• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those Windows drivers for the Xbox One controller would be nice

npa189

Even though I am a proud owner of a PS4 I would still buy an Xbox one controller to use on my PC. With Wolfenstien and watchdogs coming out I've been using Steam big picture and PC has always been next to my TV, so right now I have a 15ft USB cord running across my living room with a wired 360 pad attached. Since its impossible to track down the Microsoft branded adapter for wireless pads I just use this solution for the time being. While the DS4 is a semi-vaiable option, it is still quirky in some games like the souls series, and I just really don't feel like screwing with it every time I play a controller friendly PC title. Where are those drivers they said they would be putting out for the xbone pad? I'd love a PC branded one that comes with a USB adapter, or some sort of WiFi solution. Can this be that hard? Or is Microsoft keeping on with that "commitment" to the PC.

Braag

I have 2 360 controllers on my PC. I would totally buy a XB1 controller if MS would support it properly.

I love Microsoft's "PC commitment" speeches though :D Hilarious.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
E3 is right around the corner, plenty of time to give is an update on it via some media form.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Even though I am a proud owner of a PS4 I would still buy an Xbox one controller to use on my PC. With Wolfenstien and watchdogs coming out I've been using Steam big picture and PC has always been next to my TV, so right now I have a 15ft USB cord running across my living room with a wired 360 pad attached. Since its impossible to track down the Microsoft branded adapter for wireless pads I just use this solution for the time being. While the DS4 is a semi-vaiable option, it is still quirky in some games like the souls series, and I just really don't feel like screwing with it every time I play a controller friendly PC title. Where are those drivers they said they would be putting out for the xbone pad? I'd love a PC branded one that comes with a USB adapter, or some sort of WiFi solution. Can this be that hard? Or is Microsoft keeping on with that "commitment" to the PC.

According to Penello it's still coming.

So don't hold your breath.

Alternatively, you can buy a third party adapter for the 360 controller. You have to do one extra step to get it to sync, but other than that it works perfectly.

I wish Sony would put out drivers for Windows for DS4 tbh...

A modder made drivers that allow the DS4 to work on PC

You want to download these drivers as the above instructions are still good, but the link goes to an older version.

Albrecht Perdongo or whoever told me they were working on it in like, January / February this year in a GAF thread. I'm still waiting. I will buy an Xbone pad literally the second I can use it on my PC with official support.

Jesb

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I use a xbox 360 razr controller and I despise the long cord across the room. I can't find anyone selling the xbox 360 wireless adapter so I'm also sol until someone releases a controller. I'll buy an xbox one controller if drivers ever come. I don't know why Sony can't do it too. I'm also keeping an eye on the steam controller if it ever comes.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why do you need to "screw with it" every time you want to use your DS4? With the XInput Wrapper installed you shouldn't have to do anything special (except sync the controller again if you've been using it on the PS4), it should just automatically be recognized as a 360 controller.

But yeah, both companies should get official drivers out.

npa189

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I use a xbox 360 razr controller and I despise the long cord across the room. I can't find anyone selling the xbox 360 wireless adapter so I'm also sol until someone releases a controller. I'll buy an xbox one controller if drivers ever come. I don't know why Sony can't do it too. I'm also keeping an eye on the steam controller if it ever comes.

I've only found the MS adapter bundled with a controller, when I bought it a few years ago the fuse burnt out in it which is apparently a common problem. I fixed it with foil, but I was afraid it would burn my house down so I threw it out. How is that Razer pad?

npa189

Why do you need to "screw with it" every time you want to use your DS4? With the XInput Wrapper installed you shouldn't have to do anything special (except sync the controller again if you've been using it on the PS4), it should just automatically be recognized as a 360 controller.

Dark Souls 2 is really finniky, and I just don't want to deal with it.

jond76

Banned
Isn't this essentially port begging?

Anyway, last I heard they wanted to make sure that features like rumble triggers worked on PC properly.

He's probably referring to the outdated x360ce method where you had to drop in some files into each game's directory.

Soon. Very soon.
So... E3.

AlexBasch

I read it as "These Windows drivers for the Xbox One controller are nice".

