• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of obscure games you don't think anyone else has played

dazed808

After my earier dig through my childhood, I thought I'd go through the lists here and holy shit the memories! :D

I'm only up to B and there's loads I could list here. Most wouldn't of heard of them, let alone played them but this is the one of the most obscure I can remember owning, though I don't actually recall playing it.

boredoftherings-Silversoft.jpg
BoredOfTheRings.gif

dazed808 said:
After my earier dig through my childhood, I thought I'd go through the lists here and holy shit the memories! :D

I'm only up to B and there's loads I could list here. Most wouldn't of heard of them, let alone played them but this is the one of the most obscure I can remember owning, though I don't actually recall playing it.

boredoftherings-Silversoft.jpg
BoredOfTheRings.gif

I enjoyed the book.
Didn't know there was a game.

Aesthet1c

Talladega Knight said:
anybody ever play skitchin'? i used to play the shit out of that game at my cousin's house cuz i didn't own a genesis:

g067662sl87.jpg

Dude seriously.. Skitchin is such an awesome game. I also have mad love for Metal Storm, but I swear I played that game on the SNES, does anyone know if there is any kind of sequel to that game?

And for my contribution:

Shattered Galaxy
ShatteredGalaxy2.jpg

My friend and I used to play this game non stop. It's basically what Command & Conquer 4 is trying to do now, but way better, and like 10 years ago.

jay

prodystopian said:
Guardian War for the 3do

1083975-guardian_war_super.jpg

I even made a thread about it, but I can't seem to find it now. I used to beg my friend to let me play this on his 3do. I think this is the game that made me realize I love RPGs. It was horribly broken, but I had to finish it.

Hey, I have that. Played some of it, too.

Also, Skitchen rules.

Oh hey, I had Tooth Invaders too. Best game about dental health out there.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
electricpirate said:
Avara

avara-102535-2.jpeg

Old mac robot shooter, that was way, way ahead of its time in terms of gameplay, even if it was visually minimalistic, and had really weird netcode. It parsed some kind of drawing format/rtf into levels, with it's own scripting languague. It was one of the first games I remember with an in game tracker for MP games, and the only one on the mac for a long time. Actually, people started to use it to organize warcraft games later on.

Man, I played so much Avara back in the day. Absolutely one of my greatest early online gaming memories.

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
I always thought they weren't rare, but maybe they are.

Captain Skyhawk (NES)
Silent Scope (NES)

I used to play the crap out of both of these games and I've yet to meet another person who has.

Rainier

This being GAF, I'm sure this one isn't considered obscure... but no one I know ever played this game.

2vshg5u.jpg

Better than the original Wolfenstein game, and totally rocked if you had an S3 Trio and a Gravis Ultrasound!

Video

Mac Attack
A shooter on a horizontal plane in which spiders and other "viruses" come at you and you have to shoot them down- Only images I could find on the web-

macattackicon.gif

macattack.gif

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The awesome box art in this thread makes me long for the days of cardboard cases and overprices cartridges

QUOTE=ReXXXSoprano]

street%20hoops1.gif

hoops95.png

Street Hoops and it's sequel Hoops '95 are decent arcade style basketball games. It has what could be the precursor to NBA Street's Gamebreaker Meter. But the other reason I love the series is the music. It's real generic Rap, Hip-Hop and Jazz inspired music but there is one track that sticks out. It's called Funky Heat and it has to be one of my favorite pieces of music in all of video games. LINK HERE!!!!!!!!! Now the major difference from Street Hoops and Hoops '95 is 4 player support and a much needed tweak to the Super Shot meter. I suggest you check them both out and see what you think.

holy shit

ReyBrujo

Lots of NES games! Kick Master was a blast, your character leveled up and learned new kicks, plus he could collect spells. Also, something about Banana Prince, one of the best platformers I played. A pity it was in Japanese and the boss at level 5-3 actually asked you questions in Japanese. Took a lot of trial and error to get the list of 64 correct answers! Then the first two Captain Tsubasa games, they were in Japanese but the mechanism was pretty simple once you remembered what did every key do.

Gameboy415

MattyGrovesOrMe said:

I see this and raise you the Japan-only sequel!

Asmik-kun_World_2.jpg

(I just bought a CIB copy last weekend :D )

Also, I doubt anyone else has every played this:

all_night_nippon_mario.jpg

All-Night-Nippon Super Mario Bros.
A special version of SMB that replaces most of the enemies with Japanese celebrities.
It was given out as a promotional prize in the 80's.
I have a real copy (not CIB) on a Famicom Disk Card. :)

pslong009

Neo Member
KlashBall for NES:

Klashball_cover.jpg

Was a futuristic game that was sort of a combination of basketball and hockey, with powerups. You couldn't save the game, so if you wanted to complete the league, you basically had to play for 3.5 - 4 hours straight. My brother and I really liked the game, but only could find it at this one rental place.

I've also never heard of anyone else playing Curse of the Catacombs, but I just looked it up on Wikipedia and it was developed by John Carmack and John Romero. I had no idea.

Overlord_%281990%29_Coverart.png

Supremacy / Overlord - again, another one I've never heard of anyone else playing, though it could have been popular for all I know. I have a hard time remembering what it was, but basically you were in a space system with a computer opponent with a certain number of planets in the system, and you were trying to colonize the other planets and destroy the opponent.

Of the games listed up to this point that I've played: Netstorm, Sword Quest, and Quattro Sports.

Ooh, also, did anyone else play Solaris on Atari 2600? Was there an actual ending to that game?

Solaris_Atari_game_screenshot.JPG

diglyd

Banned
One of my favorite games and one of the first 3 games I ever bought back before most gamers were even a twinkle in their daddy's eyes.

4jq2ag.jpg

b5mxw9.png

2vjxwmu.png

The game was amazing and still incorporates features that have never been incorporated in recent games like the ability to split your party in half and leave them in town doing jobs and making money while the rest of you adventure or having a scope where killing the end boss is not the focus but keeping him bound instead through the artifacts you collect.

Its interesting how in Magic Candle and so many CRPGs of the time you had to wander around and figure stuff out and type your questions to talk about specific subjects and actually think of what you wanted to ask based on the npc cues. In a way it was refreshing from the current crop of games that have a thousand arrows pointing you and guiding you every step of the way.

Speaking of which does anyone know who holds the copyrights and intelectual property rights to the Mindcraft games like Magic Candle 1,2, and 3?

This one brings back memories too...not sure if any of you remeber Windwalker. I loved this game

2ch0388.jpg

24xeuso.jpg

mclem

confused said:
Loved that game on my ST as a kid. Llamasoft ruled, see also revenge of the mutant camels
Revenge-of-the-Mutant-Camels.png
The *real* brownie points are scored if you can identify the creature *riding* the camel.

Marvie_3

Banned
RoryDropkick said:
I just thought of another one... Hogs of War?
I love this game. :D

My contribution:

303cwfc.jpg

Kind of nifty little rhythm game. Soundtrack is great too. A lot of classic gaming music as well as other songs.

jay

diglyd said:
This one brings back memories too...not sure if any of you remeber Windwalker. I loved this game

2ch0388.jpg

24xeuso.jpg

How was Windwalker? I played Moebius on the C64 when I was really young but could never get very far but have always had a weird nostalgia for the game.

pslong009

Neo Member
diglyd said:
One of my favorite games and one of the first 3 games I ever bought back before most gamers were even a twinkle in their daddy's eyes.

The game was amazing and still incorporates features that have never been incorporated in recent games like the ability to split your party in half and leave them in town doing jobs and making money while the rest of you adventure or having a scope where killing the end boss is not the focus but keeping him bound instead through the artifacts you collect.

