• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This will scare you in the middle of the day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le-mo

I thought that thing was going to pop out of the screen and kill me. My heart literally stopped for a few seconds.

survivor

Banned
In case someone doesn't want to click it but find out what it's about

Basically, it's a girl walking at night when a bloody guy follows her. As you scroll down the comic, the bloody guy's face will jump at you.

It's a screamer or sorts, so fair warning. But it's so well done and unexpected that it's worth a go-through once. Make sure your speakers are on, but not to deafening levels.

Stabbie said:
This is not another screamer, is it?

edit: nm, it is :/

I'd argue its a little more clever than an ear-deafening sound on a youtube video, just because
it uses javascript in a pretty interesting way
. Your mileage and cynicism may vary.

Metroid Killer said:
The artist is brilliant. Even if the art style isn't quite everyone's thing, I love the use of image scale in this one.

This really is Scott McCloud's manifesto on design taking advance of its medium, actually being fulfilled instead of being a series of jpgs that are meant to match the size of standard comic pages.

Wish I could read Korean to navigate the site though.

This got me earlier today, the first time I've actually physically recoiled in horror from my monitor in years. It gave me a really nasty feeling all along my spine. Awesome.

Tragically, if you're expecting how bad it is, there's no way you're going to get the whole effect.

MedIC86 said:
lol, it kinda bugged with my 20 scroll lines xD
Ha!

Through randomized testing and giggles in the workplace, the effectiveness of the page is highly dependent on your browser and method of scrolling through a given webpage.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Man FU- I thought it was one of those but thought maybe it was just a comic after seeing the long scrolling bar

Speaker on max made it uncool :(

Teetris said:
Speaker on max made it uncool :(
The debate on whether or not this is technically a "screamer" highly depends on the volume of what you had been previously been listening to.

And whether or not you're willing to adjust it after the first noise.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
meltingparappa said:
The debate on whether or not this is technically a "screamer" highly depends on the volume of what you had been previously been listening to.

And whether or not you're willing to adjust it after the first noise.

It has nothing to do with the volume. Anything that involves a maximum up front shot of some creepy thing with a scream track laid over it is a screamer.

Screamers are boring and I'd take a good creepy pasta over it any day.

mantidor

Stealth Editor said:
So it's another screamer basically? Being startled is not the same as being scared

yeah this pretty much, I hate screamers, I've catch myself jumping even at mild explosions from a light bulb breaking. And even not taking that into account, It's a pretty cheap and lazy trick at the end of the day.

ElPolloPeligro

Neo Member
Saw this last night at 4am, without any clue as to what it was, LOUD speakers, and a very large monitor. It's the first thing that actually scared me enough to keep me from sleeping soundly since I was a kid.

Orcastar

That was pretty cool.
Was startled a bit by the first moving panel and thought that was it. Way to lure you into a false sense of security.

Steelrain said:
Thread title is false.
Yeah sorry, skews too heavily to eastern standard time at the moment.

Calling it "comic demonstrates creative use of javascript" would give it away, and to say "startle" or "surprise" possibly implies its another godforsaken thread about kittens in a microwave.

junkster said:
Nothing happened?
Apparently varies depending on what browser you use, or if you have javascript disabled. Scrolling to the top, reloading, then scrolling down using "page down" gives the best results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom