• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's Super Awesome Japanese NEWS: STING NEW DS Game "KNIGHTS IN THE NIGHTMARE"

Tailzo

I remember importing evolution for Dreamcast and having a great time with it, so I expect great things of Sting. (It's the same company that made Evolution, right?)

kiryogi

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Sting has officially run out of Wonderswan games to port to the PSP.

Knights in the Nightmare

- the main character is a wisp, a spirit without a body
- the wisp takes controls of knights by charming them and giving orders
- the genre is "turn based RTS"
I'll repeat that one
- the genre is "turn based RTS"
- each turn is time based, there offensives and defensive turns, plays out in realtime
- top screen is graphical, bottom screen is wiremap strategic
- you control the wisp with the touchpen and use it to give knights orders
- demons will aim for the wisp, so you have to avoid them, like in a shooting game
- character designer is that itou guy that did Yggdra
- the heroine is a female knight named Maria
- Planned 2008 release.

Don't you mean the game direction/design is by Itou? Based off the artwork, and its uncanny resemblance to Riviera's style, I'd say its Sunaho Tobe for character design.

edit: also, Riviera was the only wonderswan port. Yggdra Union was a full and original game on the GBA

Jonnyram

TheJollyCorner said:
what is Final Fantasy FESTA! Files?
Umm, it's a pull-out booklet compiling all the information from the Final Fantasy Festa sections published in Famitsu last year, afaik. It said something along those lines in last week's issue anyway. Or did that information somehow get lost in the pipeline last week?

Bebpo

Banned
So stoked for Battle Fantasia. Visually it's everything I ever wanted from the 3d is 2d evolution of 2d fighters and I hear it plays pretty neat too!

Wonder if it'll have online play.

Jirotrom

Bebpo said:
So stoked for Battle Fantasia. Visually it's everything I ever wanted from the 3d is 2d evolution of 2d fighters and I hear it plays pretty neat too!

Wonder if it'll have online play.
I'm pretty excited about the game too... since 360 isn't region free i may jump into ps3 ownership even sooner.

Teknoman

Jonnyram said:
Umm, it's a pull-out booklet compiling all the information from the Final Fantasy Festa sections published in Famitsu last year, afaik. It said something along those lines in last week's issue anyway. Or did that information somehow get lost in the pipeline last week?

Thats it? Hmm before hand everyone was all "Famitsu Final Fantasy issue!", and its just a compilation of info from last year?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Teknoman said:
Thats it? Hmm before hand everyone was all "Famitsu Final Fantasy issue!", and its just a compilation of info from last year?
Is it really surprising? It's not like this is the first time this has happened.

Troidal said:
I wonder which is the better version?

My only guess is that DS may suffer from super-compressed audio, while PSP doesn't have the luxury of dual screen presentations (which I personally love on the DS). Hrm...curious what the Famitsu reviewers had to say on that one.

I want to know more about Space Invaders Extreme too.

Tenbatsu

Stormbringer said:
Winning Eleven Wii review:

- The game plays in an entirely unique fashion (RTS style), and effectively gives entirely unique sensations of gameplay.
-The fact that the game tends to develop more like the real soccer makes it really fun.
-The people who were used to the old control scheme might be puzzled. But because the buttons used in the game are actually so few, it is still accessible.
-The players positions and formations can be easily adjusted.
-Because the players and the cursors can be a bit small, we recommand this game to be played on a large TV.

Score : 9/9/8/9

Winning Eleven (PS2) 9988 (PS3) 9999 (X360) 9999

Oh, well, WE Wii had a good run.

Its a very good score for a huge leap of the first ver in the series, a few more version and the game will be perfection. Remember the first WE?

Bebpo

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
Is this the game that everyone was going ga-ga about a while back when it was announced at TGS?

Yeah, J-GAF was all over it at TGS. They sold me on giving the DS version a shot.

Lobster said:
I thought those versions were horrible :S

And that's another example of why their reviews, especially their scores, must always be taken with a bucket-full of salt, which is something I personally often happen to forget in my excitement...Their text reviews can still be relatively informative though, and can even end up being spot on sometimes, but as a whole, I would avoid basing my opinion of a game solely on these short bit of text...
Oh , well, in the end, I'd say that the moral of all this would be... wait for the Gamespot Eurogamer review. Right guys ?

Haunted

ooh, interesting new DS games.

