• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's Japanese magazine news (Sponsored by MS)

evaki8.jpg

Wait... what????

EDIT: I want a pokeymans inspirational poster made out of this one ASAP, guys. Get on it! :)

RyuHayate

neojubei said:
Well it is an xbox 360 game so first you have to add this

money%20hat%20small.jpg

then the score will be 8.0 or above.

just kidding, I actually like Lost Planet.

Well, Ryan Payton claimed on the last 1UP Yours podcast that the relationship between the press and publishers in Japan is a little too close for comfort.

Aaron

RyuHayate said:
Well, Ryan Payton claimed on the last 1UP Yours podcast that the relationship between the press and publishers in Japan is a little too close for comfort.
This has been well known for a number of years, but people still accept the scores people want to accept.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Just for kicks, I'll post it again
me said:
Finally found it. This text is written by Greg (former Joypad/Gaming, now freelance in France). He also worked for Famitsu Xbox and some other japanese publications.

"The scores of famitsu, how it works :

1) Famitsu is a weekly magazine. Thus there are 4 teams making one magazine per month, with one chief editor each.

2) Before starting testing a game, the chief editor and the reviewers have a meeting and discuss about the game. If the chief editor got special orders from the publisher (don't be to harsh or so) he tells them there.

3) The 4 reviewers play the game.

4) They go back to the chief editor the day the magazine is finished and discuss again. They each agree on the score they will give to the game.

5) The chief editor sends the scores to the publishers so they can comment about them.

6) If the publicher is not happy with the scores, he negotiates. For example : "All right, you are harsh on that one, but the next one you give me a free ad, ok ?"

There it is, it's not that difficult. I say "Famitsu" because I know it from the inside, but in Japan it works like that everywhere. The magazine get the images and infos MONTHS before the official press release, but wait for the publishers before doing anything with them. There is absolutely no research from them.

All the pages about a game are sent and verified by each publisher. If they do a feature about Devil May Cry, it will be checked by Capcom who will send back the page saying them to change a title or some texts...

I hope I did not destroy a myth"

End of the lousy translation ;)

hadareud

The Translator
Blimblim said:
Just for kicks, I'll post it again
I read your post in the other thread already - it is really quite worrying and sad. Especially considering how much faith people put in past famitsu scores.

Rlan

So that's where SEGA is shoveling the money :lol

Though this is Xbox Famitsu, Any idea what's the worst game review either by SEGA, Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony are in regular Famitsu?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
When's EDF3 coming out? I need to know as soon as possible if it's region-free or not, if there's an Asian version of the game at least.

klee123

Rlan said:
So that's where SEGA is shoveling the money :lol

Though this is Xbox Famitsu, Any idea what's the worst game review either by SEGA, Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony are in regular Famitsu?

Nothing from them I believe. The worst games are usually crappy anime licensed games.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Kiriku said:
When's EDF3 coming out? I need to know as soon as possible if it's region-free or not, if there's an Asian version of the game at least.
No asian version announced yet, and no japanese release has been region free until now :/

After seeing the DOAX2 and Sonic scores I'm sure no one at Famitsu owns a 360.. they just publish random scores and assume no one will notice, because, well, 6 people have a 360 in Japan and they don't read Famitsu. :lol

duckroll

Armored Core 4 (Xbox360)

- It will be identical to the PS3 version
- Both versions run on their own networks, so PS3 gamers will not be able to play Xbox360 gamers
- 60% complete, scheduled to be released in Spring 2007

Riot-Act (Crackdown) will be released on 22nd Feb 2007 in Japan at 7140yen. The cover art will be illustrated by Monkey Punch.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
duckroll said:
Armored Core 4 (Xbox360)

- It will be identical to the PS3 version
- Both versions run on their own networks, so PS3 gamers will not be able to play Xbox360 gamers
- 60% complete, scheduled to be released in Spring 2007

Riot-Act (Crackdown) will be released on 22nd Feb 2007 in Japan at 7140yen. The cover art will be illustrated by Monkey Punch.

Cannot wait for the ps3 version to come out next month. I plan to import this game. :D

Acosta

hadareud said:
I read your post in the other thread already - it is really quite worrying and sad. Especially considering how much faith people put in past famitsu scores.

Is just another mentality, I am sure nobody there think they are fooling anyone. Famitsu is just the voice of the industry and that has been always like that, they publish a ton of information about games so players can know them or offer guides to help players with them, that is the purpose of the magazine as far as I see. The problem is when you try to apply the standards of a west magazine to Famitsu.

