• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thousands Of Fans Sign Petition To Remake 'Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic'

kretos

Banned
resize

best Star Wars game and one of the best games ever made, a remake would be a dream come true

EA scum hold the rights so probably never going to happen but:

EmbellishedRadiantArmyant-size_restricted.gif

I'd be okay if they didn't.

It'll be the normal mess riddled with a day one patch and half a dozen patches after to get it to function, probably MTX and DLC and idpol bullcrap injected into it.

The original was a classic. But I guess people want to see it with nice graphics and maybe a more interactive combat system but imo I'd be happy if they left it alone, no remakes or film adoptions.

mcz117chief

To me it suffers from the same problems that Dragon Age Origins does, it just isn't fun playing it for the second time. It is way too long, the good stuff is very sparse and the gameplay isn't very fun. I recently tried to play it and it just bored me after an hour.

Cato

Banned
I'd be okay if they didn't.

It'll be the normal mess riddled with a day one patch and half a dozen patches after to get it to function, probably MTX and DLC and idpol bullcrap injected into it.

The original was a classic. But I guess people want to see it with nice graphics and maybe a more interactive combat system but imo I'd be happy if they left it alone, no remakes or film adoptions.

That, and also add a bazillion of fetch or guide quests that all look virtually identical to pad it out to >100hours.
And since it is todays Bioware and not Bioware of 15 years ago, probably add a lot of horse armor and mtx too.

Sometimes it is best to keep old games old games and not soil their memories.

Last edited:

Soodanim

We rarely get the remake we imagine in our heads, just remember that. Even after Resident Evil 2 Remake they went and made the 3 Remake and fucked it up.

teezzy

Banned
I dont care much for remakes and remasters and all that. Especially not with KotOR, arguably my all-time favorite game ever.

The original graphics and what the artists were able to do with the resources they had at the time are part of the charm. I grew up playing it on Xbox, but later rediscovered it on PC and loved it just as much.

Remakes just feel so much colder especially when you already have love for what the original was. Game is still incredible to this day. No remake please, it's just not the same.

LRKD

Is there a petition I can sign telling ea not to remake kotor?

People at ea will probably find a way to even fuck up a simple “hd” port. Kotor is easy buy on steam or Xbox anyways and is still a 10/10 game worth playing.

If ea is going to do anything kotor, it just needs to be a new game.

GreyHorace

To me it suffers from the same problems that Dragon Age Origins does, it just isn't fun playing it for the second time. It is way too long, the good stuff is very sparse and the gameplay isn't very fun. I recently tried to play it and it just bored me after an hour.

I agree with this sentiment but not with the Origins part. I find DA:Origins a much more fun game to replay than KOTOR. The game is built for replayability what with the multiple Origins system.

But back to KOTOR, yeah it was a fun game to play. But going back to it you can definitely see it's showing it's age and not as special as it once was. Especially when you know the twist.

AceVader0

Neo Member
Wasn't it kind of ported not long ago? I mean, I completed it again on iPhone a couple years ago I think. Although it was still messy and buggy and it crashed often. But I think that was part of the magic of playing KOTOR anyway :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Is there a petition I can sign telling ea not to remake kotor?

People at ea will probably find a way to even fuck up a simple “hd” port. Kotor is easy buy on steam or Xbox anyways and is still a 10/10 game worth playing.

If ea is going to do anything kotor, it just needs to be a new game.

Exactly. I mean, first of all, I think the game has not aged badly at all. I'd say it's completely enjoyable today, as it was back in the day. If they can make a proper port/remaster for 16:9 screens, HDR, new fonts, etc. that would be fine to me. I mean I think they are already going to fuck this up on movies, so let's not add fuel to the fire.

mcz117chief

I agree with this sentiment but not with the Origins part. I find DA:Origins a much more fun game to replay than KOTOR. The game is built for replayability what with the multiple Origins system.

But back to KOTOR, yeah it was a fun game to play. But going back to it you can definitely see it's showing it's age and not as special as it once was. Especially when you know the twist.
The origins aren't really that interesting thought, just a short prologue.

Topher

Gold Member
I would love to see what a smaller development house could do with the franchise. Spiders would be perfect, imo.

Modern Bioware aren't up to the task, it would be meddled with and altered by both EA and Disney, with the story and characters rewritten to match the dogma of the cult of woke.