Stormbringer said:
Winning Eleven Wii review:

- The game plays in an entirely unique fashion (RTS style), and effectively gives entirely unique sensations of gameplay.
-The fact that the game tends to develop more like the real soccer makes it really fun.
-The people who were used to the old control scheme might be puzzled. But because the buttons used in the game are actually so few, it is still accessible.
-The players positions and formations can be easily adjusted.
-Because the players and the cursors can be a bit small, we recommand this game to be played on a large TV.
Fuck yes! That's exactly what I want to hear. Awesome.

ethelred said:
Knights looks fantastic (which isn't a surprise given how great Sting's earlier 2D games looked). And given how Riviera and Yggdra Union were two of the best GBA games, I can't wait to play this. The art's great, too. Looks like some of their best character designs (and they seem older than the prior designs).

I'm actually a bit surprised as I figured their first new portable game would be for the PSP, but I'll take it either way.

Doesn't it say it's an turn-based real time RPG in the genre, though?
Actually, I just start messing around with riviera, and it looks REALLY kludgy and not fun to me, granted I've just started, so jury is still out, but it feels so... I really don't like the screen/room style design combined with those TP, just seem constrictive and needlessly obfuscated to me...

batbeg

The new Sting game sounds pretty cool. I haven't played Riviera or Yggdra Union, but a quick look tells me Riviera PSP is being brought over by 505 Games next month, so I'll definitely have to check that out. Hopefully Yggdra Union can make the move too.

kiryogi

Banned
Wait a minute, what's this about the "Department Heaven" episodes in the upper right for Knights? It seems like Riviera was episode 1, and Yggdra was episode 2. So the games are interconnected?! Actually if you got the bad ending in Yggdra, it seems to lead you to believe it's the prequel to Riviera. If I recall right last night, Knights would be episode 4 in the "Heaven" series.

http://www.sting.co.jp/knights

Oh man, this revelation is great. And also depressing to learn of Yggdra Union.

kiryogi

Banned
Oh and upon even closer look in that little box, it even says "戸部 淑" (Tobe Sunaho) for illustrations!

Haunted One said:
You may not remember the recent interview with both producers of the game, but this is precisely the concept they mentioned in this interview (the fun given by playing a game even more faithful to the real form of soccer), and in fact, I really wouldn't be surprised to see them being entirely right on this, and to see this expression and this concept taken up and confirmed in many other impressions.

Phthisis

ethelred said:
I can't agree with that last part. Absolutely loved the design in Yggdra Union. Extremely refreshing SRPG, I enjoyed the difficulty and the completely innovative mechanics, and it had far and away the best music (and probably best visuals too) on the GBA. At least we both agree that Riviera rocked, though.

I can see why some would like it, but I thought it was too hard for all the wrong reason; namely the fact that the movement and combat system were easily exploitable by the computer. Also those turret AoE attacks were pure laziness as far as design goes.

kiryogi

Banned
Hrrrrrrrrrm. It says "Design Creation: Satoko Kiyuzuki" Interesting! She was the main character designer for Yggdra Union. Also before, Tobe was overlooking her mainly during Yggdra, so is she main character design again? The NPC/char images resemble more like Tobe though. XD

ethelred said:
The first game was announced for localization well before it released in Japan. We still haven't heard confirmation that Etrian Odyssey 2 will be coming over here, though I refuse to believe Nich and his fine coworkers would let us down on this score.

*Throws the switch on the Atlus USA signal*

I don't doubt that they will bring this over it would just be nice to have some osrt of official confirmation. I mean shit, if they're bringing Melty Blood here along with a couple of Success and Sting games...

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
jaundicejuice said:

I don't doubt that they will bring this over it would just be nice to have some osrt of official confirmation. I mean shit, if they're bringing Melty Blood here along with a couple of Success and Sting games...

What? What?

When was this announced?

Joule

jaundicejuice said:

Melty Blood? I think you mean Arcana Heart, which is surprising too.

Kafel

Banned
jiggle said:
Akihiro Hino wants to create a MMORPG or finish the one that was unfinished.

TFLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Microsoft, time to really do something in Japan.

Help this guy to finish TFLO for the 360.

Kafel said:
Microsoft, time to really do something in Japan.

Help this guy to finish TFLO for the 360.
Isn't there still bad blood between Level 5 and Microsoft over what L5 spent MS's TFLO money on after that game got canned.

