• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's Famitsu news

Jonnyram

There's a clue about Seiken Densetsu 4's platform in the interview.
Apparently it uses a lot of physics (i.e. it's likely to be next gen).

Kseutron

well soldiers, looks like this bloody handheld war is now over

It was fun but short though, bye bye sony who's next ?

Amir0x

Banned
Jonnyram said:

If that's the case, it has GOT to be Xbox360. It's a win-win for Square. It's a non-comittal franchise that they can put some nice work into and show the required support on Xbox 360, while they can wait a little while longer before they lay out how their big names are gonna fall: Final Fantasy (numbered), Dragon Quest (numbered), Kingdom Hearts III, etc...

I guess it could be a Revolution game, but it'd be a bit surprising to me.

Ceb

If Seiken 4 is next-gen, then I guess all the places you could see in the background aren't just 2D bitmaps. Large, cohesive world with emphasis on physics and animation?

Mojojo

Jonnyram said:

Interesting. Graphically, the little we saw doesnt seem super-impressive.. and the lack of a name for the platform could be another clue....Which next-gen console doesn't have its name finalized yet? :D
Though first time I saw the pics, I noticed buttons near the mini-map that had the Xbox controller's color scheme, so the mystery is still complete...

Amir0x said:
If that's the case, it has GOT to be Xbox360.

They released a screen of it and most felt that it wasn't the PS3 or 360 because of the screen size. So Revolution seems likely if its a next gen game.

Jonnyram said:
That "Dracula" is confirmed to be another Castlevania game for DS next year.

damn that means i have to get dawn of sorrows. they way things are going , I see 3d castelvania whip action on the rev next year or 2007. woooohoooo

Altermo

Famitsu scores (according to GameFront)

Code Age Commanders (PS2, Square Enix): 8 / 8 / 8 / 8 - (32/40)
Critical Velocity (PS2, Namco): 8 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (29/40)
Prince of Persia: Kenshi no Kokoro [POP: Warrior Within] (Xbox/PS2, Ubisoft): 9 / 8 / 8 / 9 - (34/40)
Rasetsu Alternative (PS2, Kogado Studio): 6 / 6 / 6 / 5 - (23/40)
Racing Game: Chuui!!!! [FlatOut] (PS2, Konami): 7 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (28/40)
Tsuukin Hitofude [Polarium] (GBA, Nintendo): 7 / 7 / 7 / 8 - (29/40)
Londonian Gothics: Meikyuu no Lolita (NDS, Megacyber): 6 / 5 / 5 / 7 - (22/40)

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Doube D said:
What does that chess drawing have to with the statement you quoted? The king didn't put himself in check. The player simply put the king in a very VERY bad spot (wrong move). He was then check mated. As was quoted, the king can't put itself in check. If it doesn't have any other move (besides being put in check), it would be a stale mate. :)
Like I typed, I was merely following orders from a banned friend. I don't pretend to know what the hell you guys are talking about. ;)

Just in case you guys missed the posted topic, FF III is due out in 2006 and will be "fully polygonal" as confirmed by Neo2046. http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=65925

Ruzbeh

Banned
ThunderEmperor said:
revolution pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Square :)
I really doubt it. There's just no way that Square-Enix has that much confidence in Revolution. It's either PS3 or Xbox 360 or PS2. PS2 has become the least likeliest now that it's been hinted to be next-gen.

Ruzbeh said:
I really doubt it. There's just no way that Square-Enix has that much confidence in Revolution. It's either PS3 or Xbox 360 or PS2. PS2 has become the least likeliest now that it's been hinted to be next-gen.

if its this gen yes ps2, but withthe way square has been give nintendo support with 5 games for the ds, ff3 dor ds, ff4 ff5 and ff6 for ga. and the are also dveloping mario 3 vs 3 basketball for the ds. i see a wind of change. if this where for the ps2 i think they would have annoynced it by now. I think they do have alot of faith in the rev. remember mr wada head of square was the first to offer full support to the revolution before any other developer or publish said such words.

I really doubt it. There's just no way that Square-Enix has that much confidence in Revolution. It's either PS3 or Xbox 360 or PS2

And what's the basis of their "confidence" in 360? It's predecessor's awe-inspiring performance in the East?

Spike

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Sony. Yes, that's right, Sony. Without them announcing the PSP, Nintendo would've never produced like this.

So, thank you Sony!!

In Iwata We Trust!!

Taker666

h-103_44202_tinkul250.jpg.jpg

and other clearer game screens here-

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2005/10/04/103,1128400389,44202,0,0.html

madara

Wow, whats the date on this issue? I may have get ride down to chicago and pick up this issue, so much good stuff in it. Its been long time since been on golf rd, its long overdue.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
SantaCruZer said:
he shooots he SCOOOOOOOORES!

I will from now on blindly buy any castlevania game that is in 2d. the latest one was THAT GOOD.

SantaC

catfish said:
I will from now on blindly buy any castlevania game that is in 2d. the latest one was THAT GOOD.

yes now when they have the DoS engine down, they can make a new one pretty quickly just like HoD and AoS. HoD layed the engine down for AoS :)

Twix

oh shit DS is a beast.. what the hell is going on ? what’s wrong with Sony ? I can’t believe what’s happening now ..this is the first time since 10 years I see a Playstation brand in this weakness..

It’s sad but true.. PSP IS OFFICIALLY DEAD IN JAPAN..

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'm not generally fond of spinoffs, but tingle deserves his own game. i hope it sells through the roof and leads to tingle replacing link as the star of the zelda games.

and new 2d castlevania for the fucking WIN. i guess it isn't too surprising that they're doing another one, but with the way dos bombed in japan i was a bit worried.

