• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ has Darksiders II running on Wii U

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Taken from Eurogamer:

The third-party game footage shown during Nintendo's E3 press conference this week to demonstrate Wii U was taken from PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 code – but at least one game is already up and running on the new console.

And it looks just as good on Wii U as it does on PS3 and Xbox 360.

That game is THQ's Darksiders II, which developer Vigil spent five weeks building for Wii U in anticipation of a reveal at E3.

"We have Darksiders II completely running on the Wii U right now," THQ core games boss Danny Bilson told Eurogamer today.

"It took about five weeks. Coming into the show we were ready to go. We could have demonstrated it on the hardware but they [Nintendo] decided not to have full games shown in the booth."

Instead, as confirmed by Nintendo this week, PS3 and Xbox 360 footage was shown to reveal that Darksiders II is set for launch on Wii U, due out next year.

"But if you were to go into Vigil in Austin, Texas right now, Darksiders II is fully running on the new hardware," Bilson continued.

"The Darksiders team was one of the first teams to get dev kits. We've had dedicated engineers on it working seven day weeks leading up to the show.

"I've got all the emails. We now have it running with the controller. So we could have shown it."

Nintendo is yet to fully reveal the Wii U specs, making power comparisons with the PS3 and Xbox 360 difficult.

"Some of it is still in flux," Bilson said. "There are still some improvements to be made to some parts of it."

But, the Wii U version of Darksiders II will "absolutely" look as good as on PS3 and Xbox 360 versions.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-09-thq-has-darksiders-ii-running-on-wii-u

"The Darksiders team was one of the first teams to get dev kits. We've had dedicated engineers on it working seven day weeks leading up to the show.

So everyone just recently got the dev kits? I thought some pre E3 rumors pointed to some devs having it for months.

Seems strange that Nintendo had Ubi show their game at the roundtable, but not let Darkstalkers be shown.

EDIT: I think it was reported that the "biggest" devs were the first to get one Comedy.

Truth101

Banned
Most Interesting part about the articles is that a Western 3rd Party studio was one of the first ones to receive a Wii U DEV KIT.

Keyser Soze said:
Well done. What an accomplishment. Congratulations.

Did you miss the part where it only took them 5 weeks to get this up and running.

Jin34

Nintendo is yet to fully reveal the Wii U specs, making power comparisons with the PS3 and Xbox 360 difficult.

"Some of it is still in flux," Bilson said. "There are still some improvements to be made to some parts of it."

I'll take RAM for $500, Alex.

Pocks

A Vigil developer actually said that the hardware is more powerful than 360/PS3, so I wish they would have pushed Bilson some more on the look. Granted, if the final hardware is still in flux as he says, it's a bit difficult to give specifics.

The important thing from the article is that they were able to get an engine up and running in just 5 weeks time.

J-Rock

Banned
'Coming into the show we were ready to go. We could have demonstrated it on the hardware but they [Nintendo] decided not to have full games shown in the booth."

'We now have it running with the controller. So we could have shown it."

What the hell Nintendo. Ugh.

As excited as I am for the Wii U, and as skeptical as I was that they would have a powerful machine, I am actually quite surprised that we are talking about a games machine looking as good as the others five years after they launch.

I'm excited for Nintendo's own games, but to think about Darksiders 2 a year later "looking the same" is not exciting. That's not an exciting product. The extra screen doesn't make it exciting. The added gameplay possibilities doesn't make it exciting because it was designed for other consoles first. I don't get the logic of asking for games like this.

Pocks

Sgt.Pepper said:
Five weeks is barely scratching the surface. I'm kinda optimistic on Wii U graphical prowess.

Yeah, that's probably about the amount of time that Ubisoft Montreal had with Killer Freaks. I'm not really worried about the graphical power of the Wii U.. I'm more concerned about unified online system, at least when it comes to friends, purchases, cloud saving, etc.

Truth101

Banned
I feel like the Wii U is going to launch June or July next year, so Devs should have 53 to 57 weeks to get games up and running for launch.

Fantastic

If you have nothing to add, other than being a blatant troll, get out.

remnant

Banned
J-Rock said:
If you think about it this is a smart move. If they showed full games now people would think that is the best they could with the tech.

Better to wait a year, hear the feedback, make the necessary adjustments in hardware and have a proper showing next year.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
J-Rock said:
Seems that they simply wanted to demonstrate the controller tech at E3 and nothing else beyond that.

