• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's OMGWTF Japanese mag news (Wii Vanillaware game!)

Takuhi

Nowhere in this Star Ocean 4 interview does he say that SO4 is only for one platform. He says it's for "hardware that can display beautiful graphics," but beyond that it has not been decided. (He might be hoping for a moneyhat?)

• The game "isn't that far off"
• Specific details on SO4's release will be available by the time people are done playing the SO1 and SO2 remakes
• In its current stage the battles are already playable, but full of placeholder elements
• The story is done, and while he can't talk about its setting yet, there might be some surprises related to that at the TGS. But it won't be so different that characters from other games in the series won't be able to return.
• He concedes that past Star Ocean games have not really felt like they were set in an ocean of stars. In this one you will be able to pilot a ship and travel to different worlds, and while it will retain fantasy elements, it will live up to the series' title more than the previous games in the series have.
• The man and woman in the screenshot are the hero and heroine of the game. As a teaser they placed figures of them in the display at the SE party and he was disappointed that almost no one noticed.
• The heroine's name is Reimi. The hero's name is... (cough) (sputter) EDGE MAVERICK! EDGE FRICKING MAVERICK! Bwahahaha! Seriously!
• There aren't just two or three planets in the galaxy this time. There are more. Sounds like a lot more.
• You can have four companions with you in battle this time. There are a lot of new elements and it doesn't really feel like the battle system of SO3.
• Private Actions will, of course, return.

titiklabingapat said:
I just hope there's no shoehorned waggle. Just use the wiimote sideways and cc support.

that kinda takes away the merit of having it on the wii though... although theres always the large userbase ahem haha, is wii the right demographic actually?

Shouta

Takuhi said:
Nowhere in this Star Ocean 4 interview does he say that SO4 is only for one platform. He says it's for "hardware that can display beautiful graphics," but beyond that it has not been decided. (He might be hoping for a moneyhat?)

• The game "isn't that far off"
• Specific details on SO4's release will be available by the time people are done playing the SO1 and SO2 remakes
• In its current stage the battles are already playable, but full of placeholder elements
• The story is done, and while he can't talk about its setting yet, there might be some surprises related to that at the TGS. But it won't be so different that characters from other games in the series won't be able to return.
• He concedes that past Star Ocean games have not really felt like they were set in an ocean of stars. In this one you will be able to pilot a ship and travel to different worlds, and while it will retain fantasy elements, it will live up to the series' title more than the previous games in the series have.
• The man and woman in the screenshot are the hero and heroine of the game. As a teaser they placed figures of them in the display at the SE party and he was disappointed that almost no one noticed.
• The heroine's name is Reimi. The hero's name is... (cough) (sputter) EDGE MAVERICK! EDGE FRICKING MAVERICK! Bwahahaha! Seriously!
• There aren't just two or three planets in the galaxy this time. There are more. Sounds like a lot more.
• You can have four companions with you in battle this time. There are a lot of new elements and it doesn't really feel like the battle system of SO3.
• Private Actions will, of course, return.

Saved me the trouble of reading! But I'll readi t later as well. Sounds awesome (lol Edge Maverick). Finally the series is gonna live up to it's damn name.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I cant believe it took them 4 games to finally do this.

ethelred said:
They've already said it's a waggle-based game. I'm dumbfounded by people advocating that developers put games on the Wii and then explicitly implore them not to use the one differentiating feature that supposedly justifies its massive deficiencies in technological prowess or online capabilities or anything else that defines the current generation of consoles. Christ.
Eh, like the DS, the Wii will get games that doesnt actually take advantage of waggle and just rely on the userbase as a justification enough to be on the Nintendo platforms. Even Nintendo is somewhat taking a lead by including sideways wiimote/gc/cc support with SSBB.

Do it right or don't do it at all, I say.

Tenbatsu

creamsugar said:
Vanillaware game scan:D

The main blue character reminds me of ゲゲゲの鬼太郎
01.jpg

Shouta

Error said:
I cant believe it took them 4 games to finally do this.