Ruzbeh

Banned
ThunderEmperor said:
if its this gen yes ps2, but withthe way square has been give nintendo support with 5 games for the ds, ff3 dor ds, ff4 ff5 and ff6 for ga. and the are also dveloping mario 3 vs 3 basketball for the ds. i see a wind of change. if this where for the ps2 i think they would have annoynced it by now. I think they do have alot of faith in the rev. remember mr wada head of square was the first to offer full support to the revolution before any other developer or publish said such words.
NintendosBooger said:
And what's the basis of their "confidence" in 360? It's predecessor's awe-inspiring performance in the East?
Hmmm... that's true... a man can only hope. :D :D

SantaC

drohne said:
i'm not generally fond of spinoffs, but tingle deserves his own game. i hope it sells through the roof and leads to tingle replacing link as the star of the zelda games.

and new 2d castlevania for the fucking WIN. i guess it isn't too surprising that they're doing another one, but with the way dos bombed in japan i was a bit worried.

well I assume that it doesn't cost IGA and Konami so much making these castlevania games for DS so they can afford it. They also limit the print copies.

Now when they have DoS engine down I am very interested where they will go. Soma Cruz again or someone totally new? Drohne, are you getting your copy today?

Izzy

Banned
Falch said:
What's Rainbow Island?

Taito's legendary game - Bubble Bobble sequel without little dinos! I'm sure EnixSquare is releasing the remake now! Great news for DS.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i preordered my copy from a shitty store where i happened to have a bunch of trade-in credit, so i probably won't get it until thursday or friday. :/

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Even though PSP is lagging behind DS in terms of sales in Japan, could all the new DS announcements partly be because of the competition from PSP? I mean, people say "PSP is dead in Japan" now, which I assume partly means "DS is killing it" (and partly "PSP is killing itself"). I actually hope that is the case...since that will force Sony to come up with a good comeback through new PSP software, which will cause Nintendo to strike back and so on. Good times. :D

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Even though PSP is lagging behind DS in terms of sales in Japan, could all the new DS announcements partly be because of the competition from PSP?"

there is more to it than that - why aren't these games going to the PSP is the big question? there's too much stuff going to the DS - there's obviously a reason.

Culex

Banned
drohne said:

But Castlevania: DoS didn't "bomb" in Japan. It sold in line with all prior Castlevania games, sans SotN.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
DCharlie said:
why aren't these games going to the PSP is the big question?

I could probably make a fairly accurate guess as to why square Enix isn't making Mario Basketball for the PSP.

Ceb

DCharlie said:
"Even though PSP is lagging behind DS in terms of sales in Japan, could all the new DS announcements partly be because of the competition from PSP?"

there is more to it than that - why aren't these games going to the PSP is the big question? there's too much stuff going to the DS - there's obviously a reason.

Although to be fair, the vast majority of the interesting titles from that list are first-party efforts. :)

MadFuzzy

DCharlie said:

Development costs are probably much less for DS. If you're doing a PSP game, everyone expects PS2 quality visuals because of the way the console has been sold to people and to do that, you need PS2-esque budgets to meet those expectations. You can do a DS game on slightly larger than GBA budgets, and it's probably considered lower risk to develop for DS, so that's why there's shedloads of titles being announced now.

mutsu

It really seems Capcom has moved to the PSP camp. With all these madness DS announcments, all Capcom announced was Gyakuten Saiban 4. Great game no doubt, but I expected more from them. Looks like they've joined the PSP side of things.

DDayton

mutsu said:
It really seems Capcom has moved to the PSP camp. With all these madness DS announcments, all Capcom announced was Gyakuten Saiban 4. Great game no doubt, but I expected more from them. Looks like they've joined the PSP side of things.

Heh.

Don't be too sure of this technological terror they've constructed. The ability to play movies is insignificant next to the power of the game sales.

Jonnyram

mutsu said:
There's the Biohazard remake too, and there's a rumour of Mikami making a DS game.

mutsu

Still not very balanced though, considering Rockman, Rockman X, Makaimura etc are turning up for the PSP.

But I am happy with Gyakuten Saiban 4, that would do my day.

DDayton

mutsu said:
Still not very balanced though, considering Rockman, Rockman X, Makaimura etc are turning up for the PSP.

But I am happy with Gyakuten Saiban 4, that would do my day.

... the weird thing is that Rockman and Rockman X are more akin to Hudson's line of budget updates than anything else. They seem like weird things to bring to the PSP, really. Maybe we'll see GC releases of both, much like VJ Battle Carnival. Heh.

fresquito

DCharlie said:

Why would so when the DS is the bigger seller in Japan? PS2=|=PSP

Juice

Various thoughts Juice had while reading this thread:

-Recall that one recent report (really wish I had the link, sorry) claimed DS development was actually CHEAPER than average GBA development to this point. Beyond a killer SDK, it doesn't quite add up for me either.

-This is really probably the most significant momentum shift to date for the DS. Any thought that their killer second half of '05 lineup was a fluke (and I did), has now more or less been proven wrong. This is just going to snowball, and the system is going to get all the RPGs to boot. Great sales too, are one thing, but sales that dictate software development (along with dev cost) are just about everything at this point when we start to hear about titles that'll be hitting in a year or two.

-When was the last time Square got its hands on the Mario property? Super Mario RPG? Suddenly I have an interest in mario playing basketball... didn't think that'd happen.

-Sure is a good thing I can play NES and SNES games on my PSP. Can't do that on my DS. Even then, Sony loses money. Man, they can't really win.

-It's hardly over for the PSP as a gaming machine. Hopefully competition will continue to spur on software development on both sides. I can't think of a time there were so many games I wanted to play on handhelds. That said, it looks like Capcom and Western Devs are the main sources of PSP content from here on out.

Top Bottom