• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ now selling off Darksiders, Homeworld, Red Faction and More

M74

As a consumer it doesn't make sense to wish/hope for console manufacturers to pick up IPs (unless all other options are out of the question, which they aren't in this case).

Read the linked thread.

I read the thread when it was first posted. That's not the point. Soka apparently believes that Nintendo dev teams would do those franchises justice. Maybe he feels they would handle the salvage of those titles better than other developers, and would therefore prefer their involvement. You can debate the validity of that belief, but his expressing that opinion does not warrant your flippant response.

Sounds like if Lot 5 sells, it will be really interesting who picks it up. Lots of series with potential, I have a feeling that most of those titles we will never see again. Maybe Destroy all Humans and Titan Quest.

About the costume Quest/ Stacking lot 6, if it goes cheap it goes to doublefine. But I really don't know who else would even be interested.

Edit: nevermind . . . I thought this was just for the trademarks. If you get the old games that is worth something.

Fix up the PC versions and sell them on Steam.

Lime

I read the thread when it was first posted. That's not the point. Soka apparently believes that Nintendo dev teams would do those franchises justice. Maybe he feels they would handle the salvage of those titles better than other developers, and would therefore prefer their involvement. You can debate the validity of that belief, but his expressing that opinion does not warrant your flippant response.

Flippant? I think you're reading too much into my post.

You are correct that I may have misinterpreted her or his post and made a false conclusion, but the wish entailed the scenario which the linked thread described, which was the motivation for my reply.

It sort of sucks that they're selling them all in bundles, IMO. We likely won't be seeing a lot of those properties ever again...

As a consumer it doesn't make sense to wish/hope for console manufacturers to pick up IPs (unless all other options are out of the question, which they aren't in this case).

Read the linked thread.

Nintendo isn't just a console manufacturer, they make tons of games, too. Maybe he wants them to buy IPs not for exclusivity reasons, but because he feels they can do the IPs justice. No different from hoping Square Enix buys them, except that they don't make consoles.

Gamespawn

The problem I have with Nintendo getting any of these is that as soon as they make one, you'll never hear from it again. That and the fact that no one else can play them on anything else. I'd like to see Valve or EA get these, even Activision over Nintendo.

I feel confident that Sony, MS, and possibly Nintendo are watching this and will probably put in a bid for one or more of the lots. I would think EA, Ubi, Activision, T2, WB, and other medium to big players are also watching and bidding.

Let's try to guess the prices based on what was sold earlier:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509654

Relic Entertainment
Makers of Company of Heroes
Winning bidder: Sega, $26.6 million.
Runner-up: Zenimax Media, $26.3 million.

THQ Montreal
Makers of 1666 and Underdog, titles under development.
Winning bidder: Ubisoft, $2.5 million. No runner-up.

Evolve
(title in development at Turtle Rock Studios)
Winning bidder: Take-Two Interactive, $10.894 million.
Runner-up: Turtle Rock Studios, $250,000.

Volition, Inc.
Maker of Saints Row
Winning bidder: Koch Media, $22,312,925.
Runner-up: Ubisoft, $5.4 million.

Homefront
Released 2011; due for a sequel.
Winning bidder: Crytek. $544,218.
No runner-up.

Metro
Series; due for the sequel Metro: Last Light.
Winning Bidder: Koch Media, $5,877,551
Runner-up: Ubisoft: $5.175 million.

South Park
License; South Park: The Stick of Truth is due for release March 5.
Winning bidder: Ubisoft, $3,265,306
No runner-up.

Lot 1 (Red Faction franchise, future games and all released games copyright and TM) - I would guess this would go for at least $5 million. I think MS would be mostly interested in this lot. Others like Activision and WB would also be interested in this.
Lot 2 (Homeworld franchise, future games and all released games copyright and TM) - Maybe a million, I think T2 would be interested in this and putting it under Firaxis.
Lot 3 (MX franchise, future games and all released games copyright and TM) - Maybe a couple of million? Not sure who would be interested in buying this to be honest.
Lot 4 (Darksiders franchise, future games and all released games copyright and TM) - Sony would be mostly interested in this. I would guess this lot goes for at least $5 million as well. MS, WB, Ubi could also be interested in this lot.
Lot 5 (Different franchises, including uDraw, Destroy All Humans, and deBlob, future games and all released games copyright and TM) - This is the lot that most people will look for uDraw has potential and already ties up with WiiU doesn't it? Nintendo will be interested in this, but others will as well and I feel as soon as someone outbids them, Nintendo is out.
Lot 6 (Different franchise, including Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, and Stacking, future games and all released games copyright and TM) - This lot will be lucky to get $1 million. Sony owns Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune shows so they really have no incentive to pick this lot up.

I'm very interested in seeing where Darksiders ends up.
I really really hope that whoever picks it up funds the other two remaining planned games in the series, I want my Fury game :(

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I wonder if the geomod tech is stuck with the Red Faction IP, or is that something that Volition itself has, and whoever gets RF (if not Volition) has to come up with it's own concept/engine.

Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster
So I just registered for the THQ auction. I wanna buy me some #Homeworld All other bidders should just back away now, I got this.

Ohh fuck off.

Lime

RayGunBrown did an interview Paul Ruskay in lieu of his music contribution to Strike Suit Zero (which is excellent, btw). Some snippets:

Ruskay tells me about the unique challenges that presented themselves when making 'Great Wastelands' and the soundtrack itself. "The thing about how the music was created for Homeworld was it was done on a very primitive sequencer and sampler system. I was using the Emu Sampler with a JV-1080 that had a few expansion cards. Those were the two main sound sources. A lot of the game required a kind of ambient tone, almost like audio wallpaper. The interesting aspect about ambient music is that you get to explore the tone of sound and how different sounds blend to create an emotional response in the listener. The ambient music in Homeworld was designed to create these different emotional tones. It’s the balance of making something sparse yet not losing tension. Some of the sounds in the 'Great Wastelands' are filtered organic sounds that are halfway between music and sound design. 'Great Wastelands' has this feel of ambiguous eeriness and despair. At that point in the narrative you have just had an optimistic send off into the story and the next thing you get is the exact opposite."

