• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of obscure games you don't think anyone else has played

ZZMitch

Lux DLX for PC

1222368318_lx1.jpg

Awesome online Risk game.

68-1.jpg

I'd always loved the Cryo games since I was a young fellow, especially being blown away by Lost Eden (not sure why, maybe the dinosaur aspect). Anway, so I wander into a games emporium and see this one hidden on the shelf at end of a rack. I see "Cryo", I buy. And it was a curious, wonderful game. Sure, it would be one of the most hideously janky, horrible, clunky things now - possibly even then, but you played as some guy in spandex bike shorts...who could FLY!

Creed_profilelarge.jpg

Now THIS one...this is damn obscure. The Creed was an Australian-developed cyberpunk-ey sandbox game akin to a more character-driven Syndicate Wars. IIRC, it was developed by Blue Tongue, who went on to do the Starship Troopers RTT game. Anyway, it had a full mission editor, so you could create triggers, events, everything. A great game, although almost entirely forgotten.

I played this on the PC (I think... I remember using a keyboard)... my friend was a lot better at it than I was :( But I remember thinking it was rad.

Gods_MD_cover.jpg

Might not be as obscure as I think, I just have never heard anyone ever make reference to it. Even at a video game company (which, admittedly, doesn't mean that there's more video game knowledge than a forum).

nexen

Pylon_Trooper said:
Creed_profilelarge.jpg

Now THIS one...this is damn obscure. The Creed was an Australian-developed cyberpunk-ey sandbox game akin to a more character-driven Syndicate Wars. IIRC, it was developed by Blue Tongue, who went on to do the Starship Troopers RTT game. Anyway, it had a full mission editor, so you could create triggers, events, everything. A great game, although almost entirely forgotten.
Hey! I have that game! I bought that and Discworld Noir during a vacation in London because I had never seen them state-side.

shrapnelmagnet said:
I played this on the PC (I think... I remember using a keyboard)... my friend was a lot better at it than I was :( But I remember thinking it was rad.

Gods_MD_cover.jpg

Might not be as obscure as I think, I just have never heard anyone ever make reference to it. Even at a video game company (which, admittedly, doesn't mean that there's more video game knowledge than a forum).
I was under the impression that this was a widely-loved old classic. Like pretty much all Bitmap Brothers games. Much more popular with the computer gamer crowd though.

dazed808

These all came with my Speccy 128k,it was the 1st comp I bought with my own money. I was sooo excited and played them endlessly as I had no more money for any new games for months!

Alchemist1.gif
Alchemist.gif
Defenda.gif
Defenda3D.gif
FuntoLearn1GIF.gif
FunToLearn.gif
Millionaire1.gif
Millionaire.gif
MissileDefenceCurrys.gif
MissileDefence.gif
NiftyLiftyCurrys.gif
NiftyLifty.gif
ProjectFutureCurrys.gif
ProjectFuture.gif
Snooker-Currys-1.gif
SnookerVisions.gif
StarWarrior1.gif
StarWarrior.gif
1994.gif
1994-Tenyearsafter.gif

They all came with these lovely colourful covers :lol
Alchemist-Currys.jpg

Thanks to the OP for making me go find these, it's brought a tear to the eye.

Not sure about no one playing it, but it's a game I never seen brought up anywhere.

586401_46770_front.jpg

It was such a frustrating game when I was a kid.

It must be Hot Blooded Family or Nekketsu Oyako, PS1 launch title in Japan. I was been in search of this one for a long time before getting it. I knew of its existence from Edge magazine (I think the Playstation launch number, january 1995 if I'm not wrong), but they had written the game was by Technos (Japan Corp.), not Technosoft and that was the only reason I would have wanted the game, actually a mediocre beat'em up.

nekketsu_oyako.PNG

nexen said:
Hey! I have that game! I bought that and Discworld Noir during a vacation in London because I had never seen them state-side.

Then you, sir, win something. It'll be a certificate you can print out at home, but damn, you're the first person in a decade or more that I've heard of actually KNOWING this game, let alone OWNING it!

AceBandage said:
Not sure about no one playing it, but it's a game I never seen brought up anywhere.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/1/586401_46770_front.jpg

It was such a frustrating game when I was a kid.

