• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ now selling off Darksiders, Homeworld, Red Faction and More

Orayn

Pity Lot 5 is such a mixed bag. Some good stuff, some intriguing stuff (Pax Imperia? Wow, talk about a blast from the past) and some utterly shittacular IPs. It's like getting a blue Kobe steak with MickyDees fries.

And where's Impossible Creatures?

Though developed by Relic, it was published by Microsoft Game Studios, who have a habit of owning nearly every IP they've ever touched. Just ask MechWarrior...

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Some of my best memories in gaming are playing Homeworld 1. When I found out that I could steal ships and they wouldn't add to my maximum count, I almost broke the game with my massive fleet. I dominated everything in the last half of the game haha

That there isn't a Homeworld 3 is a tragedy. It would allow a new generation to experience the game series. I hope it gets sold to a great RTS developer who can make an exciting game.

Haha, You just reminded me of my first playthrough of Homeworld 1. I found a glitch where as long as my ship's latched on to the enemy ships, I could reassign my ships to steal another and the previously held ships would remain paralyzed until I had time to completely turn them. My fleet post jump was so extended that after the Gardener section, I had to spent a lot of time after each jump moving my frigates into proximity with the mothership and support units.

Relic (present day) doesn't really have any of the original members from Homeworld 1/2. On the other hand, Blackbird Interactive was founded by the co-founder of Relic and has some of the original art team on board. They're making a new MMORTS? IP called Hardware. From the concept art, I'm not going to claim that it's Homeworld, but it's basically a redone Homeworld opening scene.

Gas Powered Games, buy Supreme Commander!!!!!! Take back what is rightfully yours!!

Sadly, considering that they were just saved from shuttering by being bought out by Wargaming.net, I'm not so sure they have the disposable income to purchase a IP with an unsure future.

Saty

Available IP includes the Darksiders, Red Faction, and Homeworld franchises, and is being sold off in six separate lots.

Initial bids must be submitted by April 1, with final bids required by April 15. Once the bidding process is complete, the sales will be presented to the Court for approval. THQ expects to complete the sale process by mid-May.

The six lots are as follows:

Lot 1: Red Faction
•Red Faction
•Red Faction Armageddon
•Red Faction 2
•Red Faction: Guerrilla

Lot 2: Homeworld

•Homeworld
•Homeworld 2

Lot 3: MX
•MX Alive
•MX vs ATV Untamed
•MX Superfly featuring Ricky Carmichael
•MX vs. ATV Alive Tournament
•MX Unleashed
•MX vs. ATV Unleashed
•MX vs ATV Reflex
•MX vs. ATV: On The Edge

Lot 4: Darksiders
•Darksiders
•Darksiders 2

Lot 5: Other Owned Software
•All Star Cheer Squad
•Elements of Destruction
•All Star Cheer Squad 2
•Fantastic Pets
•All Star Karate
•Frontlines: Fuel of War
•Baja: Edge of Control
•Full Spectrum Warrior 1
•Full Spectrum Warrior 2: Ten Hammers
•Battle of the Bands
•Beat City
•Juiced
•Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights
•Big Beach Sports
•Big Beach Sports 2
•Lock's Quest: Construction Combat
•Big Family Games
•Neighborhood Games
•Crawler
•Pax Imperia
•de Blob
•de Blob 2
•Stuntman: Ignition
•Summoner
•Summoner 2
•Deadly Creatures
•Deep Six
•Terranium
•Destroy All Humans!
•Destroy All Humans! 2
•Destroy All Humans! Big Willy Unleashed
•Destroy All Humans! Path of the Furon
•The Outfit
•Titan Quest
•Titan Quest: Immortal Throne
•uDraw
•Dood's Big Adventure
•World of Zoo
•Drawn to Life
•Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter

