• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's OMGWTF Japanese mag news (Wii Vanillaware game!)

Whoaness

Banned
Well, Vanillaware is a starting company so they'd have to go for smaller budgets. I'm wondering if they would consider a PS2 version.

I'm somewhat disappointed because I really don't want an Odin Sphere type game controlled by waggle slashing. I doubt I could do the hardcore no-hp level up Odin Sphere gaming with the Wii interface.

HylianTom

Banned
Wow.. great news to wake-up to!

King's Story last week, and now..
Vanillaware game this week.

What is this weird feeling I'm experiencing? Is this.. is it.. hope? Actual, honest-to-Nayru hope that third parties are slowly awakening?! Wow. It feels good!

(And note to self: bitter tears make for a delicious dessert-like topping for pancakes and waffles.) :D

M3d10n

manzo said:
I'm quitely crying inside about the Vanillaware Wii game: I can now kiss my dreams of a 2D 720p/1080p Vanillaware action rpg goodbye.

Oh well, I hope this comes across the pond, I'll pick it up if it comes.. unless you can play japanese imports on a modded US Wii. I will mod the Wii I'm getting soon if this is possible.

Still I can't understand: Kamitani stated that they draw the sprites in high res, but why can't they port this to PS3 and 360? Why make it Wii only?

Making console 2D games nowadays is considered grade A risk, even for Japanese publishers. That's why Iga & co. keep dodging the bullet when it comes to console 2D Castlevania.

Putting said 2D games on consoles marketed and priced as "CGI powerhouses capable of life-like graphics" roughly doubles the risk. Also, the fact that said consoles aren't selling as well in Japan boosts the risks even further.

Whoaness

Banned
M3d10n said:
Making console 2D games nowadays is considered grade A risk, even for Japanese publishers. That's why Iga & co. keep dodging the bullet when it comes to console 2D Castlevania.

Putting said 2D games on consoles marketed and priced as "CGI powerhouses capable of life-like graphics" roughly doubles the risk. Also, the fact that said consoles aren't selling as well in Japan boosts the risks even further.

Yerrr too many casuals wanting to see 3D it makes me kind of sad. I mean, what you said, it applied to Okami. It was excellent and it got killed by sales.

Sad panda insert here.

On the side note about 2D Castlevania, I'm pretty sure the franchise name would give it sales and the DS and soon to be PSP fanbase translates well to consoles. 2.5D that is in Dracula X Chronicles doesn't look too shabby. I'd rather have a side scroller than..... Curse of Darkness. Which was okay but soooo unpolished.

I...I wet my pants like 4 times...SO, SO2, SO4, Vanilla's game....just wow.

Very suspicious move with SO4...I wonder if they are waiting to see how Last Remnant does before deciding, it doesn't look like SO4 is going to be out even during 2008.

creamsugar said:
Vanillaware game scan:D

Acc... It's really awesome. A Third Party Wii game that looks great ?!?? I'm really surprised. Maybe because FINALLY someone has understood that Wii need art design and not brute realistic graphics...

Weisheit said:
WII 3,470,422
PS3 1,101,412
360 404,425

Does this answer your question?

Richtig !

icecream

Public Health Threat
Pureauthor said:
I just wanna know where the eventual VP3 comes out to.
Most likely PS3, knowing how heavy S-E's role in VP2's development was.

And wow, those Vanillaware scans are awesome. :D

ST DS I'm going to wait and see, I'm still not sold on how it's actually going to work. A dungeon RPG sounds like less ADV and more game to me.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
vanillaware fuckin rules. i haven't actually played my copy of odin sphere yet, but the pace at which they're releasing gorgeous 2d games gives the lie to all the bigger developers who exaggerate the difficulty, recycle like mad, or deny us 2d games altogether. i won't name any names.

on a totally unrelated note, koji igarashi.

Teasel

drohne said:
i haven't actually played my copy of odin sphere
gives the lie to all the bigger developers who recycle like mad
000000034785.jpg

your honor these two statement contradict each other

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Takuhi said:
Nowhere in this Star Ocean 4 interview does he say that SO4 is only for one platform. He says it's for "hardware that can display beautiful graphics," but beyond that it has not been decided. (He might be hoping for a moneyhat?)

• The game "isn't that far off"
• Specific details on SO4's release will be available by the time people are done playing the SO1 and SO2 remakes
• In its current stage the battles are already playable, but full of placeholder elements
• The story is done, and while he can't talk about its setting yet, there might be some surprises related to that at the TGS. But it won't be so different that characters from other games in the series won't be able to return.
• He concedes that past Star Ocean games have not really felt like they were set in an ocean of stars. In this one you will be able to pilot a ship and travel to different worlds, and while it will retain fantasy elements, it will live up to the series' title more than the previous games in the series have.
• The man and woman in the screenshot are the hero and heroine of the game. As a teaser they placed figures of them in the display at the SE party and he was disappointed that almost no one noticed.
• The heroine's name is Reimi. The hero's name is... (cough) (sputter) EDGE MAVERICK! EDGE FRICKING MAVERICK! Bwahahaha! Seriously!
• There aren't just two or three planets in the galaxy this time. There are more. Sounds like a lot more.
• You can have four companions with you in battle this time. There are a lot of new elements and it doesn't really feel like the battle system of SO3.
• Private Actions will, of course, return.

