• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This year marks the Street Fighter II series' 25th anniversary

entremet

Super is my favorite. On the SNES. Loved that port and game.

Never cared for ST. The Super Moves didn't quite fit.

Tizoc

I wonder if anyone has ever made an MK1 ver. of the first image in this thread.
Wit Reptile being in Dhalsim's spot XP

lazygecko

Super Street Fighter 2 was the first version I actually got to play. Then later a friend got the Championship Edition for the Genesis, and I thought it was strange how the intro sequence was all different and there were less characters to choose from.

And yeah, Capcom needs to get off their ass and offer digital arcade-perfect versions of the CPS games. The only ones they seem to release are the 16-bit console ports, and in this day and age they are only adequate as technical curiosities.

Super Street Fighter 2 was the first version I actually got to play. Then later a friend got the Championship Edition for the Genesis, and I thought it was strange how the intro sequence was all different and there were less characters to choose from.

And yeah, Capcom needs to get off their ass and offer digital arcade-perfect versions of the CPS games. The only ones they seem to release are the 16-bit console ports, and in this day and age they are only adequate as technical curiosities.

Well, they did do the five SF II games on both PS1 & Sega Saturn through Street Fighter Collection 1 & 2 (& Capcom Generation 5 with the first three SF II games). The only problems were the loading times.

At best, they'll just take the lazy route & use the PS1 versions of those collections to save time & money, just like with Capcom Classics Collection 1 on PS2 & Xbox, CCC: Reloaded on PSP, & like with Hyper Fighting on Xbox Live for Xbox 360, & call it done.

bumpkin

Fantastic OP!

Street Fighter 2 was the gateway drug to me for fighting games. When I saw the huge spread in Nintendo Power of the SNES version, I went on a mission to try the real McCoy at a local arcade. I got my ass kicked handily, but even in my defeat, a love affair began.

Played the shit out of every version that followed. It even got me interested in other fighting games of the time, namely
Mortal Kombat and later on, Primal Rage and SNK's various fighters (Fatal Fury, King of Fighters).

Still, SF2 holds a special place in my heart. Happy Birthday, SF2!

KAL2006

Banned
My first experience was playing SF2 in the Arcade when I was a kid. I went to the Arcade with my older brother and was amazed with the graphics and style of the game. In fact I think it was the first ever fighting game I seen. I also had no idea what Street Fighter 1 was.

I then remember finally having Street Fighter II Turbo for the SNES. I remember my family used to always play the game together non stop. The discovery of being able to select the same character and seeing the characters 2nd colour was also a big deal for me. Also messing arcades round with the turbo settings was cool.

Finally Super Street Fighter II was another big game for me in the arcades. I also owned the SNES port.

However I will say I cannot remember Suoer Street Fighter II Turbo at all. For some reason I never seen it in the arcades and there was no console port for SNES. In fact I had no idea who Akuma was until Street Fighter Alpha. My first discovery of Suoer moves were in Street Fighter Alpha. No idea how Super Turbo wasn't in my radar at the time, perhaps by then I was into other games. Of course I did go back and play Suoer Turbo many years after just to see what I missed.

In terms of other media. I used to have cool Street Fighter posters, especially remember this good Ryu one dung a Shoryuken as well as a cool Vega one i gad. Used to sketch Street Fighter characters for fun. I lives the soundtrack, I remember I had some old OST of the game. And of course the anime was my first introduction to Japanese anime in general. Even back thrn I knew the live action one was terrible but still enjoyed it for its comic relief. As for competition with other fighting games, although MK was getting popular I still preferred Street Fighter mainly for how it controlled. I will admit once Tekken 2 and Tekken 3 kind of took over when it came to my interest in fighting games perhaps that's why I can't remember Super Turbo.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
I recall blanka getting his electric powers from the plane he was in being struck by lightning. I likely read that in the snes manual.

Awesome thread. A large part of my preteen/teen years was spent playing each of these iterations in arcades and snes.

Laws00

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Blanka's skin isn't green? That's just a dye he made from moss? He's just a regular guy who developed claws and teeth due to growing up in the jungle?