Well, I don't think they could've done it well for SO1 and SO2 but they really should've done it for SO3 especially after all the trailers leading up to the game's announcement and release.

duckroll

From the sounds of things, SO4 will be really outdated by the time it's out. After all, Mass Effect is coming out in November. Oh well, it's not like Tri-Ace didn't have more than enough chances before this. I hope Infinite Undiscovery turns out well.

ethelred

Shouta said:
Well, I don't think they could've done it well for SO1 and SO2 but they really should've done it for SO3 especially after all the trailers leading up to the game's announcement and release.

The opening movie for Star Ocean 3 was awe inspiring -- it really took my breath away. I thought I was in store for a truly majestic game... and I was very disappointed by what was actually on tap.

titiklabingapat said:
Eh, like the DS, the Wii will get games that doesnt actually take advantage of waggle because of and just rely on the userbase as a justification enough to be on the Nintendo platforms. Even Nintendo is somewhat taking a lead by including sideways wiimote/gc/cc support with SSBB.

When your first thought on a new game announcement is "Oh shit, I hope they don't actually use the control method I'm pretending to like," that's not really a good sign.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
ethelred said:
When your first thought on a new game announcement is "Oh shit, I hope they don't actually use the control method I'm pretending to like," that's not really a good sign.
I don't think anyone here has ever pretended to like waggle shoehorned (his words) into RPGs.

I don't think anyone here has ever pretended to like waggle shoehorned (his words) into RPGs.

"Waggle" in RPGs could be great. 3D-RPGs, that is.
And this game seems to be a lot like Castlevania. The wiimote´s full potential can only be used in full 3d imo. If there´s no big positiv feedback, i hope they include CC-controls.

That Vanillaware game looks pretty awesome.

ethelred said:
They've already said it's a waggle-based game. I'm dumbfounded by people advocating that developers put games on the Wii and then explicitly implore them not to use the one differentiating feature that supposedly justifies its massive deficiencies in technological prowess or online capabilities or anything else that defines the current generation of consoles. Christ.
Why? It works pretty well for DS.

Takuhi

MasterMFauli said:
"Waggle" in RPGs could be great. 3D-RPGs, that is.
And this game seems to be a lot like Castlevania. The wiimote´s full potential can only be used in full 3d imo. If there´s no big positiv feedback, i hope they include CC-controls.

In the article it makes a big deal about how there are two play modes, one for experienced gamers who demand exact, precise controls, and one for fucktards who want to wave around their Wiimote and jam on buttons and see cool shit happen.

Nor sure how much waggle would be in the precise mode, but it can't be all that much, right?

ethelred said:

You're usually more level headed than this. This game is a 2d game. There is probably no way a full on waggle other than the pointer capability can enhance the experience of the game other than shaking the wiimote, a la throwing bombs on Metal Slug, which was horrible.

They *could* design it around the pointer and the wiimote+nunchuk button placements but not rely on waggle and still take advantage of the wiimote.

That said, the art and screens are FANTASTIC. More games like this on the Wii, please! I wanna see Vanillaware do a whole bunch of these games using mythologies of other cultures just for the visuals. I hope they do Greek, Meso-American and Egyptian mythologies next!

Takuhi said:
In the article it makes a big deal about how there are two play modes, one for experienced gamers who demand exact, precise controls, and one for fucktards who want to wave around their Wiimote and jam on buttons and see cool shit happen.

Nor sure how much waggle would be in the precise mode, but it can't be all that much, right?

That's good to hear. This is still a hardcore game and they are the ones most averse to gimmicky waggle. I just know that this game will get panned endlessly if waggle(not so well done kind) was the only option.

Takuhi said:

I thought the talk abotu these modes simply means that there are different difficulties, one for fast fun, another fun for hardcore-gamers.

2D Waggle would be awesome for an "Abuse"-Like Jump'n'Shoot where you have a cursor. Maybe in this game you aim for the Magic etc...

