• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's OMGWTF Japanese mag news (Wii Vanillaware game!)

Dascu

Fantastic news for Wii (and DS) owners this week. I just hope Fuurai no Shiren and the Vanillaware game get localized here in Europe.

jiggle

Wow,
Rena looks barely older than Precis now

Jiggy37 said:

-That red-haired girl in two of the battle shots. Either she's a new character, a radical change of design for Celine, or a slight change of Precis.

If u're talking about the topright battleshot, looks like the red snake on Ashton?

Monk

Banned
To buy a psp or not to buy that is the question.

buy... 2 years from now when it gets released in english

Angelo

Star Ocean 2 Remake (PSP)

I want this game so bad. Star Ocean 2 goes to my 20 best JRPG games of all time list, and that’s a big thing coming from a JRPG fanatic.

Now, let’s pray that Square-Enix would actually consider bringing this baby overseas, along with a solid voice acting.

Shouta

jiggle said:
If u're talking about the topright battleshot, looks like the red snake on Ashton?

He's looking at the wrong pic. He thought the first pic was SO2 but it's the SO1 remake in which it would be Milly in the pic.

ethelred

Wow, I love the look of that cyclops. Really nice artwork (as expected). Just like with OS and GG, the use of color is fantastic.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i think its pretty safe to say that anything from vanillaware will look awesome at this point.

oh wow, definitely getting the Star Ocean remakes, they look awesome and I've never played a Star Ocean game before, but from what you guys are saying it looks like i should.

Farore said:
Awesome! :D

And actual scans... more awesome!

oh wow that does indeed look awesome. although i'm wondering, what would such a game (a 2D sprite) look like on the PS3? would it just be higher res sprites, more sprites or i dunno?

Angelo

creamsugar said:
Vanillaware game scan:D

JAWESOME :D

I'm a big fan of the artistic style of Odin Sphere and this one seems to possess the same artistry but obviously with different theme. However I have to say, the muscular female/male character in the right scan freaked me out a little.

Day one purchase for me nevertheless.

Angelo said:
JAWESOME :D

I'm a big fan of the artistic style of Odin Sphere and this one seems to possess the same artistry but obviously with different theme. However I have to say, the muscular female/male character one the right scan freaked me out a little.

Day one purchase for me nevertheless.

oh wow, that is freaky. haha. why don't other developers have such artistic flair in their games, or at least western developers? why aren't there more 2D games? Maybe its difficult to apply such an art style to 3D games (although okami begs to differ).

Enk

makes good threads.
For GAF's viewing pleasure:

van3.jpg
van5.jpg

van7.jpg
van2.jpg

van.jpg
van33.jpg

van8.jpg
van4.jpg

So this is like a Castlevania, but for Wii and more beautiful, eh?

My only gripe is that i cant iamgine responsive Wii-controls with a 2D-game.

reminder

Now THIS is what i want to see on Wii. Looks totally awesome. I hope this comes out in europe. And some publisher should bring over Odin Sphere, too!

lupinko

allen1982 said:
YOU ARE DAMN RIGHT MY FRIEND!!! Can't believe the whole cast and most importantly THE ORIGINALS are back, Sakura, Sumire, and all those awesome characters I used to enjoy so much!! Wow, this is awesome news!!

What irks me is, Hanabi's brother is there, but no Ratchet. ~_~

Yes I know Subaru is a chick or I don't even know anymore, the STV cast was depressing with the exception of Ratchet who is really just a movie character.

EDIT: Fixed Hanabi's brother's name. lol

Enk

makes good threads.
My god there looks to be some actual platforming/exploration in this game! This shot quickly up my list for Miss Game of the Galaxy!

kassatsu

Banned
MasterMFauli said:

Maybe they will port it to ps2 as well.

Hero

Wow, Vanillaware game looks awesome.

You know, seeing that makes me think back to how I was having an argument with someone here.... I think it was Bebpo...about how the 'hardcore JRPG' type games would go to the PS2 instead of the Wii and Odin Sphere was even brought into the discussion.

Gonna go hunt for that post.

MasterMFauli said:

hmm you're right.. i think i'd actually prefer this on a classic controller (maybe it uses that?).

ethelred

MasterMFauli said:

titiklabingapat said:
I just hope there's no shoehorned waggle. Just use the wiimote sideways and cc support.

They've already said it's a waggle-based game. I'm dumbfounded by people advocating that developers put games on the Wii and then explicitly implore them not to use the one differentiating feature that supposedly justifies its massive deficiencies in technological prowess or online capabilities or anything else that defines the current generation of consoles. Christ.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I just hope the game is not plagued with slowdowns, shit I take repeated assets just fine (after all Odin Sphere made me immune to that shit) but not slowdowns.

Top Bottom