Most frustrating game for me as a kid was Kid Chameleon. The game had like 500 billion levels and didn't allow you to save at all. Think the cartridge ended up under my mom's car tire one morning. No clue how it got there.

sheep,%20dog%20.n.%20wolf.jpg

Sheep, Dog, 'n' Wolf, also know as Sheep Raider in the US. This is a really clever mix of platforming, stealth and tactics, and one of the best uses of the Warner Bros licence around. Basically you play as the bad guy, Ralph Wolf, and have to kidnap the sheep from under Sam Sheepdog's nose without being caught. You mainly accomplish this by creeping around and using all sorts of Acme gadgets. Tons of other WB characters like Daffy Duck, Marvin the Martian, Elmer Fudd and Roadrunner pop up too to help/harass you.

As far as I can remember, it was also one of the first games to ever use cel-shading to emulate the look of the cartoon. Really trippy as fuck soundtrack too. Some gameplay.

When I look back on it, although I was only young at the time, I think it was one of the best games I played on PlayStation.

robot

cboxshadowassaulttenchu.jpg

Shadow Assault: Tenchu for xbla

Game is very similar to Bomberman but with more stealth elements. You sneak around a board placing traps and whatnot while avoiding being spotted by the enemy. Each enemy has hitpoints so sometimes it takes a chain of traps to take some out. Really fun when you link up a whole slew of traps and watch a character fly across the room.

Oh and there are multiple characters to choose from. And a 4 player battle mode. Awesome game - highly recommend you try the xbla demo.

Youtube link

nexen

Pylon_Trooper said:
Then you, sir, win something. It'll be a certificate you can print out at home, but damn, you're the first person in a decade or more that I've heard of actually KNOWING this game, let alone OWNING it!
Yeah, I'm sort of an obsessive pc game collector. I spent part of my London trip searching stores for PC games that weren't released in the US.
I was actually on my honeymoon.

nexen said:
I was under the impression that this was a widely-loved old classic. Like pretty much all Bitmap Brothers games. Much more popular with the computer gamer crowd though.

Yeah, fair enough... Guess I shoulda known :(

Maybe this one is better?

hyper-blade-bx-f.jpg

Vorg

Banned
prodystopian said:
Guardian War for the 3do

1083975-guardian_war_super.jpg

I even made a thread about it, but I can't seem to find it now. I used to beg my friend to let me play this on his 3do. I think this is the game that made me realize I love RPGs. It was horribly broken, but I had to finish it.

Ugh.. I had this for the 3do and it was horrible. :S

nexen

shrapnelmagnet said:
Yeah, fair enough... Guess I shoulda known :(

Maybe this one is better?

hyper-blade-bx-f.jpg
Sorry.

Yeah that one is much more obscure.

Does anyone here know if the people that developed this game (Wizbang! Software Productions) did so at the University of New Orleans? I had heard that when the game was coming out but I never had it confirmed and google is not helping me.

If you like that one you should try:
1078418951-00.jpg

Rockets, grappling hooks, and crude physics.
I remember having a blast with this when it released. Not exactly worth full price but it was some good mindless fun.

The_Technomancer said:
Geneforge
Geneforge was awesome.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
tempus67 said:
In case you didn't know -they open-sourced this and it's still being actively developed today:

http://wz2100.net/

Great game for lan parties, especially on older hardware. Loved it back in the day and still play it now.
I know all about it. No one seems to ever care when I bring the game up though.

Dan Yo

Banned
I have The Dark Eye. I don't recall thinking it was anything special but it was a pretty decent Myst clone.

Bad Mojo was a pretty cool mention in this thread. Haven't played that one in forever.

I'd have to break out the old CD case of PC games or find my box of old Atari and Genesis games to really remember most of the obscure games I've played and own but one that came to mind when I saw the thread title was Haunting for Genesis.

Anyone heard of or played Haunting?

One more game..

WINBACK_COVERT_OPERATIONS_N.JPG

Operation Winback for PlayStation 2. This was an upconvert of the N64 game of the same name. It was the first PS2 game I ever played and I was floored by the graphics at the time (which look horrendously archaic today, although I still have a place in my heart for them).

You play as Jean-Luc Cougar, guy on the front cover and member of elite special forces unit SCAT. Mister personality, along with the rest of his SCAT squad, are tasked with infiltrating a terrorist base and disarming the threat of annihilation. The terrorist cell make up the bulk of the game's bosses; of course you can expect dreadful voice acting when they exchange words before battle. Most of your time however is spent shooting bad guys, solving simple "red key = red door" puzzles, and sneaking past near-impossible laser traps (and if you get zapped, Cougar's "huuuuaaarrrRRRRR" death rattle will be ingrained in your mind forever).

The multiplayer was also absolutely fantastic, with tons of maps, modes, 4-player split-screen and full bot support.