...Mind blown. I thought he somehow became an awesome green-skinned monster, and never worried about how.

How about this question that's bugged me since SSF2 was first announced: are Cammy's camo-legs tattoos, or is she wearing regulation Delta Red camo-hose?

i never knew that myself lol

Great thread

I'd love to see an expanded list of all the official and unoffical attempts to port SF2 over the years. People have gone to extreme lengths to try to get it to work on various hardware and sometimes the results run the gamut between 'you tried' and 'why did you try.'

C64
Street_Fighter_II_-_1992_-_U.S._Gold_Ltd..jpg

Spectrum
StreetFighterII.gif

Game Boy
gameboy.jpg

Virtual Boy (fanmade)
siqNLcu.jpg

And then there's a whole world of bootleg SF2 attempts on the NES.

25 years, still playing and anticipating 5.

Fuck that, Blanka is green! Didn't know about the penpal thing though.

It blew my mind when I found out that Yoko Shimomura had done almost the entire soundtrack.

NEVER DOUBT THE SHIMMER OF SHIMOMURA!

Those rolling melodies are a tradmark!

Excellent OP!

ts7KeOE.png

How come I never noticed his tiny arm before.

Him, OG Guile's potato-peelin' private portrait and Ryu's derp face infront of Dictator in that poster will never not make me laugh.

lazygecko

The Virtua Boy port blew my mind with the resolution it runs at. I had no idea the hardware used/supported such high resolutions.

SheHateMe

Outstanding thread, OP!

I used to play SF2:WW at my father's corner store on the weekends. I had to have dumped over $30 a weekend playing for a year straight. He upgraded to SF2T:HF and I put even MORE quarters into that. He eventually bought the machine and I free played it up until he sold the store.

Wish he had kept that machine.

Wow, what a great tribute to the greatest game ever made. Thank you for spending the time to make this thread. I really appreciated it.

Simo

Fantastic job OP! 25 years? Yuck, that makes me feel old. lol

I remember playing SF2 in the arcades as a kid, Guile and Blanka were my mains since they looked cooler compared to the "Karate Kid" and "Red Karate Kid", be it at fun fairs, the local fish and chip shop or the big arcades out in the seaside resorts. Yeah I'm from the UK so I'm looking at your Skeggy and Great Yarmouth! lol

Obviously my main and first introduction to fighting games with Mortal Kombat to follow. I always had a hell of time doing some of the special moves like fireballs or Guile's Sonic Boom and it was a revelation when fighting a class mate one day in the game that I'd watch him grip the top of the stick and spin it to perform the special and tried it myself to some moderate success. lol

I was also excited when I saw they were doing a live action movie and also seeing a ad for the action figures....

Still though, 2016 and here I am super fucking hyped for the next installment in Street Fighter!

Bleepey

Super Street Fighter II HD Remix is a bastard child that doesn't deserve to be in that glorious OP next to the masterpieces. In any case deserves to be with other Made in USA stuff like Street Fighter The Movie.

HDremix is underrated.

Windforce

Incredible job with the OP! Brings me back so many memories. Playing SF2' on arcades, then SF2' CE on the Sega Genesis certainly shaped the gamer I am today. It's the game that turned me into a 'hardcore' and got me invested in gaming.

A lot of hate for HD Remix in here, which I kind of get because it is pretty ugly, but it is also the game that got me and my best friend into fighting games so it has a place in my heart.

It was a real learning experience, discovering the magic of jumping roundhouse into sweep, tick throws, cross ups, walking after a slow sonic boom, every day we'd figure out something new you could do.

Arcade mode T. Hawk was a roadblock for both of us for literally weeks.

I even got all the achievements.

My buddy got way more into SF4 than I did and now I can't really touch him in it but we're both hyped for SFV.

First off, fantastic thread. You did great with it.

Second, I love this game. I have so many fond memories of street fighter. Playing in arcades, then playing on home consoles, then having super street fighter 2 tournaments with friends in my neighborhood. I can't say enough about it. It's as close to perfect as gaming has come for me. Everyone had their favorite characters. The characters had their own personal flair. Best music in a game. The controls were fun and tight for the time. I love it.