Wolves Evolve said:
As excited as I am for the Wii U, and as skeptical as I was that they would have a powerful machine, I am actually quite surprised that we are talking about a games machine looking as good as the others five years after they launch.

I'm excited for Nintendo's own games, but to think about Darksiders 2 a year later "looking the same" is not exciting. That's not an exciting product. The extra screen doesn't make it exciting. The added gameplay possibilities doesn't make it exciting because it was designed for other consoles first. I don't get the logic of asking for games like this.

You hit the nail on the head. Games set to release this year on the PS3/360 are not great showpieces for a new console releasing next year. Give us new entries, or new franchises.

Nintendo wanted all the focus on the controller, which is understandable.

Its not like they told THQ you cant show it and then proceed to show their own Wii U titles. They really didnt announce anything as far as real software. Makes me think they have some event later this year. SPACEWORLD PERHAPS?!?!?

bridegur said:
I don't find this that encouraging.

We really can't know until we get hardware specs and more details.

But I kind of agree if we take it at face value.

The proposition seems to be "Hey, buy this new system because it can produce games that look as good as that other console you've had for five years!" At least, that is the case for those of us not really that enthused by the controller and see it as largely a cool gimmick.

comedy bomb said:
You hit the nail on the head. Games set to release this year on the PS3/360 are not great showpieces for a new console releasing next year. Give us new entries, or new franchises.

Darksiders II has a Q2 2012 release date on PS3 and Xbox 360.

J-Rock

Banned
bridegur said:
I don't find this that encouraging.

It's a port. Not a built form the ground up game for the system. Hell, there are PS3/360 ports where the 360 version is the better quality version. Get off this shit already. And devkits aren't even final yet.

BY2K

Membero Americo
dallow_bg said:
That really means nothing.
The game isn't close to being complete anyway.

Yes it means something. 5 weeks to have a currently under development game ruining on a console for which it wasn't made for is fast.

antonz

Gamer @ Heart said:
Nintendo wanted all the focus on the controller, which is understandable.

Its not like they told THQ you cant show it and then proceed to show their own Wii U titles. They really didnt announce anything as far as real software. Makes me think they have some event later this year. SPACEWORLD PERHAPS?!?!?
Depending on release window they could very well have a big fall show. There was that report out of australia that Nintendo reserved a ton of space at a show this fall.

I expect Nintendo is going to do a long hype build up

J-Rock said:
It's a port. Not a built form the ground up game for the system. Hell, there are PS3/360 ports where the 360 version is the better quality version. Get off this shit already. And devkits aren't even final yet.

That's not the worrying part. The worrying part is "will look as good," which is a predictor of future quality, not what they were able to accomplish in 5 weeks.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
BY2K said:
Yes it means something. 5 weeks to have a currently under development game ruining on a console for which it wasn't made for is fast.
The dev kit is a PC with no final specs.
The game is "running"? The game is incomplete. I'm sure they got a test level done for E3.
Not some alien tech they have to learn from the ground up, there's a lot that's shared among modern hardware.

J-Rock

Banned
Vic said:
Seems that they simply wanted to demonstrate the controller tech at E3 and nothing else beyond that.

Well that's what I wanted to see. How this kind of game could use that kind of controller. Ah well. My butt is only a little hurt. I'll be fine.

remnant

Banned
comedy bomb said:
Would you preferred they showed nothing, and just taken them at their word that they have third party games past spongebob and lego?

Even if this was a super next gen machine, with power dripping out of it's ass it would still take a month to port a game over and probably not look like that huge an improvement.

Porting a full game over in 5 weeks to new tech is pretty impressive. This is Darksiders 2, not angry birds.

Sciz

dallow_bg said:
After all the headaches developers had getting PS3 development up and running this generation, having a build on brand new hardware at parity with the other two in just five weeks is very, very good.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I wanna see how enhanced it is from current consoles on the final version :-/.

J-Rock

Banned
EternalGamer said:
That's not the worrying part. The worrying part is "will look as good," which is a predictor of future quality, not what they were able to accomplish in 5 weeks.

Somone get me a gun to put to my forehead. Please. I'm ready.

Oni Link 666 said:

Ah, I didn't know this. That makes much more sense. I had it in my head it was 3 months away. Yes, if I was interested in multiplatform games, I would be getting them on Wii U next year.

goldenpp72

Keyser Soze said:
Well done. What an accomplishment. Congratulations.