Its interesting how in Magic Candle and so many CRPGs of the time you had to wander around and figure stuff out and type your questions to talk about specific subjects and actually think of what you wanted to ask based on the npc cues. In a way it was refreshing from the current crop of games that have a thousand arrows pointing you and guiding you every step of the way.

Speaking of which does anyone know who holds the copyrights and intelectual property rights to the Mindcraft games like Magic Candle 1,2, and 3?

I don't think Magic Candle is all that obscure, but it's absolutely a fantastic classic. No idea who has the IP now, but I loved Magic Candle II. Didn't get Magic Candle I, and couldn't beat Magic Candle III - just hit a point where no one in my family could figure out what to do next. Absolutely fantastic set of games, though. Would be really cool to see that series either redone or reimagined today.

Carnby

jibblypop said:

i love this game. I rented a 3DO system 3 times just to play it when it first came out.

great game. its soundtrack was all classical music, some including Wagner. and video clips of historical significance were presented upon completion of a stage. i recall one being Joe Dimaggio's retirement speech.

recently i paid too much for a copy on PSone.

jay said:
Wile E. Coyote is a wolf?

The two character designs are nearly identical, yeah:

"Ralph (named after a Warner Bros. employee) has virtually the same character design as another Chuck Jones character, Wile E. Coyote—brown fur, wiry body, and huge ears, but with a red nose in place of the Coyote's black one; (usually) white eyes instead of Wile E.'s yellow; and, occasionally, a fang protruding from his mouth. He also shares the Coyote's appetite, and persistent use of Acme Corporation products, but he covets sheep instead of road runners and, when he speaks, doesn't have the upper-class accent or the egotistical bearing of the Coyote. Another crucial difference is that of personality: Ralph does not have the fanatical drive of the Coyote in pursuing his prey, preferring to abandon his chase at the end of the working day."

This is probably why they could shoehorn Road Runner into the game without much difficulty.

Not sure how obscure this game is, but
D_Generation_Coverart.png

My cousin had this game for his computer and I don't recall either of us ever completing it because I believe we ended up getting stuck( we couldn't get pass some trap, iirc).

diglyd

Banned
jay said:
How was Windwalker? I played Moebius on the C64 when I was really young but could never get very far but have always had a weird nostalgia for the game.

I liked it much more then the first. The side scrolling arcade fighting style combat is what I remember most when I had to time my moves to kill some ninja with a kick.

At the time I liked the oriental overtones and game elements like karma, and in the sequel "balance" and "spirit".

Origin put out some nice games and I cried on the inside when it was shattered.

On the subject of asian games of old....I don't know if you ever tried this one but out of every game this one has always been in my top 10 courtesy of Mr. Sid Meyer...

The game was bad ass....how you could take on a bride, asassinate your rivals, fail and loose honor and possibly loose your bride, and having your army leave you...leading to you eventually having to commit suicide...fending off assassin ninja who came to destroy you, leading armies...frikkin epic. This is the one game I wish would get a sequel instead of a constant stream of Civilizations.

Possibly the greatest and quite obscure Samurai game ever made!

14wg94p.jpg

k9j14z.jpg

dxe77t.jpg

2aguib6.jpg

2im8aaa.jpg

Rainier said:
This being GAF, I'm sure this one isn't considered obscure... but no one I know ever played this game.

2vshg5u.jpg

Better than the original Wolfenstein game, and totally rocked if you had an S3 Trio and a Gravis Ultrasound!

Video
Haha, I remember this game came out on almost the same day as the DOOM shareware. Definition of "dead on arrival".

edit: for those who haven't played both, Blake Stone was like a copy of Street Fighter 1 releasing a week before Street Fighter 2.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Drkirby said:
Warzone 2100

90210_pc.jpg

Loved that RTS. Also had a PS1 version, but the PC one is much easier to play. While I think the balence was broken to an extent (Where after the long tech tree you could get a long range weapon that you couldn't counter without the same weapon when used correctly), I loved the unit customization so much.
That game was awesome.

I bought this one because of an Idle Thumbs podcast. They said it was like Lemmings with wizards and then the next thing I know I was ordering it.