Homeworld's legacy remains intact. Ruskay's involvement continued the following year with a stand-alone expansion, Homeworld: Cataclysm, and in Relic's 2003 full-blown sequel Homeworld 2. But that initial shock of the open, expansive void presented in the original game will never be matched. Ruskay is still very proud and slightly bemused of his work. "Part of the fun of working in videogames is the exploratory nature of some productions. On the Homeworld project, the innovative nature of the game lent itself to creating some interesting music. The soundtrack was created in that environment. The game looked so distinct, so the music had to be that way as well. It’s obviously very satisfying for the soundtrack to be a bit of a cult phenomena. It’s kinda cool that Homeworld is still remembered and people are still listening to what was created over a decade ago now. I suppose ultimately it is a peculiar thing."

Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster
So I just registered for the THQ auction. I wanna buy me some #Homeworld All other bidders should just back away now, I got this.

Ohh fuck off.

Didn't the Enhanced edition of BG use proprietary DRM? And being sold for fucking 19 euro? If so, this guy and his company need to stay away.

According to superannuation 4A/THQ game Deep Six. Apparently it was an underwater coop shooter where players fought aliens, Water was supposed to be an important dynamic in combat in a similar manner to sand in Spec Ops.

I know where you are coming from, and I agree -mostly-, but maybe new series for Santa Monica can help them get away from the GoW setting, I think they will be able to make a great DS game, heck I thought Santa Monica should handle Heavenly Swords 2 and try doing something different.

you have anyone else in mind for DS ?!, -I hope you don't say Platinum-

LOL, nah Platinum are good at a lot, but they don't need to do everything even if it has the potential to be awesome. ;)

I didn't choose these studios simply because I wanted them to turn DS into one of their properties... I chose them because I think they could take the basic concept and gameplay and put their own spin on it. DS is a good series, but it was also a flawed series. I think these devs would be able to make something truly amazing out of it.

The problem I see with Sant Monica is that they already make a game that is so similar that it would syphon creative ideas away from their main effort.

I'd rather see what Radical Entertainment could do with it, honestly. It'd given them something to work on to expand their scope a bit. Not to mention that the hiring involved to ramp up development could give some of the guys from Vigil some work. (The ones who haven't already been scooped up anyway...)

As far as first party devs are concerned...

Sony: Insomniac

Nintendo: Tokyo Development Group 1 or 2

Microsoft: Lionhead Studios or Rare

I think I'm going to try and hunt down a copy of Homeworld to buy online right now, I got rid of my disc a long time ago accidentally.

LOL, nah Platinum are good at a lot, but they don't need to do everything even if it has the potential to be awesome. ;)

I didn't choose these studios simply because I wanted them to turn DS into one of their properties... I chose them because I think they could take the basic concept and gameplay and put their own spin on it. DS is a good series, but it was also a flawed series. I think these devs would be able to make something truly amazing out of it.

The problem I see with Sant Monica is that they already make a game that is so similar that it would syphon creative ideas away from their main effort.

I'd rather see what Radical Entertainment could do with it, honestly. It'd given them something to work on to expand their scope a bit. Not to mention that the hiring involved to ramp up development could give some of the guys from Vigil some work. (The ones who haven't already been scooped up anyway...)

As far as first party devs are concerned...

Sony: Insomniac

Nintendo: Tokyo Development Group 1 or 2

Microsoft: Lionhead Studios or Rare

Radical Entertainment -the new studio- is a very good choice, sadly Crytek said they weren't interested in buying DS series.

I honestly have no idea which studio is the best, but if worse comes to worst I don't want to see DS die, just 3 more sequels :D

DocSeuss

RayGunBrown did an interview Paul Ruskay in lieu of his music contribution to Strike Suit Zero (which is excellent, btw). Some snippets:

Didn't the Enhanced edition of BG use proprietary DRM? And being sold for fucking 19 euro? If so, this guy and his company need to stay away.

Thanks for that interview.

Oster's Beamdog is a video game digital download service, and he got the rights to release it there first. He makes hardly any money of it (I think as it stands, they make just pennies from every Steam release of BG:EE after Steam and Atari's massive cuts); Beamdog's the only way they profit. Even GoG is bad for them.

Brofield

Nintendo, I swear to God you sons of bitches better buy this lot and do these franchises the Nintendo justice. They would be damn awesome with Nintendo teams behind them.

Do it you chodes.

Agreed. Seeing all those games listed would seriously fit so well (and also have a history of being dominantly on Nintendo platforms, except for DAH, which I have yet to play and have no clue what it's about outside of what the title suggests).

Hell, Deadly Creatures was even good for a chuckle on Wii. Interesting enough concept at the very least.

apana

I don't see Nintendo buying any of this stuff. They already have more IP than they can handle. I guess anything is possible though at the right price. Microsoft could definitely use some new properties. I thought they should have bid for Saints Row but I suppose the final price was too steep for that one.

Duxxy3

I don't see Nintendo buying any of this stuff. They already have more IP than they can handle. I guess anything is possible though at the right price. Microsoft could definitely use some new properties. I thought they should have bid for Saints Row but I suppose the final price was too steep for that one.

Yea... but all of them have mario in them lately.

Top Bottom