If a japanese player want some real critic, I think he go to 2CH. I have heard Dengeki does proper reviews, but not sure about it.

Jonnyram

Oh man, riot act so soon? Looks like a great start to the new year.

Incidentally, not 360 related, but MotorStorm has been delayed for a week.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Jonnyram said:
Oh man, riot act so soon? Looks like a great start to the new year.

Damn, we were counting on this game for gamersyde diaries 3 :(

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jonnyram said:

Hmm, that's cutting it tight for importers to get it before Xmas! It'd be nice to have it by then..

Blimblim said:
No asian version announced yet, and no japanese release has been region free until now :/

Hey Blim, have you played EDF3 at all? I was wondering if it was playable by a non japanese speaker. I really want to play it on my JPN 360, but only if I can understand what the hell is going on.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
ChrisAllenFiz said:
Hey Blim, have you played EDF3 at all? I was wondering if it was playable by a non japanese speaker. I really want to play it on my JPN 360, but only if I can understand what the hell is going on.
Nope I didn't play it, sorry.

bloke

It's safe to say FamiX360 logic behind game scoring is even fuzzier than the one of their mother magazine.
LTTP but I see sadass 360 sales of last monthly period are forgotten

1 Dead Rising 8147 (38135)
2 Tenchu 2726 (11135)
3 Ramble Rose XX (platinum) 2609 (2609)
4 Table Tennis 2374 (4046)
5 The Outfit 2357 (2357)
6 Project Sylpheed 2141 (11076)
7 DOA4 2037 (96812)
8 Tomb Raider 1982 (5737)
9 N3 (platinum) 1887 (1887)
10 Ridge Racer 6 1657 (67573)

Angelcurio

Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 - 9/9/8/9 (35/40)
1up= 4.4

+

Sonic the Hedgehog - 7/8/8/7 (30/40)
1up= 5.5, Eurogamer= 2.0

=

money%20hat%20small.jpg

aku:jiki

ChrisAllenFiz said:
Ah ok, from watching vids it looks fairly promising on the english front. Whether to risk it.. hmm.
It's a game about shooting shit. Triggers usually aren't very language sensitive.

LevelNth

Banned
bloke said:
6 Project Sylpheed 2141 (11076)
Ouch, I thought this one would've done a bit better. I wonder if they'll port it to the PS3 sometime next year now, or is it a definite 360 exclusive?

Jonnyram

LevelNth said:
Ouch, I thought this one would've done a bit better. I wonder if they'll port it to the PS3 sometime next year now, or is it a definite 360 exclusive?
It's Xclusive. You can buy my copy if you want, now that I've completed it 12 times :D

pr0cs

PhatSaqs said:
After reading Blims post....... why are Famitsu score threads even allowed anymore :lol

Totally agree, any score posts should be taken as a joke post really.

LevelNth

Banned
Jonnyram said:
It's Xclusive. You can buy my copy if you want, now that I've completed it 12 times :D
Yeah, I thought I remember reading somewhere it was indeed exclusive. And while I'm really eager to play it, I don't have either a Japanese 360 or sufficient knowledge of the language to enjoy your copy as much as I'd like. What are the chances of a localized version sometime soon?

Matt_C

duckroll said:

Now I want to see that! You got to love his style of drawing. I wonder if OXM would include that cover in one of the issues because I would love to have that in my collection when I get an Xbox 360 and Crackdown.

duckroll said:

Am I the only one excited about this?

Lupin III unlockable confirmed for Japanese release? :D

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Can someone please remind people that Famitsu 360 != Famitsu.

Expect Famitsu scores to be a few points lower on most of the titles. They have a reputation to protect (after completely losing all respect due to the Nintendogs all 10s score)

EDIT: (reviewing the 1up comments) Haven't you guys heard Ziff davis (1up) is being bought up by MS... Moneyhats accumulate apparently.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
So Portrait Of Ruin is one point better then Sonic...

Okay........

*note to self - Famitsu is scary...scary, scary, scary*

DRZ

Ok, I know that isn't directly related to this Famitsu £60 thread, but I missed famitsu vote of Jump Ultimate Stars. If someone can post it I'll appreciate very much.

Thanks!:D

J-Rzez

Jonnyram said:

Delayed?! As in game release date? or review in Famitsu? What's the release date then, I have the 7th... please still be the 7th :(

DRZ said:
Ok, I know that isn't directly related to this Famitsu £60 thread, but I missed famitsu vote of Jump Ultimate Stars. If someone can post it I'll appreciate very much.

Thanks!:D

not reviewed yet, should come out in a few days.
If i recall, the first game got 34/40.

Top Bottom