in front of a white couch with a sword in her hand.

duckroll

biocat said:
The second is Lightning and Snow holding each other in an air ship in front of a firework filled sky.

You sure it's not Serah?

ff13_08.jpg

duckroll

Cool, thanks. I saw a scan of the one with all the characters, and the art is pretty awful there. Are the other two better drawn? The characters in the background of the group pic are pretty awful in terms of detail. Lol.

biocat

duckroll said:
Cool, thanks. I saw a scan of the one with all the characters, and the art is pretty awful there. Are the other two better drawn? The characters in the background of the group pic are pretty awful in terms of detail. Lol.

There might be a bit more detail but there's less actually in the other two pictures.

lyre

A new EO3 scan popped up featuring group art with two surprises,

1:
Protectors return? (if so, shit, hate em!)
2:
A sheep. (MM10 connection? >:p)

sfried

Dibs on the pirtate!
GAFicon.gif

lyre said:

1:
2:
A sheep. (MM10 connection? >:p)
I heard there were now shepards in the game and it is speculated they have a lot of min/take/collect/etc. points at there disposal.

lyre said:

1:

Nigh-essential for the first game, best class in the second game! Why you gotta hate?

vareon

lyre said:

1:

You.......hate them?

Anyway that group artwork is SWEET, and the screens looks like...EO. I skipped EO2 but definitely getting this one.

Best game on DS, everybody should love it.

sfried

Takuhi said:
Yuzo and character-designer Yuji Himukai are reprising their roles, as are all the other key peoples from EOII.
Good to see Kazuya Niinou and crew is still involved in this.

Riou

Is it just me or does it seem like the protector was photoshopped in the EO3 character splash page? See where the protector holds the hilt of her sword? That looks really weird, and the fact that the resolution for the protector seem different compared to all the other characters.

lyre

Scan mentioned earlier was shopped; there will be no returning characters after all. But there's still the
sheep

Pureauthor said:
Nigh-essential for the first game, best class in the second game!
Only essential for the three dragons and Primevil; easily replaceable everywhere else. And I beat every single thing in the second game without the aid of one. So shove that in your pipe and smoke it. >:p

Why you gotta hate?
vareon said:
You.......hate them?
All they do is take a beating and do nothing else. >:p But then again, that's far more than what Survivalists could do in the second game.

PS:
lyre
Currently trolling
in this thread.

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Niinou was not involved in EOII (maybe), nor is he for this game.
Nope he wasn't. Scenerio writer for EO1 was the director of 2 and he returns to do the same in 3.

However, there's NA 7th Dragon next year and Last Ranker later on for the Niinou goodness. And then there's that Fatestay thing where he's producer as well if you're into that kind of thing.

sfried

lyre said:
However, there's NA 7th Dragon next year and Last Ranker later on for the Niinou goodness.
Where do people keep hearing this 7th Dragon NA announcements? Was there a press release I missed?

Top Bottom