• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ's bankruptcy sale details: Auction on January 22nd, Will Allow Piecemeal Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

vireland

Why would Nintendo even want any of THQ?

They know fairly well that they don't have the audience (yet) to viably sustain a franchise like Saints Row and a studio like Violition. It would be a sure way to burn through a heap of money. They would be better off money hatting something...

All of THQ's IPs aren't of interest to them. They simply don't need new family-friendly IPs like de Blob or uDraw and stuff like Relic/CoH is a waste of money for everyone solely on the console side of things.

The only thing I can see them kinda interested in is Vigil. But again, it wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to buy them, instead it would make much more sense to approach the talent directly and get them to join Retro (since both studios are based in Austin).

The relative costs of acquiring and releasing these titles is miniscule compared to their advertising budget or the coming markdowns to the WiiU to unplug the overstocked retail channel. Picking up a few of these and making them WiiU exclusive would give them press and show that they're willing to think outside the box. It's really one of the best ways out of the WiiU corner they've painted themselves into.

Batman: AC; arbitrary delays everywhere
Lego Batman 2; arbitrary delays outside of the UK
Scribblenauts Unlimited; not out yet in Europe (arbitrary delay until feb 15th)

:/

Activision probably are the best of the bunch, but then... arbitrary activison tax

I guesssssss......

Although I don't really see much interest in any of them picking up Company of Heroes or Dawn of War

EDIT:
Best case scenario is 2K Games pick up the PC only franchises I guess... at least they're aware the PC exists.

I beg to differ until I see Red Dead running on my machine.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder if anyone will pick up Titan Quest.

The genre is pretty popular right now and that brand name has to be worth at least something.

demolitio

And the first pick in the 2013 THQ draft is...Relic's Company of Heroes 2, selected by Electronic Arts.

That's how the auction should be done. :p

Kimawolf

Lord just imagine if/when sometihng like this happens to a EA, a company with hundreds of titles and developer studios. It'd take months and months to sort it all out.

Eusis

The relative costs of acquiring and releasing these titles is miniscule compared to their advertising budget or the coming markdowns to the WiiU to unplug the overstocked retail channel. Picking up a few of these and making them WiiU exclusive would give them press and show that they're willing to think outside the box. It's really one of the best ways out of the WiiU corner they've painted themselves into.
It'd also be kind of funny for them to swoop in and grab Saints Row JUST so they could have that 3DS game made and released afterall.

TrutaS

I hope Relic gets picked up by a good company who will respect their work. That's my biggest worry of the bunch. I dreamed a dream when Valve bought Relic, but the tigers come at night...

Elixist

I hope Relic gets picked up by a good company who will respect their work. That's my biggest worry of the bunch. I dreamed a dream when Valve bought Relic, but the tigers come at night...

id be happy with that seems like a good fit, id also take square/enix. ea, would prob be bad with bullshit dlcs and watnot , but they would probably advertise it well * shrugs*

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wait hold up, the Relic being shafted by the sale is just a rumor right?

Everything is going to be fine right? :(

Yes, it was an incorrect rumor.

That said it's been like 3.5 hours since the auction started so presumably all the companies have purchased by now.

It's the waiting game until tomorrow's morning hearing at this point.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
In case anyone is interested:

The current high bid for Relic is...Sega.

The current high bid for Volition is...Koch Media.

More to come as I receive reports.

Card Boy

Banned

sonic___not_bad_with_plz_account_by_alexthehedgehogarts-d4jj4pn.png

Sega? Interesting, they have the Warhammer Fantasy license now (Creative Assembly are working on a Warhammer game), I could see them going to GW for the 40K license and handing it over to Relic. Could actually be the best outcome...

Matt

Hmm...a little unexpected, but makes sense for them to make a play.

But I doubt they will be the winning bidder, unless Volition goes for less then I would think they are worth (I assume that includes Saint's Row).

In case anyone is interested:

More to come as I receive reports.

Sega could give a good home to relic. I am ok with this. Better than bethesda. Or any other of the big american publishers.

PaulLFC

Koch Media is... surprising. Hoping Sega manage to get Relic though, that would be great.

Would be happy with WB picking something up, would not want Activision, and I'd only want EA to be given the WWE licence, but I guess that's WWE's decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom