• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those who hate Trump: aside from COVID has his presidency directly impacted your life in a tangible negative way?

dkny1121

Mar 23, 2018
Will have to disagree with you. The dude straight up lied and said that Covid wasn't a thing, that it was going to go away when the weather got warm. He is on the record saying that. I get it. Some people just don't see my perspective. But I'm fairly confident in saying that if Clinton had been the president during Covid, things would have been handled better.

I do agree with you in the part that we are where we are, and now we have to figure out solutions instead of blaming each other. But I can't believe Trump is still encouraging people to attend rallies or minimizing the danger of Covid. Come on.
He didn't lie, you want him to freak the fuck out and shit down everything? It would still be shut down until a vaccine. That would literally have killed the USA. Guess what, people are going to die, just like old people die of natural causes, I bet 1/2 of those deaths are ones of people who literally would have died anyways. Imagine how fucked the USA would be if they closed everything, it still would be closed as there is no vaccine yet.

80% of deaths are in democrat run states and cities and they set there own mandates. New York has 25% of the deaths with the majority caused by the mayor himself. Imagine the screams from Democrats if Trump mandated masks and shutdowns, they called him a racist for shutting down entry from China for god sakes.

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun
Reactions: KiNeMz

Platinumstorm

Oct 19, 2011
This thread is about tangible negatives, but you guys are turning this into a <3 Trump thread.

By driving both himself and Sec. Clinton away from TPP, he directly hurt the value of my family's farm.
The trade war with China is a direct negative on the family farm in multiple ways; higher equipment costs, lower livestock sales.
He failed to support critical workers, increasing my risks of exposure to the virus on the job while others stay at home and collect up to 100k, while we didn't get sick leave or a way to pay for deductibles if we got infected.
Increased prices of consumer goods through Chinese trade war.
Investments in WKHS and DPHC were hurt due to his refusal to issue a contract for USPS until after the election due to the requirement that these vehicles are electric [kind of a low blow, but it's hard to understand how a president can DIRECTLY negatively affect you]

Far more concerned about the indirect future consequences of the president's "legacy" after he is voted from office.
Today he threatened to not provide California with any forest fire aid, he has no indication on a policy that is supportive of offsetting global heating.
Picture from Denver today looking towards the direction where I live from our newest fire that started 3 days ago:

Picture I took tonight

Last edited:

KiNeMz

Aug 6, 2019
Will have to disagree with you. The dude straight up lied and said that Covid wasn't a thing, that it was going to go away when the weather got warm. He is on the record saying that. I get it. Some people just don't see my perspective. But I'm fairly confident in saying that if Clinton had been the president during Covid, things would have been handled better.

I do agree with you in the part that we are where we are, and now we have to figure out solutions instead of blaming each other. But I can't believe Trump is still encouraging people to attend rallies or minimizing the danger of Covid. Come on.
He did what any ther leader would have done or has done across the world. Try and reduce panic. I do agree he is not the most well spoken of fellows. But imagine this. He states that this is bad and terrible things are coming. The entire country goes into panic. The entire nation goes into panic. This is the prime direction of all leaders, to reduce fear and panic.. Clinton may have addressed the public with better wording, but the message would've been the same. It has to be downplayed to prevent outright chaos. All leaders across the world have to show endeavor, positivity, hope, to bring people through a crisis.

Elcid

Jul 27, 2018
Well, like they said what happened, did indeed happen.

He rounded up all the gays and black people.
He was literally Hitler and moved the US embassy in Israel to Jerusalem, as promised by countless past Presidents.
He took all of the jobs from the remaining black people, and imprisoned them all.
Also, if you are not willing to kill a woman's child at 9+ months, you are one of Trump's Handmaiden Tale people.

He also tweeted something upsetting.

Basically, he has made me have to plan to move to Canada or anywhere else.
You forgot he also deported all Hispanics, even the US citizens.

Last edited:

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
This thread is about tangible negatives, but you guys are turning this into a <3 Trump thread.

By driving both himself and Sec. Clinton away from TPP, he directly hurt the value of my family's farm.
The trade war with China is a direct negative on the family farm in multiple ways; higher equipment costs, lower livestock sales.
He failed to support critical workers, increasing my risks of exposure to the virus on the job while others stay at home and collect up to 100k, while we didn't get sick leave or a way to pay for deductibles if we got infected.
Increased prices of consumer goods through Chinese trade war.
Investments in WKHS and DPHC were hurt due to his refusal to issue a contract for USPS until after the election due to the requirement that these vehicles are electric [kind of a low blow, but it's hard to understand how a president can DIRECTLY negatively affect you]

Far more concerned about the indirect future consequences of the president's "legacy" after he is voted from office.
Today he threatened to not provide California with any forest fire aid, he has no indication on a policy that is supportive of offsetting global heating.
Picture from Denver today looking towards the direction where I live from our newest fire that started 3 days ago:

Picture I took tonight

"Climate change" is a scapegoat for poor forest management due to decades of policies by people trying to "preserve natural habitats" or whatever and refusing to set aside money to clean up fallen trees. You aren't going to stop the forest fire trend by giving out electric vehicle tax credits or joining the Paris Agreement.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2008
The only thing I can think of is he is indirectly responsible for holding up the stimulus bill but that is not entirely his fault.