Jonnyram said:
Guan Yu's hair; Dian Wei's facial tattoo; Xu Chu still looks like an infant. Between either the lack of changes (also see Cao Cao) or how even more stylish they're getting (also see Lu Meng), I'm not digging the art changes.

I'd be pleased if, for once, they'd emply the more traditional Three Kingdoms character art.

allen1982

Banned
:Motorbass said:
2D Waggle would be awesome for an "Abuse"-Like Jump'n'Shoot where you have a cursor. Maybe in this game you aim for the Magic etc...

the article says you will be using the Wiimote as both a sword and ninja star so there could be ninja star aiming and waggling. but i bet it will be just flick the wiimote to throw a ninja star type of deal

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Damn.. loving the art design in Vanillaware's RPG. It's like a perfect mixture of feudal Japan with the mysticism of the old tales.

Takuhi

MasterMFauli said:
I thought the talk abotu these modes simply means that there are different difficulties, one for fast fun, another fun for hardcore-gamers.

I think they're saying that it exceeds the breadth of a standard difficulty select by actually changing the way the game plays. As you say, the one mode is simple and fast, while the other is for hardcore gamers who like games with precise controls. But unless I'm mistaken, 遊び方や操作までは変化 is promising that the actual game controls are different.

I'm guessing from the text block to the left that simple/fast uses just one or two context-sensitive buttons and hadcore/precise actually maps out all the different moves.

There's another totally awesome 2D game in that issue of Famitsu we haven't seen yet.
C'mon, lets see some Shikigami no Shiro III scans, please?

Pretty please?

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Yeah, the Vanillaware looks so freaking great. First day purchase for me probably. Its chances of sucking are probably pretty slim.

Teasel

the new vanillaware game looks cool but i hope i don't have to fight that blue cyclops 5 time before finishing the game... that said
HOLY CRAP SHIREN 3 BRING THIS TO THE US RIGHT NOW OR FACE THE HORRIBLE CONSEQUENCES

Zomg @ Vanillaware's game. Definitely looks like a cross between Odin Sphere and Okami like someone said. Gorgeous.

The Star Ocean remakes look fantastic. Nice score for Crisis Core.

Neomoto

Holy shit, thatVanillaware game looks fcking awesome!
Fuurai no Shiren 3 and Shikigami no Shiro 3 show great potential. Finally more and more Japanse third party's are coming with awesomeness to the Wii.

manzo

I'm quitely crying inside about the Vanillaware Wii game: I can now kiss my dreams of a 2D 720p/1080p Vanillaware action rpg goodbye.

Oh well, I hope this comes across the pond, I'll pick it up if it comes.. unless you can play japanese imports on a modded US Wii. I will mod the Wii I'm getting soon if this is possible.

Still I can't understand: Kamitani stated that they draw the sprites in high res, but why can't they port this to PS3 and 360? Why make it Wii only?

manzo said:
I'm quitely crying inside about the Vanillaware Wii game: I can now kiss my dreams of a 2D 720p/1080p Vanillaware action rpg goodbye.

Oh well, I hope this comes across the pond, I'll pick it up if it comes.. unless you can play japanese imports on a modded US Wii. I will mod the Wii I'm getting soon if this is possible.

Still I can't understand: Kamitani stated that they draw the sprites in high res, but why can't they port this to PS3 and 360? Why make it Wii only?
Checking the weekly media create threads might answer alot of your inquiries.

Error

do people really expect Vanillaware (a company that has like 13 people working) to suddenly churn out Hi-res 2d games for PS3/360?

manzo

titiklabingapat said:
Checking the weekly media create threads might answer alot of your inquiries.

Should it have anything to do with sales, we would be seeing the game on DS.

manzo

Error said:
do people really expect Vanillaware (a company that has like 13 people working) to suddenly churn out Hi-res 2d games for PS3/360?

Like I said, they ALREADY ARE in Hi-res.

Error

Im just glad we are getting more vanillware shit, after the bombas that were OS and GG I thought they were dead.

Top Bottom