• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts on PS Experience Keynote?

Hupsel

Am I the only one starting to feel tired with No Mans Sky? I sure hope it will be an amazing game but the media/Sony is hyping it to brand new levels. All the trailers so far are the same thing. Same background music, the guy spawns, gets on a plane, finds a new planet, walks. The End.

Eternia

Seemed like a good show. There were a decent number of announcements even if they're mostly indies/niche products with the exception being Street Fighter. A nice way to give the spotlight to the smaller studios. The event length could have been trimmed significantly though.

Uncharted 4 gameplay.
Street Fighter V gameplay, exclusive for the life of the title.
Drawn to Death looks dope.
Until Dawn, can't wait to play it
NMS continues to look great.
Lots of great looking indie titles and some nice PSVita announcements.

It was an 8/10 for me.

All I want to know is when is the next time people are going to hype up Crash and TLG? They're dead. deader then dead.

Truly a very disappointing keynote. I mean sure I liked UC4 and Bloodborne gameplay but I was expecting one more reveal as big as SF5 and some classic revivals like Parappa or Ape Escape. I gotta stop falling for the Gaf hype.
This is just as bad as TLG or Crash hype. Don't fall for that. Or at least keep it in the wishful thinking box. If those happen it'll be a true surprise because they are not expected....at all lol. Don't set yourself up for that.

TomShoe

Banned
2/10

Extremely disappointing. This is supposed to be a celebration of 20 years of Playstation and the very first Playstation Experience. They needed big guns and to play up nostalgia. Instead they wasted like 40 minutes on games that have already been talked about 100 times (The Order 1886, No Man's Sky, Destiny, Arkham Knight etc.) they show an interesting yet too lengthy demo of Uncharted 4 that would have been better saved for E3, and then downright INSULT us with that Peter Moore segment and FF7 segments.

The ONLY decent things/nice surprises in that entire 2 hour conference were: Ono with SF IV/V, The 3rd party relations guy (the one wearing the fedora thing) segment specifically the part with Tim Schaffer, and the last segment with Jaffe.

Everything else was corporate garbage, lame jokes, and indie games that could have easily been shown in a cool 2 minute montage instead of being stretched out.

1365383350885.jpg

Some of these reactions have me in tears. I'm not sure why people were expecting Sony to literally blow every possible megaton GAF had thought of at one event. Discounting Uncharted 4? I'm sure if FF7 had gotten a remaster or one more megaton had showed up at the end, this score would easily be 6 or 7 points higher.

My score: 9.1/10. Fantastic start, Fantastic Middle, weak finish.

v1lla21

Great conference imo, all about games! I never have my expectations through the roof even though I was part of the hype threads. Most of the games interest me as I like to play all kinds of games and the reveals we got were good too. It's fun seeing gaf members cry and say it sucked because they didn't get what they wanted. looooooooooool.

Boring, though I missed most of the stuff in the middle. The best part was the FFVII port troll from Square, I laughed so hard. Bloodborne was amazing, the rest was meh. The worst was QTE: The Movie or whatever that mess with the girl in the towel was supposed to be.

9/10 just for Yakuza 5 and Day of the Tentacle Special Edition. Glad I held off on USFIV so I guess I'll have to grab a new stick for PS4 :/

KAL2006

Banned
It was decent, but was missing that huge AAA bomb, such as New IP from Guerilla Games. Also where the fuck was Ratchet. I think if SFV hadn't leaked that would have been huge. I am happy USFIV port is coming soon though as I really need a fighter for the PS4 and I haven't got my PS3 plugged in. Also Day of the Tentacle and Suikoden I and II are cool surprises. Uncharted 4 gameplay reveal wasn't mindblowing bnut it was still great and I like the more open environments. And The Order still hasn't won me over.

Overall 7/10
If SFV hadn't leaked it would have been 9/10

javadoze

Big disappointment.

Persona 5 teased... then no gameplay is shown.

Final Fantasy VII on PS4... which is a port of the PC port.

Uncharted and Street Fighter V were cool, but that's it.