He cost me a friend or two perhaps but again not really his fault. One of those friends hardcore hated America long before Trump. So much so that he moved to Ecuador

Credit given to him as he actually moved out of the country unlike most haters.

Last edited:

Platinumstorm

Oct 19, 2011
"Climate change" is a scapegoat for poor forest management due to decades of policies by people trying to "preserve natural habitats" or whatever and refusing to set aside money to clean up fallen trees. You aren't going to stop the forest fire trend by giving out electric vehicle tax credits or joining the Paris Agreement.
The terrain that the previous former largest wildfire in Colorado history, which took place in 2020, didn't take place in "poorly managed, preserve this habitat" areas. It took place in the desert west with fir, pinyon, and sagebrush.

The Cameron Peak Fire, now the largest in Colorado history history, has a better argument for overly dense forests.

This picture, which I took in 2019, within the boundaries of Rocky Mountain National Park, faces the Never Summer region, and you can see evidence of significant pine beetle kill, an overall lack of management within that region, and copious amounts of lodgepole pine, and this view expands beyond the boundaries of RMNP, and you can see into Wyoming [the far back mountains] in this picture, which is also on fire from an entirely separate fire, around 140,000 acres in size. Some of this area is likely gone.

The Grizzly Creek fire, which took place near Glenwood Springs this year, took place in this kind of terrain. [Oak, aspen, and conifers]

Another fire area, the William's Fork fire, is shown in this video, and you can see that this is high density forest land.

You also have to take into consideration the causes of these fires. We have an increasing human/wildlands interface, and I do live within that interface, and spend a great deal of time within it. The Pine Gulch fire started due to lightning, the Cameron Peak fire cause is unknown, the Grizzly Creek fire is human caused, and the Williams Fork' fire is also human caused.

We have to take into consideration yearly droughts, which is an immense contribution, and you can see the current drought status at the below link for this terrible drought season, which can be mitigated by average temperatures and a retained snowpack.

We have historical evidence of the density of snow increasing in Colorado, the length of the snowpack shortening in Colorado, the increasing temperatures, take your pick.

From Billy Barr, who has done this record keeping for decades before global heating discussion was mainstream:
"44% of record lows come in the first 9 years of keeping temperature data, 60% in the first 14 years and 66% in the first 16 years. While 74% of record highs come since 1999, 54% since 2010 and 37% in the most recent 6 years. "

A study showing the snowpack decreasing by 7 million square acres.

These dense snowpacks have led to the most incredible avalanche season in Colorado history in the 2018-2019 winter. This is a picture I took of some of the damage I came across in the Holy Cross Wilderness this year, as jet streams bring in heavy moisture that dumps incredible amounts of dense snow in a short time period. This avalanche had a width of about a mile wide, and this picture covers the primary run. Note in the background the wildfire smoke from the Pine Gulch Fire.

Here is a picture of Arapahoe Glacier in September 1919

I took these pictures on July 19, 2019 and July 15, 2020 of the same glacial area [this is my favorite hike in Colorado]. 52% of the glacier's snowmass has been lost in the 20th century.

You recite the same line that our president touts, however he has no forest service management plan. He hasn't put any priority on this, and just deflects to either forest management or water being directed to the oceans.

You can compare historical and current forestry cuts here, which shows the Trump Administration continuing the gutting of wildfire land management, with maintained ~30% cuts from 2019.

This NYT article has a nice graph showing the area of wildfire per year since the 1950s along the West Coast [not Colorado],

We currently have a concerning uptrend in wildfire acres burned each year; and I specifically chose this graphic because many that you see only start around 1983 to only show the growth, which I think is misleading. There is a clear upward trend since the 80s after a decline of a similar magnitude from the 60s through the early 80s.

Total economic burden of wildfires is 71 to 348b /yr.

I don't blame President Trump for wildfires, but we need someone in office who has a plan to grapple with global heating, warming, climate change, whatever term you prefer. President Trump is not that person, and global warming has been my top voting priority for the last decade. I will not vote for a Republican candidate for any position, until the right is on board with a plan to address global warming. Remember, the same person who coined "climate change" worked for President George W. Bush's campaign and this was an attempt to lessen its impact. He coined the term "global heating" in his work to emphasize the dangers of global warming.