And one more thing I should mention - this game fucking gave birth to cover mechanics. Fuck Gears of War, fuck Kill.Switch. Back in 1999 on the N64, this invented it and did it really fucking well too. Yet, no one seems to remember it - at the time it was played off as a gimmick and awarded shit reviews. Funny how things change when they're given a new lick of paint. So, as a result of both this and its extreme age, the game can be found on eBay today for about $1. Is it worth it? Depends on how much you love innovative scat.

NZNova

BGBW said:
I got an Atari ST and a stack of games when I was young, half of which I've never played.
Of the ones I did, this I remember and have never seen mentioned anywhere:
ekopix.png

Surprised Wiki had an article on it.

Probably not as obscure, but I'm curious to see who else has played it:
2hp7lz6.png

Llamatron

Loved both Shufflepuck Cafe and Llamatron :D

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
a-train-hx.4766196.jpg

:lol

It's safe to assume that most of gaf found a way to play
thrillkillpost.jpg
as well back in the day but maybe others not so much.

Celine

Kishgal said:
Emerald Dragon. It's so wonderful (especially the PCE CD version).

Edit: Darn, looks like all of the images are broken there. I will have to find some myself when I get home.
Great game. It's a pity that the only english version available is the Super Famicom one.

Edit:
Wait, Aena was banned ?

64-1.jpg

Kwirk!

It was a puzzle game where you play as a red tomato with a mohawk and cool shades and pushed blocks around in a maze trying to get from one end of the level to the other. I remember getting stuck plenty of times as a kid. I wonder how i would do now.

Two that I can think of, at least that didn't get much of a release in the US.

Dead Ball Zone- I read a great write up of this in one of the English magazines on a trip over there, promptly frothed at the mouth of playing a speedball style game where you could violently kill and mame the opposing team with kicks in the nuts, uppercuts that made them barf, or chainsaw them to pieces.

Team Buddies- I got this for ten bucks new at EB once upon an eon ago. Never seen it since, and it goes for ridiculous prices on Ebay. Mine did too, and then I totally regretted it.

I hunted for these two games for years. I didn't find Dead Ball Zone until well into the PS2's life, at some hole in the wall outlet center on the way to Vegas.

I would love to hear that someone else in the US actually played these two games besides myself.

10001501.png

The best beat-em-up that Capcom ever made. Which happened to be the last one and one a lot of people don't know exists. While there were many others that Capcom made, Battle Circuit is just a showcase of what years of refinement to the genre can do and it shows the beauty of the CPS2 as well. 5 playable characters, 4 player support and everything else about it is just crack. If you haven't played then you're missing out. I really hope that Cyber Blue from this game is in TvC2. Would make me so happy.

rbs.png

Rushing Beat Shura could be hands down the best beat-em-up on the SNES. I can't stand The Peace Keepers though. The way the whole Rushing Beat series was handled in the states was just fucking horrible. I'd quickly snatch up the trilogy if it was ever released on the VC. In other words, you need to play this shit.

Evil_Zone.jpg

Evil Zone...$5 well fucking spent. It isn't a really deep fighter but it's fun. And for a game that hit the budget bin quickly the work that went into it was really great. And the VA work is actually fucking good. It works on a general base level and that's all it needs to be fun.

Plegends.png

Power Instinct the series is crack from part 1 to Ancestor's Festival. Atlus if your listening we need a Power Instinct collection. And make sure Purikura Daisakusen is in it too. My favorite game in the series is Legends. It's an upgrade to 2 but I can pick Keith Wayne twice so all win there. I'm really hoping that Atlus releases Ancestor's Festival on some system. XBLA with some online would be perfect. Damn good fighting game no matter which in the series you play.

Vice%20Project%20Doom.jpg

Ninja Gaiden + Spy Hunter = VICE: PROJECT DOOM. This game is one of my favorites on the NES and it doesn't get a lot of love or shine. This needs a VC release badly so more people can experience it. Play this shit.

street%20hoops1.gif

hoops95.png

Street Hoops and it's sequel Hoops '95 are decent arcade style basketball games. It has what could be the precursor to NBA Street's Gamebreaker Meter. But the other reason I love the series is the music. It's real generic Rap, Hip-Hop and Jazz inspired music but there is one track that sticks out. It's called Funky Heat and it has to be one of my favorite pieces of music in all of video games. LINK HERE!!!!!!!!! Now the major difference from Street Hoops and Hoops '95 is 4 player support and a much needed tweak to the Super Shot meter. I suggest you check them both out and see what you think.