No surprises whatsoever. The Game Awards were phenomenal compared to this.

mejin

It was a great but two things they made wrong:

1. Square-Enix trolling
2. No big game for the end

At E3 it was Wild and now it was whatever the name Jaffe invented...This is not cool.

It was a great show. Game after game after game after game was shown. But the ending really made people mad *cough* Square *cough*. Also, Uncharted should have been the finale if they didn't have any "Megatons" the insiders were hyping.

Yes I want more AAA so publishers can keep releasing broken games, cgi trailers and over wrought microtransactions. It's funny how people are so hungry for tripple A after this year, I will take sky torn and no man's sky over just about every other triple A game.

EDIT: Until Dawn has serious potential as a game with friends and family.

Famassu

It was over 2 hours of game after game, so you can't say it was bad. That said, apart from Uncharted 4, it WAS definitely lacking in showcasing those biggest AAA(A) games and they could've showcased upcoming already known games more, first & third party. They mentioned Persona 5 but no footage. Square Enix people like Shinji Hashimoto were there but they showed no FFXV (and dat epic troll, lulz). EA was there and it was awesome they gave free games, but they didn't show Mirror's Edge 2 or Star Wars Battlefront or anything.

Oh well, at least we have fucktons of promising indie games coming.

Philippo

Not bad per se, but aside from SFV which got leaked, it missed heavily on big titles.

I mean, Jaffe's new game? FFVII Pc version? Really?

Come the fuck Sony, you have better games in developement (Horizon, MM, Quantic Dream, Sony Bend etc.), and this is what you consider big?

Still, lots of games announced, that's always welcome.
Although no one of the newly released picked my interest so nothing changed form before

Beyond the Square troll (never allow them on a conference again) and not getting the true pie in the sky stuff like Crash, I thought it was very good.

VERY long UC4 demo. Good footage on Bloodborne. I'm eh on The Order, and No Man's Sky had another big blowout.

The important stuff to me was what Gio dropped. Yakuza 5? Suikoden 2? Party hard.

That SFV leak killed their ender, IMO.

sono

Gold Member
I think I read too much into what was posted on Gaf before hand that meant my expectations were in a different place to what I would have expected had I not read what was posted on Gaf.

If I had not read what was posted on Gaf the conference would have been average.

As I did read what was posted on Gaf my emotions are in a deep dark well beneath the deepest and darkest place.

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW

thenexus6

You can't start with Uncharted 4 unless you have something equally as awesome to end it

Best part was mentioning if game leaked on gaf yet

Frillen

8/10

Great show for not being a E3 show. But Sony should never have allowed that FFVII announcement. Also, people falling for the Vita announcements is exactly the reason why the console will never reach out to a broader audience. People being ok with ports, ports, ports, late ports, gimped ports. You shouldn't be ok with that. not a single exclusive announced, and you're calling it lots of love for the Vita!? LOL!

Anth0ny

4/10

boring as shit, no megatons. street fighter being leaked really hurt it, as that would have been a huge fucking reveal.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I liked it, then again, I didn't join the hype train until the last 2 days of the thread.

You guys thought they were gonna pull all their big guns right now, and announce Crash and FF7 remake? With TLG and GG and God of War?

No wonder people thought that this was bad.

Sifl

The conference itself was like a 7/10, but it was way more disappointing because I started reading the hype thread. How many times are insiders going to tease everyone, just for us to get let down.

T.O.P

Banned
7/10

Good
-What Remains of Edith Fitch
-Grim Fandango coming in Jan
-Bloodburne keeps looking really good

Meh
-Uncharted 4 didn't blew me away like the U2 presentation did at E3
-Until Down could be decent...i guess?

Bad
-That David Jaffe game looked awful
-The Order was the same stuff as always
-Fuckin Square Enix
-Destiny ugh
-Lots of ports for Vita, yay :/
-Nothing new on Persona 5
-No TLG

7/10
Ending was horrendous, Jaffe's game while interesting was in no way going to live up to the final slot of a keynote when you have people hoping for Crash, TLG, God of War, etc.
Should have saved Uncharted for last.

We basically got the best thing they had in the first 5 minutes and it went downhill from there.

EhoaVash

it started out nice but kinda really ..boring

soo much tease .. ..ttoo much tease =/

yeah zelda wii u was the best thing about this week .

