• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts on Ark?

Thanati

Hi All,

So I've recently got into Ark and put in around 26 hours and I wanted to see what motivates other Ark players to play. I wanted to see if there are other things in the game that can keep me playing. The main reason I got the game was because my son is into dinosaurs and we sort of play together but the survival aspect is also something that really draws me.

I thought it would be interesting to see what the Ark community thinks :)

Boneless

I love Ark, especially PVP, high risk which leads to a high feeling of reward. Its been years since I played though, as the game is absolute crack, it will suck up your live. When offline, Id wonder if someone is raiding me laying waste to the dinos Ive spent hours on to tame.

Thanati

I love Ark, especially PVP, high risk which leads to a high feeling of reward. Its been years since I played though, as the game is absolute crack, it will suck up your live. When offline, Id wonder if someone is raiding me laying waste to the dinos Ive spent hours on to tame.
Hahahah, I know what you mean. Those 26 hours went by far too quickly :)

What is it about the PvP that you really enjoy? I'm tempted to give it a try.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’m sure it’s good, my 14 year old loves it but he’s moved on to Rust now. I’m just not good at that type of game (survive, gather resources, build a base etc).

Boneless

Hahahah, I know what you mean. Those 26 hours went by far too quickly :)

What is it about the PvP that you really enjoy? I'm tempted to give it a try.

Ive picked up people with my ptera and dropped them in the ocean. Ive handcuffed people and put them in a cage. Ive blown up a raft base completely with C4 while they unknowingly sailed away. If that all sounds horrible, its Ark pvp, and will happen, anything can happen.

Thanati

Ive picked up people with my ptera and dropped them in the ocean. Ive handcuffed people and put them in a cage. Ive blown up a raft base completely with C4 while they unknowingly sailed away. If that all sounds horrible, its Ark pvp, and will happen, anything can happen.
Whoa, seriously! You can do things like this? Oh man, I had no idea!

Inviusx

I tried to play it on PS4 Pro and it was so hopelessly unoptimised I stopped after a few hours.

Conan Exiles is better imho.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Love it

I built a trap base in one of the spawn points when the game first started and had dead bodies littered around my base as I wouldn't let any of the new players out so they had to exit and start over.

Whoa, seriously! You can do things like this? Oh man, I had no idea!

I put so many hours into this game early on and you can pretty much do anything just logging back in to my base being destroyed really deflated the PVP aspect for me.

I eventually went to PVE servers but wasn't quite the same but have since put a lot of hours in the offline solo play.

Here you can insta tame dinos and play with a lot of the settings to greatly improve QOL plus you can leave the game for months and come back and everything is how you left it

Plus there are tons of lines you can input into the game to insta spawn stuff if you don't have the time to farm up stuff

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I tried Ark on the Series X because the genre is my jam but it felt like I was in this weird debug unit playing the game. I ran around this janky looking starting area with all these strange signs everywhere and no one else was there. So I uninstalled after about 8 minutes.

Wondering now if I started in the wrong mode?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I tried Ark on the Series X because the genre is my jam but it felt like I was in this weird debug unit playing the game. I ran around this janky looking starting area with all these strange signs everywhere and no one else was there. So I uninstalled after about 8 minutes.

Game was always horribly optimized early on but think its 4k 60 now on Series X but not 100% sure

Rambone

I played Ark for a long time and what kept me going was playing with friends or a decent semi functioning tribe. What I didn't like about Ark was soloing by myself on official servers, after awhile it felt like a chore and commitment to log in every couple of days to ensure my Dinosaurs are fed (so they don't die) and my base doesn't decay away wasn't very fun. As an adult I have no time or patience to wait out the stupid time requirements for breeding and taming on official. PVP can be frustrating at times if you are not in a large tribe and even then, it can be frustrating, especially when players use glitches in the game to wreck your dinos and bases that you dumped a lot of time and effort into.

I will probably take Ark more serious when Ark 2 comes out but until then, I play unofficial servers now and then since they are faster paced and don't require a lot of time to build up or recover from a loss.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Game was always horribly optimized early on but think its 4k 60 now on Series X but not 100% sure

Yeah, the performance was fine when I tried it (a couple of months ago) but I literally didn't know what mode I was in. I ran around for 8 minutes thinking "Is this a tutorial level or did I start my own server? Or maybe I'm in someone else's server and they have ****ed up settings on?"

My short attention span and the lack of direction (+ jank) prevented me from sticking with it for very long.

wolffy71

Banned
I have way too many hours into that game. Its a sandbox and you can play it almost any way you can imagine. A good group of people to play with is step one tho. Then prepare for politics, treachery, and the joy and despair of seeing months if not years of work destroyed before you lol. The pvp is rewarding when u win and absolutely soul crushing when you lose big.

Theres also people who make decent money selling in game items if thats their thing.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
It was really good. Then they introduced OP monsters like a fuckin dragon and people exploit this to transfert them into every server. Idk if this changed but I stopped because of this, the PVP wasn't fun anymore.

Thanati

The whole concept of having my base destroyed in PvP while I'm does seem somewhat off-putting. Not sure if I'd really be up for that. What are your preferences though; PvP or PvE?