Fun fact. I had a vivid imagination as a kid.

And I imagined that Dhalism's stage got engulfed by flames because of his fire projectiles as a kid. I asked one kid at the arcade how to make the stage get covered in flames and he thought I was crazy because it was impossible.

I swear a stage was covered in flames. Maybe it was a different game?

This was World Warrior, btw.

Madness

My fingers would be blistered by how much I played this game. It's crazy though, I played Street Fighter before there even was a Microsoft or Sony in gaming. Don't want to be salty, but I hate that it's only PS4 this gen. My gaming time is limited the older I've gotten and I couldn't leave Halo behind. But man, I'd buy SFV day 1 if I could.

One of my favorite franchises of all time. I even have the Street Fighter II turbo stage songs in my music folder. Same goes for SF4. I still think Ken's SFII Turbo music version is the best.

I remember the original Arcade version of Street Fighter as well. Though SF2, World Warrior, Turbo:HF, Super Street Fighter was what really popularized it. So influential. Damn, now I feel like going back and playing sf4 on 360.

The day I got a SNES and The World Warrior still stands out as one of my best gaming memories. It was such a mind blowing experience to be able to play that game in my living room. The SFII iterations were a huge part of my upbringing and still my favorite of the series. I revisit Hyper Fighting and ST every so often and they still hold up incredibly well after all these years. Hard to believe it's been 25 years already. GOAT franchise.

Jashobeam

Excellent Thread! So many memories playing this game at the arcades and in the corners of seven elevens, trying to master the 3 hit dragon punch lol. Was a scrub then and still am, looking forward to getting owned in SFV and still have a blast.

So many memories of this game. My first time playing it was on SNES back in 1992. I was only 9 back then and the only arcades where I lived were dedicated arcades which I rarely got to go to. So my older brother borrows his friends SNES and one of his games was SF2, this game immediately caught my attention because I'd never seen anything like it. And like many young boys, Ryu and Ken caught our attention the most because they were the guys in karate outfits and could throw a fireball. I was already in love at that point and it's been my favorite franchise since and I can't wait for the release of the newest version SFV.

Anyone else own this cheap piece of crap growing up?

ZHlxHgt.jpg

Good times...

I had it, since I didn't own a SNES back when I was a kid my parents got this for me as a cheap alternative. I hated it at first, but then I actually ended up kind of liking it. I also had another one that was a Baseball game, I actually had a lot of fun with that back then. It was still a piece of shit though. Same goes for all the Tiger Electronic hand held games back then.

Acerac

Banned
Didn't realize that so many of the original portraits were so bad. It's such a minor change but the improvements are gigantic.

Great OP Tizoc. I have to admit while reading it I felt the nostalgia and picturing the numerous matches I had at local arcades. Super Arcade in Pasadena & Walnut. PAC Man arcade that was down the street from the Pasadena Super had at least 10 cabinet of different SF 2's. My favorite SF 2 is hyper fighting. CE is a close second.

Sanctuary

I don't know how far from perfect they were, but pretty much all of the CPS2 games (Marvel Superheroes, Alpha series and Vs series) released on the Saturn in conjunction with the 4mb cart were indistinguishable from the arcade version. Aside from there being different iterations of each, even in the arcades (one version would have specific infinites, while another would not).

RS4-

I was fortunate enough to have both a convenience store and pool Hall across the street that had some arcade machines. Sf2 at first, then Ce and SSF. One of the first snes games I owned was Sf2, then the rest followed.

Pretty bad when you're like 10 walking into a pool hall to play sf and mk lol.

A mall 5 mins away had another arcade. They used to have something like 8 cabs forming a circle.

SF is what got me into fighting games in general. And those fundamentals is what made it easy to branch out into all the other 2d games. Obviously some were just too different when you're a kid, like weaponlord which has a thread from earlier today.

I don't think there was a fighting game we didn't get in the arcades. Wargods, fighters vipers, etc. It was a great time.

Good memories with every sf game. Except 4.

petran79

Banned
i remember I was impressed with MK2 stage fatalities and wished you could throw opponents at the bathtub in Honda's stage.

Top Bottom