As an event taken at face value with no pre-hype or expectations, it was pretty good. In light of all the GAF "insiders" hyping the shit out of it, it was a MASSIVE disappointment. I'd probably give it a 6/10.

As I said in the other thread,

God, some of you people set yourselves up for disappointment. When in the history of ever has Sony ever had a conference that had all the shit some of you expected to show up here? FINAL FANTASY + CRASH + TLG + NEW SHIT + MEGATONS + OMGGG

SV5 was supposed to be the big one and it was spoiled. Ooops. That happens all the time now.

Sony announces stuff year round.

If Crash even exists, I expect it maybe at E3. If TLG is even alive, I expect it at E3. Why the hell would Square be working on a next-gen FF7 when they can't even get KH3 and FF15 out in a reasonable time?

Some you are downright embarrassing in your demands from a December conference. Sony showed a shit ton of games today that we can play next year so people can finally shut the fuck up about "no games" on PS4.

This.

Conference was over 2 hours of STRAIGHT GAMES the entire time. No sales talk, nothing else.

The amount of bitching and complaining, is amazing.

The Square Enix troll was ridiculous though. Can't believe Sony let that happen.

sublimit

Banned
Seeing Miyazaki on stage was an automatic 8/10 for me.And then you have bonus points for Yakuza 5 and FFVII on PS4.

I expected a 7.5, I got a solid 9. If they would have announced that one AAA game it would have been 10/10.

Pleasantly surprised by all of the medium sized megatons. Great job Sony.

#nogameslawl

I liked it, then again, I didn't join the hype train until the last 2 days of the thread.

You guys thought they were gonna pull all their big guns right now, and announce Crash and FF7 remake? With TLG and GG and God of War?

No wonder people thought that this was bad.

I thought people were joking.

Now I see many were serious.

hohoXD123

I thought it was a very strong conference. Extended demos of some of the most highly anticipated games coming out next year running on actual PS4s, Vita getting a lot of love, Yakuza localisation, and Drawn to Death looked pretty cool. If your expectations are insanely high then you'll always be disappointed, though granted some of those tweets from journalists hyping people up weren't helping.

Great start to the conference, the middle of it was fine, but the last part of the conference was so awful that I can't even think about all the cool stuff that was announced.

Man

Amazeton. Two hours of games, games, games... no cheese, no ads, no bs. Then when you sort of think they're done then it's more games, games games.

Allright i guess (lacking something for a "20th birthday")
Was waiting for a major announcement though..
UC4 and Drawn To Death were great!
SE fucked it up so bad

Edit:
I'm scared of The Order: beautiful game, but looks EXTREMELY repetative

Pachimari

Worthy already apologized to me personally and it's all fine. Remember it's first and foremost just entertainment guys. Disappointing yeah, majorly but whatever.

The good things

- Uncharted 4 looking like my dream execution of Uncharted 1.
- Bloodborne actually interesting me with that dungeon and multiplayer.
- Fat Princess being back in Adventure. Didn't get to play it much on PS3.
- Street Fighter V being cross-platform play online.
- Until Dawn seems fun with a bunch of friends but not the game I expected.
- Free PS4 copy of Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare.
- Yakuza 4 and 5 being localized.
- Tearaway Unfolded looking all kinds of awesome.
- Wattam and that hilarious potential.
- Drawn to Death. I were always drawn to MadWorld but this seems interesting.
- No Man's Sky.

- What Remains of Edith Finch, Grim Fandango Remastered, Gang Beast and Super Time Force Ultra with Shu Yoshida caught my attention.

The letdowns
- All the insiders talking about Crash Bandicoot, Horizon and The Last Guardian.
- Square Enix's major trolling. They're really clueless.
- They didn't play much on nostalgia. No revival.
- The Order: 1886 failed to explain to me why I should get it. I won't be there at launch.

I thought it was great! There were actually some megaton announcement although some of them are very trollish. There was a good reason why I did not hopped in the hype train because I knew if the playstation keynote did not hit their "pie-in-the-sky" expectation, it's the worst conference ever!

Some people need to keep their expectations grounded

Top Bottom