• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's Famitsu news

FFXII: RW gives me an unceasing erection. Yum.

A bit disappointed that FFTA2 is not going to be a bit more serious, but I wasn't really expecting it either. I'm a sucker and will definitely give it a spin. I just really hope they fix some of the annoying aspects of the first title (and do a bit better job balancing... lol Nu Mou Sages and Alchemists... lol Viera Assassin/Red Mages... Bangaa were totally worthless, as were humans, really).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
'i apologize for porting re4 -- it brought shame on my family, my company, and my nation. now i'd like to show you this port of re4.'

luffeN

werent the cutscenes in RE4 ingame and not prerendered? or do i misunderstand something about everything is realtime now in re4 wii oO

Polari

drohne said:
'i apologize for porting re4 -- it brought shame on my family, my company, and my nation. now i'd like to show you this port of re4.'

I'm not sure that Mikami still works for Capcom. Even if he does, I doubt he's working on this.

That he's doing another game with Suda 51 is awesome news though.

RaidenZR

Can someone educate me as to why a gun-based Resident Evil would be bad? In both contexts, and by that I mean if RE: UC is either like or unlike Gun Survivor? What was so bad about it?

And what information do we have that it's in the same mold as that game anyways? I've been looking forward to an arcade-esque shooter with the remote and if Resident Evil is the skin that holds it, then so be it. It could be a worse universe.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
mikami signed a new contract with capcom after the whole clover dissolution. i also doubt that he's got much to do with re4 wii -- i just found it funny.

AniHawk

drohne said:
mikami signed a new contract with capcom after the whole clover dissolution. i also doubt that he's got much to do with re4 wii -- i just found it funny.

Well it looks like it found its way back home to the Gamecube at least.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I dont mind RE:UC being an on-rails shooter, I like me some lightguns games (Time Crisis+House of The Dead fan) but I never tried the RE lightgun games what was so bad about them?

also the Fall of Umbrella makes for an insteresting storyline.

Polari

RaidenZR said:
Can someone educate me as to why a gun-based Resident Evil would be bad? In both contexts, and by that I mean if RE: UC is either like or unlike Gun Survivor? What was so bad about it?

And what information do we have that it's in the same mold as that game anyways? I've been looking forward to an arcade-esque shooter with the remote and if Resident Evil is the skin that holds it, then so be it. It could be a worse universe.

Resident Evil: Dead Aim: Avg Ratio: 66%

Resident Evil 4: Avg Ratio: 96%

AniHawk

Error said:
I dont mind RE:UC being an on-rails shooter, I like me some lightguns games (Time Crisis+House of The Dead fan) but I never tried the RE lightgun games what was so bad about them?

It's pretty much their shit teams that make 'em. I don't think any of the Gun Survivors were actually good.

Matix

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
WHAT

THE

HELL?

Is this a fake Famitsu or something? Seriously, my mouth went down like 30m while reading this 'news'...

LOL. same ****ing reaction here :lol :lol !!

Polari

RaidenZR said:
That's not useful at all.

?

What's not to understand?

Gun Survivor games are generally shit.

Resident Evil 4 is fantastic.

Would you rather a sequel to a shit series, or a sequel to the best game ever?

I know what I would prefer.

creamsugar

not from Famitsu, but it's a new title :D

Days of Memories (DS)
06/14

a love game with SNK's girls.

img10074149279.jpeg

img10074149285.jpeg

RaidenZR

Polari said:
?

What's not to understand?

Gun Survivor games are generally shit.

Resident Evil 4 is fantastic.

Would you rather a sequel to a shit series, or a sequel to the best game ever?

I know what I would prefer.

I guess I was just looking for, you know, some articulation as to why it is a shit series. And there's a reason why I'm asking here as opposed to seeking out compiled review scores. I generally get the feeling there are people here who 1) care about RE and 2) have played it. Perhaps not though...

Polari

RaidenZR said:
I guess I was just looking for, you know, some articulation as to why it is a shit series. And there's a reason why I'm asking here as opposed to seeking out compiled review scores. I generally get the feeling there are people here who 1) care about RE and 2) have played it. Perhaps not though...

At those links of "compiled review scores" there are links to reviews. Lots of links. They will tell you why it's a shit series. Or do you need me to do that for you? I could hold your hand if you like too.

duckroll

Gun Survivor games are bad because they neither fulfil the needs of gun shooting fans nor of adventure game fans. They try to be both at the same time and pretty much fail. There isn't enough tension or action on screen at a time to make it a good and fun on-rails gun shooting game, and the adventure aspects are tacked on and bog the game down instead of making the game more fun or expanding the scope.