Last edited:

Raven117

Oct 5, 2015
His dumbass texts affect me personally. If that fucker would shut up on Twitter and just be the good little republican conduit we need him to things would be a okay.

Aug 18, 2020
People seriously think that if Hillary Clinton was president we wouldn’t have this many COVID cases/deaths???

Lmfao I wish I was 12 again too.
I'm pretty sure people think that if the Democrats had handled it not only would the US have zero deaths, but Canada and Mexico would too, because the radiance of awesome the US would exude wouldn't be held back by mere borders.

MetalAlien

Mar 6, 2005
The only presidents to ever effect me in a negative way are the democrats. Ammo and guns always go through the roof.

People seriously think that if Hillary Clinton was president we wouldn’t have this many COVID cases/deaths???

Lmfao I wish I was 12 again too.
Shit we would be on total lockdown like the philippines.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TrainedRage

GreenAlien

Jun 11, 2016
The dude straight up lied and said that Covid wasn't a thing, that it was going to go away when the weather got warm. He is on the record saying that. I get it. Some people just don't see my perspective.
Neither happened.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-coronavirus-rally-remark/ - Despite creating some confusion with his remarks, Trump did not call the coronavirus itself a hoax.

..and for the second one, the full quote was:
And by the way, the virus, they're working hard. Looks like by April, you know, in theory, when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away. I hope that's true. But we're doing great in our country.

"in theory" and "I hope that's true". should be enough to tell someone without TDS how to understand what he said..

Last edited:

Frito_Pendejo

Sep 17, 2019
Due to Covid? No of course not and I don't recall Democrats doing that. They did when the Muslim travel bans were going on.

A old HS crush of mine was a trump supporter. What a disappointment. :(

But seriously so many friends of mine changed after 2016 I had to cut them out of my life. Moved out of state to start things fresh.
That’s such weird way to be dude. One of my best friends at work is a raging BLM lover but outside of that we talk sports, video games and normal life shit. Sometimes you and your friends simply aren’t going to see eye to eye but it’s best to be mature about it and just accept you guys have different view points and just don’t talk about that stuff.

• LOL
Reactions: KiNeMz

Mihos

Gold Member
May 10, 2009
steamcommunity.com
A old HS crush of mine was a trump supporter. What a disappointment. :(

But seriously so many friends of mine changed after 2016 I had to cut them out of my life. Moved out of state to start things fresh.
Sounds like you were the problem.

My wife and I don't even vote the same. That shit only means something if you decide in your head it does

Last edited:

bohrdom

Mar 19, 2020
Where do you live and why do you blame Trump for a prolonged shutdown he’s against? And is an extra $1200 going change anyones circumstances?
The bill is providing weekly stipend as well. That's what helps. I blame Trump for not having the right people around him and taking too long to act. There's this stupid self serving attitude that "America is the best!" and this pandemic has really shown the flaws in our entire system. I say this as an American that we should have some humility and should have learned from other countries in the early days of the pandemic. At least emulated them rather than going off on how "Gina is the cause of everything". It's the isolationism that will screw us over in the long term.

These are the things a competent leader would do and if he had actually reached out and learned from fellow nations maybe this would have saved many more lives:
  • Shutdown the country as soon as possible because we don't have the infra to do localized lockdowns.
  • In the shutdown provide some amount of cashflow for American people while the government mobilizes to build infrastructure to do mass scale testing and contact tracing. We could have used the testing from Germany but instead we had to do everything "in house". They had to lax rules so that American colleges could also get involved.
  • Building infrastructure for masks and hygiene products is much harder but with a competent leader maybe something could have been done about it. We've seen the US spring to action after Pearl Harbor.
  • Actually do testing of populations with proper controls to really understand how bad the disease is.
  • Bring the economy back online but with really localized lockdowns which we could target with contact tracing.
Also I'm not making up these points. These are things that were coming out in science journals and experts back in Feb/Mar. This clown has just stripped the government of all the talent and has surrounded himself with buffoons. It's this lack of leadership that I blame him for. He really thought he could bullshit this thing away.

He botched the entire economic recovery by not buying masks for businesses? I’m not following. Everyone has a mask and he gave a bunch of money to businesses, this isn’t a problem. What are you talking about?
It's not only masks. Masks are like bare minimum on an individual level. You need contact tracing and easily accessible testing. These are the things you offer businesses. For both these things bureaucracy got in the way in the beginning of the pandemic. As Trump was complaining about China and shifting blame, other countries had already started working together and doing mass scale testing.

Our carbon emissions continue to drop. Alarmist claim we have 10 years before we die but science doesn’t support that and it’s an obvious power grab. Also solar and electric vehicle economies have boomed under Trump. And we need coal and oil because that is how we get our energy in, for example, Democrat California.
Yes that's great that carbon emissions are dropping but I don't think it has anything to do with Trump policies. Free market is moving away from coal and oil because of Obama era policies but it's potentially not fast enough. This dude stripped away a lot of protections. We need to accelerate the transition, this is where the government gets involved. Incentivize the economy because free market can only do so much.