Jiggy

Knights in the Nightmare looks good.

Etrian Odyssey 2 sounds good; really hoping for a localization after seeing all the praise for the first game.

Obviously for Star Ocean 2 I'll be there day one no matter what when it inevitably gets released in English, but I think it's curious that while Star Ocean 1 had such a number of things changed, that really hasn't been the case for SO2. At the least, nothing on the level of Eris has been shown off yet. But maybe it's just because Star Ocean 2 was a bigger game to begin with and so they've been taking a longer time to reveal even the things that had always been there (like Opera and Ernest)--I don't know.

Although it's hard to make out too much from the Star Soldier R scan, the game will almost surely make me happy.

My hopes are high for Pokemon Ranger 2. My expectations? Not so much. I thought the first one was a good idea with really mediocre execution--but with that said, the sequel is still 2D and it's still on DS, which means I'll likely buy regardless.

I'm glad to see that Sting finally remembered that some people like them for their attempts to bring unique perspective to tired genres and formulas. Whether they'll be able to spring for extra cartridge space and the depressing voice-acting they want to fill that space up with remains to be seen.

I'm not glad to see that they are still fetishizing clutter in handheld games, if those scans are any good indication as to the game's interface. I'm also curious as to why all the character art by that particular artist tends to default to people wondering what to put on their grocery list.

Model 500

Haunted One said:
WE Wii

Exactly, I'm pretty sure EU reviewers will appreciate it even more, the Famitsu text bits are very positive, looks like everything works great :)

DMFO!

kiryogi

Banned
dark steve said:
I'm glad to see that Sting finally remembered that some people like them for their attempts to bring unique perspective to tired genres and formulas. Whether they'll be able to spring for extra cartridge space and the depressing voice-acting they want to fill that space up with remains to be seen.

I'm not glad to see that they are still fetishizing clutter in handheld games, if those scans are any good indication as to the game's interface. I'm also curious as to why all the character art by that particular artist tends to default to people wondering what to put on their grocery list.

Love Sting! And I love the fact they cram so much into the interface. Although, when ported over to a much bigger resolution screen, like the PSP, Riviera/Ygg look a little less suffocating. But I love the clutter, it's as if they're trying to fit every single little piece of detail possible with a very prominent design.

Jonnyram

Mr. Pointy said:
Isn't there still bad blood between Level 5 and Microsoft over what L5 spent MS's TFLO money on after that game got canned.
If you find any fact on the Internet concerning who feels what, please point me to it. AFAIK, it was canned mutually because there was no way it could compete in that climate (tiny xbox audience, FFXI doing very well). No hard feelings either way.

Lots of good stuff this week. Mana Khemia 2 already, eh? NISA is going to have to speed up a bit to get all these Gust games out in time.

wow, lots of niche games announced, I like, I like :)

Knights in the Nightmare looks really awesome (although I don't understand very well the genre, is it like Worms? I love Worms...), I had a good lol at Spectral Force, Battle Fantasia arcade port (I'm not an arcade fan but it surprises me the amount announced in no time), Battle of Sunrise what? Who is behind that? Bandai right? (they should make a True Odyssey sequel, damn hell they should :( ), MANA KHEMIA 2 wow came out of nowhere, I thought Gust would move already, I hope I like the first one so I can look forward another one, at least its not Atelier Iris 4. Also SO2, Musou 2, SRT OG Saga...nice Famitsu issue.

Joule

dark steve said:

I hope that Baroque is as unique as its underlying concepts make it seem. The whole abstract twisted world it's based in and the task of climbing a tower multiple times, with the world/environment changing each subsequent trial is very interesting to me. It is disappointing about the musical change but I hope the game holds up well enough without it.

While I love these Heaven Episodes they're doing, I hope they'll do something like Baroque sometime.

Maybe these Episodes will satisfy my craving for more of the Ogre Battle Saga for a little longer (I'm waiting Matsuno)

Tenbatsu

Model 500 said:
Exactly, I'm pretty sure EU reviewers will appreciate it even more, the Famitsu text bits are very positive, looks like everything works great :)

DMFO!

Finally a WE game that am hype about, its been a while:D

soul

heared there are around 75 pages of past-FF articles, user surveys of best char, etc. None scanned those yet?

Top Bottom