Imagine a gun shooting game with less action, less impact, and less fun, and add tacked on Resident Evil or Dino Crisis adventure (read: lock and key) elements and that's pretty much the entire series in a nutshell. Some improved on certain elements and are more fun than others, but overall it's a horrible average series that doesn't really deserve much time or attention.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
duckroll said:
Gun Survivor games are bad because they neither fulfil the needs of gun shooting fans nor of adventure game fans. They try to be both at the same time and pretty much fail. There isn't enough tension or action on screen at a time to make it a good and fun on-rails gun shooting game, and the adventure aspects are tacked on and bog the game down instead of making the game more fun or expanding the scope.

Imagine a gun shooting game with less action, less impact, and less fun, and add tacked on Resident Evil or Dino Crisis adventure (read: lock and key) elements and that's pretty much the entire series in a nutshell. Some improved on certain elements and are more fun than others, but overall it's a horrible average series that doesn't really deserve much time or attention.
thanks those seem like legitimate flaws, RE:UC at least has an interesting storyline so here is hoping for the best.

neo2046

Fate Tiger Colosseum for PSP

Jonnyram said:
Oh, looks like Square Enix is starting a series of DS non-games called "DS Style".
Unless this is a late April fool, titles so far are:
DS Gardening Life
Globetrotting (France, Italy, Thailand)
Listen to Classics

cvxfreak

Error said:
thanks those seem like legitimate flaws, RE:UC at least has an interesting storyline so here is hoping for the best.

Gun Survivor 4/Dead Aim was the best of the series and a solid game overall with interesting environments, enemies and bosses. Unfortunately it was too short and there weren't any actual puzzles. An adventure twice as long with proper puzzles would have made for a game some might have liked more than say RE0. I'd argue that Dead Aim alone acts as a legitimate chapter inbetween CV and RE4 and tells A LOT about Umbrella's downfall.

I always wondered why people found Umbrella's downfall to be an apparent huge mystery. Then I realize people barely played Dead Aim. :)

I'd say a good Gun Survivor game improves on the mechanics that were refined in Dead Aim, carries the hecticness of Gun Survivor 2 (such as the presence of instant-KO Nemesis in that version) and contains the multiple pathways from the original GS.

jett

D-Member
So where's FFXIII Haerisis? Ahuahuahuaha

:lol at Mikami. What is he apologizing to PS2 owners for? For ****ing us over when he moved the RE franchise to the cube? Douche.

Busty

Banned
Bleh. RE:UC and RE4 :Wii both sound like cheap and cheerful knock offs to me. I'm not sure just who they expect to buy RE4. The hardcore fans already have it and the general public surely know it from it's original Gamecube and PS2 release.

I expected better of Capcom. If there's any justice at all they'd either offer RE4 as a pack in bonus title to compliment RE:UC or if they do sell it seperately RE4 will destroy UC in sales.

I'll bet that RE:UC will be sold as a QTE game for all those that like watching horror movies in the dark under a blanket with their nearest and dearest.

I can just see the advert now. Two bright and smiley American teens sitting on a couch with the lights off, bowl of popcorn in front of them. Waggling their Wiimote like crazy when a zombie pops up in front of the screen.

They scream.

We groan.

They laugh.

We die a little inside.

Fady K

Aokage said:
- Square Enix announces a line of "practical" DS software, under the brand name "DS Style". Titles include:

World Walking (a popular series of Japanese travel guides): Italy
World Walking: Thailand
World Walking: France
World Walking: Taiwan
World Walking: New York
World Walking: Hawaii
DS Yoga Lessons You Can Start Today
Why Not Listen To Classical Music On DS?
Flower-Blooming DS Gardening Life

Oh Square, whatever happened to you....

- Shinji Mikami (belatedly) apologizes for Bio Hazard 4 getting ported to PS2 in an interview with Famitsu's editor, Tsushin Hamamura. Saying he "betrayed both GameCube and PlayStation users", he expresses his guilt and even apologizes for not apologizing sooner.

mabuza said:
he's apologising to us ps2 owners for giving us the best game on the system? wtf

jett said:
:lol at Mikami. What is he apologizing to PS2 owners for? For ****ing us over when he moved the RE franchise to the cube? Douche.

Seriously. How the #@!$ did he betray Playstation owners by giving them one of the best games of all time thaty was ported really well from superior hardware??? I love this guys games, but if this is what he said, then no respect. Guilt??? Bah...

Aokage said:
Bio Hazard: Umbrella Chronicles (Wii)

As in the other thread. First-person gun shooting (Gun Survivor?). You can't move freely, the game is "specialized for shooting". Entirely on rails, but you can look around with the analog stick and change the route you follow from time to time. Details the history of how Umbrella falls. Returning characters include Chris, Jill, Rebecca, Billy Cohen, Albert Wesker etc.

Not sure what to think about on-rails, regardless of scores or end result, I have a feeling ill be picking this up on day one.

