• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This year is the 25th anniversary of Konami's TMNT video game series

Tizoc

Well series might be the incorrect term to use, but Konami developed/published the TMNT games for years up til the PS2 era, and IMO they made some really neat beat'em-ups.
Though to be exact 1989 is when the very first TMNT game was released and various other developers/publishers released TMNT games, I personally associate the better games with Konami.

What game(s) did you guys own or play?

As a kid me and my brother had this:
genesis_tmntthehyperstoneheist_front.jpg

I would sometimes play this at an arcade that closed down ages ago but it didn't click with me like the Genesis game :p
18208601.jpg

Hardcore Gaming 101's entry on Konami's TMNT beat'em-ups
HG101's entry on the various TMNT games released over the decades
Obligatory

Gotta love them 90s ads (why did this guy draw them with clenched teeth?)
hyperstoneHeistAd.jpg

I played a bunch of them growing up, but the only one I owned until recently was Tournament Fighters, which was awful.

Turtles in Time, still amazing! Big Apple, 3AM!

I wish I was allowed to promote these titles more often, but losing the TMNT license put the kibosh on that.

FloatOn

fuck the underwater levels in NES tmnt tho

and that level where you fight the robo turtle and have the limited amounts of ropes to use as bridges between buildings.

I still have my complete copy of NES TMNT II The Arcade Game, including unused coupon for free Pizza Hut Personal Pan Pizza™. :D

Neff

Seeing and hearing the first arcade game for the first time was absolutely mindblowing. I didn't really know much about TMNT at the time (never read the books, and too old for the cartoon), but I fell in love with the game right then and there.

Love at first sight, still burning strong 25 years later.

Really makes me wish Konami was still able to do stuff with this, and makes me miss the time when Japan would get first shot at film/cartoon/comic/toy licenses.

TreIII

TMNT3 The Manhattan Project is probably my favorite TMNT game overall, followed closely by Tourney Fighters (SNES).

MP is an underrated gem, in my eyes. It may have been 8bit, but it felt like a more satisfying brawler than TIT in a lot of respects. Better level variety, more levels in general, and the bosses (which were also higher in number) were more fun to fight.

I'm still in awe of the Turtles Arcade game port that the NES received and The Manhattan Project took that formula and enhanced it tenfold.

Crazy to think that three of the first four Turtle games were really well done and faithful to the cartoon. I still enjoy the original game as well. That damn Dam level still pisses me off to this day.

Wish Activision didn't have the Turtles license :(

SNES Turtles in Time is pretty much one of the best games ever.

by the time it released I was out of my 'Turtle phase', but hot-damn if the game didn't look pretty. I was really excited to rent it from Blockbusters.

Konami was God-tier during the SNES/Genesis era.

jimi_dini

Turtles in Time was amazing. Shame the remake wasn't as good as the original.

not as good? The remake was shit. And not shit as in "the shit", but just shit.

btw. Konami - you know that Nintendo has this nice Virtual Console service. Release dem turtles NES + SNES games on there. Thank you.

NateDrake

btw. Konami - you know that Nintendo has this nice Virtual Console service. Release dem turtles NES + SNES games on there. Thank you.

I was trying to be kind. All TMNT fans know the remake was a turd.

Turtles in Time is probably my most replayed game. It's become a ritual to co-op through it whenever I befriend someone new. Love that game so much.

Coda

Interestingly enough the Turtles in Time SNES port is weirdly better than the arcade version, it just feels better.

Also, while not the best TMNT game, The Manhattan Project is a hidden gem, and also has an amazing soundtrack.

tmnt3.jpg

Tizoc

I didn't think it was bad as you're exaggerating it to be. It was based on the arcade ver. rather the SNES ver. which is apparently what most played at the time.

Neff

Wow first time I've ever heard a snes era console game being better than an arcade counterpart.

It has extra levels, extra sections to existing levels, extra bosses/enemies, and you can choose to dash via a command rather than a timed 'charge' as you did in the arcade version, which makes the game a little brisker and more skillful. The music sounds better too, imo. It's a stunning conversion.

Coda

Wow first time I've ever heard a snes era console game being better than an arcade counterpart.

Sarcasm? I think most SNES ports are somehow inferior to the arcade versions of games but TMNT IV: Turtles in Time is definitely the exception.

Sophia

The SENS version is all around better, especially thanks to the new stage/boss layout but the arcade version does have better music. And four player support.

My local pizza joint had both Turtles in Time and X-Men (4player ver) at one time. They were amazing.

Pretty damn amazing series of games, not counting the first NES game.

Turtles Tournament Fighters is so underrated. Well, SNES version anyway, Genesis version wasn't very good. The NES game was one of the few 1v1 fighters on the system.

SYDv7w0.png

On phone right now, but anyone that says that the SNES ver of turtles in time is better than arcade is full of shit.

It depends on what you're talking about. The SNES version has it's advantages over the arcade, but the arcade also has advantages over the SNES version.

Sophia

On phone right now, but anyone that says that the SNES ver of turtles in time is better than arcade is full of shit.

New level in the Technodrone, five new bosses such as the addition of fan favorites like Super Shredder and Bebop and Rocksteady, much more coherent level layout, and an improved throw mechanic that can be done on command. The only drawbacks to the SNES version are the lack of four player support, the slightly worse music, and no voice acting.

G-Fex

I really like watching people play the original on NES. It's such a interesting action game.

There hasn't been another turtles game like it, most of them are just beat em ups. Which aren't a bad thing.

New level in the Technodrone, five new bosses such as the addition of fan favorites like Super Shredder and Bebop and Rocksteady, much more coherent level layout, and an improved throw mechanic that can be done on command. The only drawbacks to the SNES version are the lack of four player support, the slightly worse music, and less voice acting.

Fixed.

Fox Mulder

the nes tmnt game got delisted from the Wii VC when Konami lost the license.

Articalys

Turtles in Time is still one of my all-time favorite arcade games. Couldn't even being to count how many quarters I spent on it as a kid.

Also had TMNT II (the first arcade game's port) and III for the NES.

Tizoc

Pretty damn amazing series of games, not counting the first NES game.

Turtles Tournament Fighters is so underrated. Well, SNES version anyway, Genesis version wasn't very good. The NES game was one of the few 1v1 fighters on the system.

SYDv7w0.png

SNES ver. has a scene...well a small scene from what I remember but it's considered a viable fighting game.

Top Bottom