Thousands of Amazon workers receive food stamps. Now Bernie Sanders wants the company to pay up.

TheShadowLord

Jan 7, 2018
Do you think Bernie Sander is right that Amazon should pay its employees more to reduce tax cuts as he is proposing? I am not sure if he could get others to jump on board with him.

Thousands of Amazon workers get food stamps. Bernie Sanders wants Amazon to pay for them

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-bernie-sanders-food-stamps-20180824-story.html

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) wants large employers such as Amazon, Walmart and McDonald's to fully cover the cost of food stamps, public housing, Medicaid and other federal assistance received by their employees. The goal, he said, is to force corporations to pay a living wage and curb roughly $150 billion in taxpayer dollars that go to funding federal assistance programs for low-wage workers each year.
Sanders plans to introduce a bill in the Senate on Sept. 5 that would impose a 100% tax on government benefits received by workers at companies with 500 or more employees. For example, if an Amazon employee receives $300 in food stamps, Amazon would be taxed $300.

"At a time of massive wealth and income inequality, the gap between the very rich and everyone else continues to grow wider," Sanders said.
Labor groups say that gap is particularly pronounced at the nation's largest and most profitable companies, including Walmart, which has roughly 2.2 million workers, and Amazon, which employs more than 575,000.
Public records obtained by the New Food Economy, a nonprofit news organization, show that thousands of Amazon employees rely on the government's Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program to make ends meet. As many as 1 in 3 Amazon employees in Arizona — and about 1 in 10 in Pennsylvania and Ohio — receive food stamps, according to an April report by the New Food Economy, based in New York.

Amazon spokeswoman Melanie Etches said the figures were misleading. "They include people who only worked for Amazon for a short period of time and/or who chose to work part-time," she said in a statement. "We have hundreds of full-time roles available, however, some prefer part-time for the flexibility or other personal reasons."

Sanders' bill would be an extension of a petition he started Tuesday calling on the world's richest man, Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, to pay workers a living wage and to improve working conditions at Amazon warehouses. As of Thursday morning, it had 105,000 signatures. (Bezos also the owns the Washington Post.)

"While Mr. Bezos is the most egregious example, the Walton family of Walmart and many other billionaire-owned profitable corporations also enrich themselves off taxpayer assistance while paying their workers poverty-level wages," Sanders said. Representatives for Walmart did not respond to requests for comment.

Bezos, who founded Amazon in 1994, has seen his net worth steadily climb in recent months as the stock market hits record highs. He is worth $157 billion, up from $99 billion a year ago, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. The median Amazon worker, meanwhile, was paid $28,446 last year, according to company filings. (The federal poverty level for a family of four is $24,600.)

Amazon spokeswoman Etches said her company had created more than 130,000 new jobs "with highly competitive pay and full benefits" in the last year. She added that the average hourly wage for full-time workers in U.S. warehouses is more than $15 an hour, when stock and incentive bonuses are factored in.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
I would love for once, they address cost of living increases and inflation that is the real culprit impacting peoples' livelihoods.

You can't have cost of living go up, without wages going up. However, cost of living does not need to increase to remain profitable, so it is a hollow/false increase more oftent han not. Also, you cannot force companies to increase wages beyond federally/state level minimum either, but you can put optics on places raising CoL rates in unethical fashion. Yet nobody seems to want to do that.

Of course, a lot of politicians/bankers make well, bank, off of cost of living increases since a lot of them have ties to banks, interest, and property ownership/management. So no wonder they put their optics on the money source (employment) to keep those increases generated.

Last edited:

Whataburger

Milk Connoisseur
Feb 2, 2018
I would love for once, they address cost of living increases and inflation that is the real culprit impacting peoples' livelihoods.
Most of the people that make "more than enough" have to pay property tax, food, insurance OF ALL KIDS. We got medical, dental, home, car... These fucking people that passed said laws forget that.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Most of the people that make "more than enough" have to pay property tax, food, insurance OF ALL KIDS. We got medical, dental, home, car... These fucking people that passed said laws forget that.
Bingo. They want to tax the fuck out people, then have the corporations cover those losses. It is shifting the blame/narrative off of them, and on to the corporations that are for the most part, working within the laws they set to begin with.

And in the end, the banks stay winning.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
This all plays into my thread the other day about Elizabeth Warren’s bill.

No company should be paying a wage so low that would qualify for government assistance programs...

But they get away with it because it looks good for quarterly earnings reports and shareholder gains.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
This all plays into my thread the other day about Elizabeth Warren’s bill.

No company should be paying a wage so low that would qualify for government assistance programs...

But they get away with it because it looks good for quarterly earnings reports and shareholder gains.
Completely agree, and the government should also focus on CoL increaes they have every part in as well. But that will shine a bright spotlight on them now wouldn't it?

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Completely agree, and the government should also focus on CoL increaes they have every part in as well. But that will shine a bright spotlight on them now wouldn't it?
Chicken or egg, the politicians would lose their gains from the market if they supported CoL increases. Easiest way to destroy the middle class is to subsidize the poorest and stop giving raises to anyone not at the top.

It’s all part of the globalist game of a race to the bottom in the name of fairness and equality. They even have the right fooled into supporting the oligarchs and the left fooled into supporting the communists.

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
This is the starkest example you can have that the free market is not enough.

These workers literally depend on the government to be able to survive and work these jobs. Surely free market capitalists should be able to see the issue.

Snoopycat

Banned
Mar 26, 2017
I worked at Amazon's warehouse one Christmas and it was bad. I was lucky cos I was a maintenance guy and didn't have too much bullshit. While I was there I saw workers fainting, somebody had a heart attack and a lot of other shit, like the water things were always empty. The people there were totally paranoid about losing their jobs cos they were constantly monitored and being threatened if they weren't fast enough. A good example of how paranoid people were is I had a badge and a radio. People would see them and instantly drop their eyes and look at the ground cos the only other people who had badges and radios were managers. I got away with a lot of shit because off the paranoia, but I'd say if you got any alternative between Amazon and some other job, take the alternative