Aokage said:
Bio Hazard 4: Wii Edition (Wii)

Beating the game adds Ada's "The Another Order"/"Separate Ways" from the PS2 version. Controls adapted for waggle, including Wiimote aiming. Waggle while holding down B to reload, waggle without holding to use your knife. Also comes with a trailer for Umbrella Chronicles.

Hmmm...shall I pick this up a third time for some waggle control?

Aokage said:
Fate: Tiger Colosseum (PSP)

http://www.vipper.org/vip482695.jpg

Cutesy SD action game by Cavia based on ultrapopular adult game Fate.

What the?? Whats this? Oh noez its by cavia :(

[/QUOTE=Aokage]Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (DS)

http://hachikaze.ddo.jp/bbs/up/src/up1091.jpg
http://hachikaze.ddo.jp/bbs/up/src/up1092.jpg
http://hachikaze.ddo.jp/bbs/up/src/up1093.jpg
http://hachikaze.ddo.jp/bbs/up/src/up1094.jpg
http://hachikaze.ddo.jp/bbs/up/src/up1095.jpg
http://hachikaze.ddo.jp/bbs/up/src/up1096.jpg

- Not a heavy story like FFXII, but rather a lighthearted romp like FFTA1.
- Addition of a World Map. World Map made up of many smaller Area Maps.
- Addition of giant-sized boss units taking up several squares.[/QUOTE]

Not a heavy story like FFXII?? FFXII barely had a story! Ok so now Im hardly expecting anystory. Good stuff, S-E, keep em coming.

Aokage said:
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (PSP)

http://hachikaze.ddo.jp/bbs/up/src/up1086.jpg

- In addition to Balthier, super secret hot bonus character #2: Luso (main character) from FFTA2!
- "Brave Story" mode: Tracks your progress through the game. Sounds like the Jiminy Memos from Kingdom Hearts.
- New events for Delita (Matsuno rolling in grave confirmed).

Aokage said:
Cool, more additions. But the FFTA2 character here as well, thats weird :S

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (DS)

http://hachikaze.ddo.jp/bbs/up/src/up1087.jpg
http://hachikaze.ddo.jp/bbs/up/src/up1088.jpg
http://hachikaze.ddo.jp/bbs/up/src/up1089.jpg
http://hachikaze.ddo.jp/bbs/up/src/up1090.jpg

- New characters and summons (return of Rikken, Elza and Raz!)

A few days from now and well get an idea of how the end result is.

Aokage said:
Reviews:

Gyakuten Saiban 4: 9, 9, 9, 9
Grim Grimoire: 8, 7, 7, 6

EXCELLENT Capcom! Cant wait for this :)
As for Grim Grimoire, I was hoping for more :(

farnham said:
he also stated that he is making a game with Suda Goichi (which means pretty much a Wii title.. Suda is currently developing 3 Wii titles and i doubt he can work on another title with his development capacity) He will announce it this summer.

Grasshopper is THE third party that made me get a Wii. Awesome news.

geox

Famitsu is leaky this week, still picking it up, but I wonder if there will be any good stuff left in the mag that hasn't been leaked already...

ethelred

farnham said:
[Mikami] also stated that he is making a game with Suda Goichi (which means pretty much a Wii title.. Suda is currently developing 3 Wii titles and i doubt he can work on another title with his development capacity) He will announce it this summer.

Could someone without a reputation for passing off complete and utter bunk (hi farnham) confirm if this is accurate or not?

Well at least we know that Umbrella Chronicles should control beautifully now that we don't have to turn. Anyone who's played the shooting gallery game in Wii Play can tell you just how damn accurate the pointer is.

toypop

Fady K said:
Originally Posted by jett:
at Mikami. What is he apologizing to PS2 owners for? For ****ing us over when he moved the RE franchise to the cube? Douche.

Seriously. How the #@!$ did he betray Playstation owners by giving them one of the best games of all time thaty was ported really well from superior hardware??? I love this guys games, but if this is what he said, then no respect. Guilt??? Bah...

He means because those who have been bought RE titles for PS1 system had to buy Gamecube for RE4, since he promised RE4 would be exclusive on GC ...at first.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
sharkie said:
Anyone know if the JPN version of Gyakuten Saiban 4 have a full English translation.
Since the game wasn't being ported to the DS for an English release it doesn't.

sharkie

jj984jj said:
Since the game wasn't being ported to the DS for an English release it doesn't.

Well thats unfortunate, hopefully thats won't mean months and months of delays just for "translation purposes" (living in Europe gets you burned one to many times), any ideas on when it'll be released in the west?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
sharkie said:
Well thats unfortunate, hopefully thats won't mean months and months of delays just for "translation purposes" (living in Europe gets you burned one to many times), any ideas on when it'll be released in the west?
Probably next year, we still have yet to get the third game.

Top Bottom