King20Arthursb.jpg

SapientWolf said:
That game was awesome.

I bought this one because of an Idle Thumbs podcast. They said it was like Lemmings with wizards and then the next thing I know I was ordering it.

King20Arthursb.jpg
This game kicks ass. It supports the SNES mouse and I highly recommend using it if you have one.

Amneisac

Paladin's_Quest_box_art.jpg

I'm not sure how obscure this game is, but I still have the SNES cart, box and manual. I really, really didn't like it for some reason... I think it was too hard or something, I haven't played it in years.

C-Jo

I NEED SCISSORS said:
That game is fucking awesome. :lol

I had the N64 version back in the day and ended up buying both it and its shitty sequel on PS2.

Also, while they're not the most obscure games in the world, I've pretty much gotten 100% on every Shutoko/Kaido Battle game on PS2. Massively underrated guilty pleasures of mine. I dunno what Genki is up to these days, but I even enjoyed the lone 360 entry.

Beast Wrestler: Genesis wrestling/genetic engineering sim with awesome box art.

World Games: Track and Field meets ESPN2. Caber toss bitches.

Rise of the Dragon: Snatcher meets Big Trouble in Little China mixed with heroin.

larvi

pslong009 said:
Supremacy / Overlord

I've got a copy of that, seemed to be something like Populous. I don't remember playing it a lot but I do remember that the DOS version required you to reboot your computer when done as there was no way to exit the program. This annoyed me so it was never high on my playlist.

diglyd said:

The Magic Candle games were very poplular in their day. I have all 3 plus the spinoff game Mindcraft did, Prophecy of the Shadow. Great RPGs for sure.

SlipperySlope said:
My vote is Big Rig. I'd be surprised if anyone else here played it. I liked this game.

That looks neat, I love playing ascii and text games too and I've never heard of that one. Reminds me a bit of this one, one of my faves:

rockstar.png

Rockstar from Wizard games, you have to survive the Rock business and create chart topping records. Wizard games made lots of neat ascii games, a lot of great soccer/F1/horse racer sims too. I bought the complete collection on CD a while back and still play them. I think you can still get their games from here:

http://www.wizardgames.com/

conman

Pretty much any TG16 game could be considered "obscure" here in the US. :D A couple that others may not know, but that I really liked:

Tricky Kick - A puzzle game similar to Adventures of Lolo.

Tricky%20Kick.png

Veigues Tactical Gladiator - A lesser known side-scrolling mech shooter.

3391.png

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Frank "Trashman" Reynolds said:
Does The Guardian Legend count as obscure? Loved the shit out of that game when I was a kid.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/eviljin1337/nes/tt/t2/TheGuardianLegend.jpg

I remember my friend having that when we were kids. It was hard as nails, and I don't think we ever got further than level 2 or 3.

Anyway, I don't know if it's all that obscure or not..

transbot.gif

I got it from my uncle when I was a kid, as he used to drive trailers around Europe. I was so hyped when he told me he'd bought me a new Master System game. The hype quickly deflated when I actually got the game. It's a repetitive, mediocre side-scrolling shoot 'em up that never ends, as the 4-5 levels in the game just keep on repeating forever.

I also had this:
myherofrontsmboxart_160w.jpg

It's a so-so sidescrolling beat em up where you have to save the main character's girlfriend that's been kidnapped by some punk guy.

Pennybags

Treasures_of_the_Deep.jpg

Please tell me that some of you have had the opportunity to play it.

The music (composed by Tommy Tallarico) and atmosphere in this game is simply amazing. I loved nearly aspect: fighting men/sea creatures/sea monsters, netting dolphins and lobster traps for cash, scouting ahead with the ROV, traveling through Atlantis, detonating nukes undersea, and riding on the back of a Manta Ray.

Best of all, there is a hidden bonus level in which you play as a shark!

Beautiful music!
[Intro Cinematic + Gameplay]

Top Bottom