924415_61772_front.jpg

THE MUTHAFUCKIN RUMBLE FISH!!!!! I just love everything about the game from looks, control and sound. It's good from end to end and a must play for any fighting game fan. There is a sequel but unless you own an Atomiswave there's no other way to play it as of now. But that will be a day of remembrance for me when I do.

NZNova

Dra-Q said:
I'll give you:

Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 for the Commodore Amiga.

Lotus_turbo_challenge_2.gif

lotus_turbo_challenge_2_08.gif

Best theme-song in a videogame evar: youtube

I don't think that qualifies as obscure, unless you're calling the Amiga in general obscure. The Lotus series was pretty popular on the Amiga.

Clydefrog

Kabouter said:
[IMG/http://theangrypixel.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/traffic_department_2192_1.png[/IMG]
Did anyone here ever play Traffic Department 2192?

you're not alone, my friend! loved that game!!

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds said:
Does The Guardian Legend count as obscure? Loved the shit out of that game when I was a kid.

[IMG/http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/eviljin1337/nes/tt/t2/TheGuardianLegend.jpg[/IMG]

super super super game

I NEED SCISSORS said:
One more game..

[IMG/http://www.gifgratis.net/immagini/PS2/O/WINBACK_COVERT_OPERATIONS_N.JPG[/IMG]

Operation Winback for PlayStation 2. This was an upconvert of the N64 game of the same name. It was the first PS2 game I ever played and I was floored by the graphics at the time (which look horrendously archaic today, although I still have a place in my heart for them).

You play as Jean-Luc Cougar, guy on the front cover and member of elite special forces unit SCAT. Mister personality, along with the rest of his SCAT squad, are tasked with infiltrating a terrorist base and disarming the threat of annihilation. The terrorist cell make up the bulk of the game's bosses; of course you can expect dreadful voice acting when they exchange words before battle. Most of your time however is spent shooting bad guys, solving simple "red key = red door" puzzles, and sneaking past near-impossible laser traps (and if you get zapped, Cougar's "huuuuaaarrrRRRRR" death rattle will be ingrained in your mind forever).

The multiplayer was also absolutely fantastic, with tons of maps, modes, 4-player split-screen and full bot support.

And one more thing I should mention - this game fucking gave birth to cover mechanics. Fuck Gears of War, fuck Kill.Switch. Back in 1999 on the N64, this invented it and did it really fucking well too. Yet, no one seems to remember it - at the time it was played off as a gimmick and awarded shit reviews. Funny how things change when they're given a new lick of paint. So, as a result of both this and its extreme age, the game can be found on eBay today for about $1. Is it worth it? Depends on how much you love innovative scat.

I got that game for free from a friend. Hated it :lol . It's still sitting in my CD case with some other PS2 games though.

Solune

577476_17603_front.jpg

Shodai Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-Kun
First played this game because when I searched "River City Ransom 2" this came up :lol

Xandra_no_Daib.jpg

Whirlo
Played this game because hes a cool looking character they put in Card Saga Wars haha.

Some stuff I can think of from this gen. If I really try and think, I'm sure there are quite a few old C64 games that not many would have played, or at least remember playing :p

Oshiri Kajiri Mushi
pa.115780.1.jpg

Osouji Sentai Clean Keeper
pa.120710.1.jpg

Pinky Street Kira Kira Music Hour
PA.68600.013.jpg

Pinky Street Kira Kira Music Night
pa.107594.1.jpg

Kaitou Rousseau
PA.58833.007.jpg

nexen said:
Does anyone here know if the people that developed this game (Wizbang! Software Productions) did so at the University of New Orleans? I had heard that when the game was coming out but I never had it confirmed and google is not helping me.

Most I know is from an Activision rep who I e-mailed about who owned the rights to the Hyperblade IP (super long ago when I was all "lol i wanna work in video games"). She told me that the developers had scattered "into the winds" (her words, iirc) and I think they still owned it, but I would've had to track them down (somehow). Not much help, though :(

Still, loved that game to death.

PBalfredo

6qiirt.jpg

2q87f6h.jpg

nqxvnm.gif

Strike Gunner S.T.G.

Pretty fun shmup for the SNES. Best part was the special weapon you could select before each mission. They cover a pretty wide range. Some were damn powerful, like the Megabeam Cannon where you had a single shot of a huge beam twice as wide as your fighter that could one-shot a boss. Thing is you could select a weapon for one stage only, after that it's gone. So if you wasted the top row weapons in early stages you would have a tough fight in the later stages.

Also, your F-15 flies in space. Two-thirds of the game takes place on Earth fighting armies but then your guy is like "F this. Time to blow up aliens. I'm gonna fly to the moon somehow!"

Top Bottom