Lot 6: Licensed Software
•Costume Quest
•Stacking
•Scripps Spelling Bee (Scripps)
•Daniel X (SueJack)
•Sherlock Holmes and the Mystery of Osborne House
•Deepak Chopra's Leela (Curious Holdings)
•Fancy Nancy: Tea Party Time! (Harper Collins)
•Supreme Commander
•Supreme Commander Forged Alliance
•Jeopardy
•Jeopardy 2
•The Biggest Loser
•Journey to the Center of the Earth
•Truth or Lies
•Let's Ride Best of Breed
•Vampire Legends: Power of Three (dtp)
•Marvel Super Hero Squad: Comic Combat
•Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet
•Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet 2
•Wheel of Fortune
•Wheel of Fortune 2
•World of Zoo
•Nancy Drew: The Hidden Staircase
•Worms 2
•Worms Battle Islands
•Worms Open Warfare
•Worms: A Space Oddity
•Worms: Open Warfare 2 (Team 17)
•Nexuiz
•Paws & Claws Marine Rescue
•Paws & Claws Pampered Pets Resort 3D
•PurrPals 2
•Rio
•You Don't Know Jack (Jellyvision)
•Rocket Riot
•Screwjumper (Frozen Codebase)

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-02-27-thq-auctioning-remaining-ip-on-april-1

I will buy ping pals.

What is "written evidence of authority to enter into the anticipated transaction" and how do I get it?

I am so serious right now I swear it will be mine.

Edit: After actually reading they split it up into lots fuck you thq.

It's not in any of the lots! I was after it too.

EVIL

MC_Hify

So if the low end on the high value assests was $500k for Homefront I wonder what these will go for?

And does that man Double Fine would have to buy the entirety of lot 6 to get back Costume Quest and Stacking?

I really hope Darksiders ends up with someone who appreciate the franchise, alot of people are asking for Platinum to take it, but I am not so sure, Bayonetta's story was so meeeeh, Darksiders has an edge when it comes to story, also Bayonetta feels japanese, Darksiders american, both are good in their own merits, but when you make a japanese developer do an american game it won't end good IMO, DmC didn't set well with players, Operation Racoon City was fun but still not worth 60$ at all, so it is complicated.

As for Lot.5: it has something awesome, Crawler Vigil games believed they were doing something amazing and undone before with Crawler, I really want to see what they were up to, they are very talented, so that's something to look forward to, also there is Frontlines Fuel of War which can help any developer wanting to get into FPS and afraid to make a new IP, Full Spectrum Warrior can also help a developer seeking tactical game, there is lack of those nowadays, de Blob is cool as well right ?!

well I hope we see future to most of the big titles, especially Darksiders & Crawler.

I would like to see Sony Santa Monica do a Darksiders game.
Eh... No thanks. DS2 was much better than 1 simply because they versed farther away from GoW formula. BTW, why would you want two identical franchises from the same dev? Because that's all DS would become in their hands, a GoW set to pseudo-christian mythology... Really, no thanks.

EVIL

So if the low end on the high value assests was $500k for Homefront I wonder what these will go for?

And does that man Double Fine would have to buy the entirety of lot 6 to get back Costume Quest and Stacking?

I am actually not really sure if they want to go back to those ip's, since they are kind of a no sequel company.

Eh... No thanks. DS2 was much better than 1 simply because they versed farther away from GoW formula. BTW, why would you want two identical franchises from the same dev? Because that's all DS would become in their hands, a GoW set to pseudo-christian mythology... Really, no thanks.

I know where you are coming from, and I agree -mostly-, but maybe new series for Santa Monica can help them get away from the GoW setting, I think they will be able to make a great DS game, heck I thought Santa Monica should handle Heavenly Swords 2 and try doing something different.

you have anyone else in mind for DS ?!, -I hope you don't say Platinum-

Lot 5: Other Owned Software
•All Star Cheer Squad
•Elements of Destruction
•All Star Cheer Squad 2
•Fantastic Pets
•All Star Karate
•Frontlines: Fuel of War
•Baja: Edge of Control
•Full Spectrum Warrior 1
•Full Spectrum Warrior 2: Ten Hammers
•Battle of the Bands
•Beat City
•Juiced
•Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights
•Big Beach Sports
•Big Beach Sports 2
•Lock's Quest: Construction Combat
•Big Family Games
•Neighborhood Games
•Crawler
•Pax Imperia
•de Blob
•de Blob 2

