• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's JP mag news: Beautiful Katamari Damacy

haircut

DCharlie said:
huh?

so - because X360 isn't popular in Japan they should just give all the games 4's ???
Isn't it widely believed that Famitsu reviews are based on moneyhats and or what their audience wants to read? So they are either being paid for these scores or they really want their readership to give these games a chance? Either of these scenarios are futile.

Whether that's true or not these games aren't going to help the system, even if they are THAT good (haven't played them) which is a shame, and reminds me of the meaninglessness of all pursuits. So that's what I mean when I ask "What's the point?" I wasn't implying the scores were too high.

mugwhump

underfooter said:
I hated the controls in the first Katamari. It was a fun game, but it just seemed like the way to roll around was counter-intuitive.

If the PS3 version uses the motion control, then that is a huge plus (and another reason for me to choose PS3 over 360).
I agree.

Brak

ICallItFutile said:
Hopefully BKD will be better then the We <3 Katamari. I loved the original...We <3 Katamari not so much.
Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with the second one. Maybe with a new guy at the helm it will rebound.

lupin23rd

Obviously whoever gave RW a 7 realized this title SHOULD have been a Tactics Ogre game, not a FF game.

Matsuno guest review?

m

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
underfooter said:
I hated the controls in the first Katamari. It was a fun game, but it just seemed like the way to roll around was counter-intuitive.

If the PS3 version uses the motion control, then that is a huge plus (and another reason for me to choose PS3 over 360).
I'm sorry but twisting my wrists to play Katamari does NOT sound more fun than using the analog sticks.

ethelred

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I'm sure RW is fine and the check was just a little late.

Um, no. Famitsu is a very reliable arbiter of quality, which is why it's the most respected review magazine in Japan. If they say the game sucks, it sucks.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Isn't it widely believed that Famitsu reviews are based on moneyhats and or what their audience wants to read? So they are either being paid for these scores or they really want their readership to give these games a chance? Either of these scenarios are futile

Whether that's true or not these games aren't going to help the system, even if they are THAT good (haven't played them) which is a shame, and reminds me of the meaninglessness of all pursuits. So that's what I mean when I ask "What's the point?" I wasn't implying the scores were too high..

Rainbow 6 really is that good :)
I doubt half the readers of famitsu care about the x360 - although if more and more games like R6 (a legitimately great game) keep getting these sort of scores, then some people might start to notice (maybe?)

There has been a significant attitude change it would seem in Japan - i -still- think MS are in a very bad way here, but it's in no way the same shape as it was prior to PS3 launch. MS need to capitalise now before the PS3 takes off next year.

They won't 'win' or anything like that - but if they can use the X360 as the point where they started to become accepted in the Japanese mindset then X720 will have a much better shot at taking a more substantial market share (rather than the 25-30% it has vs. PS3 in Japan right now ;) )

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
famitsu is a reliable producer of horribly inflated scores for square games and ds games, and if they say revenant wings is merely good, well...

Mar

Katamari!

omgninjas.gif

StephaneC

drohne said:
famitsu is a reliable producer of horribly inflated scores for square games and ds games, and if they say revenant wings is merely good, well...
??? nintendogs, animal crossing, FF12 (40/40), Final Fantasy III (34/40), Final Fantasy X (39/40)

ethelred said:
Um, no. Famitsu is a very reliable arbiter of quality, which is why it's the most respected review magazine in Japan. If they say the game sucks, it sucks.

I don't think I can tell between your sincere opinion or your cynical sarcasm anymore.

TreIII

Chris Michael said:
I don't think I can tell between your sincere opinion or your cynical sarcasm anymore.

Then that means he's doing his just doing his job... :lol

lupin23rd said:
Obviously whoever gave RW a 7 realized this title SHOULD have been a Tactics Ogre game, not a FF game.

Matsuno guest review?

And :lol again. But any way, if this is as close as I'm going to get to a "new" Ogre Battle-type game, I suppose I can take it...I'll look forward to this game within the next week and some change. ^^

tokkun

ethelred said:

That's very true. Unfortunately half the time they say a game is good, it sucks.

klee123

ethelred said:

I dunno if you're joking or not, but I thought God Hand and Fist of the North star were awesome. If I listened to Famitsu, I would have missed out on such awesome games.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Jonnyram said:
Chanter # is based on PC version. Chars, visuals and scenario all being greatly expanded. Main theme by Kotoko, ending theme by Hiromi Sato.
The choices of which games they port confuse me sometimes...

I'm assuming the OP is still a piacere then, which is nice.

Brak said:
Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with the second one. Maybe with a new guy at the helm it will rebound.

Wow. At this moment I hate you more than anyone on the planet.

Ignoring the complete perfection of the second game, suggesting that some random idiot could be placed in charge of the IP and do a better job than its creator is not only insane, but maliciously insane. It devalues the series, it devalues the fans, and it devalues other people's opinion of you. I hope you seek psychiatric help in the future before you again decide to voice an opinion.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Hey, now that FF12RW sucks, it won't be hard to get a copy. Right? ><;

TreIII

klee123 said:
I dunno if you're joking or not, but I thought God Hand Fist of the North star were awesome. If I listened to Famitsu, I would have missed out of such awesome games.