Also, the beginning (for me) was excruciatingly difficult! I had no idea how to do pretty much anything in the game

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The whole concept of having my base destroyed in PvP while I'm does seem somewhat off-putting. Not sure if I'd really be up for that. What are your preferences though; PvP or PvE?

Also, the beginning (for me) was excruciatingly difficult! I had no idea how to do pretty much anything in the game
Its been awhile since I have played so things have probably changed a lot since but to survive in PVP you need help like in a decent tribe or your base will get raided often

It can be very daunting to learn the ropes early on and again a good reason to play offline and host your own game which allows you to leave the game for weeks/months and return to the exact state you left it

tylrdiablos

Played with a friend for ~3 weeks straight shortly after the Scorched Earth(?) expansion came out. Became a full-time job, even on a server that had fast tames and extra resources.
We enjoyed but it became too much of a chore. We also go sick of the devs promising to fix bugs and improve performance but then they'd just add more junk, more DLC and even an entirely new game. (Which had an incredibly misleading trailer.)
Said devs are now on our "avoid" list.

Boneless

It´s a right judgement, if you cannot stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. However, it is possible to survive solo or with a small group. I´ve played for months on official pvp without getting wiped, kept the base small enough, don´t look like a threat against alpha, and don´t make enemies you cannot handle. In the end, I got turrets, C4 and bazooka´s, so I started blowing up people. At some point, I made the wrong enemy and got completely destroyed, but that was fine.

recursive

Is it 60fps on xsx?

Thanati

Played with a friend for ~3 weeks straight shortly after the Scorched Earth(?) expansion came out. Became a full-time job, even on a server that had fast tames and extra resources.
We enjoyed but it became too much of a chore. We also go sick of the devs promising to fix bugs and improve performance but then they'd just add more junk, more DLC and even an entirely new game. (Which had an incredibly misleading trailer.)
Said devs are now on our "avoid" list.
Yeah, I hear you about the devs.

In what way did it become a chore for you? For me it's just a pain having to seemingly redo stuff every time I jump into a game.

i made my character as black as i could, and none of my friends could see me at night.
gameplay was janky.
the whole thing felt underbaked and tedious.

i guess if i didnt have anything better to play, i could probably get into it.
then again, the original rollercoaster tycoon is probably way better.

Noah loved it. 8 out of 8 of his family survived.
142499_460s_v1.jpg

Patrick S.

Banned
Love it

I built a trap base in one of the spawn points when the game first started and had dead bodies littered around my base as I wouldn't let any of the new players out so they had to exit and start over.
This is called being a fucking griefer. People like you who are doing this spawn point shit are the reason I stopped playing ARK multiplayer in frustration after trying it three times. I hope all griefers like you get banned from all official servers, and I hope the developer can put in building prevention in a radius around spawn points.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This is called being a fucking griefer. People like you who are doing this spawn point shit are the reason I stopped playing ARK multiplayer in frustration after trying it three times. I hope all griefers like you get banned from all official servers, and I hope the developer can put in building prevention in a radius around spawn points.
Being perfectly honest I just started building where and when I spawned and having won a prerelease copy during a stream before official launch there were zero other players I ever saw.

I played pretty hard non stop and by the time official launch happened I had my walls and a functioning base up and running

It started pretty slowly having bodies show up on my beach area and didn't even realize at the time what was going on and once I did I wasn't relocating everything

But griefing is 100% part of PVP including trap bases so if things like that bother your sensitive nature I advise against PVP style games or play a game like this offline so you have total control.

Thanati

I played Ark for a long time and what kept me going was playing with friends or a decent semi functioning tribe. What I didn't like about Ark was soloing by myself on official servers, after awhile it felt like a chore and commitment to log in every couple of days to ensure my Dinosaurs are fed (so they don't die) and my base doesn't decay away wasn't very fun. As an adult I have no time or patience to wait out the stupid time requirements for breeding and taming on official. PVP can be frustrating at times if you are not in a large tribe and even then, it can be frustrating, especially when players use glitches in the game to wreck your dinos and bases that you dumped a lot of time and effort into.

I will probably take Ark more serious when Ark 2 comes out but until then, I play unofficial servers now and then since they are faster paced and don't require a lot of time to build up or recover from a loss.
Oh man, I hear you on this! I didn't realize this was an issue until I logged and found everything was, well, gone and dead!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Explore the soaring heights and hidden depths of ARK's newest official community map, featuring three new creatures for you to tame! Lost Island boasts 150 square kilometers of new biomes, new challenges, and mysterious ruins. Discover jungle valleys fed by giant waterfalls, build a treehouse high in the forest canopies, get down and dirty in vast mangrove swamps, dive deep underwater, brave treacherous snowy peaks, or spelunk uncharted cave systems in search of treasure… There's something here for everyone!

Lost Island is the first community map released with three new creatures, and the first to include a creature chosen by the ARK community. Unleash thermal hell from atop your Amargasaurus, glide into battle with Sinomacrops at your back, or treat your enemies to a shower of Tek-disabling Dinopithecus dung!

Trilobit

Saw my friends playing it, seems like a nice social game if you play it with others. Never had any interest in it personally, looked a bit boring with all the gathering and stuff.

Top Bottom