•Stuntman: Ignition
•Summoner
•Summoner 2
•Deadly Creatures
•Deep Six
•Terranium
•Destroy All Humans!
•Destroy All Humans! 2
•Destroy All Humans! Big Willy Unleashed
•Destroy All Humans! Path of the Furon

•The Outfit
•Titan Quest
•Titan Quest: Immortal Throne
•uDraw
•Dood's Big Adventure
•World of Zoo
•Drawn to Life
•Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter

Nintendo, I swear to God you sons of bitches better buy this lot and do these franchises the Nintendo justice. They would be damn awesome with Nintendo teams behind them.

Do it you chodes.

Bagu

Nintendo, I swear to God you sons of bitches better buy this lot and do these franchises the Nintendo justice. They would be damn awesome with Nintendo teams behind them.

Do it you chodes.
I get de Blob and the Draw stuff to an extent, but Destroy all Humans?

Deadstar

Wargaming.net you mean, since GPG got bought out by 'em. But no way are they going to buy a single player franchise.

Supreme Commander isn't a single player franchise, it's one of the best RTS's ever made. With good multiplayer infrastructure SupCom 3 could be huge. I hope WarGaming makes the purchase.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Summoner x Zenimax

Bethesda or Arkane can do it.

I believe Volition's tech was part of the package when they were sold. Whoever picks up the Red Faction IP doesn't get GeoMod, just the name and rights to past games.

yeah the engine and geo-mod with Vol and without geo-mod RF is useless.

I really hope Deep Sliver get RF so Volition can make Guerrilla 2.

bluemax

Banned
I'm not sure if you get IP of the series (e.g. supcom) rights for the licensed software lot. You might only get sale rights.

I'm pretty sure you only get the rights to SupCom1 not to the actual IP. So you could port or re-release SupCom1 but you couldn't make SupCom3.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Double Fine owns Costume Quest and Stacking, this refers to THQ's publishing rights for XBLA/PSN (until those contracts expire).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Come on SEGA, you know you want it. I mean just look at it. Looooook

ik4HlAnDPhYTf.png

ifWOFICc8qLun.png

Donos

Check the post above yours.

*slaps forehead* i read your post as someone who's not into this kind of games and thinks it looks too "complex".

I had this mod or a similar installed years ago (at least 6). But one story mission had a problem with the mod so i was stuck. Time to hunt a cheap copy of Homeworld 2 again.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

Do it you chodes.
Yes, just imagine Nintendo shoehorning the Mario cast into every one of those games.

Odoul

It will suck so hard if Darksiders just fades to dust.

Didn't some German studio hire a bunch of their developers? Hopefully they pick up series too.

Or somebody else? Please! :[

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
It's funny, because Darksiders could've been a fresh new take on the hack n slash genre, which it needs. Problem is, both games failed to do that on separate occasions.

The first game had bland combat but it at least had a Zelda vibe going for it. Wasn't a bad game but it needed some work. Any smart dev would've use the first game as a template to expand on the set formula. Then the sequel came out...

Darksiders 2 has great music and arguably the best combat system a western developer has ever done. But the game was so bloated with content and things like unnecessary loot that it made exploration and grinding a chore. Not the mention the game really falls apart in the third act. Simply put, the game was too damn big for it's own good. Making things bigger does not automatically make it better. It's all about quality in the end, and the game's quality was lacking.

I love these types of games. I want to see them flourish and evolve as other genres have. Unfortunately, Darksiders as a series wasn't going to do that. Not under THQs hands at least.

Lime

So the big three aren't allowed for consideration to buy/salvage these lots?

As a consumer it doesn't make sense to wish/hope for console manufacturers to pick up IPs (unless all other options are out of the question, which they aren't in this case).

Read the linked thread.

Top Bottom