A nice remaster with a graphics overhaul and maybe redone controls might be OK, but a full remake would be shite.

JimiNutz

Banned
I tried to play this for the first time ten years ago and the gameplay felt really dated even back then.

Granted I don't like turn based RPGs but I think this would need a huge overhaul in the gameplay department to resonate with anyone other than original fans of the game and the hardcore nerds.

Hudo

Are they even allowed to do it considering the original is not part of the offical lore any more?
Ah, I haven't considered that. Yeah, Disney retconned all the Old Republic stuff and the Extended Universe stuff into being non-canon...

AceVader0

Neo Member
Ah, I haven't considered that. Yeah, Disney retconned all the Old Republic stuff and the Extended Universe stuff into being non-canon...

It was already non-canon to begin with. "Expanded Universe" was a nice way to say "Yeah, go fuck with your toys, but that's not my Star Wars". The last part was literally said by George Lucas.
If anything, now it's more canon than ever. Because Dave Filoni was such a huge fan of Star Wars that he started pulling things from the Expanded Universe, like motherfucking Thrawn. I mean, Darth Bane's force ghost appears on the Clone Wars TV show talking to Yoda!! That's top level fanservice for the Expanded Universe right there.

I've got not doubt we are having Old Republic movies sooner rather than later. Revan is definitely going to show up.

Oof, I seriously disagree on DA:O.

But that's mostly due to the fact that I didnt play it properly until last year, and to me, having never played it properly beforehand - that game was rough and janky to me.

I don't know if that game is accessible still to new players by today.

But like KOTOR, which I still can play today, I think its attributed to me having played it as a kid so nostalgia helps despite its aging mechanics.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I never played the Kotors games but it's on my list.

And somehow, the appeal I have for them is partially due to the fact they are old games (I like replaying old looking games). So a remake would take part of the charm away for me.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Xbox Series X or Xbox One would do you good and with a £1 GamePass Ultimate first month you can beat it and its sequel.

I think the Xbox versision is non widescreen.. I looked into it and when I saw that it was a hard pass for me. I really need to fiddle with the Steam version to get it working correctly.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think the Xbox versision is non widescreen.. I looked into it and when I saw that it was a hard pass for me. I really need to fiddle with the Steam version to get it working correctly.

Oh, I thought they patched KOTOR2 to support widescreen... but of a shame if they did not :(.

As much as I would love to see it happen, I neither trust current Bioware to do it properly, nor think EA would leave it be.

Only turning a profit is a failure to EA, it must turn all the profit.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

I can't remember exactly what I did, but I played it two years ago on a Windows 10 machine and it was an easy fix, no hours spent troubleshooting.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I can't remember exactly what I did, but I played it two years ago on a Windows 10 machine and it was an easy fix, no hours spent troubleshooting.

I think there was no easy gamepad support. I think that was my main issue. I managed to fix teh graphical settings but i needed to mess with joy2key and stuff to get it working properly with a gamepad and it never worked correctly. I shoudl jsut bite the bullet and play with M+K

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I think there was no easy gamepad support. I think that was my main issue. I managed to fix teh graphical settings but i needed to mess with joy2key and stuff to get it working properly with a gamepad and it never worked correctly. I shoudl jsut bite the bullet and play with M+K

Ahhh, yeah okay. I played with KBM so no idea on that one. KBM works okay for what it is, the KOTOR combat is kinda shit anyway regardless of what you play with.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
PLaying it now on XsX with its BC improvements. it plays better to me on Xbox with a controller than on pc.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Once of my favourite games of all time. Worth the OG xbox alone.

Same combat or Remake it Sekiro/ fallen order combat. That would be the dream

Last edited:

Imotekh

If I recall correctly the first Kotor game manual had a whole thing on how probability was based on virtual D20s or something which my brain struggled to compute. I may have hallucinated the whole thing.

I would rather they just took the concept and RPG elements and made something new honestly.

I always preferred KOTOR 2 anyway even if half the game was missing, the writing was much better and some of the character revelations were dark in a way Star Wars has rarely been, without being too dark if you know what I mean.

for example your cliched scoundrel pilot Han Solo ripoff plays Pazaak in his head constantly as a meditation exercise to shield his thoughts from Force Sensitive people to hide the fact he used to be part of a Sith Death Squad that went around executing Jedi

Top Bottom