• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ Nordic releasing Red Faction (Ze German Ädischn)

takoyaki

51kqgog6aol8jo9j.jpg

A) Not a typo
B) June 13, 2017; 29,99 €
C) exclusive to Germany, but I think it's identical to the older (and cheaper) collection called 'Red Faction Complete'

This might only be relevant to GermanGAF and physical collectors. But I thought it was a really fun and clever way for THQ Nordic to celebrate their success in getting the whole uncensored Red Faction series off 'The Index'* while poking fun at the fact that those games were considered worth listing in the first place.

*[German list of games that are considered harmful to people under 18, comes with a ban on advertising as well as displaying said games on store shelves. The system has gotten much better in recent years, almost no games are added while older games are frequently taken off if a publisher pays for the cost of appealing the older rulings.]

THQ Nordic PR said:
„Ze German Ädischn” ist unsere Art, die Rückkehr aller „Red Faction”-Titel vom deutschen Index zu feiern!
Vernichten Sie alles und jeden, von Gegnern bis zur Spielumgebung, völlig legal und fast jugendfrei, in:
Red Faction, Red Faction 2, Red Faction: Guerilla, Red Faction: Armageddon, Red Faction: Armageddon 'Path to War' DLC

„Ze German Ädischn” is our way of celebrating the return of all Red Faction games from being listed on the German Index!
Destroy everything and anyone, from enemies to your surroundings, completely legal and now almost suitable for minors, in: Red Faction, Red Faction 2, Red Faction: Guerilla, Red Faction: Armageddon, Red Faction: Armageddon 'Path to War' DLC

Backstory for the Red Faction series and THQ Nordic's efforts over the last year:

October 10, 2016 (Red Faction 1 gets taken off the list after 13 years)
Der Ego Shooter Red Faction kam nur in einer zensierten USK 18-Version in den deutschen Handel für den PC und PS2, die sowohl Bluteffekte, als auch getötete Gegner verschwinden ließ. Auch beim Einsatz des Flammenwerfers gab es Änderungen: anstatt erstmal schreiend umherzurennen, waren die Gegner in der deutschen Fassung sofort tot.
2003 kam es dann zu der ersten Indizierung durch die BPjM
Wie THQ Nordic gestern bekannt gegeben hat, konnte man die vorzeitige Listenstreichung nach 13 Jahren Indizierung durch viele Gespräche und Überzeugungskraft erwirken. Laut eigener Aussage wird man noch öfter mit der BPjM zu tun haben, um auch andere indizierte Games aus ihrem Katalog streichen zu lassen.

February 27, 2017 (4 months later, Red Faction 2 gets taken off the list)
Jetzt, vier Monate später, gelang es dem Studio auch die Fortsetzung Red Faction II vom Index zu holen. Es erschien bei uns nur in einer zensierten USK 16-Fassung und war in der EU-Version seit September 2009 indiziert.

March 29, 2017 (the last game still on the list, Red Faction: Guerrilla, gets taken off as well)
Als letzten Schritt gab die BPjM heute die Listenstreichung des dritten Teils, Red Faction: Guerrilla (2009) bekannt. Auch dieser kam nur zensiert zu uns und wurde 2009 indiziert. Damit sind jetzt also alle Teile der Reihe vom Index.

takoyaki

My German is a little rusty but this means red faction German edition ?

It's misspelled on purpose to make fun of the old, stereotypically bad German pronunciation of English. Think German James Bond villain from the 60s saying something in English ;)

Mivey

Bit late for an April first joke. Still, nice that they are willing to actually spend money on bringing this to retail. That's some commitment right there.

Strain

PARTY TIME!

I seriously want total remakes of the first 2 games with better shooting, AI, level design that relies more on terrain deformation and an improved story.
I don't need a remake of the second game but, I'd gladly pick up a remake of the original.

takoyaki

Where these games ever released in Germany before? I know they have weird ratings stuff.

Red Faction 1 was censored by the publisher but still listed on the Index

Red Faction 2 was put on the Index, but a censored version was allowed to be sold in German

Red Faction Guerrilla was censored by the publisher but still listed on the Index

The whole German rating system is overly complicated and might have outlived its purpose a long time ago, but if a game is put in this list called ‘Index', it stays on there for 25 years. If a publisher puts in the time and money, they can appeal the ruling.