:bow

Thanks for the translation!

- First and foremost, I hope it retains the ARPG battlesystem, I for one really liked SO3's battlesystem.

-Secondly, lol at "Edge Maverick"

-Lastly, living up to its name? Finally! I liked the past Star Oceans but you would only get a tast of the interplanetary stuff near the end. I'm guessing the game will start out with you already in the know about other living beings inhabiting various planets in the Universe. Not unlike SO3 but you won't be stuck on a fucken Middle Age planet for a good portion of the game!

Cannot wait!

KiticanaX

Banned
Error said:
Im just glad we are getting more vanillware shit, after the bombas that were OS and GG I thought they were dead.

Bomb? Odin Sphere did fairly well actually for what it was. It sold as much if not more then Princess Crown *the game it was shooting for*.

GrimGromorie bombed though. :(

TheWolf said:
Vanillaware title looks great.

commence the bitching about them not doing a game with HD sprites.

Agreed why do people even care? I mean HD doesn't make that much of a difference in a 2D game. Besides I'd much rather have them think of ways to utilize the controller then see a higher resolution.

Holy christ, there's a lot of awesome in this thread. The Vanillaware game looks gorgeous, but how on earth are they managing to crank games out so quickly? They're machines lately.

drohne said:
on a totally unrelated note, koji igarashi.
Heh, well played.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Jonnyram said:
Star Ocean Remake (PSP)

Star Ocean 2 Remake (PSP)

Star Ocean 4 (next-gen)

OMG.... omg omg omg omg omg! SO4 sounds absolutely mindblowing... Vanillaware game also looks shit-hot too, I was kinda worried of the lack of cool next-gen RPGs but looks like those feelings have been put to rest.

duckroll said:

Huh?!?!?!

3D pixels require more volumetric picture information than 2D pixels. Scientists showed in 1991 that the maximum effective 2D resolution is 320x240. Anything higher than that, and the human eye can't discern it.

Synthesizer Patel said:
3D pixels require more volumetric picture information than 2D pixels. Scientists showed in 1991 that the maximum effective 2D resolution is 320x240. Anything higher than that, and the human eye can't discern it.

Interesting. I didn't know that. Who said it ?

Van Gunsteren - Joke :lol

Brofist

Synthesizer Patel said:

:lol

traveler

Not Wario
Vanillaware game looks AWESOME. Love the art style mingled with a classical Japanese theme. It really is Okami + Odin Sphere. :lol

van7.jpg

This, in particular, looks outstanding.

ethelred said:
They've already said it's a waggle-based game. I'm dumbfounded by people advocating that developers put games on the Wii and then explicitly implore them not to use the one differentiating feature that supposedly justifies its massive deficiencies in technological prowess or online capabilities or anything else that defines the current generation of consoles. Christ.

QFT. Guys, this is what you've been waiting on! A game that's built from the ground-up for the Wii remote. Most of the failures have come from developers taking ideas that were developed without the Wii in mind and adding waggle. At least wait and see if they work before you complain. I mean, if you don't won't the element of Wii controls, why should they even bother to put it on the Wii at all?

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Angelo said:
Star Ocean 2 Remake (PSP)

I want this game so bad. Star Ocean 2 goes to my 20 best JRPG games of all time list, and that’s a big thing coming from a JRPG fanatic.

Now, let’s pray that Square-Enix would actually consider bringing this baby overseas, along with a solid voice acting.

This... game.... shall.... be.... mine....

As will SO1. :p

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Anyone else still playing Yosumin? I've got a free levels into having all the colours active a couple of times, and just got my first full screen clearance, as in all 4 corners of the grid were (in this case) yellow. I thought it'd do something cool, like just automatically take me to the next level, but it just made the screen shake and I imagine there was some sort of fanfare or something, I had the sound down.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hopefully they do something with the Wii Controls so it's not "wiggle for slashes x infinity."

Lovely looking game though. It hurts that we probably will never see a Vanillaware game with the art in it's native res (I believe the art used is all 1080p then shrunk down for 480i/p. Least it was for Odin Sphere), but oh well.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
traveler said:
I mean, if you don't won't the element of Wii controls, why should they even bother to put it on the Wii at all?

Cuz it's the now-gen (ugh) market leader.

Top Bottom