WHOAAAAAA

Sciz said:
After all the headaches developers had getting PS3 development up and running this generation, having a build on brand new hardware at parity with the other two in just five weeks is very, very good.

I bet gun on 360 was a big achievement too

BY2K

Membero Americo
dallow_bg said:
The dev kit is a PC with no final specs.
The game is "running"? The game is incomplete. I'm sure they got a test level done for E3.
Not some alien tech they have to learn from the ground up, there's a lot that's shared among modern hardware.

With all the trouble some devs had with the PS3, knowing that it only took 5 weeks to get a running version of a game based on PS3/360 hardware on Wii U is excellent news.

It DOES mean something.

EDIT: Beaten.

remnant said:
Would you preferred they showed nothing, and just taken them at their word that they have third party games past spongebob and lego?

Even if this was a super next gen machine, with power dripping out of it's ass it would still take a month to port a game over and probably not look like that huge an improvement.

Porting a full game over in 5 weeks to new tech is pretty impressive. This is Darksiders 2, not angry birds.

But only Nintendo could get a way with "showing" a new system without showing a single game running on it or without any hardware specs at all. And they furthermore have the hubris just say things like "check the boxes" and trust us" when they tell us that it will have a good online interface and powerful hardware without giving us any real evidence whatsoever.

I want these things to be true, but I see very good reasons to remain skeptical.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Sciz said:
Like I said, you're really reading way too much into that.

I've no doubt the final game will be fine.

Truth101 said:
If you have nothing to add, other than being a blatant troll, get out.

I am a fan of what Wii U could bringing to the table. I just don't see why people should congratulate developers on porting a game to a system that is five years older than the one it is already running competently on.

When Limbo and Fable III were announced for PC no one was impressed about it. When multiplatform games come out, no one is impressed. This is the same thing. This is like getting excited that Madden 11 came out on PS3 and 360 at the same time

If they port the game to Wii U, and competently use its features to make an interesting alternative to the PC/PS3/360 version, then it might be interesting. If they use the Wii U to make a completely new game and experience, unavailable for any other platform, that is even better.

Not showing interest in something that is totally non impressive is not trolling

Oni Link 666 said:

I thought it was October of this year. Must be one of he other 20 titles coming out that month lol

Would you preferred they showed nothing

Yes. Show it when you have something tangible to show.

Deku

Banned
So between Ubi & THQ we have two devs now confirming the specs havn‛t been finalized. Seems like Nintendo decided to change something right before E3 rendering these devs early info at WiiU based on the devkits innacurate.

BY2K said:
With all the trouble some devs had with the PS3, knowing that it only took 5 weeks to get a running version of a game based on PS3/360 hardware on Wii U is excellent news.

It DOES mean something.

EDIT: Beaten.

Its not impressive to me that they got it running in 5 weeks, but that they felt it was good enough to show to the public.

EternalGamer said:

Nah, that doesn't indicate future quality. It will be a first gen game for a new console, so it shouldn't be that surprising that it will be close to the other consoles where it will be a much later generation game. Then as been said and reposted in this thread, they already said it was more powerful. I would attribute that comment to being a poor choice of words before anything else.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Gamer @ Heart said:
Its not impressive to me that they got it running in 5 weeks, but that they felt it was good enough to show to the public.

Then we will surely see more of Darksiders 2 on Wii U (and how it works with the Wii U controller) in the coming weeks.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Gamer @ Heart said:
That's more true actually but it's really just PC hardware right now with a few extras.

antonz

Deku said:
So between Ubi & THQ we have two devs now confirming the specs havn‛t been finalized. Seems like Nintendo decided to change something right before E3 rendering these devs early info at WiiU based on the devkits innacurate.
At this point in console development Final dev kit specs are never set. Generally at this point Devkits are frankensteins of generic parts

remnant

Banned
EternalGamer said:
But only Nintendo could get a way with "showing" a new system without showing a single game running on it or without any hardware specs at all. And they furthermore have the hubris just say things like "check the boxes" and trust us" when they tell us that it will have a good online interface and powerful hardware without giving us any real evidence whatsoever.

I want these things to be true, but I see very good reasons to remain skeptical.
I don't know what to tell you. Only Sony had the balls to charge $599 for the PS3.

Nintendo isn't relasing this product for a year and a half. There is plenty of time to show more details about the console.

Top Bottom