And he can't just "do" things like term limits.
That's his campaign promise. Not mine. Anything is possible if you know how to wield political capital.

finowns

May 10, 2009
The bill is providing weekly stipend as well. That's what helps. I blame Trump for not having the right people around him and taking too long to act. There's this stupid self serving attitude that "America is the best!" and this pandemic has really shown the flaws in our entire system. I say this as an American that we should have some humility and should have learned from other countries in the early days of the pandemic. At least emulated them rather than going off on how "Gina is the cause of everything". It's the isolationism that will screw us over in the long term.

These are the things a competent leader would do and if he had actually reached out and learned from fellow nations maybe this would have saved many more lives:
  • Shutdown the country as soon as possible because we don't have the infra to do localized lockdowns.
  • In the shutdown provide some amount of cashflow for American people while the government mobilizes to build infrastructure to do mass scale testing and contact tracing. We could have used the testing from Germany but instead we had to do everything "in house". They had to lax rules so that American colleges could also get involved.
  • Building infrastructure for masks and hygiene products is much harder but with a competent leader maybe something could have been done about it. We've seen the US spring to action after Pearl Harbor.
  • Actually do testing of populations with proper controls to really understand how bad the disease is.
  • Bring the economy back online but with really localized lockdowns which we could target with contact tracing.
Also I'm not making up these points. These are things that were coming out in science journals and experts back in Feb/Mar. This clown has just stripped the government of all the talent and has surrounded himself with buffoons. It's this lack of leadership that I blame him for. He really thought he could bullshit this thing away.
The China Virus is not nearly bad enough to destroy our economy over although the left has certainly tried. Creating massive debt to give stipends to stimulate a closed economy is not smart no matter what the “experts” say. Trump is right when he said the cure can not be worst than the disease. What will stimulate the economy is a return to normalcy while mitigating risk when possible for example elders isolating themselves.

Your other points are largely redundant and we do them; we have had more testing done than anyone. And to your point about Trump getting rid of all the “talent” did they all go to work for Cuomo in New York because whoever was advising him killed it.

It's not only masks. Masks are like bare minimum on an individual level. You need contact tracing and easily accessible testing. These are the things you offer businesses. For both these things bureaucracy got in the way in the beginning of the pandemic. As Trump was complaining about China and shifting blame, other countries had already started working together and doing mass scale testing.
Again we have testing, anyone who needs a test gets one and we have contact tracing believe it or not.

And thank god Trump will hold China accountable because no one else in Washington will.

Yes that's great that carbon emissions are dropping but I don't think it has anything to do with Trump policies. Free market is moving away from coal and oil because of Obama era policies but it's potentially not fast enough. This dude stripped away a lot of protections. We need to accelerate the transition, this is where the government gets involved. Incentivize the economy because free market can only do so much.
No the free market is not moving away from coal and oil because of Obama policies they are moving away from it because solar and electric vehicles are becoming a more viable economic alternative. And coal is not going anywhere until we have a major breakthrough in battery technology.

And making the claim that Trump is a factor in global warming but ignore the actual numbers that refute that claim I find problematic. Under Trump there has been a steady push for a greener economy even as the economy has expanded with Trump cutting regulations that cost American jobs and giving large tax breaks to the middle class. You should be calling him a magician and kissing his feet if this was really a priority for you.

Last edited:

bohrdom

Mar 19, 2020
The China Virus is not nearly bad enough to destroy our economy over although the left has certainly tried. Creating massive debt to give stipends to stimulate a closed economy is not smart no matter what the “experts” say. Trump is right when he said the cure can not be worst than the disease. What will stimulate the economy is a return to normalcy while mitigating risk when possible for example elders isolating themselves.

Your other points are largely redundant and we do them; we have had more testing done than anyone. And to your point about Trump getting rid of all the “talent” did they all go to work for Cuomo in New York because whoever was advising him killed it.

Again we have testing, anyone who needs a test gets one and we have contact tracing believe it or not.

And thank god Trump will hold China accountable because no one else in Washington will.

No the free market is not moving away from coal and oil because of Obama policies they are moving away from it because solar and electric vehicles are becoming a more viable economic alternative. And coal is not going anywhere until we have a major breakthrough in battery technology.

And making the claim that Trump is a factor in global warming but ignore the actual numbers that refute that claim I find problematic. Under Trump there has been steady push for a greener economy even as the economy has expanded with Trump cutting regulations that cost American jobs and gave large tax breaks to the middle class. You should be calling him a magician and kissing his feet if this was really a priority for you.
Lol this is "the alternate reality".