I was half sleepy, so it's not your fault to make that excitement in me, OP.

Zomba13

I wish Sony would put out drivers for Windows for DS4 tbh...

This. Even with the third party drivers I occasionally have the PS4 pad disconnect for no reason (wired not blutooth) and that can ruin games (lead to a party wipe in FFXIV, lead me to a death I could have avoided in Dark Souls etc). All I want is for there to be a driver that makes my PS4 pad behave just like a 360 pad and not randomly disconnect.

With the Xbone pad though MS should really have gottent hat done by now. It's a Microsoft product and they will stop making and support the 360 pad at some point (I assume) so why not build quick drivers for the pad for Win7 and Win8 or something, especially as it seems to be an improvement on the 360 pad.

Then again, MS don't give any fucks about PC gaming and Xbone pad drivers for the PC would require one or more fucks to be given.

evilalien

I've been playing Dark Souls 2 for the past 2 weeks using my DS4 over bluetooth using the above linked Scarlet Crush drivers and I haven't experienced any weirdness. What exactly do you mean by Dark Souls is finnicky?

If you mean the spinning camera problem, check "Hide my DS4" in DS4Tool and you should be good to go. I haven't had problems with any games since I have done that.

Hopefully Sony and Microsoft will put out official drivers eventually but this works for now :)

calder

As great as the DS4 drivers work I'd still love some official support. If only to get DS4 specific button prompts in games a little more often... I know it's kinda lame but I couldn't play Arkham City on PC with my DS because the button prompts kept breaking my brain.

badb0y

Soon. Very soon.

Just don't make my buy another dongle and I'm in!
As great as the DS4 drivers work I'd still love some official support. If only to get DS4 specific button prompts in games a little more often... I know it's kinda lame but I couldn't play Arkham City on PC with my DS because the button prompts kept breaking my brain.
This was actually a very big problem for me too that ultimately forced me to buy the dongle and hook my my Xbox 360 controller to my PC.

Tablo

Amen, they are taking way too long...
Hopefully we don't need a dongle, if we do, well it better be a smartly designed and good one!

How much will the dongle cost, $20?

I gave up on the Xbone PC drivers and just bought a Wii U pro controller instead. Works beautifully, but I'd buy a used Xbone controller if drivers came out sooner than an eternity.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
He's probably referring to the outdated x360ce method where you had to drop in some files into each game's directory.

Well, nobody should be using that when there's a much better and simpler option available.

I got used to that very quickly, didn't think about it at all after a little while. And I've never owned an Xbox console (but I have played them quite a bit, of course). But sure, it would be nice if more games included an option to use PS button prompts.

hwalker84

Just don't make my buy another dongle and I'm in!

This was actually a very big problem for me too that ultimately forced me to buy the dongle and hook my my Xbox 360 controller to my PC.

If you're talking for wireless then you're SOL. Completely different wireless tech then the 360.

npa189

I've been playing Dark Souls 2 for the past 2 weeks using my DS4 over bluetooth using the above linked Scarlet Crush drivers and I haven't experienced any weirdness. What exactly do you mean by Dark Souls is finnicky?

It won't recognize it, at all. It works fine in other games and in big picture but Dark Souls just won't see it.

Thanks for the response major nelson, PC gamers are still here, and we do care about Microsoft products and games.

if you have a PS4 controller, the latest version of DS4tool works fine. It even syncs back perfectly without you having to shut down steam or the game you're playing in the case that your controller disconnected via cable but I use blutooth.I have two DS4's so it's literally a one two button press and I'm set to play.

Jesb

I've only found the MS adapter bundled with a controller, when I bought it a few years ago the fuse burnt out in it which is apparently a common problem. I fixed it with foil, but I was afraid it would burn my house down so I threw it out. How is that Razer pad?

The controller is better than the original 360 controller IMO. Dpad is great, I like the clicky buttons over the traditional ones. Being able to adjust the sensitivity of the analog sticks is great. If they made a wireless version I'd buy it. It's really a great controller, which is a shame, I just can't stand wires for controllers.

Top Bottom