Then there's the USK that hands out rating 0-18, like the ESRB or CERO. They can also refuse to hand out a rating (recent example was Carmageddon Remake). A game can only be put on the Index if it didn't receive a USK rating (which happened with Carmageddon).

This used to be different before the most recent revision of the law, any game could be put on the Index and Red Faction 1&2 were among them.

Like I said, very complicated, very bureaucratic, very German. I hope we switch to PEGI at some point and call it a day.

Red Faction Guerrilla deserves a true sequel; it wasn't a perfect game, but I loved it and the destructibility spoiled a lot of other open world games for me (GTA for example just feels so static, where I can't drive through even a tiny wall because it's invincible.

Instead, we got the woefully mediocre corridor shooter Armageddon that barely kept the destructibility that the series is so famous for.

A current gen open-world game with building destructibility would be absolutely fantastic (fingers crossed that Crackdown managed to be really great in this regard, hopefully it's not locked into the multiplayer mode by requiring the Cloud).

Taker34

Banned
I wonder if we will ever adopt PEGI here but thankfully the Bpjm is a lot less strict. At least you can be sure that he few banned AAA games could be re released after only a few years if a publisher is willing to pay for another rating process.

Also that name is way too cool, I need a physical copy of that. Ja! Sehr gut!

Samikaze

What did RF2 lack compared to the original? Does it at least have better opportunities to blow up the environment to your advantage?

I last played it when it first came out, but if I recall correctly, No. There were less options. You could only blow up certain walls.
The story was also unrelated to the first one. You were some super-soldier and your team betrays you. You get vengeance.

HeeHo

Speaking of Red Faction, Guerilla is $5 on steam. I was so enamored with the amount of destruction in it when I played the demo on 360, I decided to buy it. It's the steam edition so it supports achievements, trading cards, etc. I played a wee bit of it. The protag is so generic looking it's hard to get past but the destruction is fun.

I thought more games would've elaborated on this but not many have.

The german rating system for games and movies is so retarded.

The bigger the ugly giant rating sign on the box is the less underaged people buy it obviously.

Or in my case never buy a ugly german version ever again in my life.

Fou-Lu

I wonder if a Red Faction game that used the hype around the Red Rising series as a basis could have done well? If the Red Rising movie does well it could be the perfect time for a Red Faction return.

I last played it when it first came out, but if I recall correctly, No. There were less options. You could only blow up certain walls.
The story was also unrelated to the first one. You were some super-soldier and your team betrays you. You get vengeance.

I see. Even in the original RF, I felt that there weren't enough opportunities to blow up walls. I'd love to see Volition to fix that if they went back to those games justice.

On a slight tangent, there's an excellent freeware game, Celestial Impact, that's essentially Red Faction meets Mario Galaxy. And you can deform the entire planet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFXBEE0adVg

takoyaki

Red Faction Complete is 11,99€ on Steam right now. Why wait for this?

To support the efforts and clever marketing on THQ Nordic's part.

And some people still prefer a physical release, this is the first time that you can get all the Red Faction games in their uncensored form in Germany without having to import.

I see. Even in the original RF, I felt that there weren't enough opportunities to blow up walls. I'd love to see Volition to fix that if they went back to those games justice.

On a slight tangent, there's an excellent freeware game, Celestial Impact, that's essentially Red Faction meets Mario Galaxy. And you can deform the entire planet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFXBEE0adVg

This freeware game looks thread worthy, needs more work but the potential is there

Instead, we got the woefully mediocre corridor shooter Armageddon that barely kept the destructibility that the series is so famous for..
Armageddon was more true to the roots of the series and there was a lot of destruction. There was also a "redestruction"-tool which was kinda cool. And horde-mode was very fun. I liked it more than Guerilla.

Guerilla was good, but the open-world aspect of it wasn't that great, even for the standards back in the day.

IMO: Armageddon > 1 > Guerilla > 2

Redmoon

Although I dont live in Germany, this gives me an excuse to replay RF1 and RFG again :p.
RFG,speficially, left me spoiled with open world theme while having freedom of destroying practically anything. I still remember getting like 2 fps in that game when I took out buildings/structures cause my pc's cpu was so bad back then. RF1 is just another example of a good game that was released during what I thought was the golden age of singleplayer shooters.

Would love to see remasters or something for either one of those two. RF2 left me feeling meh, and RFA felt like a chore to play.

Top Bottom