• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's Japanese magazine news (Sponsored by MS)

jarrod

Banned
Also, in other 360 shooter news, insertcredit is reporting Moss has a 360 shooter in the works too. Is 360 destined to become the next shmup platform of choice?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jarrod said:
Also, in other 360 shooter news, insertcredit is reporting Moss has a 360 shooter in the works too. Is 360 destined to become the next shmup platform of choice?
I hope not, as Japanese games are not region free.

While I doubt it, PS3 would be the best selection for everyone.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
There's bound to be workarounds eventually, just like DC/PS2. I think PS3 makes more sense for a multitude of reasons, though I wouldn't undercount Wii either (Milestone's got a Wii shooter penciled in for summer 2007, probably Karous).

Anyway, counting them up so far...

Xbox 360
-Senko no Ronde Rev. X (G.Rev)
-tba shooter (MOSS)
-tba shooter (Treasure)
-tba shooter (Warashi)

Wii
-tba shooter (Milestone)

PlayStation 3
-n/a

dark10x said:

While I doubt it, PS3 would be the best selection for everyone.

I'm really interested in seeing which system Cave chooses to develop for. I imagine they will go for the PS3 just as they did the PS2 last-gen but wherever they go the developers/shooter fans tend to follow.

And someone needs to develop a workaround for Japanese games on the X360. I don't think I have the patience to wait for the (rumored)US release of EDF3.

duckroll

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I'm really interested in seeing which system Cave chooses to develop for. I imagine they will go for the PS3 just as they did the PS2 last-gen but wherever they go the developers/shooter fans tend to follow.

So why are there more shmup releases on the DC than on the PS2? Aside from bigger budget titles and Cave shmups, no one seemed to "follow" that lead. :D

Blimblim

The Inside Track
duckroll said:
So why are there more shmup releases on the DC than on the PS2? Aside from bigger budget titles and Cave shmups, no one seemed to "follow" that lead. :D
It's as simple as the dev kits being much cheaper for DC and especially X360 (MS gives them almost for free in Japan). Sony has no real reason to give away their dev kits like that for the moment.

toypop

duckroll said:

Several reasons.

*Basically most of shmups are targeted for arcades.
*Naomi system board is still major around arcades in japan.
(both GD rom and systems are cheap for)
*DC still has certain fanbase of shmups.
*Since naomi and DC are virtually same hardware, porting to DC is pretty easy for them.
They don't need to be hassle with PS2 porting. it's cost-effective.
*wannabe last DC games.

Cave is another story. they have their own system board.(IGN/PGM system)

duckroll said:

I was just going by what Cave does as they are considered the major player in the shmup world today. Threads related to them are the only ones that seem to get past one page in this forum.

I expect most shooters to appear on the 360. Even though it's obviously not going to be a huge success the genre itself is still fairly niche. Even the infinite PS2 userbase had no shooters sell over a million copies (Mushihime was probably the highest I think..hell it actually got a reprint which is surprising in itself). Also being cheap to develop for is always a benefit considering the average budget of a 2D shooter.

bloke

jarrod said:
Xbox 360
-Senko no Ronde Rev. X (G.Rev)
-tba shooter (MOSS)
-tba shooter (Treasure)
-tba shooter (Warashi)
AlfaSystem is working on 360 game for some time now, should be revealing it soon, it's possible that it is Shikigami No Shiro game. Also there was Cave TBA game on some early japanese 3rd party list of 360 games.

duckroll

bloke said:
AlfaSystem is working on 360 game for some time now, should be revealing it soon, it's possible that it is Shikigami No Shiro game.

I hope not! I'm a fan of AlfaSystem's quirky stuff, but not their shmups. :(

Dead or Alive 4 (Xbox 360, Tecmo): 10 / 10 / 9 / 10 - (39/40)
Ninety-Nine Nights (Xbox 360, Microsoft): 8 / 8 / 8 / 7 - (31/40)

Bebpo

Banned
Merovingian said:
And for a RPg buff you don't seem to be much interested in Blue Dragon, i wonder why.

I am excited about Blue Dragon as next-gen rpgs, if done well, can be awesome new experiences. Plus I'm a huge Uematsu fan and I like Toriyama's monster art (not a fan of his humans though). That being said I'm not letting myself get overhyped for BD because I don't want to be let down if it turns out to be not that great of a game. I don't trust Sakaguchi AT ALL; the man hasn't made a modern day rpg in his life and nothing has indicated that he knows how, I don't trust Artoon much after the games they've done (though I hear Yoshi's Island is great; haven't opened mine yet), and of course I never trust Famitsu rpg scores. So...right now I'm going into with reserved anticipation. Hopefully the game is excellent and joins the ranks of the other great rpgs this year: VP2/XSep3/P3/Mother3.

I still expect RGG2 to be the better game though :p

duckroll

Soutahouse is now listing that there are three Code Geass (Sunrise anime) games in development: one for the Wii, one for the PSP and one for the DS.

It also reports that Lost Odyssey is due in July 2007. I wonder if they can make the game not be laughable by then... hopefully!

Hey Jonny, any luck with the mag? Where are our scans! The people are hungry! :D

Busaiku

Stormbringer said:
Oh, who the hell am I kidding ? Someone call the anti-loli patrol !
Though I can't read much Japanese, I'd think those are men (on account of the box next to them mentions "Okama").

duckroll

Busaiku said:
Though I can't read much Japanese, I'd think those are men (on account of the box next to them mentions "Okama").

okama is a Japanese anime designer. He just has a funky name to throw off people that can't read Japanese. :p

Maxrpg said:
for DQS? The character design is insane. Well done Toriyama.

Yes, for DQS.

Love the character design too, but then again, I love every character and monster design Toriyama throws out.

LevelNth

Banned
Holy crap, that female design in DQS is the first Toriyama human design I actually like since... well pretty much since forever. Hopefully he keeps this up for DQIX.

Choabac

duckroll said:
Lost Planet - 9/9/8/8 (34/40)

Huh? 1up claimed it was:

[url=http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155572]1up[/url] said:
Capcom's Lost Planet was reviewed in the latest issue of Famitsu Xbox 360. It received 9, 9, 9, and 8 from the Japanese magazine.

Also, what the hell is Famituu?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
LevelNth said:
Holy crap, that female design in DQS is the first Toriyama human design I actually like since... well pretty much since forever. Hopefully he keeps this up for DQIX.

yes...that girl rocks :D

Blimblim

The Inside Track
LevelNth said:
Yeah it's an interesting blend between Toriyama's usual style and more modern stuff for the hair especially. Nice too see him finally doing something a bit different.
For some reason it reminds me of Nana.

Oops, I missed DQS. Are those characters artworks from Toriyama? I'm seriously shocked, I didn't get any DB feeling with them...which is surprising coming from Toriyama.

ToD2 scan...I know we have the direct-feed pics already but I like scans...well I like tales scans to say the truth :p

Junpei Heat

Um...since Jump scans are showing up here:

page115.jpg

Top Bottom