• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's Japan mag news - Level 5 Soccer RPG, BOB!!, Project O, Camelot is back

Acosta

thetrin said:
Anata wo yurusanai sounds badass. I would really like to see this get translated for the US. There are boatloads of japanese adventure games that never get translated into english. It's damn irritating.

Yes, totally agree, I am sure there is a niche for these type of games out of Japan. Just looked the scans and looks really nice.

ziran

jj984jj said:
Still, that's not a port, they obviously aren't going to throw away all those unused assets when they're making yet another golf game.
We need more info, but so far, I disagree, I'd say it looks like a port.

It's called Wii Love Golf, the PC game is called I Love Golf, it looks very similar, and even the character shown in the game looks the same and is wearing the same outfit.

To be honest, I don't care if it is a port. Camelot's a great developer, so as long as they nail the controls, it should be a very good game.

Legend of Kage 2?! Please don't let this be the only 2d action platformer revival in the near future. Natsume, Sunsoft, Konami and Capcom hopefully have some good stuff planned as well.

1-D_FTW

PC port or not, if Wii Love Golf can nail the Wii Sports Golf controls (and not the varying shitfest of controls of the third-party golf games), this will be my cue to rebuy a Wii. If Zach & Wiki is an indicator, hopefully this also signals Capcom is becoming the first Wii third-party to really understand what Wii is supposed to be.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Camelot/11UP's PC MMO game never came out, jeez, would it kill people to listen?

1-D_FTW said:
PC port or not, if Wii Love Golf can nail the Wii Sports Golf controls (and not the varying shitfest of controls of the third-party golf games), this will be my cue to rebuy a Wii. If Zach & Wiki is an indicator, hopefully this also signals Capcom is becoming the first Wii third-party to really understand what Wii is supposed to be.
They seem to be a balanced supporter and not afraid to show some degree of AAA love to the Wii. Resident Evil(4 port and UC) and Zack and Wiki is a nice start and the inclusion of the MNG clone with waggle that actually(hopefully) works should show everyone how it's done.

Haunted

shit, I'm late to the party

Camelot!

Legend of Kage 2!

Soccer RPG by Level 5!

King Story!

oh, my. :O :O Now this is what I call a proper Japan mag news thread. :D

ziran

jj984jj said:
The PC MMO game never came out, jeez, would it kill people to listen?
That's what I assumed, but it still doesn't change the fact the game hasn't been developed from the ground up on Wii.

The initial intention was to make a PC title, not a game for Wii, but as I said, it doesn't matter, because it's Golf, and as long as Camelot perfects the controls to at least Wii Golf standard, it should be a great game.

Would it kill you to actually read what I write and try and understand the simple things I'm saying? :lol

mclem

Zerodoppler said:
Legend of Kage 2?! Please don't let this be the only 2d action platformer revival in the near future. Natsume, Sunsoft, Konami and Capcom hopefully have some good stuff planned as well.
Just to check... you *do* know about Contra 4, right?

Really interested in that Soccer RPG, been a while since I actually played one.

I'm also loving everything about King Story.

Great week.

jj984jj

ziran said:
That's what I assumed, but it still doesn't change the fact the game hasn't been developed from the ground up on Wii.

The initial intention was to make a PC title, not a game for Wii, but as I said, it doesn't matter, because it's Golf, and as long as Camelot perfects the controls to at least Wii Golf standard, it should be a great game.

Would it kill you to actually read what I write and try and understand the simple things I'm saying? :lol
Reusing the assets of that MMO game doesn't mean that this project wasn't built from the ground up on Wii at all, it means that they didn't want to waste unused resources. Building an engine for an MMO game on the PC is very different from making an engine on Wii, I'd agree that Camelot probably just ported over that engine if they had no experience with this hardware before and this game looked exactly the same graphically, but that's not the case. It's very difficult to port an engine built on one platform to another, so unless they were to say they ported it over them-selves I'd be more quick to say this uses one of their GCN engines before I'd say it uses the same engine as their PC MMO game.

jj984jj

mutsu said:
Is it just me? I can't seem to see any screens from this link, nor any of the links that are on the page.

Can someone who can see the screenshots rehost them somewhere?
They seem to have been removed.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
DS | Inazuma Eleven
Release: Unknown
Publisher/Developer: Level-5
- soccer-themed RPG
- characters are anime-like with insane special attacks
- matches are played with touchpen
- in story mode you play a scout
- to dribble you draw an arrow in the direction you want to play
- to pass you touch the player you want to pass to
- to shoot, you touch the goal and you can also decide to shoot left or right
- when dribbling, you can touch other players, or you can hit people who have the ball, this takes you into a "command battle" where two commands are displayed on the bottom screen
- over 1000 characters who can be your ally
- versus and swapping possible with wireless play

Damn that was my idea, right down to the special attacks. I have broken prototypes and everything :'(

Thomper

jj984jj said:
They seem to have been removed.
If you click on the links in the upper-righthand corner you get to the pages for the games, and there's some screens if you click in the bottom right.

