• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those bomb things in Mario Kart 64 are SO fucking annoying

daTRUballin

Like seriously, what the hell is up with these little shits?

hqdefault.jpg

The thing behind Mario and Toad. Fuck that thing.

For whatever reason, Nintendo decided to scatter these things all around the maps in MK64's multiplayer. Whenever I play the game with a friend of mine, I always crash into them and they always screw me up. To be fair, they're not that hard to avoid. You can even jump over them. But they're always in the fucking way and sometimes it's just hard to not crash into them.

Why are they in this game? They're nothing but a hinderance. To my knowledge, they're not in any of the other Mario Kart games and there's nothing like this in other N64 racers like Diddy Kong Racing. There's not even an option to turn them off! Why Nintendo? Why?!

/end rant

Seriously. I can't be the only one who hates these things, right? Bleh.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not talking about the bombs in the battle mode. I'm talking about the ones that are scattered around the maps in versus mode. The battle mode ones are actually good for obvious reasons. The versus ones are the bane of the game's existence.

64's Battle mode was the best thanks to players being able to control those bombs after losing all balloons. You best show respect.

I really don't remember these things that well. I always thought they were just things you could control if people were still playing battle mode and you lost, but I only ever had two controllers so I don't remember doing that even.

64's Battle mode was the best thanks to players being able to control those bombs after losing all balloons. You best show respect.

N64's was the best because the green shells would bounce around forever unless you just despawned them with too many green shells at once. Block Fort will never be the same in any remake as long as they keep on having the green shells break right away.

Thinking about it, did any of the other Battle Modes let you take away a person's balloon if you weighed more than them and crashed into them? That was another thing you could trip people up with at the start of Block Fort.

daTRUballin

Huh I can't remember them showing up with just two players. Either way they just interrupt the racing.

I think a few people are mistaking this for the driveable bomb karts in battle mode, this isn't that.

Yeah, I'm not talking about the battle mode ones. I'm talking about the ones in versus mode. I'll edit the OP to clarify.

I'll admit that the bombs were pretty good in battle mode lol. But that's the only thing they're good for in that game.

hatchx

Banned
For racing, yes, very dumb.

For battle they were great. I think it's a missed opportunity to not include a survival-style balloon battle (in what, the last 4 Mario Kart's?). Having defeated players turn into bombs was a noble solution.

woopWOOP

I actually completely forgot these things were in versus, just zig-zagging around. We mostly played 2-player GP or 4-player battle mode.

Now I vaguely recall getting hit by a shell and landing right on the path of one those things. One of the first times I got Mario Kart'd I guess, lol

theboy181

Neo Member
Mario Kart 64 (U)
Remove Bombs from MP Races

8101C404 0000
8101C406 0000

Note: Removes the yellow bombs from the racetrack during multiplayer races

theboy181

Neo Member
Mario Kart 64 (U)

8101C404 0000
8101C406 0000

opps..

Made a mistake where they were just invisible.. Here is good code.

Mario Kart 64 (U)

8001C40B 0005
8000985B 0005

ExpandKong

Banned
Are the other racers removed from 2P races?

I was thinking these were added into 3 and 4P races as a way to keep things interesting without the other four/five racers present....I dunno, been a minute.

leodexe

Neo Member
opps..

Made a mistake where they were just invisible.. Here is good code.

Mario Kart 64 (U)

8001C40B 0005
8000985B 0005

I just made an account to fucking thank you for these codes, I couldn't find them anywhere else on the internet. Now I can finally play without these annoying bombs in versus races!

Top Bottom