• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's JP mag news summary thread - can you take it?

B.K.

Hcoregamer00 said:
These are remakes, the DS game is a brand new release.

Tales of Destiny 2 and Tales of Rebirth aren't remakes. There are ports coming, but Namco skipped over the PS2 versions of them for on reason.

MrDaravon

Hcoregamer00 said:
You mean games like the FF4 remake and Wonderful World isn't enough for you?

Yes, I'm sure those two RPGs will last me the entire year, and I will never need to buy another game ever again. Jesus. Also there has been no announcement of WW for the US. Offhand the only DS RPGs that I can think of the US has coming next year is FF4, DQ4r, and DQ9, and I'm not sure if all of those have even been officially announced yet.

Bebpo

Banned
Errr, Innocence is coming to the US.

Tempest would have but it was so shitty they thought it would tarnish the Tales name in the US and lower future sales of the franchise on DS. Plus ToI is 3d. The only games that never came over were 2d.

Kyoufu

Wow at the PSP scores! Never even heard of the pixel game I don't think.

LO got a good score but wait so did BD so I don't trust you Famitsu.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
DS | Hana to Taiyou to Ame to (With flowers, sun and rain)
MMV, Spring 2008
- port of PS2 game announced in 2001
- more than 50 new mysteries
Another grasshopper game? Well, I hope it's good. :D

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
B.K. said:
Tales of Destiny 2 and Tales of Rebirth aren't remakes. There are ports coming, but Namco skipped over the PS2 versions of them for on reason.

The reason is that they are stupid.

Simple as that, Namco made a lot of shitty decisions, and the worst one is not releasing the PSP ports/remakes of the older tales games.

Bebpo

Banned
Kyoufu said:

BD deserved a 37/40.

MrDaravon

Bebpo said:
Errr, Innocence is coming to the US.

Tempest would have but it was so shitty they thought it would tarnish the Tales name in the US and lower future sales of the franchise on DS. Plus ToI is 3d. The only games that never came over were 2d.

Where did you get that Innocence is coming to the US?

Also Bebpo's right, we only haven't gotten the 2D remakes. From what I've heard TotW: Radiant Mythology did TERRIBLE in the US, so they have even less incentive to release ToD2/Rebirth here, but the DS is a totally different ballgame than the PSP.

mutsu

しかし ページは からっぽだった!

This is hiliarious (for those who have played Japanese DQ games) :lol :lol :lol :lol

ethelred

SailorDaravon said:
Yes, I'm sure those two RPGs will last me the entire year, and I will never need to buy another game ever again. Jesus. Also there has been no announcement of WW for the US. Offhand the only DS RPGs that I can think of the US has coming next year is FF4, DQ4r, and DQ9, and I'm not sure if all of those have even been officially announced yet.

Offhand... Crystal Chronicles, FF4, Wonderful World, DQ9, DQ4, FFT A2, EO2, Shiren, KH 178, Sonic.

Kyoufu

Bebpo said:
BD deserved a 37/40.

I'm not really going to argue which game deserves a famitsu score because famitsu scores are worthless to begin with, but if it was me reviewing BD, I would not give it 37/40.

Bebpo

Banned
SailorDaravon said:

Also Bebpo's right, we only haven't gotten the 2D remakes. From what I've heard TotW: Radiant Mythology did TERRIBLE in the US, so they have even less incentive to release ToD2/Rebirth here, but the DS is a totally different ballgame than the PSP.

I have no proof, but I think it's a shoe-in just like DQIVr and FFIVr.

I mean really, 99.9% of rpgs come to the US these days. It's a rare exception that a good rpg doesn't come over.

Jonnyram

DS | Culdcept DS
Sega, 2008
- all cards being reviewed, lots of new cards added
- all chars that were in Culdcept Expansion have been redrawn
- lots of new Cepter symbols added on the board
- including new cards, there are now more than 370 cards
- based on PS version of Culdcept Expansion
- also includes the "achievements" included in the series since "Second"
- no gimmicks that move the maps but thinking about including in versus maps
- since it's the first portable version, they want users to try versus, and are not including a new story mode

Eek, off for lunch. I'm sure Mandoric will cover in the meantime :)

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
DS | Culdcept DS
Sega, 2008
- since it's the first portable version, they want users to try versus, and are not including a new story mode

No story mode is :(

But it'll probably be better than the X360 version as I'm guessing it'll play a lot quicker.