Edit: Ah, so those have been removed too. Such a shame, it looked quite nice.

ziran

jj984jj said:
Reusing the assets of that MMO game doesn't mean that this project wasn't built from the ground up on Wii at all, it means that they didn't want to waste unused resources. Building an engine for an MMO game on the PC is very different from making an engine on Wii, I'd agree that Camelot probably just ported over that engine if they had no experience with this hardware before and this game looked exactly the same graphically, but that's not the case. It's very difficult to port an engine built on one platform to another, so unless they were to say they ported it over them-selves I'd be more quick to say this uses one of their GCN engines before I'd say it uses the same engine as their PC MMO game.
We seem to be discussing port and moved.

To me, it looks like a port, in the same way Pangya Golf was a port. In fact, everything you say about this game could be said about Pangya, with the exception of it making it to market, and I'd definitely call Pangya a port. We don't know how far along the PC project was, though the article from over a year ago suggests it was playable.

We do need more info, but if PC I Love Golf isn't going to be released ever, I'd guess things weren't going well on the project, Wii became a huge success, so to avoid losing all that work they ported/moved it to Wii.

klee123

Hmmm, love the look of Inazuna Eleven, valkyrie of the battlefield and Anata no urusanai. Can't wait for higher quality scans.

jj984jj

ziran said:
We seem to be discussing port and moved.

To me, it looks like a port, in the same way Pangya Golf was a port. In fact, everything you say about this game could be said about Pangya, with the exception of it making it to market, and I'd definitely call Pangya a port. We don't know how far along the PC project was, though the article from over a year ago suggests it was playable.

We do need more info, but if PC I Love Golf isn't going to be released ever, I'd guess things weren't going well on the project, Wii became a huge success, so to avoid losing all that work they ported/moved it to Wii.
Well then I suppose you're not sure about the meaning of the word port that we've used in the gaming community for years. I'm pretty sure there is no confusion by most what original games, ports, remakes, sequels, and spin-offs are. There are a few variations on how some people categorize closely related material but I've never seen anyone flat out calling original games or spin-offs ports, which is essentially what you're doing. Pangya Golf on Wii is a spin-off that is part of the same series as the MMO game on the PC but is also uniquely build for a single-player experience. Wii Love Golf is an original game that doesn't use any material from a game released before it in any market. Neither are ports.

Matt_C

creamsugar said:

Please have an alternative costume featuring a dark green trenchcoat, black shirt with white collar, black shorts, a tan baseball cap, and sneakers.

Please alert Kevin Smith and have his ass motion captured and digitally scanned. If Tekken 3 have freaking Gon, why not ask View Askew to do the full hard on Silent Bob? The only hurdle is that he is mainly a platformer guy but we all can dream

ziran

jj984jj said:
Well then I suppose you're not sure about the meaning of the word port that we've used in the gaming community for years. I'm pretty sure there is no confusion by most what original games, ports, remakes, sequels, and spin-offs are. There are a few variations on how some people categorize closely related material but I've never seen anyone flat out calling original games or spin-offs ports, which is essentially what you're doing. Pangya Golf on Wii is a spin-off that is part of the same series as the MMO game on the PC but is also uniquely build for a single-player experience. Wii Love Golf is an original game that doesn't use any material from a game released before it in any market. Neither are ports.
Wait, so Pangya Golf on Wii isn't a port (in your view)?

Wow! There are loads of people and major sites, like 1up, calling it a port, which I'll stick with, thanks.

I'm not particularly interested in the finite semantics of videogamedom, what I meant was, it looks like the PC game is coming to Wii with motion controls, minus the MMO bit (probably), which I expect is what everybody else meant who suggested it. Call it what you want.

Regardless of what you think about original games, ports, remakes, sequels, spin-offs, etc, etc, Wii Love Golf looks like it could be a great game, which is all that really matters :D

EDIT-
Model 500 said:
I like how that Capcom Wii Golf reminds me more of Super Tennis than Pangaya or Wii Sports Golf, looks very promising :D
Yeah, there is that sense, and I loved Super Tennis. The best tennis game on the system, and one of the best ever, imo.

toypop

reriel said:
what ? mitsuda ? it's confirmed ?

Yes, You can find his profile and photo at its official site.

http://www.inazuma.jp/

Click "ゲーム紹介"(Introduction)> "サウンド"(Sound)

2005422879456880604_rs.jpg

Defuser

Sharp said:
I thought games -> movies usually didn't work though, or are things different in Japan?
If they can have Manga to Movie/TV serials,why not game to movie? I'm sure it will be a big hit to kids.

jarrod

Banned
RiskyChris said:
I like the Mario sports games. AAA gameplay with familiar characters is all kinds o' win.
Well, who's to say we won't be seeing Rockman or some other familiar Capcom faces popping up? :D

Really excited about the Camelot sport series for Wii. Was a huge fan of their work on the Mario Sports series so if they just take the gameplay from there, and add in some great Wii controls, then I'll be in heaven.

Chibbi Brady said:
Really excited about the Camelot sport series for Wii. Was a huge fan of their work on the Mario Sports series so if they just take the gameplay from there, and add in some great Wii controls, then I'll be in heaven.

Hopefully a tennis game is not too far off. That's the one that'll get me really excited.

The Wiimote is so well suited to tennis games, but aside from WiiSports, not a single tennis game has appeared on it. I just find that funny.

Top Bottom