...^^; *points back to Pureauthor's post*

But any way, the ground rule here, is to remember to make sure that you can think for yourself. The reviews of Famitsu, Dengeki, as well as their many equivalents all the world over, are just the opinions of yet another bunch of guys (and girls?), who each have their own tastes.

They(Famitsu) gave FFXII a perfect score. To this day, I still can't bring myself to see what they saw in that game that made it seem like it was mana from on high. I loved God Hand, and yet, they hated its guts.

We may see eye to eye sometimes, but there will be plenty more where we don't. I'm eager to see how close of a correlation there will be for when I get to play RW for myself.

BobJustBob said:
Wow. At this moment I hate you more than anyone on the planet.

Ignoring the complete perfection of the second game, suggesting that some random idiot could be placed in charge of the IP and do a better job than its creator is not only insane, but maliciously insane. It devalues the series, it devalues the fans, and it devalues other people's opinion of you. I hope you seek psychiatric help in the future before you again decide to voice an opinion.
Uh? The creators are many times surpassed by their succesors. See Tomb Raider: Legend.

Crypto

Banned
Despite the simple style of the game, I hope they've improved the graphics A LITTLE at least.

Better curves, lighting, maybe some nice shader effects to make materials look different from one another...

Heck, they could even add in more realistic physics (but not mess up what they got right).

If it's just PS2 in HD resolution, it will be a bit disappointing.

dili

klee123 said:
I dunno if you're joking or not, but I thought God Hand Fist of the North star were awesome. If I listened to Famitsu, I would have missed out of such awesome games.
Agreed on both. And killer7! The hate famitsu had for God Hand and killer7 was unbelievable. Incredible games. And both ended up being 2 of my favorite games of last gen.

Oneself

I couldn't care less for Katamari being online... rankings in mm for each level would be nice enough. I just want to controls not to suck. Make it sixaxised Namco, don't **** this up.

Crypto

Banned
You know, HDR could probably look pretty decent in the game, as long as they don't bloom up the graphics bad.

Yes, some nice HDR, and tons of AA and AF, would look great.

Speevy said:
Does the hypothetical Wii version of Katamari Damacy work like I think it does, with players performing the spastic "wind up the kite" motion?

If so, better that they spend a little more time with it.
Did you just hypothesize a potential method of control... solely to insult it?

ethelred said:
Um, no. Famitsu is a very reliable arbiter of quality, which is why it's the most respected review magazine in Japan.

A perfect score for Vagrant Story makes me doubt the truth of your statement.

Futureman said:
Never played the series. Get the first one for PS2?

Hell yes. Grab them both for cheap.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
I know nobody cares about this stuff, but these are all the new DS games in the new Famitsu. The state of DS software in Japan fascinates me.

Annotated World History B Supervised By Yamakawa Publishing -- Bandai-Namco
Annotated Japanese History B Supervised By Yamakawa Publishing -- Bandai-Namco
Shall We Try Some Fortune-Telling? DS -- Hudson
Archime DS -- Skip ("Comedy Training" game)
Kaku-chan-Style Muscle Training Navigator Anywhere -- Marvelous
Keizo Kuroda's Wonderful Transformation Make-Up Navigator -- Dorasu
Let's Read Books! THE Ryunosuke Akutagawa -- Dorasu
Let's Read Books! THE Takuboku Ishikawa -- Dorasu
Let's Read Books! THE Unique Authors -- Dorasu
Let's Read Books! THE Osamu Dazai -- Dorasu
Let's Read Books! THE Soseki Natsume -- Dorasu
Let's Read Books! THE Kenji Miyazawa -- Dorasu
Wonderful Every Day! Hello Kitty's Life Kit -- Dorasu
Happy Every Day! Kimimaro Ayanokoji's Life Kit -- Dorasu
Kanako Miura's Cute Original Nail Art Navigator -- Dorasu
Everybody's Shiatsu Navigator Supervised By The Japan Shiatsu Practitioner Association -- Dorasu

I mean, seriously. Can you say imminent video game crash...?

ethelred

Aokage said:
I know nobody cares about this stuff, but these are all the new DS games in the new Famitsu. The state of DS software in Japan fascinates me.

Annotated World History B Supervised By Yamakawa Publishing -- Bandai-Namco
Annotated Japanese History B Supervised By Yamakawa Publishing -- Bandai-Namco
Shall We Try Some Fortune-Telling? DS -- Hudson
Archime DS -- Skip ("Comedy Training" game)
Kaku-chan-Style Muscle Training Navigator Anywhere -- Marvelous
Keizo Kuroda's Wonderful Transformation Make-Up Navigator -- Dorasu
Let's Read Books! THE Ryunosuke Akutagawa -- Dorasu
Let's Read Books! THE Takuboku Ishikawa -- Dorasu
Let's Read Books! THE Unique Authors -- Dorasu
Let's Read Books! THE Osamu Dazai -- Dorasu
Let's Read Books! THE Soseki Natsume -- Dorasu
Let's Read Books! THE Kenji Miyazawa -- Dorasu
Wonderful Every Day! Hello Kitty's Life Kit -- Dorasu
Happy Every Day! Kimimaro Ayanokoji's Life Kit -- Dorasu
Kanako Miura's Cute Original Nail Art Navigator -- Dorasu

Thanks, Nintendo. :/