Hcoregamer00

SailorDaravon said:

Yeah, it doesn't help that the PSP has horrible software sales caused by the P word.

I was laughing my ass off when I saw a thread on GameFAQ's where they were prediction sales threads, and a guy thought it would sell a million copies. Forget a million, forget a hundred thousand.

If a high quality game like Abyss will sell like shit on the highest selling platform of all time, then there is no way in hell that a side story fanservice game would sell half as much.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Jonnyram said:
DS | Culdcept DS
Sega, 2008
Please be localized!

h3ro

I'm really excited about LO... but why do I get the feeling this score was given out of respect for Gooch and Uematsu...

What makes me skeptical is that the 360 Famitsu team gave it lower scores...

Oh, and WOW @ Uncharted!! Drakes Shicksal FTW!

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
ethelred said:
Offhand... Crystal Chronicles, FF4, Wonderful World, DQ9, DQ4, FFT A2, EO2, Shiren, KH 178, Sonic.

I could see DQV coming out here next year, too. Does IX even have a japanese date yet?

Jonnyram said:
DS | Culdcept DS
Sega, 2008
Sounds like AWESOME.

Jiggy

Tales of the World has been owning my life in 5-hour spurts ever since I got a PSP, so those Tales of Innocence scores make me pretty happy.

Edit: Culdcept also sounds good!

Kyoufu

Hcoregamer00 said:
If a high quality game like Abyss will sell like shit on the highest selling platform of all time, then there is no way in hell that a side story fanservice game would sell half as much.

Wasn't Abyss released near FFXII and also marketed poorly? I always thought those were the reasons as to why it sold poorly.

Mandoric

Banned
Ghiren's Greed: the Menace of Axis (PSP, 2008/2/7)
*ZZ, CCA scenarios added
* Federation, Zeon, AEUG, Titans, Axis selectable at start; can start play from the Gryps Conflict

jay

Jonnyram said:
DS | Culdcept DS
Sega, 2008

Eek, off for lunch. I'm sure Mandoric will cover in the meantime :)

There goes another thousand hours of my life...assuming it's localized.

Wilsongt

I purchased my X360 for the sole purpose of LO looming on the horizon. The Famitsu scores better be more than just check based!

If not... Mass Effect and Blue Dragon have been delightful experiences.

Hcoregamer00

Kyoufu said:
Wasn't Abyss released near FFXII and also marketed poorly? I always thought those were the reasons as to why it sold poorly.

Abyss had a lot going against it.

It was also sold after a HORRIBLE tales game, and the best selling north american tales game ever was on another console.

MrDaravon

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yeah, it doesn't help that the PSP has horrible software sales caused by the P word.

I was laughing my ass off when I saw a thread on GameFAQ's where they were prediction sales threads, and a guy thought it would sell a million copies. Forget a million, forget a hundred thousand.

Oh I agree, but Namco's fucked up logic will use RM's poor sales to not bother bringing over ToD2/ToR.

harSon

Banned
Kyoufu said:

I often wonder if half the people ragging on Blue Dragon have even given the game a chance, I and several others enjoyed it immensely. Definitely one of the better RPGs around. I'm interested in the details of the Lost Odyssey review, curious to see whether the snippet about the game having 20 hours of cut scenes was correct.

Mandoric

Banned
Musou OROCHI (PSP/Koei/Feb 08)
* A first for PSP Musou, Battle and Story modes can be multiplayed.
* 77 generals plus Orochi and Dakki.
* For a smoother portable feel, cut-ins now don't pause the battle.
* Generals' serifs can now appear in comic-style speech baloons.

Bishman

Jonnyram said:
Game news:

Wii
No More Heroes 9889

Niiiice score for No More Heroes! Must get! 34/40.

RE:UC got a 32/40 a few weeks ago. Two good third party games getting good score = :D .

mutsu

Hcoregamer00 said:
Holy shit, I just noticed that Tales of Innocence is being sold for 6090 yen.

Freaking A, $60 for a DS game!!!

That's rather "normal" for a franchise game on the DS. Not saying it is a good thing though.

Top Bottom